PDA

View Full Version : Aun'shi, what happened to him?

imrhati
02-04-2006, 22:32
Hey as you all know in the new codex aun'shi is gone. i would like to know what the hell happened as he was one of my favourite characters and had a cool model to boot. So was retired by the ethereals or by a lascannon?

sigur
02-04-2006, 23:59
Non-background remark: I'm pretty sure that GW will put his rules online without any major updates pretty soon. I mean, there are lots of people out there who have the miniature and he surely has some fans. GW wouldn't just write some sentences or a short article of the heroic death of one of the most important Etherals. Of the Tau special characters, he's my favorite.

Gyulkus Chaos Saurus
03-04-2006, 00:02
Well, seeing as how they advanced the timeline, And in the old codex it said he was "old for a tau" I think it's safe to assume he retired or died of old age.

damz451
03-04-2006, 00:55
wow someone that dies of old age in 40k, i think thats unheard of

imrhati
03-04-2006, 01:01
ya me, my friend and the redshirts were making fun of his so called retirement story. wetn somethign like this, "Ya so i hear Aun'shi is retired in the new 'dex?"
"Ya retired by a power fist!"

Rogue Sun
03-04-2006, 01:11
The only problem with the advanced timeline theory is that O'Shovah was about 3 centuries old, so technically he was older than Aun'shi, so why is he still around?

damz451
03-04-2006, 01:47
wasnt it theorised that O'Shova actually dies but someone uses his suit and carries on his legend? or that he has a chaos artifact or sumthin

Falkus
03-04-2006, 02:11
The only problem with the advanced timeline theory is that O'Shovah was about 3 centuries old, so technically he was older than Aun'shi, so why is he still around?

That's one of the big questions.

Inquisitor Engel
03-04-2006, 02:51

There are two alternatives:

1. Farsight is not the same individual, but is many Tau taking on his name and title after being trained to a T by the original or their respective mentors, in the same manner as The Phantom or the Dread Pirate Roberts. It creates a legend, and what instills more fear than someone so immortal?

2. Farsight has had his life unnaturally lengthened by the Dawn Blade's.

Aun'shi however, despite being younger than Aun'va, is dead or retired to one of the Garden septs. :p

Escaflowne_Z
03-04-2006, 08:49
I hope that GW keeps it legal to play Aun'shi. With the new codex's ability to take the Honour Guard firewarriors, it even matches up with his fluff. I've gotta say, Aun'shi is probably my favorite special character in all of 40k. *Mephiston stares angrily from shelf*

Khaine's Messenger
03-04-2006, 09:07
So was retired by the ethereals or by a lascannon?

The last piece of background I have heard of (I haven't seen it for a while) in relation to him is mention of him travelling to the Damocles Gulf with a minor expeditionary team to do some probing in the Farsight Enclaves region. But the CPF rules went up and down really fast-like, and any background that accompanied it might not be considered even crawling towards "official."

And to be honest? I didn't really care for him...nor do I particularly care for any of the Tau special characters.

Dakkagor
03-04-2006, 09:16
Ya retired by a power fist!"

Or by a warbosses powerklaw, as was the case last game I played.

Bwahahahaha.

As it stands, I reckon he has probably either been killed in the line of fire, or he retired peacefully. He might become available as a historical character.

TheSonOfAbbadon
03-04-2006, 12:39
If he had died in the line of fire there would have been a short story on it in the new Tau Codex or something.

I prefer to think he retired.

Xisor
03-04-2006, 15:07
The lines from Armada, which is the final[to date] mention of Aun'shi read as follows:

This vessel may be the last of the Explorer class starships to be built on Dalíyth. Explorer construction is now being wound down and
most work involves converting the older Mk XXIIIís to the Mk XXIV design developed by the Water Caste of Boríkan. KoríO Kessan is a
veteran captain of this class of ship and together with the bulk of his crew was assigned his new vessel after surviving an attack by Ork
pirates on the edge of the Damocles Gulf. The Dalíyth Galíleath Kessan has been outfitted with Mantas and is to be the flagship for a major expedition
into the Farsight Enclave under the overall direction of Auníshi himself and including a scientific team lead by the venerated biologist PoríO Jessíl.
Much of the Explorerís cavernous hold has been converted to laboratories prior to the mission.

Given that they mix up Water Caste with Earth Caste, I'd say it's quite abhorrent. However, assuming those are merely errors then it is safe to safe to say that Aun'shi should reach the Farsight Enclaves...sometime.

However, I suspect GW will simply dissown this bit of fluff.

Xisor

The Mighty Gnoblar
03-04-2006, 15:27
The background in the old codex says he was ordered to lead new expeditions so retirement went out the window, I think its safe to assume hes either died of old age (though the new dex makes the lifespan of the tau seem much much longer then before) or in battle.

I think a third option would be he could have been bumped off like Brightsword was, he was close to the Fire caste and the higher ups may have considered him compramised. The last thing they would want is an Ethereal in the hands of Farsight sympathisers

TheSonOfAbbadon
03-04-2006, 15:34
Perhaps GW will start a campaign in the farsight enclaves with Aun'Shi returning as a special character with a couple of new rules?

Charax
03-04-2006, 15:40
He was killed by the other ethereals for having hooves and not feet

The Mighty Gnoblar
03-04-2006, 15:50
He was killed by the other ethereals for having hooves and not feet

I wish whoever drew that pic had done his research :rolleyes:

Anyway a campaign in the Farsight Enclaves, intresting but unlikely I think any rules for Aun'Shi will appear on the web along with the Kroot special character (cant remember name Ankh Morpork or something...:p )

minibutmighty
03-04-2006, 22:21
I keenly imagine that he is kicking back on a beach somewhere on a garden sept after a hard days work acting in propoganda films. :)

However it is just as likely hes still out there, wondering why the ethereals went from cool jedi like robes to space popes in the space of just 4 years.....

cardboard_armour
03-04-2006, 22:39
Unlike most units special characters are expendable matter when writing a codex due to the current trend of 2-3 SC per book rather than half a dozen and that most players don't use them. They have to be very very important to never get cut.
They don't nescessarily die fluff-wise. They're just out of the spotlight.

I personally love Aun-Shi even though I don't play Tau even though his h-t-h bias doesn't really fit in with the Ethereal sect or the Tau modus operandi.
He's just *******' cool. Like someone snuck a Jar o' Jedi Juice into the Codex at the last minute.
This time around it seems that the guy who created Aun'Va was affected by papal radiation given off by the passing of Jean Paul II. :eyebrows:

Psiweapon
04-04-2006, 00:42
I wish whoever drew that pic had done his research :rolleyes:

Anyway a campaign in the Farsight Enclaves, intresting but unlikely I think any rules for Aun'Shi will appear on the web along with the Kroot special character (cant remember name Ankh Morpork or something...:p )

What picture? O_o

GodofWarTx
04-04-2006, 02:08
there are lots of people out there who have the miniature and he surely has some fans. GW wouldn't just write some sentences or a short article of the heroic death of one of the most important Etherals.

Oh you mean like Captain Tycho or Elrad? =P

ankellagung
04-04-2006, 07:19
Eldrad has CA rules, I can check the number for you if you want (post death rules that is, includes the "I failed my Perils of the Warp test onboard a Blackstone" story)

Romanus
04-04-2006, 08:12
What picture? O_o

Xenology book had feet on Tau instead of Hooves.

Aun'shi is one of the coolest models, I must say. But I'm wondering about how the hell did shadowsun train with farsight:wtf: . It said that it was possible that someone kept taking over farsights suit when the onew before died (or that his life was was lengthed from exposure to the Dawn blade) but now it seems Tau can live for just aslong as there imperial counter parts. oh well. I'm guessing that Aun'shi is enjoying a peaceful retirement studying 'the force' :eyebrows: i.e. pyskers.

Cheers, Romanus

ArtificerArmour
04-04-2006, 10:43
I'm presuming the tau empire does indeed have access to life extending drugs, but just for the higher ups.

Shadowsun will probably take them, being an ethereal lapdog/bitch to aun'va. all the ethereals may either naturally live longer (due to eldar interference ;)) or due to drugs they hoarde to themselves and farshite - well, he's got a daemon/eldar/magically sparkly blade, but ignoring that I'm sure he's over run a stock of rejuv drugs on some Imperial world.

boogle
04-04-2006, 11:40
as far as i'm aware, they have dispensed with Farsight being centuries old and he is around the same age as Shadowsun (i'll check this afternoon)

ArtificerArmour
04-04-2006, 13:17
Does it say they learnt together?

Couldn't it mean they studied the writings of the same teacher at different times?

TheSonOfAbbadon
04-04-2006, 14:32
I thought they were just both pupils of a guy called Puretide, although someone on here suggested they were both just pupils of Puretide's teachings but not actually Puretide himself.

ArtificerArmour
04-04-2006, 14:36
well i presumed puretide was old. Like Sun Tzu or whatever he's called.

The Mighty Gnoblar
04-04-2006, 16:32
Before reading the codex I had assumed it was that they had studies the same teachings of Puretide, but now I have the codex it states Puretide is a hermit who teaches those who seek him out rather then his teachings are avaliable to all.

The whole Tau life span needs a overhaul either like in the orginal they are short lived or they can live centuries. Personly I perfer the original short lived Tau although I can see the Ethereals having longer lifespans thanks to drugs or tech

Lame Duck
04-04-2006, 17:00
hopefully he died, what was a blue skinny thin prancing about with a stick for killin orks with ease. hope they got the better of him head on a chopping block and........ *WHACK* hmmmmmm.......* WHACK WHACK WHACK.. BLAM BLAM*

Evilgenius
04-04-2006, 17:18
wow someone that dies of old age in 40k, i think thats unheard of

I think Nork Deddog died of old age.

TheSonOfAbbadon
04-04-2006, 17:37
hopefully he died, what was a blue skinny thin prancing about with a stick for killin orks with ease. hope they got the better of him head on a chopping block and........ *WHACK* hmmmmmm.......* WHACK WHACK WHACK.. BLAM BLAM*

He was not a skinny blue guy prancing around killing Orks with ease with a stick.

He was a blue ninja of medium build running and jumping around killing anyone with relative ease with a seven foot long metal pole with big blades on the end!

ArtificerArmour
04-04-2006, 17:54
I think Nork Deddog died of old age.

Care to reference that?

Tanith Ghost
04-04-2006, 18:49
He was not a skinny blue guy prancing around killing Orks with ease with a stick.

He was a blue ninja of medium build running and jumping around killing anyone with relative ease with a seven foot long metal pole with big blades on the end!

No, he is a skinny blue idiot killing orks way too easily. :p

But he didn't die to them. Being a tau, he'll never be good enough to have that in common with the likes of Captain Tycho or Seargent Naaman.

I'm hoping for a footnote reading 'the bugs made tau burgers out of him.'

Psiweapon
04-04-2006, 19:01
No, he is a skinny blue idiot killing orks way too easily. :p

But he didn't die to them. Being a tau, he'll never be good enough to have that in common with the likes of Captain Tycho or Seargent Naaman.

I'm hoping for a footnote reading 'the bugs made tau burgers out of him.'
Wow. So imperial scum recognize they can be defeated! ;)

Tanith Ghost
04-04-2006, 19:15
Glorious deaths are for heros, not alien scum. Especialy not TAU scum.;)

Havoc
05-04-2006, 15:17
After reading the new tau codex it says nothing about farsight being extremely old and that him and shadowsun were pupils to puretide, maybe tau have a life span like humans, and they must have life extending technologies since they are more technologically advanced then the imperium

TheSonOfAbbadon
05-04-2006, 15:41
If they do it's Ethereals only, because Farsight is apparently 350+ years old, and Tau sometimes comment on how he cannot have possibly lived that long.

So either his sword is a daemon weapon which is keeping him alive, or it's another Tau taking over the role of Farsight everytime the previous one dies.

Evilgenius
05-04-2006, 17:49
Care to reference that?

Page 86 of the old IG codex. "He retired at the age of 110, returning to the homeworld of Formand VI to live out his final years as Chief of his people."

Lame Duck
06-04-2006, 16:41
The tau idea of a gloroius death is getting caught and butchered by combat maniacs* while retreating.

*to tau combat maniacs are any other race basically

boogle
18-04-2006, 14:07
well here's the link to his fate:http://uk.games-workshop.com/tau/aunshi/1/, it seems like GW really aren't going to bother to re-write the rules for the older special characters anymore, they are however allowing you to 'make them up' if you desire

KaisO
18-04-2006, 18:42
I'm using the old rules combines with the new inspiring pressance/ price of failer. Most people seem to agree with this.