PDA

View Full Version : dreadknight, worth getting?

T-weeks121
05-06-2011, 20:30
i like the idea of the dreadknight, but are they really worth getting? if i was to buy one i would go with a shotting set up, but im not sure if this will be the best thing for my army??

Lord Gabranth
05-06-2011, 20:32
Most people that I see seem to ditch the dread knight and go with the dreadnought with autocannons with psycannon shells (Psyfleman). Seems to have better range but it cant teleport 30' across the board in one movement phase

grey knights rock
05-06-2011, 20:34
the dredknight can be used effectively if given just a teleporter as an antitank. the 5 str10 2d6 pen attacks on the charge are rather good.

T-weeks121
05-06-2011, 20:36
i have played with a dreadnought, but thy always seem to get there weapons blown of or killed within a few turns, so i have never found them very good, and seeming as the dreadkingt runs by wounds i thought this might have a bit better survival than the dreadnought.

whitemagikmarker
05-06-2011, 20:40
the dreadknight is totally worth it, when ive the money to spare i intend to get 1, ill arm it with the personal teleporter gatling psilencer heavy incinerator and keep the fists as grey knights rock said nothin wrong with 5 str 10 MC attacks. ps i hate psiflemen dread spam, almost as much as i hate razorspam and longfang spam

T-weeks121
05-06-2011, 20:43
see i was thinking more along the lines of the heavy psycannon and the gatling psilencer. then i can hunt tank from afar?

Oberon
05-06-2011, 20:55
Heavy psycannon uses a template=not good for tank hunting. Gatling psilencer, same thing, str 4 hits just can't destroy tanks that well.
I'd take personal teleporter and flamer, and the psilencer if I had the points.
Also, dreadnoughts are better at surviving than dreadknights as they can hide much better,or be seen by only a few units. Meanwhile, dreadknight can be seen by almost anyone anywhere on the field. Even bolters can bring one down if given enough time. With the teleporter, you can cut down that time of course, but one DK with weapons costs the same as two dreadnoughts...

T-weeks121
05-06-2011, 20:58
hmmm, i must of skip read the heavy psycannon i didnt notice it was a blast, maybe i should go psycannon flames and the teloporter? that will cost alot in points but would d the needed job as a man hunter. so it looks like if i need more anti tank i should keep with a drednought??

Lowmans
05-06-2011, 21:32
I don't play GK so, take this as you will:
From Reading the book, couple of Psyfleman dreadnoughts with a techmarine in cover scares the pants off me.
If you want to play Optimus Prime, though, I'm sure you can find a use for him!

Tiller5
05-06-2011, 21:56
You definitely want the Dreadknight in combat, not as a ranged weapons platform. My friend uses one regularly with heavy psycannon and heavy incinerator plus sword, and adds in a teleporter when points are available. It is most vulnerable when it is not in combat, as is evidenced when he walks in front of my gunfire. Having said that, I have defeated in in close combat with a standard cheap-as-chips Dreadnought...

IAMNOTHERE
05-06-2011, 22:02
I run mine at 300 pts and have never regretted it; sword, teleporter, heavy incinerator and the psycannon is my choice.

With both the Incinerator and the Psycannon I've 2 anti transport shots or 2 infantry killers. The sword tips the balance in combat as pretty much every turn your opponent takes 3 models off the table.

As to the in or out of combat choice, remember it's only A3 so don't expect a true killer. More a way of not getting shot at in your opponents shooting phase.

One thing I will never do again though is run mine without guns - far too often there's just no suitable target to go for.

T-weeks121
05-06-2011, 22:09
hmmm ok, well would this set up be good?

heavy psycannon
incinerator
deamon hamer? for tank or a sword to wrap me in combat with troops to keep me form being shot at?

Tiller5
05-06-2011, 23:25
In my opinion there is little need for the Daemonhammer as the Dreadknight comes with the Doomfists as standard - the only advantage is the Initiative bonus (so that you strike at I4 rather than I1). The sword is indispensable for close combat because of all those tasty rerolls you're getting.

T-weeks121
05-06-2011, 23:29
well i ill most likely get a dreadknight as they seem rather good for geting rid of troops, and they are cool modles, but on the other hand i dont know if i should just buy another squad of purifgtors (not sure on spelling) and have 4 psycannon that i can pop tank with.

Tiller5
05-06-2011, 23:34
Well to be honest it would mostly depend on your current army composition - if you're lacking in specific anti-tank then I'd suggest a Dreadnought or two. I love using my Twin Autocannon Dread in my Codex Marines army, but add a point of strength for the Grey Knight one and its even better, plus its got better range than any of your other Grey Knight units.

Seeing as most of your units will be capable in hand to hand at worst, I would certainly reccomend as much ranges firepower as possible. My Grey Knight friend is often frustrated at range as he is mostly limited to a maximum of 24" shooting range whereas I'm effective at double that. Otherwise, perhaps invest in the odd transport for your infantry as mobility is key - you are better off in close combat than at range so perhaps a Stormraven or Land Raider?

T-weeks121
05-06-2011, 23:37
i have a storm raven, but i only play small games, mostly 1.5k so getting the points for it is abit hard, i generly play dragio and as meny paladins as i can fit it, it seems to work well, but like you said it is frustraiting when you come up against heavy weapons with long range.

Tiller5
05-06-2011, 23:41
In that case you could easily have an anti-tank Paladin squad - take one Stormraven, take a squad of Paladins and give them all Daemonhammers. Have the Stormraven speed on and deliver Paladins into an unsuspecting vehicle. Result? One dead vehicle. You'd probably have to drop around 200 points to do that but it would add some tactical flexibility. You could even put Draigo in there as he's quite killy with his S10 sword

T-weeks121
05-06-2011, 23:45
i have a psycannon in every unit, bar dragios unit which i swap it out for the banner, but generally i find one deamon hammer kills tanks well, its just the getting to them which is the hard part, last time i used my storm raven was againt a mariens player and he shot it down first turn leaving me to walk across the battle feild (maybe i should have played it in reserve)

T-weeks121
05-06-2011, 23:51
linking this thread to the other, if i took a unit of termies with a libarian that has a teleport homer in a transport to a sertain place, then i can bring nearly all my other units from deepstrike in with that taking fewer casualties from range?

Tiller5
06-06-2011, 00:00
Assuming the Librarian is outside the transport when the units arrive then yes, I should think that would work well, as long as those units have shooting capability as of course they can't assault after deep-striking

T-weeks121
06-06-2011, 00:03
yh, they ill all have psycannons, also i was looking at autocannon dreadnuoght as they seem a good idea, maybe with a techmarine next to it.

Tiller5
06-06-2011, 00:51
Yeah techmarines are always handy, I run one with my Marines - just make sure he is well out of sight though as a canny opponent will aim to get rid of him early on

MajorWesJanson
06-06-2011, 04:21
I run one with a teleporter and incinerator. Run 3 games with him so far. First, he got caught up with a trukk mob of boyz and a nob, but broke free and proceded to one-shot a stompa (lots of sixes on the damage chart :D ). Next game against Eldar a squad of Pathfinders went first and downed him first turn. Third game he beat up n a couple of Blood Angel assault squads and tied them up the entire game.

Depends on how you use him. I've yet to use the shunt move (either dead or targets within jump pack range) but the teleporter is nice. That plus the incinerator lets you jump out 30" and throw the template a further 12", so almost anywhere on the board is in danger. Good to tie up squads on their back field, like HW teams, Long Fangs, and small squads on objectives.

All in how you use him.

Freman Bloodglaive
06-06-2011, 09:35
In my opinion there is little need for the Daemonhammer as the Dreadknight comes with the Doomfists as standard - the only advantage is the Initiative bonus (so that you strike at I4 rather than I1). The sword is indispensable for close combat because of all those tasty rerolls you're getting.

Doomfists are dreadnaught close combat weapons, they strike at initiative.

IAMNOTHERE
06-06-2011, 10:52
And now the rest of that paragraph: "Walkers equipped with..."

The Dreadknight is not a walker. You're not the only one waiting for this particular issue to be faq'd.

Tiller5
06-06-2011, 11:32
Doomfists are dreadnaught close combat weapons, they strike at initiative.
Ah yes, silly me! In that case then the Daemonhammer is even less worthwhile as you would lose an attack as a result.

And now the rest of that paragraph: "Walkers equipped with..."

The Dreadknight is not a walker. You're not the only one waiting for this particular issue to be faq'd.

Whilst you are of of course correct in waiting for the FAQ to come around with regards to the rules as written, to me it seems relatively straightforward from a logic-based point of view - prior to the Codex there was no precedent for a Monstrous Creature with DCCW, hence why its not in the rules. However it is still the same weapon regardless of the unit wielding it so I would have thought the same rules apply. How could they possibly differ, especially as the phrase "follows the rules for Dreadnough close combat weapons" seems obvious to me as a way of expressing in words that they work in the same way as on Walkers.

IAMNOTHERE
06-06-2011, 14:27
I'm with you but when you play against some cock in a tourny that brings it up; the potential is there to ruin your day.

riotknight
06-06-2011, 16:44
Ah yes, silly me! In that case then the Daemonhammer is even less worthwhile as you would lose an attack as a result.

Whilst you are of of course correct in waiting for the FAQ to come around with regards to the rules as written, to me it seems relatively straightforward from a logic-based point of view - prior to the Codex there was no precedent for a Monstrous Creature with DCCW, hence why its not in the rules. However it is still the same weapon regardless of the unit wielding it so I would have thought the same rules apply. How could they possibly differ, especially as the phrase "follows the rules for Dreadnough close combat weapons" seems obvious to me as a way of expressing in words that they work in the same way as on Walkers.

There is a precedent. Just not in this edition. Third edition Eldar Wraithlords.

lacurra
06-06-2011, 16:52
i love the dreadknight. i always take 2 psyflenaughts and 1 dk ared with the hvy incenerator an hvy psycannon. if i have the extra points i love to put the teleporter on him because if you o, you will control the first turn as they will have to adjust to try to deal with it. with 4 wounds at toughness 6 and a 2+/5+ save he is tough to bring down. he tends to be a lot of points tricked out but i think he is well worth it. you can always deep strike it and tear stuff up if you don't want to pay for the teleporter.

Lord of Divine Slaughter
06-06-2011, 17:24
I'm with you but when you play against some cock in a tourny that brings it up; the potential is there to ruin your day.

You laugh out loud and heartily and say "oh, right! You almost convinced, you were an anal 'tard. Now lets get on with the fun.." :)

Threeshades
06-06-2011, 18:22
I just looked at the Dreadknight in the codex, and my first reaction was "Oh, so there is my Carnifex!"

I have a question about it; it seems to me that equipping the dreadknight with one of the optional close combat weapons seems to bring it more disadvantages than advantages. You can't get a combo-attack with the thunder hammer and doomfist, and attacking with the force sword reduces you to S6. Am I missing something here?

IAMNOTHERE
06-06-2011, 18:40
No you're not; although I do believe you're looking at it from the wrong point of view.

The DK is S6 on the profile, if you use fists you are in theory S10 and I4. If you take the sword you've the option to use either S10 fists or S6 sword rerolling every thing. All you're really doing is changing an attack for rerolls.

Lord Inquisitor
06-06-2011, 18:46

Tournament judges are there for a reason. No judge worth his salt is going to have an issue with a question like that, or the other thing about becoming jump infantry either. But I think you'd have to be seriously unlucky to run into someone like that.

Mr Zoat
06-06-2011, 19:48
At 1000 points I use one with Gatling Psilenser as a bodyguard for my Jokaero.
At 1500 points I use three with Gatling Psilenser and Heavy Incinerator. One guards my gunline and the other two either Deep Strike against light infantry or counter attack.