PDA

View Full Version : Equipping VC Skellies

New Cult King
01-06-2005, 01:55
Hand weapons and shields, or spears and shields?

What are the pros and cons of each?

Pardon my ignorance, I'm a Fantasy n00b :)

Lordmonkey
01-06-2005, 02:07
hand weapons. 8 pts a pop instead of 9pts. a 5+ save in combat, or a 6+ save vs an enemy that will probably never charge you anyway.
The spears suck! Just lead the unit with a vampire instead.

Frankly
01-06-2005, 04:36
How you tool them up can usually be deterrained by whats in your list and what your going to target them with. For example; use zombies too target charging cavalry and have hitters, while you use L.armour and shield wearing skellies to go after core infantry units.

On the whole L.armour and shield will give you a solid little 4+ armour save and combat, and since you want to grind it out with the enemy then this is a good option.

Naked skellies is another option, although I'd prefer to go with and cheeper zombie unit.

Spears, used in the right way are just as effective in combat has L.armour and shields. But it depends on the strength of your magic phase. The reason being that unlike other races, skellie spearmen can strike first with re-rolls to hit through the spell(or bound spell)hellish vigour.

Skellies units ranked up 7 wide with a champion will give you 15 attacks, if you get to cast vigour then thats 15 attacks that re-rolls all misses to hit, great against other core infantry, but very average against cavalry, but then again all skellie units are average against cavalry. :evilgrin:

Styles
02-06-2005, 14:17
I allways go for most of my skeleton units with sword/shield for the parrying ability.

Snoozer
02-06-2005, 14:47
I don't play VC, but I think Hand weapon - Shield compo is the best for all units that can't fight so good, gives you a little more Armor Save and you survive longer.

And because Spears suck on units that don't know how to poke the enemy good, so there....

Take spears only if you really like them or you have tons of units so that you can some times field something different (like one of my N.gobbo units has spears just for the fun of it ;) )

:D

Nukem
03-06-2005, 08:55
Its a good idea to tie of units in combat with skellies. The longer the combat wears on the more you can raise and eventually cause them to run. So obviously I like the Hand Weapon / Shield and L.Armor Combo the best. And a vampire in the unit never hurts ;)

Karhedron
03-06-2005, 21:39
I generally prefer hand weapon and shield but I have a unit with spears too for variety. Armour can be good but it depends on the rest of your army.

If you are going magic heavy then you can get away with slightly smaller units with light armour and raise more during the game. If you are playing with less magic then larger units without light armour may be more cost effective.

Minotower
05-06-2005, 07:23
I second the above, just take a 10 strong unit with everything (FC, sh, sp, la) and raise more later. This is definitely more cost effective than raising zombies.

Lordmonkey
05-06-2005, 13:21
I second the above, just take a 10 strong unit with everything (FC, sh, sp, la) and raise more later. This is definitely more cost effective than raising zombies.
Aye, unless your a Blood Dragon with few power dice :p

Spider
05-06-2005, 19:08
If possible i always go for the handweapon/sheild/light armour combo.

A 4+ in close combat is very good...to good not to have really.

Tormentor of Slaanesh
03-07-2005, 12:37
if you have light armour, shield and spear then you have the option. against most infantry units the extra five attcks could make sure you outnumber, especially if your vampire was in a challenge, ie: only killing one guy

Lordmonkey
03-07-2005, 17:07
Most enemies strike before skeletons in combat (I 2). If you are using the spears, this means youve been charged, or its the second round of combat. So you have a 6+ save, 5+ if youve gone the whole hog with light armour too. The enemy will (almost) always hit you on 3+, and usually wound on 3+ or 4. So your going to lose a couple of skellies, and I doubt your going to cause the same amount of casualties back with the mere 5 extra attacks (probably 8 in total, since 2 or 3 skellies will have been smushed).

Id rather spend those points on an extra few skeletons, to keep a rank up. I suppose combined with hellish vigour, spears become a nice choice...

Spearmen work well with magic heavy armies who can afford to field smaller, reinforceable units.

Tormentor of Slaanesh
03-07-2005, 22:03
mines like that
i have 3 units of 20 with shields, light armour and spears

Alco Engineer
12-07-2005, 04:24
Most enemies strike before skeletons in combat (I 2). If you are using the spears, this means youve been charged, or its the second round of combat. So you have a 6+ save, 5+ if youve gone the whole hog with light armour too. The enemy will (almost) always hit you on 3+, and usually wound on 3+ or 4. So your going to lose a couple of skellies, and I doubt your going to cause the same amount of casualties back with the mere 5 extra attacks (probably 8 in total, since 2 or 3 skellies will have been smushed).

Id rather spend those points on an extra few skeletons, to keep a rank up. I suppose combined with hellish vigour, spears become a nice choice...

Spearmen work well with magic heavy armies who can afford to field smaller, reinforceable units.

Here Here! I beleive spears to be fantastic as it allows the second rank to get some casualties too. Realistically if you take the LA, sh sp approach you still get a 5+ (or 6+ against St4 opponents) but they have to kill 10 guys to stop you fighting back. Since all you really have to do is win by 1 point to break them, bulk the unit up with invocation and save hellish vigour for something more imporatnt, like grave guard, or Zombies on speed! Seriously, I think thta if you give your skelies spears then, sure you'll lose an extra 1 in 6 but they'll have a better chance of winning with more attacks and in the end its only winning the combat that matters as survivability can be compensated for by raising more dead to the unit in the next magic phase. You can't magic more attacks into a unit after you've lost your front rank after all, so I saw go the spears and may anyone who disagrees meet a point end.....just kidding guys