PDA

View Full Version : [500 PTS] Skaven list

semper_fi
07-06-2011, 15:07
Hey all,

been working on my 500pts for my new skaven army and im wondering if this list has:

A) a certain cheese factor -kinda like Xfactor but with better singers-
B) legality -real sucker for that-
C) playability - has to be fun, but also able to do some real damage-

Yes i know cheese factor, the armies i will be facing will have a high cheese factor thats why im asking, dont like to play that way but thats the way it goes around here :P

Army list:

**heroes**
chieftain: 51
shield, great weapon

**core**
24x Clanrats: 155
music, ratling gun
(5x5 with chieftain)

25x Clanrats: 167
banner, music, ratling gun
(5x5)

25x slaves: 50
(5x5)

10x giant rat: 38
1x packmaster
(2x5)

10x giant rat: 38
1x packmaster
(2x5)

total 499
total models: 95(!)

I peronally think it will be fun to play with 95 chars in a 500pts battle, cant wait to see my oponents reactions hahahaha

But anyhow; what you think of this list and what does it "miss"?

Mercules
07-06-2011, 17:25
Hmmm... Cheese might require a Warp Lightning Cannon. :)

Otherwise it looks like a fairly solid list, you just might want to watch out for anything that can take some inexpensive magic. I don't get the Shield and Great Weapon on the Chieftain though. Against shooting he should have the protection of his unit and in Close Combat he has to use the Great Weapon and thus looses the shield bonus. So it seems like points spent to no good end.

semper_fi
07-06-2011, 22:46
going for a bit variety on the list:

list one: gave the chief some toys
**heroes**
chieftain: 45
shrieking blade, iron curse icon
(fear, +ward against machines)

**core**
music, ratling gun
(5x5 with chieftain)

(5x5)

(5x5)

9x giant rat: 33
1x packmaster
(2x5)

9x giant rat: 33
1x packmaster
(2x5)

total 498
===============
in list 2 i replaced him and half my giant rats for a engineer (level 1 wizard)

**heroes**
warlock engineer: 80
level 1, warpmusket

**core**
music, ratling gun
(5x5 with chieftain)

(5x5)

(5x5)

5x giant rat: 23
1x packmaster
(2x5)

5x giant rat: 23
1x packmaster
(2x5)

total 498

so whats te verdict now ;)

Mercules
08-06-2011, 15:49
I don't like the Warpmusket. I believe it is Move or Fire, correct? In addition it isn't enough, even at this point level, to likely cause even a panic check. If it had the Sniper rule, then it might be more useful. The other issue is you are going to be rolling 2d6 for Winds of Magic. Since you can only roll 6 dice and have 1 spell you are likely to end up with your opponent throwing all his dice at the one spell. That means you will have to use most of your available dice and risk the IF/Miscast. What spell is going to be that game changing?

*Skitterleap - only to escape a bad combat
*Warp Lightning - not a bad magic missile, but 1d6 s5 worth the risk?
*Howling Warpgale - against some armies might be good, but will you roll it when you could use it or against WoC?
*Death Frenzy - D6 wounds to your own unit with these small units could prove painful, will the extra attacks make it worth while?
*Scorch - Ok, this could be worth it
*Crack's Call - golden against low init multi-wound models like monsters... oh wait.

So I am not sure the Engineer is worth it. Back when you could pick up two with Warp Lightning and generate 4 casting dice while your opponent had 2 dispel, it was well worth it. Now... I am not so certain as to get your spells off you might have to risk the miscast.

I would consider taking a Chieftain with a Shield and a Dragonhelm. Now you have a 3+ AS, a 6+ Parry Save in CC, and should you be hit with flaming attacks you have a 2+ ward save.

My temptation would be to make a list like:

Chieftain (General)
-Shield, Dragonhelm

24 Clanrats
-Mus, Banner, Doom Flayer

25 Clanrats
-Mus, Banner

38 Skavenslaves
-Mus

Warp Lightning Cannon

But that is just me. That and I tend to play Ogres and I know what that WLC would do to the units I could bring at 500 points.

semper_fi
10-06-2011, 08:45
couldnt resist to build me a list with some ogre's

chieftain: 57
shrieking blade, iron curse icon
(fear, +ward against machines)

**core**
music,
(5x5 with chieftain)

25x Clanrats: 112
banner, music
(5x5)

(5x5)

2x rat ogre: 88
1x packmaster

2x rat ogre: 88
1x packmaster

Skaven-1989
10-06-2011, 19:33
hmm. when skaven break they often dont turn back around. Id give the chieftain a BSB, warhound and tail, then an enchanted shield so he's plenty of attacks and good armour. Rat ogres are terrible, but if you insist on taking them im but them together in 1 unit.