PDA

View Full Version : Goblin 1k list! Need some help!

Slyther
08-06-2011, 15:27
I'm in a league and looking to make something of a competitive goblin only list! It starts at 1000 points and then moves upto 2000.

The current list which I haven't play tested it yet is:

Night Goblin Shaman level 2 with dispel scroll
Goblin BSB with hand weapon/shield and ironcurse icon.
Night Goblin BB on Great Cave Squig with shrieking blade/enchanted shield

55 Night Goblins with spears and full command/nets/2 fanatics

20 Night Goblins with bows and 1 fanatic

16 Squig Hoppers
2 Spear Chukka's

1 Lobber

The idea is I've played with smaller units of squigs and they always got to the opponents flanks but didn't have many left in the unit to punch through very far so I decided to beef it up. I'm looking at getting a doom diva as well as wolf chariots and I'm looking at possibly 6 trolls. Those are things I am willing to add to maybe not this list but the 2000 one. Any suggestions would be great.

Sqallum
08-06-2011, 18:42
Hmmm.. I think you need more gobbos, or something tougher :D Anywise, good list
Sqallum :skull:

cagalli
08-06-2011, 18:46
The biggest problem I see is that your army's leadership is a re-rollable 6. Its great that you have a large unit of night goblins and at 1000 points your opponent will have trouble killing them all but you will not be winning combat and steadfast on a 6 is not good.

What do you really have in the list that will kill your opponents elite units? all I see is 16 squig hoppers. With the random move it might be hard to use them in conjunction with the anvil of goblins, also because they are cav you will only be getting there supporting attacks from the goblins on top instead of the power hitting squig. I feel you would be better served with 2 units of 8 running each flank.

At 1000 points I doubt that the bolt throwers will have much to target, or at least that is my experience playing at that point level. with 70 points you can almost fit in a doom diver and when used with the lobba can mess some armies up before they get to your lines.

With the list you have now I don't see you winning in combat, with goblins you are really going to have to sit back and deplete your opponents units with shooting, war machines and fanatics. and even then when they get to you I do not think your 50 goblins will win combat without a supported flank charge from trolls or squigs. I know its not fitting with the theme of the army but bite the bullet and put in a Orc general.

Slowpoke
08-06-2011, 19:09
I think you should take a ng warboss for leadership or a common gobbo warboss if it fits the theme. Don't know if the regular one has better ld than the ng one since I don't have the army book.

Also I'm not sure if magic plays a large role in smaller games so you could lose one level with the shaman so you can get moar gobbos :)

Lose the chukkas and get another rock lobber, doom diver or more gobbos.

Slyther
09-06-2011, 02:20
Thanks for the replies.

I played two games today with this list and it went terrible for one game and ok for the other.

The first game was dwarfs and I was able to flank his horde unit of dwarfs with my squig hoppers and the big boss on great cave squig. The problem I had was that my large gobbo unit just kept rolling poorly on animosity so I had to sit and squabble instead of making a pincer move.

The second game was tomb kings and he had a lot of shooting that wittled down my army and the squigs were vapourised by a 3 chariot unit who got the charge first. The chukka's did ok in both games but I prefer the lobber.

I think I'm going to take the chukka's out for a doom diva when I can buy one and also put in a unit of 6 trolls with a larger leadership hero close by. Possibly an orc hero.

Funion
09-06-2011, 07:49
get rid of the lobber maybe? at this cheap of a list the lobber points would be better suited towards more goblins, and this would result in better combat resolution against armies that would probably be killing a lot of goblins

Jind_Singh
09-06-2011, 16:04
Night Goblin Shaman level 2 with dispel scroll
Goblin BSB with hand weapon/shield and ironcurse icon.
Night Goblin BB on Great Cave Squig with shrieking blade/enchanted shield

55 Night Goblins with spears and full command/nets/2 fanatics

20 Night Goblins with bows and 1 fanatic

16 Squig Hoppers
2 Spear Chukka's

1 Lobber

At a 1000pts EVERY choice counts, the addition/absence of the right unit will really hamper your army! Having said that my personal observations:

1) At a 1000pts I would never bother with a Dispel scroll - what do we have that great in a 1000pts that needs 25pts of protection!
2) Lobber - a single lobba by itself is not that great, when it does hit it can be so-so. In a 1000pts it's not going to have too many targets to scatter into and will generally be a waste of points. Sure there will be the odd game or two where it's like WOW! But more BLAH than WOW overall. Drop it!
3) Fanatics - I'd even look at dropping a single fanatic, 1 per unit is fine.
4) leadership - going to be a massive headache - bare minimum I'd look at is a Night Goblin Warboss
5) Too many characters - as much as you love the Hoppers, to make them good you need a boss - which eats up a lot of points as your army lacks units!

I would seriously consider dropping hoppers until the 1500pts/2000pts level just because they do more damage at this point! Sure, keep 5 basic hoppers in the list, they look great, but use the points saved to upgrade the Big Boss into a Warboss, don't take Common gobbo BSB, just use Night Goblin, grab a 4+ or 5+ ward save for both Warboss/BSB, single level 2 NG shaman is fine, and then your 2 blocks of NG, 5 hoppers, 2 chukkas, and then look at using a Squig Herd - deadly unit - which also adds a real hammer to the list!