PDA

View Full Version : wich tank?

Glenn87
08-06-2011, 22:03
Hi,

I've just started out with Imperial Guards.
Now I want to buy a tank, just can't decide wich one to buy first.
Doubting between the Leman Russ (either one) or the Chimera, altough someone said the Manticore is kick-ass.
Also, wich weapons should I put on them (starting 40K player).

Sami
08-06-2011, 22:13
http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=212569

carldooley
08-06-2011, 22:20
whichever you get, don't fear trying to magnetize EVERYTHING. This will keep your model count down, especially with the Leman Russes.

Vaktathi
08-06-2011, 22:21
Hi,

I've just started out with Imperial Guards.
Now I want to buy a tank, just can't decide wich one to buy first.
Doubting between the Leman Russ (either one) or the Chimera, altough someone said the Manticore is kick-ass.
Also, wich weapons should I put on them (starting 40K player).

That depends a lot on the type of army you wish to play and what other models you already have.

that said, you can never go wrong with a chimera or have too many chimeras, I own 16 and would like at least 2 more. Chimeras are always useful for almost any IG army at any points level. Weapons loadout depends on the unit being transported. If you're transporting a unit with lots of short range guns that can still move if they shoot (e.g. command or veteran squads) you want a turret multilaser with a hull heavy flamer. If you're transporting something like an Infantry Squad where it's firepower comes primarily from a static heavy weapon, then you want a turret mutlilaser and a hull heavy bolter.

But, if you just want *a* tank for a small army that's starting out, primarily for firepower, any will do really. You can build the Russ kits to be entirely interchangeable with ease, and the Manticore hits like a truck.

ShodansOwn
09-06-2011, 02:28
whichever you get, don't fear trying to magnetize EVERYTHING. This will keep your model count down, especially with the Leman Russes.

Indeed...I have four Russ chassis with all the variable options magnetized. I say buy the Demolisher kit, as it comes with the most complex guns. Vanquishers and Battlecannons are easy to scratch-build with simple bits, while the Punisher and Executioner guns would be a lot more difficult to make at home.

Also, for the sake of having swappable main guns, the turret in the Demolisher kit is way better suited to do magnet interfacing.

If you're careful while building, buying the Russ kit simply means you have all the Russ variants, depending on your list.

The Chimera is a tool. It has many various uses, mainly as a transport to deliver a particular attack. As a fighting vehicle, it doesnt really stand out. Now dont get me wrong: the Chimera is a staple of guard armies, and they perform excellently. Players love them, but they dont expect them to survive the game, or kill very much. They do their one task, then probably die.

But if you're looking for a TANK tank, the Russ is where its at. People will debate the value on the battlefield vs the points cost, but for armored combat its one of the best in the game. It has some of the toughest armor, and it can move while firing impressively destructive main guns.

SanguinaryDan
09-06-2011, 03:00
"Keep your model count dOWN!!! What sort of crazy advice is that! :eek: WHY would you want to keep your model count down? What kind of..." blah,blah,blah "What do you mean that's what normal people do?!" blah-blah "Not everyone builds enough tanks to field a regiment?" :confused:

Sorry, my bad. ;) But I agree that the first tank you should have in your army is a basic Russ. After that the tank that looks coolest to you is your best choice.

Charistoph
09-06-2011, 03:38
Whatever you choose, make sure to plan on getting at least 2, eventually, for every model. One on its own will always be destroyed far to easily from focused fire.

Frep
09-06-2011, 03:39
I've got to echo the basic russ for the win, but for the love of heaven magnetize. I still regret my first few marine tank purchases which I neglected to magentize. Chimeras are an awesome choice as well, but for them you shouldn't ,being thinking of your first one more like your first three

Charistoph is right, 2 tanks will always perform much better than one. One is too easily killed and you'll never get a chance to appreciate its firepower, two or three on the other hand....

Lord Gabranth
09-06-2011, 05:23
Basic russ all the way man. It gets you all the fire power needed for most games, and I have to agree about magnitizing the crap out of it. I have 2 with a third on order and Its a hassle trying to transport all of them as is. Another suggestion would be a basilisk to help with long range fire support

tu33y
09-06-2011, 09:14
you dont need to magnetize with the new russ kit- just don't glue the turret bottom to the top and swop out as you want.

for your first tank- well my honest vote is a chimera. its simple, a nice looking kit and goes together nice. but for the love of zenu don't fall in to the usual "my first tank" trap- you don't HAVE to stick EVERY option on to the vehicle. less is often more!

failing all that- just buy the one you think looks wicked awesome...

TheScreamingGodKing
09-06-2011, 11:06
Buy a baneblade

MagicHat
09-06-2011, 11:14
For your first tank, I would say a Chimera (Preferrably two). Means you have more experience when you move on to the centerpieces, like the Russ and Manticores.
Also, if your starting out with some friends and brings a Russ to a 500 point game, they might not be your friends anymore

LonelyPath
09-06-2011, 13:00
I'd get a couple of Chimeras first and then later get a Leman Russ Demolisher. The Demolisher kit lets you assemble the model and leave the guns loose so they can be slotted in and out at your own leisure and create any of the 3 variants in the box. Yes, even the turret weapons slot in and out with ease :)

tu33y also mentioned how to keep all the options open with the standard Leman Russ kit. Both models are very versatile and are a testament as to how GW should do all their tank kits.

tu33y
09-06-2011, 14:52
or option two is start with a sentinel...

roge
09-06-2011, 15:24
I'd say buy a Chimera first as it will protect your troops and give mobility. If you load it with a veterans squad you can kit them out with meltas for anti-tank, plasma guns for anti-MEQ, or flamers for anti-hoard.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Lord Gabranth
09-06-2011, 16:33
Even then with the russ you have better firing range and better armour than the chimera. Firing meltas from the top hatch is a plus but you have to get within 12" to do so. You can put multi meltas on a russ for double the range.

At 24" on my exterminator I have 4 TL autocannon shots at S7, 6 heavy bolters at S5, 1 lascannon at S9, and 3 heavy stubber at S4. 14 shots. AV14

At 12" with a chimera you have a wide arange of special weapons (no heavy weapons if you moved), a total of 12 S3 shots from lasguns, 3 S6 shots from the multilaser, and 3 S5 shots from a heavy bolter. Between 21 shots(based on what your squad is equiped with) if you moved and 15 shots if you stayed stationary during movement. Its alot of shots but with AV 12 and very few shots over S6 I dont think it beats out the russ by a long shot

Glenn87
09-06-2011, 20:34
right, so if I get most of you, I should start off with a Chimera, and get a Leman Russ later on (and magnetize!! very important :D)

I'm thinking of going for the Veteran-mech army, so a bunch of Chimera's for starts wont be a bad plan then.

Wich upgrades do you like for the Chimera?

Thanks guys!

SanguinaryDan
09-06-2011, 20:41
None. Maybe a Heavy Stubber and/or a Dozer Blade on the Chimera you'd use for your CCS. The rest just aren't worth the time.