PDA

View Full Version : Prioritizing Stegadon possibilities

Threeshades
08-06-2011, 22:29
You're still following after that title?

Well if not, here's what's on my mind (for a short version scroll down, but don't expect any :wtf:'s to be answered if you skip the long version):

I am currently slapping together a little Lizardmen force from models I have left over from a discontinued attempt to make a counts-as 40k daemons army where all the daemonic rules and gifts were supposed to represent the space slanns' superior technology and psychic abilities (the models had little to no conversion on them done except for round bases, so getting them back into fantasy should not prove problematic).

So I decided to just make them into a good old fantasy lizardmen army, what I started off with was a Battalion, a Slann, Kroq-gar/Saurus commander on carnosaur, and a Stegadon.
I also recently ordered my armybook along with an additional battalion to round off the numbers and a second stegadon.

So now I'm here at this point with two stegadons and wondering how i should best use them.
The options are: Regular stegadon, ancient stegadon, skink chief on either a regular stegadon or an ancient stegadon or an engine of the gods.

Seeing as how I already have a lot of character models (Slann, Carnosaur, 3 skink heroes of either type from the stegadon sprue (the third one comes from a 'don i used for my exodites) and a mounted saurus hero (converted temple guard, who will probably be BSB)) in what comes down to an army of about 3500 points (I calculated all the stuff together without adding in fancy upgrades except for your standard unit commands) I figured might not want to have more than one character on a stegadon or else i might never be able to field both of them.

So i wondered what are the configurations I should go for that a useful in more situations?
Don't get me wrong, normally I would be all the type of gamer who goes out there tries stuff and comes back having learned something about it, but I don't get the chance to play very often, so i would rather start with the best right from here, especially because I don't want to buy much more stuff for this army. If possible even nothing at all beyond what i have now. Because I want to be done with buying from Games Workshop and just use what I have anymore.
Should I go with an engine or rather a skink chief on a stegadon (one with a Stegadon Spear on an ancient 'don sounds like a lot of fun with 2d6+1 S6 impact hits)? Or rather stick with the special and rare category versions without any heroes on top?
And which one is the more advisable choice out of the regular special and rare stegadon, if i was to pick one for as many different situations as possible (as both have their advantages and disadvantages)?

Short version:
I've got a bunch of Lizardmen (2 battalions, a slann, kroq-gar and two stegadons). I need to figure out which are the most suitable configurations (ancient or no, hero or not)

I have about a 3.5k army including a lot of characters already, so i figured no more than one of them should become a mount for a hero.
I don't want to buy anything more and i dont have a lot of opportunity to playtest things so I would like to rely on the experience of others.

So the question is: Which types of stegadons are of use in more different situations? Will I have more use for maybe a Skink Chief with a stegadon spear on an ancient, or rather an engine of the gods, and for the rare and special choice stegadons, which is the one i should rather go for? Both of them seem to have their advantages and disadvantages to each other.

Any advice and input is well appreciated.

vinny t
09-06-2011, 02:25
Well Stegadon usage depend a lot on your personal preferance. There are about three good ways to run two of them.

1) Duel Ancient Stegs
Plain Ancient Stegs are probably the best out of all of your options. They're pretty cheap for what they do especially with a Life Slaan and they fulfill a nice niche in a Lizardmen Army (high Strength). The main issue with taking 2 is that in a 2500 piont list you can oly take 1 Salamander. Salamanders are probably our best unit at the moment so limiting them isnt that good of an idea. But if you're planning on playing bigger games or don't have Salamanders then this is probably your best option.

2) Ancient and a EotG
This choice is also a good one, however it is a little pricy. The Engine is allright but it is an extra 100ish points and has essentially the same survivability as an ancient, which is a little risky. However the 5+ ward bubble can help it survive a little better, so if you have the extra points to spend I would suggest this.

3) Ancient and Regular
This is a nice cheap choice to give you a little more punch. It's almost 200 less points then most Ancient+EotG builds and delivers a pretty sizable punch. If you are using Salamanders, running out of points, and need some solid damage dealers, I would suggest these guys.

someone2040
09-06-2011, 04:35
Definately build one as an ancient, and either magnetize or pin the Giant Blowpipes. Don't glue in the Engine either (it just sits on the howdah).
That way you can use that Stegadon as either an Ancient or Engine of the Gods.

For the 2nd Steg. Your choice really.

russellmoo
09-06-2011, 04:57
I tend to see ancient stegs a lot more than regular stegs, not sure why-

Also, having a model that can serve as an EoTG is always a good choice

MOMUS
09-06-2011, 05:09
Strangely im in the exact same position as you, except mine were for an alien guard force.

Im making a southlands list and would like to include both a EOTG and a warspear/chief steg but struggle with the points. What else do you have in your list?

Why does it seem that all the lizardmen players have disappeared?

Threeshades
09-06-2011, 08:59
Well apart from thealready mentioned characters I have 40 saurus, 24 skinks (not sure on if and how i will split these or if they will get kroxigors) 15 Saurus cavalry and 19 temple guard. Oh and i forgot to mention the two razordons and two salamanders i also have.

venomx51
09-06-2011, 10:07
I've built my two up as an Ancient and an Engine. I very rarely use a normal steg or a mounted Skink Chief.

MOMUS
09-06-2011, 10:51
I've built my two up as an Ancient and an Engine. I very rarely use a normal steg or a mounted Skink Chief.

2d6 magical impact hits from the warspear. I thought this would be good?

Don Zeko
09-06-2011, 20:54
How competitive of a list do you have in mind? In harder lists, I tend to think that characters on Stegs aren't worth the points. The warspear is fun, i suppose, but it does nothing if you don't get the charge, does nothing in subsequent rounds of close combat, and will push the price of the steg up more than 100 points. Same for the Engine. It requires you to buy a Skink Priest who will usually starve for power dice, so you're giving up the blowpipes and something like 150 points for the ward save ability. As others have mentioned, it's easy to magnetize the steg so that it can be used as different types, but for my money the standard ancient stegadon is easily the best choice.

Spinocus
10-06-2011, 19:17
How competitive of a list do you have in mind? In harder lists, I tend to think that characters on Stegs aren't worth the points. The warspear is fun, i suppose, but it does nothing if you don't get the charge, does nothing in subsequent rounds of close combat, and will push the price of the steg up more than 100 points. Same for the Engine. It requires you to buy a Skink Priest who will usually starve for power dice, so you're giving up the blowpipes and something like 150 points for the ward save ability. As others have mentioned, it's easy to magnetize the steg so that it can be used as different types, but for my money the standard ancient stegadon is easily the best choice.

In an ultra-competitive environment Stegs aren't cost effective. However for friendly games or games with reasonable restrictions Stegs can be quite useful and fun.

Guaranteeing a Steg gets the charge is tricky as you'll need to march block or pin nearby enemy units before hand, effectively denying your opponent the opportunity to charge the Steg. A cheap 10 strong unit of Skink Skirmishers works in a pinch. A fat block of Saurus works wonders as it can generally be counted on to endure more than one round of combat, even versus elites. It feels a bit counter-intuitive or wasteful keeping a M6 unit back until a M4 unit can pin the enemy but if there isn't an abundance of cannons or shooting to take out the Steg then why not? On the other hand if you're facing cannons or a crapload of missile fire then get that Steg into combat ASAP. Plus if you're using Life or Light then the Steg can get buffed to a ridiculous degree, ensuring its survival and staying power even when charged or shot at. A T buffed Ancient Steg & crew... or one with WS10 & I10 and/or ASF should be a hair raising experience for an opponent.

Don't discount the Skink Chief w/Steg War Spear. 2D6 magic S6 Impact Hits PLUS three magic WS4 I6 S6 attacks from the War Spear itself (counts as Lance) PLUS the Ancient Steg's three S6 attacks, the Skink crew's piddly attacks AND D6 S6 Thunderstomp can get pretty damn ridiculous. Remember 2D6 Impact Hits should garner an average of 7 S6 hits that will negate all but the best armor. And like I said, if you buff it with Life or Light then you won't have to worry too much about it getting charged.

For me the Engine is all about its effects, not the Priest's spell casting abilities. For me the priest serves as a scroll carrier and insurance against the Slann failing a cast. The Engine's one ranged attack is great for those concentrated areas of your front line that are heavily engaged. D6 S4 (S5 to Undead, Daemons and Wood Elves) w/no AS hits to all enemies within 2D6" is pretty cool. Beyond that its 12" 5+ Ward Save 'Gungan Bubble Shield' is great versus shooty armies.

GodlessM
10-06-2011, 21:32
The main issue with taking 2 is that in a 2500 piont list you can oly take 1 Salamander. Salamanders are probably our best unit at the moment so limiting them isnt that good of an idea. But if you're planning on playing bigger games or don't have Salamanders then this is probably your best option.

That's easily remedied by making one of them a mount for a cheap-as-chips Skink Chief.

vinny t
11-06-2011, 00:01
Well 55 points is a little pricy but yeah that could work. But if you have a chief you will want a warspear.

Threeshades
11-06-2011, 12:01
Well when I play i usually expect a medium level of competitiveness, I never go to tournaments but most of the people I get to play against tend towards a little punch in their armies.

I'm pretty convinved by the warspear chief at this point, I didn't really think of the lance attacks before but having an average of 14 S6 hits on a charge sounds pretty nice. I think i might not be able to use my entire collection of characters in my full army then though, since with a total of about 3600 points easily 1400 of that will come with the characters, but just to try that seems worth it to me.
Well I didn't count in Magic items and banners yet, neither on the characters nor on the units, since I don't really know them yet. (I really only looked up the warspear after somebody else told me about it as we were talking about me starting a Lizardmen army)

I think I will make the stegadon I have put together already into a modular Ancient or regular and try to give the other one as many options as possible. One of which definitely being the Chief with a spear.