PDA

View Full Version : Single rank steadfast

Slyther
09-06-2011, 01:30
I played a game earlier today where I had my night goblin big boss on great cave squig left after combat with the opponents horde of dwarfs. He only had 8 models left in the front rank. Does he keep his steadfast? Does he need the second rank to make steadfast or is it just the single front rank counts?

Noght
09-06-2011, 01:34
1 rank for him (front) and Zero ranks for you means Steadfast.

1 Rank left vs Chariot, Monster etc is steadfast.

Noght

papabearshane
09-06-2011, 02:35
Where is this in the rules? I for one agree but I had it ruled 5 models in the front dont count as stead fast.

Lord Inquisitor
09-06-2011, 02:44
It simply says more complete ranks than the opponent. It doesn't say "additional" ranks, note the difference in wording between steadfast and rank bonus. The onus is on the opponent to show the first rank is not a rank.

AMWOOD co
09-06-2011, 06:48
I agree with Lord Inquisitor. It's basic, elementary level mathematics. 5 is needed for a rank, you have 8 models, so you have 1 rank. Your oppenent has 1 model, so he has 0 ranks. You have more, so you are steadfast.

Solution? Morglum Necksnapper tells us that "The only good stunty is a dead stunty." Words to live by.

someone2040
09-06-2011, 07:36
Yeah, this is how I play it.
But so many people refuse to believe that your first rank counts (I think too caught up in the fact that you only get combat resolution bonus for additional ranks). It's certainly something I'd like to see in the FAQ. Not because it needs clarification of any kind, but just so you can point to said stubborn people "Look, it's written right here".

narrativium
09-06-2011, 07:52
Yeah, this is how I play it.
But so many people refuse to believe that your first rank counts (I think too caught up in the fact that you only get combat resolution bonus for additional ranks). It's certainly something I'd like to see in the FAQ. Not because it needs clarification of any kind, but just so you can point to said stubborn people "Look, it's written right here".

But it's already written right there. Steadfast applies if you have more ranks than your opponents. 1 Rank is more than 0 Ranks. It's that simple.

The onus is on your opponents to prove that the first rank doesn't count.

Slyther
09-06-2011, 12:55
I was the player with a single model and I had no problem playing it this way. It seemed logical to me but someone else was around and brought it up so we decided to look into it further. It seems the most logical answer.

Noght
09-06-2011, 13:23
Where is this in the rules? I for one agree but I had it ruled 5 models in the front dont count as stead fast.

1 rank of 5 is a complete rank. Don't confuse Steadfast with Combat Resolution and the additional rank bonus. Single models, wheter they be Chariots or Monsters, that decimate your unit on the charge will still allow you a Steadfast leadership roll if you manage to survive with 1 complete (front) rank.

Also don't forget that units of Skirmishers have no ranks so if a unit of 10 Shades or Dryads (5x2) smash into you as long as you have 5 models left up front you get Steadfast, including from the flank or rear.

Noght