PDA

View Full Version : Vampire Counts and Warhammer Beginner

TywinLannister
09-06-2011, 20:06
Hello!

I'm getting back into WHFB in a few weeks, and I've picked up a Vampire Lord Finecast model on foot to lead it.

I'll be getting Mantic's Undead army deal for 50, so to start with I'll have:

40 Skeletons with command
20 Grave Guard with command
20 Ghouls
30 Zombies
plus the afforementioned Vampire Lord model.

Any thoughts on firstly how to play this list (not to win-at-all costs or anything, just ideas - 40K player here) and what to get hold of next will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers in advance

Malorian
09-06-2011, 20:08
Get more ghouls and grave guard, then we'll talk ;)

TywinLannister
09-06-2011, 20:11
haha thats easilly sorted, I'm told Ghouls are the core mainstay, but I like the look of an advancing horde of skellies.

Like I said I'm not looking for anything mega-competetive, just some advice on how to get by with those models for about a month (which is when I'll be able to add to it a little)

Malorian
09-06-2011, 20:18
Maybe think of using those skeletons as grave guard.

Two hordes of grave guard should easily fit in the 50% allowance and then would give the look you want.

Use the 25% core for mainly ghouls (maybe a skeleton bunker) and then the rest can go into your characters.

TywinLannister
09-06-2011, 20:23
Sounds good.

Any ideas what to tool up the Vampire with for my first few battles (like i said I'm stuck with the one character till next payday :/)

w3rm
09-06-2011, 20:45
Hatred, Red Fury, Blood Drinker and some protective item. Any unit he is with just doesnt die. Ever.

rodmillard
09-06-2011, 21:48
For your next purchase I'd recommend the Mantic "Undead Elite Army" set which comes out at the end of the month. An extra 50 gets you 5 (resin) wraiths, 10 (resin) black knights, plus an extra 10 ghouls and 20 GG allowing you to horde up those units (although you'll probably still want more ghouls). You'll also get a Balefire Catapult, but that's only useful when you start playing KoW!

With your lord + some support heroes that's a well balanced army coming in at around 2500 points, all for under 150...

TywinLannister
10-06-2011, 07:16
For your next purchase I'd recommend the Mantic "Undead Elite Army" set which comes out at the end of the month. An extra 50 gets you 5 (resin) wraiths, 10 (resin) black knights, plus an extra 10 ghouls and 20 GG allowing you to horde up those units (although you'll probably still want more ghouls). You'll also get a Balefire Catapult, but that's only useful when you start playing KoW!

With your lord + some support heroes that's a well balanced army coming in at around 2500 points, all for under 150...

This was my planned next purchase to be honest, some characters, some more mantic ghouls, then some soul reavers (blood knights)... i can get 10 for 50 from mantic

@w3rm, lol i like it, though tbh, for my first few small games I'll test out different combinations of powers and items, might try that combination first