PDA

View Full Version : High Elf 2400 need feedback

olej89
14-06-2011, 01:06
hello, im a kind of noob when it comes to high elfs but hope u can help me out=) there is 50 p to much now, but i will find some place to cut down. hope for good feedback =)

Lords:
Lvl 4 mage, 4+ ward, Starwood staff, jewel of dusk.. = 360

Heroes:

Caradryan: = 175

Noble, BSB, dragon armor, battlebanner, hw&sh, = 198

Mage lvl 2, seersstaff, silver wand. = 175

Core:

10 x archers = 110
10 x archers = 110
40 x spearman, full command = 385

Special:
20x white lion/swordmaster full cmd + skein silver = 355
20x phoenix guards, full command, banner of sorc, = 380

Rare:

2x bolt thrower = 200

Lords = 360
Heroes = 548
Core = 605
Special = 735
Rare = 200

Total : 2448

thinking about removing a hero, someone i dont need?

Zubb
14-06-2011, 09:19
What lores of magic are you planning to use?

Alathir
14-06-2011, 11:29
Not a bad list for a first try, the main thing I would point out is that characters can only have one of each type of magic item, when I say type I mean one magic weapon, one talisman, one arcane item. Your mages have two arcane items so that's illegal sorry to say.

hello, im a kind of noob when it comes to high elfs but hope u can help me out=) there is 50 p to much now, but i will find some place to cut down. hope for good feedback =)

Lords:

The starwood staff isn't a bad option this edition, but I just think there are better items for your Archmage. The first one I would consider is the Silver Wand, with the way spells are generated in 8th edition, you are almost certain to get the exact ones you want with five spells at your disposal. Finally, it can be very difficult to keep mages alive once they hit combat as there is alot of attacks that can be directed upon them. The High Elves have one of the best items available to protect a mage from this fate in Folariath's Robe, I seriously rely on this thing to keep my archmage safe.

Heroes:

A decent selection here. Again the mage is illegal, but the seerstaff is quite a good choice for a level 2. The other I would consider would be the Jewel of the Dusk (so you dont have to dig into your archmage's dice as much) or the Annulian Crystal (which steals a power dice and makes it a dispel dice) - I am finding this option more and more valuable as I play High Elves this edition as a single dice can really swing things. Caradryan is a very good hero for your army, just be aware some people might furrow their brows at you as he is admittedly underpriced in 8th edition.

The Battle Standard is obligatory so no problems there, however if you are going to play risky and give him a magic banner then I would definitely advise mounting him on a barded elven steed and giving him a shield for a 2+ armour save as he will die ridiculously quickly if he is on foot. Especially once people realize he is toting something as scary as the Battle Banner.

Core:

10 x archers = 110
10 x archers = 110

Not a bad core selection here. I have been taking units of 42 spearelves in my most recent games over the past few weeks and found them quite effective, I field them in ranks of six or seven. Definitely recommend sticking the Battle Standard in this unit in order to give them a little bit more punch. In my own list, I lead this unit with a Prince and give him the Crown of Command to make them stubborn.

As for the archers, I would give them musicians so you make use of the always handy swift reform maneuver. Don't expect alot out of these guys and maybe even consider finding the points to make them a unit of 20 Sea Guard.

Special:

Nice selection here, definitely recommend White Lions over Swordmasters this edition. They are just far more versatile, Swordmasters have their role but they are less effective against a variety of opponents. I don't find the White Lions need a character, they do just fine and don't forget that they are awesome character assassins, so remember to direct your attacks.

If I was going to add anything here I would try and find some points to get some fast response units, namely Ellyrian Reavers or at least a Great Eagle or two.

Rare:

2x bolt thrower = 200

Solid units, although like I mentioned, finding points for an eagle or two can be very handy.

Overall it's an effective list, just needs a few tweaks here and there. You need some redirecters (reavers, eagles) so you can dictate the enemy's movements a little more, which is quite important for us elves. If I was going to suggest a lore, I'd take probably Shadow just because it's so handy for elves (being able to lower toughness, strength etc. especially) and for your level 2 I'd take fire just so you have a spell that can quickly cause some damage. I usually use my secondary mage to target vulnerable units that will threaten my war machines etc. like enemy fast cavalry and flyers. Throwing a second level fireball is enough to ruin their day fast.

Hope this helps!

Nailo
17-06-2011, 03:26
Not a bad list for a first try, the main thing I would point out is that characters can only have one of each type of magic item, when I say type I mean one magic weapon, one talisman, one arcane item. Your mages have two arcane items so that's illegal sorry to say.

The starwood staff isn't a bad option this edition, but I just think there are better items for your Archmage. The first one I would consider is the Silver Wand, with the way spells are generated in 8th edition, you are almost certain to get the exact ones you want with five spells at your disposal. Finally, it can be very difficult to keep mages alive once they hit combat as there is alot of attacks that can be directed upon them. The High Elves have one of the best items available to protect a mage from this fate in Folariath's Robe, I seriously rely on this thing to keep my archmage safe.

A decent selection here. Again the mage is illegal, but the seerstaff is quite a good choice for a level 2. The other I would consider would be the Jewel of the Dusk (so you dont have to dig into your archmage's dice as much) or the Annulian Crystal (which steals a power dice and makes it a dispel dice) - I am finding this option more and more valuable as I play High Elves this edition as a single dice can really swing things. Caradryan is a very good hero for your army, just be aware some people might furrow their brows at you as he is admittedly underpriced in 8th edition.

The Battle Standard is obligatory so no problems there, however if you are going to play risky and give him a magic banner then I would definitely advise mounting him on a barded elven steed and giving him a shield for a 2+ armour save as he will die ridiculously quickly if he is on foot. Especially once people realize he is toting something as scary as the Battle Banner.

Not a bad core selection here. I have been taking units of 42 spearelves in my most recent games over the past few weeks and found them quite effective, I field them in ranks of six or seven. Definitely recommend sticking the Battle Standard in this unit in order to give them a little bit more punch. In my own list, I lead this unit with a Prince and give him the Crown of Command to make them stubborn.

As for the archers, I would give them musicians so you make use of the always handy swift reform maneuver. Don't expect alot out of these guys and maybe even consider finding the points to make them a unit of 20 Sea Guard.

Nice selection here, definitely recommend White Lions over Swordmasters this edition. They are just far more versatile, Swordmasters have their role but they are less effective against a variety of opponents. I don't find the White Lions need a character, they do just fine and don't forget that they are awesome character assassins, so remember to direct your attacks.

If I was going to add anything here I would try and find some points to get some fast response units, namely Ellyrian Reavers or at least a Great Eagle or two.

Solid units, although like I mentioned, finding points for an eagle or two can be very handy.

Overall it's an effective list, just needs a few tweaks here and there. You need some redirecters (reavers, eagles) so you can dictate the enemy's movements a little more, which is quite important for us elves. If I was going to suggest a lore, I'd take probably Shadow just because it's so handy for elves (being able to lower toughness, strength etc. especially) and for your level 2 I'd take fire just so you have a spell that can quickly cause some damage. I usually use my secondary mage to target vulnerable units that will threaten my war machines etc. like enemy fast cavalry and flyers. Throwing a second level fireball is enough to ruin their day fast.

Hope this helps!

Do you think the Drangon Princes is good this edition?

Morax
17-06-2011, 12:20
Dragon Princes have a place, with a little mage support they can be amazing monster hunters. They also make a fine flanking force. The trick is to keep their points low enough to not care if they die early and keep their hitting power high enough to cause some damage. I find 6 or so to be ideal as they are cheep enough to use as warmachine hunters if your opponent has no monsters and hitty enough that if they do they have a reasonable shot at killing them in one turn.

KarsaOrlong
24-06-2011, 13:38
Constantly amazed by the solid advice you can find on here :D. This is the exact sort of post I was looking for and lo and behold I found it. Just starting a HE army as my brother wanted to pick up IoB for the Skaven. This is a pretty good guideline for forces I want to pick up eventually. Question though, which do you recommend more for smaller points games (i'm thinking less than 2000pts), Tiranoc Chariot or White Lion? I just really like the look of both units and wouldn't mind fielding one (even if they do end up strategically bust, which they may I don't know i'm still in early research stages :rolleyes:)

RichBlake
24-06-2011, 15:31

The other option of course is to put the Mage in a unit that is unlikely to see combat. With M5 aswell the Arch Mage can always run out of the unit if they need to.

Personally I don't think High Elves need 2 mages, especially with their +1 to dispel. Personally my opinion is High Elf magic can be so good I'd rely quite a lot on that. I'd have the Banner of Sorcery and a High Elf Level 4 with Book of Hoeth or Teclis himself.

No need for two mages imo, especially when they are so expensive. Unless you take them on different Lores there's not really a point, and you'll find yourself using one Lore more than the other anyway.

Since he has no cavalry unit I'd personally love to see that. As what would happen first turn is I'd shoot him with a cannon and you wouldn't get a Look Out Sir! as the unit doesn't have 5 or models his size.

Personally I find a BSB on foot needs magical armour. If you want a magic standard you need them on a barded horse of some sort with extra armour but then you need a cavalry unit for him to hide in.

In terms of the Core I'd personally reccomend more then one unit of spearmen. Maybe two units of roughly 30 Spearmen instead of the 20 Archers and 40 Spearmen. I generally find that only one block unit tends to end up with your army getting out maneuvered or stretched as a lot of opponents easily field 2/3 block units themselves.

While I like both White Lions and Phoenix Guard I think both are a bit overkill. As an Empire player I have watched 16 Phoenix Guard ground down to like 3 guys over 5 rounds of combat against 35 Halbardiers. Don't get me wrong the Phoenix Guard eventually won but they couldn't do it twice.

With the selections you've got here you essentially have 3 combat units:

1) 40 Spearmen
2) 20 White Lions
3) 20 Phoenix Guard

Now if we look at my Empire 2400 point list for example, I have:

1) 40 Halbardiers
2) 40 Halbardiers
3) 40 Halbardiers
4) 15 Knights with Great Weapons + Warrior Priest (for Hatred)

I can pretty much engage your entire army in combat with my three Core units that have 8 ranks each and then send my greatswords into the flank of one combat to tip it over and then pretty much chew though the rest (potentially). You'll probably destroy one or even two of the Halbardier units but at such a cost I'll still have an advantage as I'll have both two units relatively in tact and in a better position.

The advantage you'll have in that scenario of course if your wizard can hide in the archers so avoid combat entirely, but how useful that will be will entirely depend on what Lore of Magic you take.

I'd recommend Great Eagles. Againts Empire or Dwarfs for example they'll NEED to kill them to stop their War Machines dying like turn 2. Takes pressure off you a little bit.

Personally I don't buy into all this talk of redirecting as it doesn't work against a good general. I've learnt to just ignore anything fast or manourveable enough to get behind me as my army can't really deal with it. All they can do though is kill my war machines which is like 500 points tops. Sure the unit has made its points back but by the time they have destroyed them all I'm usually in combat so cant really shoot them anyway. Eagles are 50 points each iirc so two of them wont exactly break the banks, you can get some easy points off the war machines (even if they have done their job).

The Lore that seems to work best for HE in my experience is Life. Dwellers is awesome but oddly enough is a good character sniping spell (as the character has to pass a strength test or die). Since your models are so expensive bringing them back is a must. Likewise Flesh to Stone makes up for your squishyness.

If you decide to take Phoenix Guard let me just vouch that a T8 unit that at the end of the magic phase does 2D6 S4 hits on the unit it has charged followed by 17 attacks hitting on 3s with a re-roll with a 5+ save and a 4+ ward is REALLY tough (for reference that is: Throne of Vines, Shield of Thorns, Flesh to Stone).

thesheriff
24-06-2011, 20:00
Lords:
I think there are better builds for a lv.4. Forlaiths robes, Talismain of Saphery, Silver wand is a great one. 5 spells, and almost indestructable. Book of Hoeth with Lore of life is great if you want to lose all your friends.Regardless of build though, id go Lore of life. Its just too good on elves.

Heroes:

Hes alright. Bit expensive though

I like my bsbs defensive. Really defensive. The battle banner never really does it for my. Armour of Caelador, Guardian phoiniex is what id go for. Usually with a great weapons if youve got the points.

Hes illegal. Cant have two arcane. Keep the seerstaff and go with lore of shadow.
Core:

10 x archers = 110
10 x archers = 110
Archers never do that much for me. I woudl personally go with 3 unist fo 20 spearmen w. command. Bang on minimum core, and gives you some throw away horde-saters until your heavy hitters come-a-knocking.

Special:
here's where I would make a notable change. If your dropped these guys and Caraydran, you would have enough points for two units of 14 White lions w. Full command. What you lose in a block unit and an expensive charecter, you gain in two VERY powerful flank units. Ideally, you will want one unit of spearmen to go into a unit, and then be flanked by a unit of white lions. The combat res and volume of ASF S6 attacks is great, and enough to break most non-unbreakable units

Put the skein silver here if you want.

Rare:
2x bolt thrower = 200
I have alot of love for these things. But, the whole battery of them is greater than the sum of its parts. IE; the more the better. I woudl always go either none, or 3-4 in a 2k army. If you can find the points that is.

Total : 2448

Comments in purple

thesheriff