PDA

View Full Version : Chosen and the Eye of the Gods

Archaon999
14-06-2011, 12:08
So we have chosen, which roll on the eye of the gods table (TEOTG) at the start of the game. you can also give the unit champion "favour of the gods" which is a 5 point item which allows me to adjust the roll on (TEOTG) by 1. so i think i have found a great loophole in the rules. note that chosen re roll the result 2 and 7 automatically.

2 - gives stupidity

3 - +1 toughness

4 - +1 strength

5 - +1 Attack

6 - +1 to Armour save

7 - Eye is closed (nothing happens)

8 - Magic resistance (3)

9 - Increase in leadership by 1

10 - cause fear. re roll if you already cause fear

11 - cause terror. re roll if you already cause terror

12 - 4+ ward save and stubborn

so if i roll a 2 i re roll

a 3, 4, and 5 i am happy with

6 i can move to seven and then re roll

7 i re roll

8 i can move to seven and re roll

9 i move to 10

10 i keep

11 i move to 12

12 i keep

is this correct ?????

(note, not as good as i thought cause i thought they caused fear and if they did you could keep re rolling til you got a 3, 4, 5 and 12.) so if you roll a 9 and you have a warshrine keep it so you can give your chosen really good bonuses throughout a game.

Geep
14-06-2011, 12:16
Yes that's legal. It's also possible to give the unit the common magic banner which makes the unit cause Terror- allowing you to re-roll 10's as you can shift it up to 11.

I've seen a few threads on this recently- you should do a search.

RanaldLoec
14-06-2011, 12:16
Ninja'd

Yes its correct

Add in the wailing banner so they cause terror and getting that 4+ ward and stubborn becames very likely.

Archaon999
14-06-2011, 12:45
with that magic banner does terror do i re roll 9 and 10 cos terror ≥ fear

SkawtheFalconer
14-06-2011, 12:57
Not only is it legal, it's a fairly common tactic in tournament-type WoC armies, so you should enjoy using it - I do. :) Combine it with a Warshrine or two for even better chance of getting Number 12.

Rochr
14-06-2011, 15:53
This tactic has been around for quite some time you know. Not too uncommon in ard boys.

Gooner
14-06-2011, 17:45
It is also an abuse of the rule in my opinion, and really takes away the interesting part of the whole mechanic.

Also WoC are a good enough army by themselves that if you need to do this to win, then you need more practice.

RanaldLoec
14-06-2011, 18:15
Abusing the rules no.

Having a good knowledge of your army and putting it to good use yes.

And don't call me waac I run a themed dragon ogre list.

with that magic banner does terror do i re roll 9 and 10 cos terror ≥ fear

I believe you reroll because the eye of the gods table states something similar to if you already cause fear or terror reroll the result.

Check the text on the 9 result I'm at work and I don't know my warriors back to front like my Empire.

Bodysnatcher
14-06-2011, 21:11
A good houserule is to say that modifiers can't be used to give you an ineligible roll.

popisdead
14-06-2011, 22:41
You are not the first person to claim this and there aren't many people who validate your argument that you can push the result to something to force a re-roll (other than a few vocal supporters here).

tmarichards
15-06-2011, 02:38
If you've not got 40 Chosen and 2 'Shrines you're not trying hard enough...

@Popisdead- there's no reasonable argument that you can't. The favour of the Gods clearly allows you to adjust the result as per the rules, and the rules are also equally clear about how to treat duplicate powers. No contradiction/restrictions there.

The only restrictions placed upon it are by people who decide that no! that isn't fair! I don't LIKE that so you CAN'T do it.

TMATK
15-06-2011, 02:59

The only restrictions placed upon it are by people who decide that no! that isn't fair! I don't LIKE that so you CAN'T do it.

Yeah, some people don't like playing against giant blocks of troops that are impossible to kill. I don't understand what their problem is.

Seriously though, un-killable chosen blocks are not fun to play against. Take them to 'ard boyz if you must, not to a friendly game.

tmarichards
15-06-2011, 04:39
Completely agree, but my issue is that this then becomes a rules issue when there's no grounding for it