PDA

View Full Version : Tournament Time Limits

heliodorus04
03-04-2006, 20:40
I'm curious what the common experiences are for tournament players in terms of how long a game is expected to run.

I was considering playing in an upcoming RTT of 1750 points, but then I saw that it is 3 rounds, with each round to be completed in 2 hours, and I can't see myself getting through more than four complete turns in such a setting. I'm not the best or most experienced 40K player, but I don't use a ton of models (around 40 basic models, plus tanks), and generally a full 6 turn game is going to take around a half hour per turn at first, maybe less if a lot of models die, and definitely more if you've got nids or non-mech IG or such.

Am I uncharacteristically slow? Between thinking a little, moving models, and rolling dice, it takes a good little while! I don't see myself being able to play my best at a tournament where there's only 2 hours for 1750 points. (The time involved includes setup time, too)

Deadite
03-04-2006, 21:01
2 hours is about right. Make up your mind and move faster? :p ;)
Horde armies might not get a full 6 turns in. But to be honest, few games last over 5 turns anyway without some sort of definitive or predictable winner.

Lord Humongous
03-04-2006, 21:59
I've heard some orc players complain that thier footslogging hordes can't be used to full effect in a tournament- in fact, that opponants will slow the pace down a bit, knowing that such lists can really score a lot close combat of kills in tunrs 4-6. But most normal armies can play a game in 2 hours, if you just stay focussed and don't waste much time between steps.
Try a few practice games under the clock, you'll see that you probably can play faster. I personally prefer fast paced games- an hour per turn is way to slow, and I can only imagine there's a lot of side comments, rules look-ups, pop runs, and so on...
Then again, I play World Eaters. After deployment, I can usually do my first turn or two in under 10 minutes.

Thoth62
03-04-2006, 23:18
Agreed. For me, a 1500 point game usually takes a little under 2 hours. That means that each player turn is taking around 10 minutes to complete. I am of the opinion that if you're taking longer then that to complete a turn, then the game is probably lagging a little bit. There are always ways you can speed up the game, and it always helps if you know the rulebook, and the codicies of both you and your opponent. That way you don't have to go and look in the books every time something pops up that you aren't sure about.

ReDavide
03-04-2006, 23:28
When the terrain is already set up, you both already have your army lists, there's no dithering over what mission to play, and no one is spending time getting distracted by chatty friends, games take a lot less time than they otherwise would.

stjohn70
03-04-2006, 23:33
Only problem with 2 hours, is that it leaves NO time for rulebook/codex referral if needed in game, nor any quick trips to use the facilities (from drinking too much Mountain Dew).
I prefer 2.5 hr game time limits.

zendral
04-04-2006, 00:54
In the tournies i run, i usually do 2 hours a game from 0-1800pts, 3 hours for 1801+.....however i still have a few ppl that lag big time, and so if they cant finish the game is simply called directly at the time limit.....the need to use the restroom or statisfy the bodies needs usually take place between rounds.

most ppl know the rules too, and if they dont it doesnt take too much time to crack a book open...if bigger problems arise they call me over to solve the prob, and i do my homework on the rules, and make quick and fair calls.

Anvils Hammer
04-04-2006, 00:55
I think 2 hours is the right ammount, you shouldent need more than that to finnish a game if you are keeping the pace quick.

scramasax
04-04-2006, 07:25
1500 points: 2 hour
1750 points: 2h30
2000 points: 3h00

I think in tournament they should let us finish the game. I play a tau army and normally finish my game in tournament only if they involve escalation. I move always a lot in the assault phase because of jetpack, embark and disembark troops in transport, fire different type of weapon in the same squad with different range, different weapon from the same vehicle on different target. those detail add up and I often have to skip a turn or two in tournament. This is really annoying because my strategy is often to reduce the ennemy in number and run to the objective in the last turn. Since the last turn is skipped I often finished the game without holding the objective while winning on the point of army killed

The last tournament that I play was a team tournament and in the last game I was playing with an eldar player. The game was going really well, we got the first turn and destroyed all 5 ennemy vehicle, a squad of havoc and half a squad of kroot sniper and some marines and they killed one model. The second turn we continue to kill their army and killed three more of their squad. and they killed nothing. We were feeling sorry for those poor player that were unable to do anything against us. In the third turn we killed again three of their squad and they finally killed one eldar vehicle. we finished the game there because of the time and we lost the game while having only lost 2 model :(

Darkseer
04-04-2006, 07:52
All my games are over in under an hour. But then, I do play Deathwing.

Long_Fang
04-04-2006, 07:58
Your not slow mate. 2 hours is not a very long amount of time. You have to practice it a few times before you can do it.

Treat a tournament game like going to a movie:
1) pee beforehand
2) turn off your cell
3) no talking

You gotta remove the bolter sound effects and screaming direct commands at incompetant units :)

starlight
04-04-2006, 08:13
When playing at a tournament expect to move with a sense of purpose. The two hour time limit is sufficient if you play with a sense of purpose but tight (or worse) if you waste time looking up rules or dithering about your move. Have a plan before you start, stick with it and roll with the punches. The more time you spend thinking, the less time you'll spent playing.

Coming from someone who has both played in and staffed Tournaments, your opponent will very likely be expecting that you know - the rules *very* well, *your* rules/codex absolutely cold and are at least familiar with his rules (assuming it's not an exotic list). Most tournament players that I have met are interested in playing not messing around. If you are fortunate you shouldn't have to use a referee at all. That said, most tournament players also manage to have a good time while playing, they are just focused on the game.

As noted distractions like cell phones and such are, let's just say, unwelcome. I found I can have some very good conversations as long as it doesn't distract from the game.

Good luck and hope you'll have a blast.

minibutmighty
04-04-2006, 09:02
If you play a horde army why dont you get your opponent to help you move units? Obviously he wont dictate where (You move the front rank to define the limits) but if you need to shift 100+ gaunts a turn then I think he'd be willing to help you to speed up the game.

Using this technique I've played a nid vs nid hordes game in 35 minutes. :)

lord_blackfang
04-04-2006, 09:10
2 hours is just about right for an experienced player to finish a 1500-2000 pts game. If the opponent isn't stalling of course...

heliodorus04
04-04-2006, 15:44
A lot of good ideas here. I guess I spend more time looking up my opponent's stuff in the codex than any other wasted time. I also scan the movment/fire lanes a bit before making a decision. I'll practice some timed games, and try to get myself up to speed on faster (and still good) decision making.

And no, a Deathwing army doesn't count for this issue! 1750 point lists with 15 models is pretty easy to move and shoot with!

Deadite
04-04-2006, 15:56
A lot of good ideas here. I guess I spend more time looking up my opponent's stuff in the codex than any other wasted time.

Brush up on exotic rules a bit before the tourney. In many cases, you'll just have to trust your opponent to know his own rules. But if something sounds patently wrong, you just can't avoid the time wasted looking this up. If you can't find it within the first minute, dice off or call over a judge.
Though, if you can't trust your opponent, you probably won't have a good game anyway.

I also scan the movment/fire lanes a bit before making a decision. I'll practice some timed games, and try to get myself up to speed on faster (and still good) decision making.

Most tournaments don't use that much terrain, generally the 25% rule...sometimes less. Firelanes aren't typically much of an issue since a good portion of the table is open.
But yeah, figuring out what your unit(s) can and cannot withstand from your opponent, faster, would help in your decision making.

It might also help to know what kinds of army lists you typically field at a tournament. Too much diversity in the list could lead to a lot of unnecessary decisions. I hate to say it, but speed favors a more bland list. If you know exactly what unit 'x' does, you know exactly what it can and can not do. If you have multiple 'x' units, you know exactly how to treat each of them on the field. If you have an 'x', a 'y' and a 'z' unit, you have to treat each of them differently, so you'll be forced to use more care when deciding what each will do.