PDA

View Full Version : Question concerning terrain density ina one square foot area.

ASSASSINAWOKEN
16-06-2011, 15:13
I asked this here to gain some insight before proceeded later this week.

I purchased a one square foot thin balsa wood base plate for the base of my new terrain piece. I am using the old third edition gothic ruin sprues. I have enough to place two in opposite corners and pieces of another matching set in the other opposite corners.

My question would be would it be okay to place one more set in the inner parts of the one foot square? There would not be room for Dreadnaught/MC models to move in or through the terrain. My idea is to create a sort of what is left of a last stand which failed to protect the ruins and inner ruins.

Thoughts.

Might be able to get a picture for reference later this evening as well.

Thanks

Axeman1n
16-06-2011, 15:20
I prefer my buildings to offer easy mobility within, while still providing good LoS blocking. The trick is to achieve a balance.

Carlosophy
16-06-2011, 16:11
Make it as dense as possible without obstructing player access.
One of the reasons mech is so popular is the distinct lack of scenery around.
Even with tanks modern battles are fought in very dense terrain. You'd think 40k was WW1 the way some people play.

nik
16-06-2011, 16:16
I agree with Carlosophy. Much of my terrain is purposed to prevent tank/walker movement.

Bunnahabhain
16-06-2011, 17:40
Keep it open.

You can always add loose terrain, but can't take away fixed stuff.

ASSASSINAWOKEN
16-06-2011, 20:02
Thanks for the feedback.

My intentions is to limit medium to heavy infantry and not allow vehicles to get in. It will be a position to hold or shoot from, but open to allow assaults if needed to remove other units.

Here is my idea so far by planning. GR is the Gothic ruin and its extensions on the board. So there is one outter set with an inner set for a sanctom on some sorts.

Then I have barricades, rubble, and razor wire to add effects.

Not sure how to get the test to allign right. One GR in each corner with four more GR in the middle. So think square in square.

- - - - - - - - - - - -
| GR GR GR GR |
| GR GR |
| |
| GR GR GR GR |
| GR GR |
| |
| |
| GR GR |
| GR GR GR GR |
| |
| GR GR |
| GR GR GR GR |
- - - - - - - - - - - -

Additional thoughts?

Bunnahabhain
16-06-2011, 20:33
Use ...... to space stuff. It works wonders

ASSASSINAWOKEN
16-06-2011, 21:57
Use ...... to space stuff. It works wonders

Genius, pure genius.

MajorWesJanson
17-06-2011, 02:47
An easy way to get an interesting pattern is to make a sort of stret intersection, wide enough for say a bit more than a land raider. Then continue to add ruins to create the illusion of bombed out buildings. Figure out your negative space then fill in terrain.

ASSASSINAWOKEN
17-06-2011, 02:57
Here is a picture for reference.

The inner ruins are a bit off. Would you consider it too busy?

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/sK8jlqk6m65Ko8RNmHgwSw?feat=directlink

ManicMunky
17-06-2011, 11:59
Looks good to me!

ard boy stu
17-06-2011, 17:03
Yeah seems fine!

Brother Loki
17-06-2011, 17:13
Absolutely fine. I'd add some scatter rubble, perhaps made from chopped up sprue or something, and some sand/dust.

Worship
17-06-2011, 17:33
I like the concept, I want to see it painted!

ASSASSINAWOKEN
20-06-2011, 03:07
I opened a terrain log for this terrain piece and another terrain piece. You all helped boost my enthusiasm and defeat my indecisiveness.

Please check out and keep up as I work. I would like you feedback and comments as I proceed.

http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=307852

Thanks