PDA

View Full Version : Grail reiquae?? Umm what?

lovedinplaster
16-06-2011, 17:29
Why would anyone consider running this? I don't ever see these units being more than overcosted skavenslaves, easy cannon target as well... So what's the deal here? I know they can't get points for capturing it.. But the unit can still put up vp for the opponent through opts a model..

xxRavenxx
16-06-2011, 17:36
You get to do cool monty python dioramas, with them pretending their knight is alive. THAT'S WHY.

russellmoo
16-06-2011, 17:36
They are stubborn, and a little more durable than M@A-

So really you run them because they are stubborn-

Razaan
16-06-2011, 17:38
I don't think people use the Reliquae any more.... unless you are going for fun and fluff.

Confessor_Atol
16-06-2011, 17:41
They were good in 6th and 7th..... except for the price$$$. If you really want to use them you could put them in the foret, and laugh when a large steadfast unit charges you and looses its steadfast.....while you're still stubborn

Malorian
16-06-2011, 18:46
Meh... I don't like running any lowly peasants at all, but even now the GR isn't that bad.

Remember that the M@A can't go hand weapon shield any more so if you want a defensive block then the GR is your answer. They even come with the blessing.

It's also a big boon that they are stubborn on the general's leadership, so unlike M@A you can go for horde formation and just wack away knowing that you won't break until the last model dies (or you get unlucky).

lovedinplaster
16-06-2011, 19:09
Unit size cap is 24, I don't think a horde formation would go so smoothly.. Laying down 30 ws 2 attacks.. I see this unit as a speed bump.. Or mostly to prepare enemies for side charges. Anyone have success with this?

popisdead
16-06-2011, 20:46
In the previous edition having a higher WS and stubborn block was pretty good in a Bretonnian army.

Comparing a book that is 6/7 years old with a book that is a year old is blindsighted. Of course Skaven slaves are a better value,... now.

Haravikk
16-06-2011, 21:29
Stubborn with blessing of the lady and hand weapon and shields makes them excellent for holding up enemies. Best fielded deepish to minimise damage since their return attacks are fairly pathetic, but they're great at holding up enemies for a knightly charge.

I just despise the current reliquae model, as it's just making a mockery of the knight that it's supposedly revering, so I'll be converting one eventually, I just wish you could buy the right bases.

lovedinplaster
16-06-2011, 22:47
So would a 2 or 3 wide unit and 12 or 6 deep be viable for a tarpit?

Malorian
17-06-2011, 01:24
So would a 2 or 3 wide unit and 12 or 6 deep be viable for a tarpit?

If needed sure. They are stubborn ranks or not.

Might as well reduce incoming attacks if your goal is just to tarpit.

russellmoo
17-06-2011, 14:28
If you are only 2 models wide, it will also be easier to get the counter charge in- against a horde you could still get 2 units of knights in on the counter charge this way-

Awilla the Hun
21-06-2011, 11:18
The Red Guards find their equivalent invaluable as a unit which can actually, for a time, hold its own in close combat. It usually gets dumped on a refused flank, often used for war machine defence, and is left there to hold the enemy back for as long as possible; it excels at this, in large part because it allows the Commissars to ride elsewhere. Hatred also means that they can hit surprisingly hard. Sticking a Commissar with Virtue of Empathy in the front rank (cheaper than large units of knights, and giving leadership to the refused flank) helps their killing power enormously. They're also a relatively compact unit; dumping thirty strong waves of Red Guardsmen onto a refused flank means that they block shooting lines, and diverts far too many men from the main effort.

Slayerthane
19-07-2011, 19:36
Why take them? Easy, they get stubborn without having to be steadfast. That's why someone would take them. You can run them as a small stubborn flanker unit or a maybe as a speedbump tying up unit if they can survive around of combat from getting charged (yes this could be a big "if"). I haven't played Brets yet, but I am collecting an army and I DO think there is potential here.