PDA

View Full Version : Returning to Fantasy after over a decade away.

The Kvlt Is Alive!
17-06-2011, 12:20
Hey guys,

Well, I started playing Fantasy back in '92 when I was a kid and stopped somewhere around '99/'00 but have decided to pick up the game again, as I fancy a bit of a change up from 40k.

Only army I ever had was Dark Elves and I loved them deeply, and given that I still had a bunch of my old metal models still, it was an easy decision to return to the Naggrothi. (And having a copy of the new army book signed by Gav Thrope helped the decision, lol.)

Ok, so this army loosey resembles my army of yesteryear, I realise it's not going to be the most steamlined or competitive list out there, but I'm hoping it'll be fun to play, quite stylized and contains all my favourite DE units.

No idea which lore of magic to pick for my sorceress yet, so help on that is definitely welcome, as are any other comments!

Cheers guys!
Tom.

----------

Dark Elves - 2,400 points.

Lords (500 pts)
Dreadlord
- Black Dragon
- Sea Dragon Cloak, Shield, Heavy Armour, Death Piercer.

Heroes (456 pts)
Master
- Manticore
- Heavy Armour, Shield, Sea Dragon Cloak, Beastmasterís Scourge.

Sorceress
- Level 2, Lore of ??
- Dispel Scroll.

Core (614 pts)
Dark Riders
- 4 Dark Riders with Repeater Crossbows
- 1 Dark Rider Musician with Repeater Crossbow

Dark Riders
- 4 Dark Riders with Repeater Crossbows
- 1 Dark Rider Musician with Repeater Crossbow

Dark Elf Repeater Crossbowmen
- 10 Crossbowmen

- 10 Crossbowmen

- 18 Crossbowmen

Special (450 pts)
Cold One Knights
- Dread Knight
- Musician
- Standard Bearer
- 2 Cold One Knights

Cold One Knights
- Dread Knight
- Musician
- Standard Bearer
- 2 Cold One Knights

Cold One Chariot

Rare (375 pts)
War Hydra

Reaper Bolt Thrower
- 2 Bolt Throwers

Total Points: 2395

tmarichards
17-06-2011, 12:29
Manticores and Dragons are sadly some of the biggest losers of the new edition, not being able to hide them very much any more means that they can get killed fairly easily.

Shadow is a very good lore for Dark Elves.

Bolt Throwers are very very fragile now, there's not really a place for them over shades any more in my opinion.

Morax
17-06-2011, 12:29
You will find it much harder to stay away from the opposing army and panic tests are not going to work nearly as often. Looks like a fun list to play with big scary monsters and lots of fast stuff. Just don't be surprised when the dragon and manticore either die quickly to warmachine fire or bounce off of infantry blocks.

thesheriff
17-06-2011, 14:55
I love 'Monster Mash' Dark elves as much as the next guy, but it really doesnt work in this edition.

8th ed revolves arpound big units. Really big units. You dotn have to do this, but it does mean that your monsters wont cause enough damage to break units on the charge anymore.

I would put your lord on a cold one, and drop the master. Use the points to get a seound hydra and get some more knights. They really do need to be bigger!

thesheriff

Uriain
20-06-2011, 22:04
I have to throw in the "vote for" a Monster Mash list.

I am currently playing the following

Dragon Lord
2 lvl 2's
Cauldron BSB
2 blocks of 35 warriors
2 units of 10 RxB
2 units of 5 harpies
Charriot
2 Hydra's

I have fought a semi gun line Empire (not as bad as it could have been) Tomb Kings, WoC, O&G, and Skaven, and have pulled wins in every game so far (6-0 with the list)

Dont get me wrong, Monster Mash will get stomped if you go against a super gun line, but against most armies, who cannot produce that kind of hurt, they have a chance of making it in. They key I found.. Breath Weapons! Letting lose outside of combat to cover 20+ guys with a template is brilliant, and really helps your combat in the following combat phase.

Now here's the thing, using a breath weapon like that will leave you open to charge.. so I found it best to use against infantry, with my own infantry beside my monster to support it, so they both get into combat OR charge with both, and use the breath weapon in combat to try and break steadfast as quickly as possible. Point and Case - Last game was against Skaven, and baring a miscast on his plague priest (which killed 9 of his own guys) first round of combat saw 17 monks die due to warrior attacks, hydra attacks, breathweapon and thunderstomp...

In the end... is a a Monster mash list the most effective or "streamlined".... No.. not by a long shot.. but they do have a reasonable chance of winning against most opponents if you work a little harder at it, and are really fun to play :)

PS.. if you drop one thing.. make it the Dark Riders, they are Rubbish in this edition (imo)

drow777
21-06-2011, 19:49
My Dragonlord has become a bit of a cannonball magnet in this edition, I find myself dropping more and more units of crossbowers and taking bigger units of spears just to counter my opponent's.
Hydras seem to work very nicely though.

Morax
21-06-2011, 20:40
I'm not saying a monster mash list can't work, but it takes block infrantry to take away steadfast. In the current list there isn't any. If you want to go with a monster mash list you need to drop a unit of knights, a chariot and the dark riders and funnel those points into warriors. With that you should be able to afford 2 good sized units and be able to support them with whichever monster is hanging arround at the time. You could also drop the bolt throwers and a unit of knights instead of the other choices if you want to keep the speedy element to your army. Either will make your army more functional but sadly I fear you may not find it as fun to play.

Flightly Rawr is a fun army type to play but at the moment it is, well more challenging then what most players would prefer.

col
23-06-2011, 09:23
I'm not a dark elf player but i quite like the look of this list. I know large monsters took a hit in 8th but the potential for carnage is huge! A combo charge with the hydra and chariot to the front and the monsters in flank or rear gives a potential 8d6+1 auto hits from breath weapons, stomp and impact hits before any actual attacks are factored in! MSU is all about concentration of force on 8th ed. Pull it off and you can wipe out hordes in a turn.