PDA

View Full Version : The Road to Bretonnia

Pioneer
17-06-2011, 18:01
Hello all, it's been a while since my last post but now I have something to teel/ask from you experienced players.

I'm going to sell my O&G army to a friend and I was thinking of getting a small force of Bretts just for painting them but if in case of making them a fully tournament powered army I could use some good notes about units and their tactics. I haven't got the armybook yet but the general idea of the army is very well known to me.

To start the army I'll need of course couple of core units and a hero to lead them. The standard Lord or Hero will do fine and to make him I was thinking the new green knight finecast kit, specially the horse and on it a standard KotR model. For core choices I'll take two big units of Knight of the Realm, maybe 11-12 models each ( 3 boxes in total). In current edition the bigger units might be better.

After these units are ready I could invest on horde men-at-arms and/or bowmen. I also got some left-over models that I could use for the Grail Reliquae and Pilgrims, convert a nice small center-piece for the army. If the army should ever get to the tournament size then it would probably include couple of Trebuchet's and Pegasus Knights.

Then about the tactics, I guess all combats should include atleast two units to make for the win. How well does the Grail Reliquae work in this matter, I have understood that they work little like Empire Flagellants, but do correct me if that is not the case.

What should I be on the look-out? Any other thougths or tips are welcomed.

-Pioneer

BBWags
17-06-2011, 18:14
I'm not a Bretonnia player myself, but a friend is and I've seen numerous battle reports featuring them. My two notes would be:

The grail reliquae Thingie isn't worth it in this edition. There is a thread devoted to this topic a little further down the forum.

Trebuchets rock, no pun intended. Use them. S10 (5) without having to worry about guess range? Yes, please!

It's not much, but there ya go...

DareX2
17-06-2011, 19:19
This (http://www.roundtable-bretonnia.org/index.php?option=com_fireboard&Itemid=87&func=view&id=98996&catid=3) should answer plenty of questions. It features in depth analysis of the units in 8th, and general strategy for using Brets.

Dante blackfur
17-06-2011, 19:23
I play brets, (Among my hordes or other armies :)) Trebs are AMAZING! take two at all times, (4 in 3k+) as for knights they are good units, 2+/6/5++ save is really handy, they get to kill a ton of stuff on charges, but that was they're best point in 7th. it has bee tamed down a ton in 8th due to steadfast and step-up. don't get me wrong they are good, just not as good as they where. also having a cap of 15 models in the unit can hurt. no hording knights :( hordes of M@A is pretty good, I like to run my archers as skirmishers with flaming attacks. (Fun monster killers and cheep) My suggestion for a lord is Palidan, tricked out for maximum Static CR. a friend of mine also plays brets and his build gives him a static 7+ CR I believe. its brutal. but other then that Brets are a fun army to play and paint, and have fun with them. oh yeah, don't take the grail reliqe. as said above, read the thread about it a little further down and you can understand why.

Awilla the Hun
21-06-2011, 12:00
Bear in mind that all advice from me is from a Bretonnian player with an unconventional army, based almost exculsively on the might of the revolutionary peasant classes striking down reactionaries wherever they arise. They only have one (eight or nine strong) unit of Knights, as well as some Pegasi; the rest of the army consists of numberless waves of loyal and trusted Red Guardsmen.

-Trebuchets are invaluable. Take as many as possible, and pray to your chosen opiate of the people that they hit whenever unleashed. Use them to take out large threats first (Treeman Ancients, in particular, have learned that No Wall Can Withstand Revolutionary Thought-or Trebuchets), as these can hold up massed infantry waves and knight blocks with horrifying ease. Then focus on whatever your knight blocks are about to charge, so as to weaken their numbers and remove steadfast.

-Pegasus Knights are also useful. Wood Elves hate the things; I once had a unit of three rampage single handed through most of an army's Dryads. Use them to march block, harass, take out war machines, wizards, small units, absorb limited amounts of missile fire (Flamers of Tzeentch will trouble them, as will mass gunpowder and Hellblasters-but skirmish formation, T4, 3+ armour and blessing makes them tolerably resilient), and counter attack enemy units in the rear once they're in the midst of your lines. (If you insist on being Bretonnian about it and charging the enemy... use them to take out war machines first, then, if neccessary, rear charge the unit your Knights have just struck.)

-The Heartwood Lance, combined with Heroic Killing Blow, is a killer. Give it to a Pegasus rider, and hunt large monsters. Steam Tanks are a perfect target. Similarly, I've found him useful in chasing down small units of Ethereals-Spirit Hosts, Wraiths, etc-which your Knights can't touch, but he can rip to pieces with his magic weapon. These, however, are generally best targeted with magic missiles (if you have any), or the grinding might of your men at arms' rank bonus (if they can be spared from holding the main enemy force. Which they often can't be.)

-This leads me on to... characters. I generally don't overload mine with killing power; they either motivate the men, cast magic, or (occasionally) are used as snipers. The main killing instrument for me is weight of numbers and firepower, not a handful of easily killable officers. That said, this is a themed army, not one based around tactical efficiency.

-Men at arms... not as good as they once were (cheaper opponents, can't use their shield), but still reasonably effective. Use to hold the enemy up, and provide rank bonuses to Knightly charges. In Horde Formation, their massed polearms can do some respectable damage, but they're only worth hording if you have at least fourty of them. A fairly hefty investment. ALWAYS keep Knights close to hand, because they will lost the vast majority of their combats, and Ld8 steadfast will be repeatedly called upon. Of course, if those Knights are in a flank charge against the enemy, so much the better; but be prepared to have the impact of it sadly nullified by the enemy continuing to kill off industrial quantities of peasants.

-Similarly... bowmen. My experience with these has been sadly tarnished by many of my opponents being Warriors of Chaos, or other tough armies which simply ignore puny arrows. Against lightly armoured foes, however, they're a whole different matter. Peasant longbowmen, behind stakes and with fire arrows, are very effective against lightly armoured troops, can outshoot surprisingly nasty missile troops in missile duels (e.g. Repeater Crossbowmen), and can be turned on regenerating units to amusing effect. However, a word of caution: against wood elves (the only really flammable army out there), their burning arrows are overrated. Those Treekin/Treemen still usually require sixes to wound, and have a useful armour/ward save of their own. Still, Braziers are usually a well spent 5 points. Their most important use, I've found, is part of a refused flank. This refused flank is especially useful because, as it shoots the enemy, it compels them to send troops to deal with it.

-Mounted Yeomen: again, very useful as cannon fodder, war engine hunting, refused flank, and march blocking. In close combat, their utility is sadly limited. Perfectly average light cavalry.

-The Grail Reliquae, for me at least, does have a use. It's the one unit I can really trust to, with reasonable points efficiency, independently hold the enemy up in close combat. (Obviously, a horde of Grail Knights could hold almost anything in combat if charged... but for far more points.) I generally dump it on a refused flank, put in a cheap Commissar with Virtue of Empathy (there's usually a trebuchet and some archers there also), and watch as the enemy furiously deploy their massive uber combat unit of doom exactly opposite them, only to find that most of my army is deployed on the other side of the battlefield. Which brings me the crucial part of my way of war...

-In the end, bickering about exact configurations of magic items on a hero, or precisely how many of what man should go in which unit, is a secondary consideration to deployment. As a peasant player, I know most of my troops are going to be horribly outfought by almost everything in the enemy army. I know that the centerpiece of my army-the trusty man at arms-is now overpriced, and more vulnerable than ever to enemy weapons due to his shield being unusable in combat. Even my Commissars aren't that effective when faced with some of the real heavy hitters. What wins (or, at least, bloodily draws) battles is deployment. Make sure the Commissariat (Knights) is close to the main mass of your infantry so as to launch counter attacks and provide leadership, or even full scale shock charges. (However, I generally distrust these with my single unit of Knights of the Realm and BSB. If they fall, then a massive chunk of victory points and leadership is gone. You, with more Knights, can afford to be more aggressive.) Use tiny, expendable units to draw large enemy units away from your main mass (Yeoman Cavalry, say, or small archer units) so as you can buy a few more turns crushing the main enemy force under sheer weight of numbers/cavalry charges, or to prepare something else for the main unit. And so on. With a peasant army, you will almost certainly have more men and blocks than anything bar goblins or Skaven. You will learn to hate Dawn Attack, of course; but so do many armies.

Of course, if you choose the heavy cavalry route, then much of my advice will be of little use. Good luck, all the same.