PDA

View Full Version : Getting 1000pts of Marines ready for Bristol Carnage and Beyond...

Snakebite
03-04-2006, 22:57
This is my new project log for my DIY Chapter of Space Marines. I bought my ticket for Bristol Carnage at the weekend and it has suddenly struck me that I only have two and a half models painted up...

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y16/Tularis/CompletedChaplainFront.jpg

and

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y16/Tularis/NewChampionB.jpg

I've yet to work out an exact list for the event but that will have to come later. If I let myself get caught up in writing the list, I won't get any painting done. I have a lot of stuff that I want to squeeze into the army at 1000pts so this project will keep me on track and will let me produce models for the army that are a high enough quality for me to proudly display them on the day.

Bristol Carnage T - 69 days.

Painted:
Chaplain
Champion

Work In Progress:
Deathwatch Veteran
Techmarine
4 x Servitors
Land Speeder Tornado
Scout Squad
Assault Squad
Whirlwind

Untouched:
Predator

Keeping a list like this should provide me with the incentive I need to finish the project on time and on target. This is the first time I've attempted this, so it's fingers crossed (although, obviously not while painting!) and heads down. Each day I will try to make progress and when I do, units will move up a list. Once they do, I will take new pictures and post them. To save space, I'll only post the "Painted" models. Next update in approximately 24 hours!

Good luck, me!

ZAChos
03-04-2006, 23:14
Good luck, though I would recommend doing it in small chunks, so then you are encouraged by getting units finished before moving on to the next thing.

Lavfluris
03-04-2006, 23:22
Snakebite, I wish you the best of luck. It'll be good to see the colour scheme we both made up front. ;)

Warboss Garfang
04-04-2006, 00:49
Looks good, can't wait to see more.

What's the chapter's name? I'm assuming their color scheme is the black/blue split in half, which I like quite a lot.

BodhiTree
04-04-2006, 01:26
Would it be rude to inquire as to how you achieved the marble effect on the crozius? I really like it. I'm curious about how mny layers it took, how long you spent on it compared to normal parts of your models etc.

Scorpio
04-04-2006, 03:30
Would it be rude to inquire as to how you achieved the marble effect on the crozius? I really like it. I'm curious about how mny layers it took, how long you spent on it compared to normal parts of your models etc.

Definitely not rude. Always feel free to ask questions around here.
As for the models they look good.But sounds like you got to get to work so
*cracks whip*
WORK!!;)

-Scorpio

Snakebite
04-04-2006, 08:25
Wow! I didn't expect that much feedback overnight. Now, to some answers...

Good luck, though I would recommend doing it in small chunks, so then you are encouraged by getting units finished before moving on to the next thing.

I agree completely with you there. Too often in the past have I jumped in with completely unreasonable objectives and consquently have not finished projects. Not this time though - my time spent as a member of the Warseer Painting Support Group has helped immeasurably.

Snakebite, I wish you the best of luck. It'll be good to see the colour scheme we both made up front. ;)

Thanks. As it's my first event, I'll be posting as full a report as I can. I just need to figure out a way of recording what happens without detracting from the games. I'm the kind of player that needs his attention!

Looks good, can't wait to see more.

What's the chapter's name? I'm assuming their color scheme is the black/blue split in half, which I like quite a lot.

They're called the Emperor's Disciples, after a Daemonhunters army I tried out a few years ago. You're right about the scheme - the blue and black split happened by accident when I was trying out a method of painting Ultramarines. I didn't want to paint a whole test model and so only painted half of the Marine in blue. When I was done, I liked the model so much that I adopted it as a scheme.

Not rude at all! I'd be happy to share how it was done, although this (http://uk.games-workshop.com/spacemarines/painting-chaplains/6/) would be a better way of explaining it! I only used one layer of each colour and I had to highlight it one level higher by drybrushing Jade Green over the top. As for how long I spent on it compared to other areas, to be honest it was about the same length of time. I wanted it to look good, and it was an effect that was surprisingly easy to achieve.

Definitely not rude. Always feel free to ask questions around here.

I second the motion!

As for the models they look good.But sounds like you got to get to work so
*cracks whip*
WORK!!

I am! I am!

Thanks for the interest, guys. See you in a little over twelve hours for my first update.

SB

BodhiTree
04-04-2006, 15:15
Thanks for the link, that was pretty helpful. :)

Snakebite
04-04-2006, 22:58
Thanks for the link, that was pretty helpful. :)

No problem. Be sure to let us know how it works out for you.

Now, to tonight's update. I've spent a little more time tonight working on my Deathwatch Veteran. He's come far enough along for me to post a picture of him, so here goes:

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y16/Tularis/Deathwatch1.jpg

The artificial light I normally use has somehow made this model very shiny! I'll take a better picture of him over the next couple of days, once his highlights have been done and he's been glued together properly. I've had the idea of painting a Xenos symbol on his loincloth to represent the alien he has had most experience in fighting against because it seemed to be such a big space to completely fill with writing. Once I've decided on a race and how to symbolise it, I'll add it with a little free-hand.

Also tonight, I've decided that I want the Carnage event to be a campaign that the army is involved in. This is much the same thing as the Winter War I took part in back in January. Basically it works by me marking out the underside of the base of all of the models that survive a game. If any models survive all of the games in Carnage, they'll get a campaign badge painted onto their armour. I haven't decided what it will look like yet but there's plenty of time for that!

And now, the all important list...

Painted:
Chaplain
Champion

Work In Progress:
Deathwatch Veteran
Techmarine
4 x Servitors
Land Speeder Tornado
Scout Squad
Assault Squad
Whirlwind

Untouched:
Predator

I know nothing has changed on it, but it's worth mentioning I managed to build the Assault Squad, and the Scouts' bodies. The Speeder is all but built and the Whirlwind has been built and the painting started.

static-breed
05-04-2006, 00:21
Great scheme (it's the same as my DIY Deathwing chapter). The best of luck to you. :)

Snakebite
05-04-2006, 23:45
Great scheme (it's the same as my DIY Deathwing chapter). The best of luck to you. :)

Thanks very much! It's a simple and yet striking scheme that works well on Terminators as well.

For my update tonight, I've finished working on the Deathwatch Veteran, now officially named as Brother Gustus. I'll decide what his Xenos picture will be once Carnage is finished.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y16/Tularis/DeathwatchA.jpg

Now that he is finished, I'm moving my attention to a vehicle - my Whirlwind. Here's a picture of how it looks so far. I'm keen to get to grips with painting a vehicle in this scheme because my previous attempt came out too light and I want to bring the infantry models and vehicles closer together in colour.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y16/Tularis/WhirlwindA.jpg

Here's the list as it now stands...

Painted:
Chaplain
Champion
Deathwatch Veteran

Work In Progress:
Techmarine
4 x Servitors
Land Speeder Tornado
Scout Squad
Assault Squad
Whirlwind

Untouched:
Predator

Woohoo, we have the first change in the list! Feels good.

Inquisitor Konig
06-04-2006, 21:37
why the single deathwatch marine in your army? oh, and his face looks bad ass by the way!

Snakebite
06-04-2006, 22:57
The idea behind the single Deathwatch Veteran in the army is based on individual Marines being seconded to the Deathwatch and then returning to share their experience with the rest of their Chapter. Rather than having an entire Kill Team, I just wanted a single Marine to add a little variation to his squad. And thanks for the comment about his face - I hated painting faces before and I've only just got the hang of it after about ten years!

No picture in the update tonight because for whatever reason, the camera will not take a picture that's not fuzzy! I've done a lot more to the Whirlwind tonight and it's really starting to take shape.

I won't print the list again tonight as it hasn't changed since last night. In future, I'll only reprint it when it changes.

Thanks for the interest so far.

SB

Snakebite
07-04-2006, 07:30
Finally managed to get some non-fuzzy pictures of the Whirlwind...

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y16/Tularis/Whirlwind1.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y16/Tularis/Whirlwind2.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y16/Tularis/Whirlwind3.jpg

Next update tonight.

Snakebite
07-04-2006, 22:20
Just had it pointed out to me that my "T - "count was off - let's hope my gaming skills are better than my math skills!

No painting update from me tonight as I got back home from work really late. As a consequence, there are no picture updates and list changes tonight but I'm hoping that will change tomorrow!

Snakebite
09-04-2006, 00:04
I got back late from work again today but managed to do a little more work on the Whirlwind while watching a bit of Bond...

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y16/Tularis/WhirlwindB.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y16/Tularis/WhirlwindC.jpg

No new ideas on the painting side of things today, although I have been giving the list some serious thought. I'll start a thread in the Tactics section next week when I've got some more time.

As always, I'm getting a little bit ahead of myself - what do I paint next? The Assault Marines are much nearer to being ready to paint than the Scouts are so it will most likely be them.

Kasrkin 666
09-04-2006, 03:55
Love the black!How'd you make it look so flat?
-666:cool:

Snakebite
09-04-2006, 07:54
To be honest, I think the camera helped with the finished effect!

It was just a Chaos Black spray with watered down Chaos Black paint over the top of that. I don't usually water my paints down to that level but I was using a tank brush and it was holding more water than I thought.

Snakebite
09-04-2006, 23:18
Once again, no meaningful progress from me. I've spent a little time today thinking about the army list but given that this is my only day off this week, I've been heavily immersed in real life!

Normal service will resume (I hope!) tomorrow.

Snakebite
11-04-2006, 23:12
Normal service will resume (I hope!) tomorrow.

Boy, how wrong was I!

Several late nights back from work and my painting has all but stopped. However, as I do a lot of driving during the day, I get a lot of thinking time and so I've all but finalised my army list for the event. I know what I need to paint and more importantly perhaps, how I'm going to paint it. When, is another question!

Snakebite
12-04-2006, 23:43
Hurrah!

I actually managed to get some more painting done tonight. The straight lines on the Whirlwind have been tidied up and a few more of the base colours have been added. I've painted a lot of the turret in silver as it should IMO be metal but it somehow looks wrong. Maybe it will look better once the tank has been inked. Whenever I hit a point like this when the colour doesn't look right, I start to question the whole project - but then, this is what this log is for. Push past that, and get my army painted!

Snakebite
13-04-2006, 22:53
Got my rules pack in the post this morning and learned that I can't use my Deathwatch paintjob. I was a bit disappointed by it but am determined not to let myself get too down about it!

The Whirlwind is taking a long time to get ready so I may start on the Scouts and then come back to it.

No painting again tonight but here starts a three day weekend - even I can get some painting done with that time!

Snakebite
17-04-2006, 22:35
Painting work has all but come crashing to a halt recently - but the project continues! Since receiving the rules pack for the tournament, I've been thinking a lot about the army list I will take to the event. I've been searching through my bits boxes, looking for interesting components to finish off my models. I've also had several new ideas for conversions for the army...

From the start, I wanted some kind of "Veteran" unit in the army. I've been thinking about this for ages now and I've come up with what I hope is a suitable choice. The first game I played with this army was against the Ultramarines and it was this game that set the whole tone for the army. I decided that the Emperor's Disciples would be an army that fought anyone that contravened what they believed to be the Emperor's vision for his Imperium.

One of the unforeseen results of this idea was a bitter emnity between the Disciples and the Ultramarines. I decided that the two Chapters had been at each other's throats for centuries, and had even engaged in a long and costly war. They frequently skirmish even today, producing Disciples that have extensive experience in fighting against the Ultramarines. So whereas the Ultramarines have the Tyrannic War Veterans, so the Emperor's Disciples have the Ultramarine War Veterans! I'm still toying with the idea of Traits in the army so the unit may get something to make them stand out even more. At the moment, all they get is decoration...

Brother_Captain_Eberus
19-04-2006, 20:12
Nice bit of history for the army.
I beleive an army is incomplete without a story behind them.
Good luck and keep up the good work.

Tom
19-04-2006, 20:47
And the Inquisitiorial smackdown for infuriating the Ultramarines comes....

Now.

Space marines don't war against each other, leave that for Chaos. A friendly SW/DA style rivalry, sure (maybe use a 'training' style thing where ythey pit each other's forces against the other?)

I'm not saying you can't do it, I'm just saying it seems silly and poorly thought out.

Brother_Captain_Eberus
19-04-2006, 21:35
wait....why didn't I see that?
Oh well, a good history minus the war

Snakebite
19-04-2006, 21:54
And the Inquisitiorial smackdown for infuriating the Ultramarines comes....

Now.

There are as many different factions within the Inquisition as there are Space Marine Chapters. The Emperor's Disciples have very strong Inquisitorial ties as you'd expect from a loyal Chapter. The fact that these ties are somewhat radical in their bent emphasises the nature of the Emperor's Disciples. They do it their way because as far as they are concerned, they are right.

Space marines don't war against each other, leave that for Chaos.

Oh, have no fear - the forces of the Great Enemy are just as deserving of the Chapter's wrath.

A friendly SW/DA style rivalry, sure (maybe use a 'training' style thing where ythey pit each other's forces against the other?)

Reading various Dark Angel related threads here on Warseer recently, it has become clear that the Dark Angels Chapter are becoming very serious when it comes to protecting their secret. Destroying Black Templar cruisers to prevent the secret getting out is only the beginning. Only the Dark Angels themselves know to what lengths they will go to keep their secret.

I'm not saying you can't do it, I'm just saying it seems silly and poorly thought out.

wait....why didn't I see that?
Oh well, a good history minus the war

Well, I'm not going to start a flame war with you. That it's silly and poorly thought out is your opinion, and you're entitled to it. The game, and its background is what we make it. As for me, the future of the Emperor's Disciples Chapter is as unclear to me as it is to them...

As far as modelling the army goes, the Scouts have been built and based, ready for priming. The first two Ultramarine War Veterans are ready to be based and I am very proud of how they have turned out.

Though you can't see it, the bases on the Scouts have cut up card on them to represent flagstones. The Sergeant is carrying a Combi Melta gun for added tank blasting.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y16/Tularis/ScoutSquad.jpg

I have a few left over Ultramarine bits from various boxes and this unit gave me the chance to use them up.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y16/Tularis/Veterans.jpg

And finally the converted Assault Squad. The empty handed Marine on the far right will be carrying a Flamer.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y16/Tularis/Assault.jpg

Tomorrow will hopefully see more painting.

Snakebite
20-04-2006, 22:27
The Scouts have been primed in preparation for painting this week. I had hoped to try out a few tactics and troop choices in a game this afternoon but the club was way too busy. Still, I have a few solid ideas for the construction of the army...

The Ultramarines War Veterans will have True Grit to enable them to use their Bolters to full effect as well as being dangerous in close combat. They will most likely be joined by the Chaplain to make them more dangerous in assaults, particularly with the Furious Charge skill. I don't want them to be too costly a unit so I will have to make sure I don't get carried away...

I will also be using the Cleanse and Purify Trait to maximise the Special Weapons I can take. I'm not a fan of including Heavy Weapons in Tactical Squads (or Explicator Squads as I call them - my variant Tactical Squad based on the Inquisition!) so the more Special Weapons I can carry, the better.

I will be using the Eye to Eye Major Disadvantage and the Death Before Dishonour Minor Disadvantage. More on this when I post my list...

So, yes - Explicator Squads... The way I see it, the Emperor's Disciples Chapter have modified the teachings of the Codex Astartes to more readily conform to their own methods. In the same way that the Black Templars have Crusader Squads, so I have Explicator Squads. I'm also taking the idea that my Chapter can draw on (considerable) help from the Inquisition - albeit Radicals - to the extreme as well. Thus, my Explicator Squads are commanded by Inquisitors. These characters are basically Veteran Sergeants by another name. They are Inquisitors in name only.

Snakebite
21-04-2006, 23:51
I've started painting the whole squad of Scouts tonight but I'm finding it to be really hard going. At the same time, I need a way of painting squads faster!

I think I may stick to painting two at a time, or maybe even just stick with one at a time. The last thing I want is to be overwhelmed with this army since I've put so much work in to its background so I do need to sort this out quickly. I'm happier painting one model at a time and working on it until it has reached a standard I'm happy with, so I guess I'll be doing that.

The Whirlwind is ready for highlighting as well as adding a few extra details along the way. It's progress, albeit slow progress...

Snakebite
22-04-2006, 23:50
I spent a little bit of time tonight painting the Scouts. I'm working on them two at a time as a compromise. The camera needs new batteries so there are no pictures tonight, but hopefully over the next couple of days that will change.

The army list is all but complete and will be posted in the Tactics section in due course.

mortus
23-04-2006, 13:01
Looking good Snakebite, Dibs first round game against you?

Snakebite
23-04-2006, 23:03
Looking good Snakebite, Dibs first round game against you?

Thanks, Mortus! I'll see you on the Battlefield!

I actually have picture updates tonight! The basic colours are almost all on the Scout Sergeant now and I'm beginning to tidy him up. The idea of working on two at the same time has also taken a back seat now as I'm concentrating on one at a time. I'd forgotten how much more detail there is to paint on a Scout...

Apologies for the blurring of his weapon. It's a Combi Meltagun, hopefully useful for a little tank busting.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y16/Tularis/ScoutSergeantF.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y16/Tularis/ScoutSergeantB.jpg

I'm happy with the way he's turning out, but I'm not too sure on the Codex Grey on his fatigues. I wanted a dark-ish colour that wouldn't look too busy between the black and the blue. On my Dawn of War scheme, Scouts have the split armour colours and grey fatigues and on them it looks great. Maybe mine are too light, I'm not sure.

If anyone has an opinion on this, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

Snakebite
28-04-2006, 21:55
I'm off on holiday tomorrow so there have been no updates from me recently. I've picked up the Tactical Squad box and will be spending some quiet evenings over the next week converting them up to look special. Updates and pictures aplenty when I get back!

mortus
16-05-2006, 10:31
Started a Army lists for the Carnage over in the Army list section, funny old thing!

Brush your teeth
16-05-2006, 10:48
looking good so far, keep up the good work