PDA

View Full Version : Hellcannon - Misfire Result 6

Gonzoyola
18-06-2011, 00:05
So when you get this misfire result, does it result in a direct hit with Strength 10 on everything under the hole? I played a Warrior player today, who only had the Army Builder sheet, which I've already found to be notorious for short wording descriptive effects like this.

Edit=====

Another question that had come up. Are you allowed to reform in combat from your front, to put an enemy on your flank? i.e. after combat, he knew he was going to get flanked by my Bestigors, so he did a combat reform to put my Gor block with BSB on his flank, forcing me to do a frontal charge with my Bestis

GodlessM
18-06-2011, 00:27
I don't have my book to check, but IIRC if you roll a 6 on the Hellcannon misfire, everything touched is hit at S10, even just the partials, and then it can't shoot again.

On the reform, so as long as he isn't in combat to any other front then it is legal.

Gonzoyola
18-06-2011, 00:53
I don't have my book to check, but IIRC if you roll a 6 on the Hellcannon misfire, everything touched is hit at S10, even just the partials, and then it can't shoot again.

On the reform, so as long as he isn't in combat to any other front then it is legal.

And since the Artillery dice is what is used to misfire, its a direct hit?

TMATK
18-06-2011, 02:45
Never mind, that reform was probably legal. The only issue is models that are in contact must remain in combat after the combat reform. If 5 models are fighting to the front, then there has to be at least 5 fighting to the flank after the reform.

It is a direct hit with the hellcannon.

The bearded one
18-06-2011, 20:01
You can't reform to put something on your flank. I am almost sure it's in the FAQ (otherise in the BRB), but I am 100% that that is the ruling. You can't reform to have an enemy in your flank/rear.

Yrrdead
18-06-2011, 20:06
You can't reform to put something on your flank. I am almost sure it's in the FAQ (otherise in the BRB), but I am 100% that that is the ruling. You can't reform to have an enemy in your flank/rear.

You are not correct. Why would you post that you are a 100% without even looking it up?

You are probably thinking of the FAQ which states something similar but actually the opposite of what you said.

TMATK
18-06-2011, 20:07

You're probably thinking of this:

Change “[...]is one special restriction[...]” to “[...]are two
special restrictions[...]” and change “[...]was made[...]” to
“[...]was made, and the unit may not reform in such a way as
to contact a different facing on any enemy unit it is in contact
with[...]” in the second paragraph.

I had that posted before I edited last night. You can't reform to contact a different facing of the enemy unit. As far as I can tell you can reform to put something on a different facing of your own unit.

The bearded one
18-06-2011, 20:21
I guess I was thinking of that, even though it seems impossible to reform and contact a different facing on an enemy unless you start moving the entire unit around the corner of the enemy unit... If 2 or 3 words were different it'd be what I was thinking of.

nurgle5
20-06-2011, 00:49

Just curious because a similar thing cropped up in a recent game, what happens if the shot scatters and misfires? Does it count as a direct hit on a 6 on the HC misfire chart, despite the scatter?

TMATK
20-06-2011, 01:06
A roll of a 6 is resolved as direct hit, so the scatter is disregarded.

decker_cky
20-06-2011, 02:30
I'm actually not sure the reform would be legal, as you would be removing some of the command models from combat (assuming they were there).

T10
20-06-2011, 06:39
I'm actually not sure the reform would be legal, as you would be removing some of the command models from combat (assuming they were there).

Or rather: assuming that reforming to turn away from the enemy unit is even legal, the presence of command models in the first rank could make it impossible to do so: the combat reform does not allow you to move models out of contact with the enemy, but the command models must go to the unit's front rank if the unit reforms.

Tregar
20-06-2011, 08:07
In other words it is legal so long as there aren't other mitigating circumstances that make it illegal (such as presence of command models). But wouldn't that rule also make it illegal for a 5x5 block with full command charged in the flank to reform to face their flankers in a 5x5 formation, as you'd have to take 3 models out of combat to put the command models in..?

T10
20-06-2011, 09:54
In my opinion, the combat reform restrictions are indicative that the intent is that models involved will attempt to fight to the best of their ability even when the player sees an advantage in having them perform poorly or not at all: Models in base contact can't refuse to strike blows and can't move out of combat (except when rank-and-file make way for characters). It therefore seems odd that the unit would be permitted to expose its flank or rear to an enemy.

-T10

Tregar
20-06-2011, 11:37
I hesitate to gauge intent with these rules, given that in their initial form combat reforms were nearly impossible, save for a few contrived situations (E.g. a 5x5 block. With no command, obviously ;) ).

In the case of turning flanks/rears, it's also a bit off to consider intent. I've only ever seen people reform like this to improve their combat effectiveness, i.e. in case an enemy unit charges what was their old flank, to increase the support attacks going that way. If someone reforms to expose their rears (ooer) then it could be seen as the unit getting ready to run away- and pretty much giving the enemy a "free strike", which seems a staple of many old RPG style games...