PDA

View Full Version : What does Lurtz do in WotR

checkmorale
18-06-2011, 03:23
Sup guys, I used to be big into LotR skirmish, until I had a few hundred bucks worth of stuff stolen. Oh, ouch. :(

While rummaging through some stuff, I fould a Lurtz blister, two or three blisters of metal Uruk-Hai, and two blisters of Uruk-Hai bowmen.

I'm thinking I could pick up a few trays and give WoTR a go. Make a unit of Lurtz and his buddies and give it a spin again.

So the questions is; what does he do, and what's the max size for his unit/company? I'm okay with picking up a few more blisters of his guys (who are now skirmishers?) so this is not the rulebook-raping request you might think it is.

Seriously guys, give me a reason to get back into LotR/WotR

~Check

ForgottenLore
18-06-2011, 04:11
OK, first, yeah, ouch. That sucks.

To answer your question, he kills things really well. He is a pretty solid beater with special abilities designed to help bring down big tough guys.

and what's the max size for his unit/company?
In WotR, Epic Heroes like Lurtz and most of the big names, aren't tied to a specific formation. They have to always exist as part of a formation, but can move around from one to another during the course of the game, so there is no "his unit"

A typical formation of Uruk Hai is probably going to number between 24 to 48 miniatures, some of which may be command elements or Lurtz or other Epic Heroes. I don't have much experience with Isengard armies, but I would expect a 1000 point army (good for a small-medium game) to probably have between 50-100 total miniatures.

If you want to give WotR a try, as opposed to the SBG, you will want to pick up a couple plastic kits, maybe a Saruman (oh, and movement trays and probably the rulebook). Combined with what you already have that would probably be a pretty good core force.

WotR is a really great game for playing mass battles, as opposed to skirmish type games. I found most of the rules very easy to follow, but other people seem to get confused on some areas. If you have any questions, you can usually get an answer pretty quick right here.

Honestly though, as much as I like seeing a new WotR player, based on what you have said, it sounds like the Strategy Battle Game would be a better fit for you right now. With a low model count you might not need any more figs to get started and then you can work your way up to the large, epic battles that make WotR so much fun.

Either way, the LotR games are both loads better games that either Warhammer and well worth playing. Which is just a matter of taste.

Leogun_91
18-06-2011, 14:46
Uruk-hai Scout Warbands (bows or shields) can have one to six companies (one company is 8 models in case you haven't checked the rules out at all), the formation may have a shaman and/or a captain as part of the formation.
Lurtz does not have to be in this formation but from your description this is what I think you meant by his unit.

checkmorale
18-06-2011, 20:26
Uruk-hai Scout Warbands (bows or shields) can have one to six companies (one company is 8 models in case you haven't checked the rules out at all), the formation may have a shaman and/or a captain as part of the formation.
Lurtz does not have to be in this formation but from your description this is what I think you meant by his unit.

Thanks to you both, that's what I'm looking for - just a unit that's clearly "his" like his own personal retinue.

Is it worth taking all six companies of eight guys each?

Would I want to include a shaman?

Would I want to include a Captain?

Can any of the trays have bows?

~Check

ForgottenLore
18-06-2011, 20:48
Is it worth taking all six companies of eight guys each?
Depends on your style of lay and intended strategy. I field 9 companies of goblins, but they are comparatively weak compared to Uruk Hai. Uruks are a pretty solid infantry and so can be run with fewer companies. If they are given shields, I would be comfortable running them with only 3-4 companies, without shields I would probably want 5-6 because they will likely take more casualties.

Would I want to include a shaman?
Probably not, at least not at first. The generic spellcasters, like shamans, in WotR are fairly overpriced compared tot he spellcasting epic heroes. Many people play with house rules that limit Epics though, which makes shamans more appealing, but that is probably a decision that can wait until you have a bit more experience with the game.

Would I want to include a Captain?
Opinion is somewhat divided on captains. On the one hand they can provide relatively inexpensive access to some might and provide a number of advantages to their formation, but they can make you vulnerable to heroic duels from powerful epics.

Can any of the trays have bows?
Most Uruk Hai you can choose to equip with either shields or bows of some sort. All of the companies (trays) in a given formation must be given the same equipment. In general, archer in WotR is not particularly powerful so bow heavy armies are not generally a good idea, however, basic Uruk Hai can be equipped with crossbows, which are a significantly better ranged attack. Still, shooting is likely to be less important than hand to hand combat.

HRM
19-06-2011, 15:08
Honestly though, as much as I like seeing a new WotR player, based on what you have said, it sounds like the Strategy Battle Game would be a better fit for you right now. With a low model count you might not need any more figs to get started and then you can work your way up to the large, epic battles that make WotR so much fun.

Either way, the LotR games are both loads better games that either Warhammer and well worth playing. Which is just a matter of taste.

This is good advice. Be prepared to sink MASSIVE amounts of cash into WOTR, much more so than the SBG. Well, I oughta quantify that - that's IF you're like me and only buy official Gee-Dub minis.

ForgottenLore
20-06-2011, 00:30
This is good advice. Be prepared to sink MASSIVE amounts of cash into WOTR, much more so than the SBG.

Only compared to SBG, which seriously isn't a fair comparison.

Compared to a Warhammer Fantasy army, WotR is likely to be about a third the price, even with nothing but GW figs. If your willing to go with non-GW models it can be SIGNIFICANTLY less than that even (depending on your army).

I figure I have been averaging about $30 a month on WotR since I started playing (1-1.5 years?) and I can put together a 4000-5000 point goblin army and maybe 2000 points of Elves. Compared to my 40K Tau army of about the same point value (I think) that has cost me several thousand dollars over the years. (God, that's depressing, I gotta quit this blasted hobby)

checkmorale
20-06-2011, 00:54
Okay, so lets say four trays for Lurtz's retinue, one of which will be bows

Sound good?

Am I correct in thinking this is like one squad of Space Marines in 40K, or one unit of Empire halberdiers in Fantasy, enough to give me a taste of the game, not anything close to a real game, but enough to join a pick-up game?

~Check

sasheep
21-06-2011, 10:51
Welcome to WoTR, always good to see new players. WoTR imo is by far the best game system GW do, has alot of strategy, balanced rules and pretty unique feeling armies.
Uruks are pretty elite so I wouldn't bother going for all 6 companies at low points instead I would split them into two formations of 3 companies. It just gives you a bit of flexibility. Like other posters have said bows aren't the strongest thing in the game but they can be usefull, just don't rely on them. Every company has to be equiped the same in a single formation btw so you couldn't have 3 with shields and 1 with bows. To start with maybe do 2 companies with bows and 4 with shields (I think that is the ratio they come in the box btw). Shamans are usefull at bigger points (when you start to run out of epic spellcasters) but at lower points I wouldn't bother, just get Saruman instead. Magic can be devastating so I wouldn't advise going magic heavy, just unbalances the game at lower points. Most people I have played against just agree to limit magic at lower levels and only really start to use them in massive games.
I would say 2 boxes of scouts and a troll added to what you have would be a good place to start. After that add Saruman and some fighting uruks and some crossbows and whatever else takes your fancy :)