PDA

View Full Version : Best Lightsaber battle in entire starwars series

AngelofSorrow
01-06-2005, 07:49
I personally think the fight between Obi wan Quigon and Darth Maul just rocked and is the best ever.

What do you guys think?

N'bel
01-06-2005, 08:08
Obi-wan vs Darth Vader in Ep. IV

J/K lol

I'd have to agree with you, that was a damn good fight

Shadowheart
01-06-2005, 08:08
My favourite is the Luke versus Vader duel from Empire Strikes Back. Vader was as cold and methodical in that battle as he had been throughout the movie, slowly wearing young Skywalker down before hitting him with the good old "I am your father" trick.

As far as actual fighting goes the Qui/Obi versus Maul battle is better, it's much faster paced, involves a lot more variety in moves and acrobatics. The double-bladed saber was a good idea too, and Maul was very menacing. But it was just a fight, there was no connection to speak of between the opponents, and Obi's "Nooo!" aside, not a word was spoken.

In both Luke/Vader duels however there was more at stake than just winning the fight, crucial parts of the plot were being resolved. That they don't look as slick actually helps them to an extend. They looks more like real fights where people are trying to kill one another (and stay alive), the TPM battle is too carefully choreographed to get that feel.

New Cult King
01-06-2005, 08:37
I know it's not the best fight, but in Ep III when...

General Grievous drops his cloak and sparks up 4 lightsabers... holy moly! And the way he stalked towards Obi Wan with the blades whirling... that was ultra-cool.

It's a pity we didn't get to see Yoda go ballistic more often. I enjoyed those fights, but the one between him and Palpatine was a bit of a let down...

PBGhost
01-06-2005, 08:54
I agree with New Cult King (on his spoiler). That was just badass.

xerxeshavelock
01-06-2005, 09:38
For me it has to be the fight at the end of Return of the Jedi. Not the most choreographed, but for intensity of emotion it can’t be beaten. You can see the conflict in Luke’s face as palatine slowly strips his defences away, and the sheer energy with which he lashes out sums up the entire story. If only they’d done the last one that well…..(sigh).

Adept
01-06-2005, 09:59
For me it has to be the fight at the end of Return of the Jedi. Not the most choreographed, but for intensity of emotion it can’t be beaten. You can see the conflict in Luke’s face as palatine slowly strips his defences away, and the sheer energy with which he lashes out sums up the entire story. If only they’d done the last one that well…..(sigh).

Ditto that.

In terms of choreography and flashy effects, it's gotta be Darth Maul vs Obi Wan/Qui Gon. But for intensity it has to be Luke vs Vader in RotJ.

I actually really like Vader vs Obi Wan in A New Hope. From memory, it's actually quite realistic, and very reminiscent of Kendo.

Rathgar
01-06-2005, 10:18
Although the Luke/Vader duels hold a special place in my heart. Ep III's Obi/Vader is at the moment my favourite mainly for:

The end were Obi-Wan just cuts Anakin-Vader down as he jumps. Acely abrupt ending and I'm a big fan or the rant Kenobi goes on after that "you were the chosen one…ect"

TheSonOfAbbadon
01-06-2005, 11:06
I like the Yoda vs. Dooku fight.

I just like watching green midgets go *******' loco.

I haven't seen Ep. III yet, btw.

Delicious Soy
01-06-2005, 12:34
Empire Luke vs Vader. So much emotion is running in those scenes. Luke hates him and is overconfident. Vader simply toys with him, outstripping in all ways, playing him until the point where he can turn him to the Darkside. Magnificent.

The Maul fight was good in the choreography sense but the duels in the OT are far superior because they are integral to the story rather than setpieces.

hairyman
01-06-2005, 12:40
It would have to be Vader vs Luke at the end of Jedi, if only for the "Sister....." moment. New films have pretty saber fights, but as has already been said there's no feeling behind them.

Brother Munro
01-06-2005, 12:42
I agree with New Cult King (on his spoiler). That was just badass.

Hehe, he's a lot more killy/cool in the Clone Wars mini-series. Uses his feet in that as well :evilgrin:

Odin
01-06-2005, 13:59
I'd have to echo the majority of people here and say that the best fight was either of the Luke vs Vader ones (Empire probably just wins it). Yes, I love the Darth Maul vs Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan (the only saving grace in Phantom Menace!), and some of the Episode III fights are very impressively choreographed. But I just prefer the more "real" fights from the original trilogy - no computer generated characters doing unnecessary gymnastics, no perfectly planned moves, just real tension and convincing imperfections.

The same goes for the films in general - Episodes I-III are more impressive, but Episodes IV - VI are so much more tense, convincing and entertaining.

Arnizipal
01-06-2005, 14:12
Although the Luke/Vader duels hold a special place in my heart. Ep III's Obi/Vader is at the moment my favourite mainly for:

The end were Obi-Wan just cuts Anakin-Vader down as he jumps. Acely abrupt ending and I'm a big fan or the rant Kenobi goes on after that "you were the chosen one…ect"

That was cool bit, but having watched the l33t Episode III Trailer (http://nuar.lunarpages.com/video/SW_mirrors.htm) ruined it for me.
As Kenobi was talking all I could think of was the subtitles in the trailer:
"Stop TK'ing you ********ing f**"

Which was pretty hilarious and kinda destroyed the drama of that moment. :(

Puffin Magician
01-06-2005, 16:16
I'll say Anakin vs. Obi Wan in Revenge of the Sith, with Luke vs. Vader on the Death Star II in Return of the Jedi taking a very close second. The sheer emotion, ferocity, and epicness of it made the duel on Mustafar great, and the accompanying music was superb. It's probably my favourite scene in the film. Luke vs. Vader is the climactic finale which sees Vader recognize his folly [albeit 25 years too late] and in the end he practically ends the Galactic Civil War by himself.

I cannot agree with those who voted for Obi Wan vs. Grevious, because he was a horribly disappointing villian IMO, and lightsabre duels should have a feeling of honour [of which Grevious has none, the wheezy cyborg coward].

tzeentchgiant
01-06-2005, 16:21
I must say I'm a bit dissapointed if the best lightsaber fight was the one between obi, qui and darth maul. I thought the third instalment of the rubbishing (the prequels) would be better than the ones in the preceding two.

Whilst I agree it was spectacular, I am left anting more.

Nevermind

TG

DisruptorX
01-06-2005, 16:35
It would have to be Vader vs Luke at the end of Jedi, if only for the "Sister....." moment. New films have pretty saber fights, but as has already been said there's no feeling behind them.

I am inclined to agree with this.

Kiro
01-06-2005, 16:40
Hmm, I can't say what my definitive fave fight is, like the majority of people on here I like the duel between Obi and Vader in RotS, the scrap between Qui-Gon, Obi, and Maul in TPM, and the Vader vs. Luke battle in Empire. Can't decide which one wins me over though

alterion
01-06-2005, 16:45
the first one was cooll.. i wanna see yoda given a double bladed saber and let loose though....

DisruptorX
01-06-2005, 16:48
the first one was cooll.. i wanna see yoda given a double bladed saber and let loose though....

No. That is why the new movies are hopelessly inferior when it comes to lightsaber battles, saber overload. In the originals, there were only a few characters with a saber, and it was damn cool. Now they give everyone and their mothers a saber, and make them double bladed ((stupidest concept ever)) and make them dual wield them. The result is that we see way too much of them, and they lose their coolness. Not to mention that they changed the way the special effect is done, and the light sabers do not look as good as they did in the original movies.

Kiro
01-06-2005, 16:55
Not to mention that they changed the way the special effect is done, and the light sabers do not look as good as they did in the original movies.

Why do you say they look better in the original trilogy?

DisruptorX
01-06-2005, 16:59

I can't really explain it, but in the newer movies, it looks too much like a video game special effect. I think what it actually is is the CG making it brighter and clearer.

Brandir
01-06-2005, 17:00
I liked the Darth Maul vrs Qui Gon and Obi Wan. Great and Ewan McGregor looked so young in those days ....

tzeentchgiant
01-06-2005, 17:08
He was so dreamy (sorry I watched back to the future on monday night)

But is the General Grevious fight really that dissapointing, I was getting my hopes up for him to ba a badass.

Also the over use of lightsabers does seem promenant but you can't forget there were more jedi back then than there were in the original, and best, films, so I think they can be accounted for. But then giving them to a robot does seem a bit excessive now that I think about it.

Oh well

TG

Odin
01-06-2005, 17:24
No. That is why the new movies are hopelessly inferior when it comes to lightsaber battles, saber overload. In the originals, there were only a few characters with a saber, and it was damn cool. Now they give everyone and their mothers a saber, and make them double bladed ((stupidest concept ever)) and make them dual wield them. The result is that we see way too much of them, and they lose their coolness. Not to mention that they changed the way the special effect is done, and the light sabers do not look as good as they did in the original movies.

Hmm, I know what you mean, but there were always going to be more saber fights before the Jedi were killed off. I liked the double-ended lightsaber personally, and Dooku's rapier-style one, cos it gave them a bit more individuality. I think the main problem is that in the new films there is not very much of the cerebral, measured approach to duelling, more just a blur of lightning fast morris dancing.

And however good the CGI is, you can still spot it. Instead of getting into a fight, you just think - "oh, those special effects are very good, almost believable".

Brandir
01-06-2005, 17:37
I'm going to change my mind about the best Light Sabre duel.

It is the duel between the Jedi and Grievous in Star Wars: Clone Wars. Superb!

Surrounded in a crashed spaceship hulk by Super Battle Droids, Grevious stops the advance to duel with one Master, four Jedi and one Padawan.

Zechs
01-06-2005, 17:45
Although not in the series, I think the best saber duel is in the Ho brothers fanfilm, the Art of the Saber.

TheSonOfAbbadon
01-06-2005, 17:50
Now that I think of it, I liked the lightsaber battle in 'Store Wars' the best.

EffCee
01-06-2005, 18:04
The Vader/Luke Duel at the end of ROTJ because it was so much more than just a lightsaber duel. Anakin vs. Obi-Wan was technically brilliant, but lacked the raw emotion of that particular fight. On a seperate note, a work colleague of mine recently admitted that for 28 years she has thought that they were called 'life savers'. :rolleyes:

Inquisitor Engel
01-06-2005, 18:52

Considering he refuses to even SEE Episode III, he has a point. There's a definite difference, but not one that I would say they look better. His complaint that it looks more like a video game effect is more a complaint on the video-game industry's constant quest to look like the movies (And watching the E3 footage, I might be inclined to agree that's they're pretty close to succeeding) than it is a complaint about any movie itself.

But that's all besides the point.

I really, really really liked the fight between Anakin and Obi-Wan. It was fantastic. Amazing. You can't beat the intensity of that fight, I think even Luke VS Vader doesn't come that close. Luke still has some distance from Vader, he knows he's his father, but it seems like most of his decisions are made to firm up the fact that he knows and he's better than Vader and the Emperor, rather than genuinely heart-felt.

But that might just be me.

Luke VS Vader in Empire is just fantastic, the lighting is awesome. The mood, everything. It's all great.

I think the fight between Palpatine and the Emperor though... Phew, that was awesome.

Brandir
01-06-2005, 18:59
... I think the fight between Palpatine and the Emperor though... Phew, that was awesome.

Don't you mean the Emperor vrs Yoda or the Emperor vrs Mace?

Kiro
01-06-2005, 19:10
Surrounded in a crashed spaceship hulk by Super Battle Droids, Grevious stops the advance to duel with one Master, four Jedi and one Padawan.

Actually, that would be two masters :D

Kargos Bloodspit
01-06-2005, 19:15
On the topic of lightsabre battles. Anyone feel they were close to an epiletic fit with the lightsabre battles in Episode 3? The fact that they had the lightsabres flashing right across the ENTIRITY of the screen, instead of a small section of it meant that it was a continual flashing of white and black.

The boyz
01-06-2005, 19:17
Luke VS Vader in Empire is just fantastic, the lighting is awesome. The mood, everything. It's all great.

Yeah thats probably my favourite Light Sabre duel aswell.

Brandir
01-06-2005, 19:19
Actually, that would be two masters :D

Two? I though that the conehead was the only master there?

Kargos Bloodspit
01-06-2005, 19:30
Two? I though that the conehead was the only master there?

You're forgetting Shaak-ti. I'm pretty sure she's a master.

Brandir
01-06-2005, 19:36
Are you sure she is not a Mistress?

Kiro
01-06-2005, 19:53
Kargos is right, along with Ki-Adi-Mundi, the other master is Shaak-Ti

The Judge
01-06-2005, 19:59
Return of the Jedi Luke versus Vader. Especially when vader finds out about his sister...raises the hairs on the back of my head every time.

Bmaxwell
01-06-2005, 20:42
now that i've seen all movies the rotj with luke and vadar means so much more and so does the empiers luke and vadars fight but favorite has to be rots with obi and luke so amazeing it felt so real

Antaeus
01-06-2005, 20:53
I'd say my overall favourite is the end of Vader Vs Luke in RotJ, when Luke gives in to his anger: the very end of it where he's slamming his lightsabre down on Vader again and again is amazing.

In terms of quality of fighting...it's a toughie, but I'm a fan of the Obi and Qui-Gon Vs Darth Maul one in EpI. The ithers are excellent, but the camera work doesn't quite do it for me: as Kargos says, you're too close to the sabres to see what's going on a lot of the time in EpII and III.

Crapula
01-06-2005, 20:58
Best lightsaber fight = toss up between

Yoda vs. Palpatine

Obiwan Kenobi vs. Anakin Skywalker

PBGhost
01-06-2005, 21:24
I cannot agree with those who voted for Obi Wan vs. Grevious, because he was a horribly disappointing villian IMO, and lightsabre duels should have a feeling of honour [of which Grevious has none, the wheezy cyborg coward].

Oh yes, Grevious is very poor as a character. I hated him. But in the brief 30 seconds or so of the fight beginning, I was amazed by his methodical style of fighting--like a robot. That was broken when he scuttled away into his gyrocar wheel however. :rolleyes:

Kohhna
02-06-2005, 02:03
Maybe not the best but one of my favourites was the battle between Christopher Lee and Yoda at the end of AOTC, which is probably the only bit of that film that hasn't been violently suppressed by my subconcious like some terrible abuse memory. That and Renton Vs Jake the Muz.

AngelofSorrow
02-06-2005, 07:33
Man alot of you guys really harp on the prequels i loved all 3 of them even Jar Jar wasnt that bad could have been better though. I found alot of intensity in QG/OW & DM. The first jedi to battle the recently rediscovered Sith. Especially at the end when Maul killed qui gonn. i love the idea of the saber staff i thought it was brilliant and made the fight special.
I love the more acrobatic style of fighting seen in the Prequels its more true to the Jedi fighting style of that time. the fighting in the trilogies was not as refined cause luke really never fought saber to saber combat against other opponents. And im sure Vader hadnt even turned on his saber in a very long time lol.

Eldacar
02-06-2005, 08:53
Man alot of you guys really harp on the prequels
It's because they think the older ones were better. Although when you think about it, the older ones had a lot of crappy dialogue in them as well (ROTJ Ewok village scene between Luke and Leia, as an example). Although I don't think Phantom Menace was that good, AOTC was all right, and RotS was excellent, in my opinion.

As to the best saber fight, I think the best one was between Anakin and Obiwan at the end of RotS. The Vader vs. Luke battles in Empire Strikes Back and ROTJ come in at second place for me.

hairyman
02-06-2005, 09:46
It's because they think the older ones were better.

Empire is clearly the best of the six films.

The prequels have all the CGI in the world, but they're not films... they're "events". Special effects, hype, Hollywood and Lucas have turned them into pretty things to look at, rather than the well directed and (mostly) well acted piece of brilliance that ESB is.

The original three films also had a better cast.... especially Alec Guinness and Harrison Ford.

Finally, on topic, the original three films had the best saber fights.... for the reasons already expressed here in other posts. The fights look like duels, not daft X-Box games. They have ten times more dramatic intensity to them.. ten times more feeling. IMO even the Anakin Obi-Wan duel was spoiled by the heaping on of special effect after special effect (some of that leaping about on the fire pit bit was just silly and distracting)... it lacked the simplicity and intensity of the earlier fights (apart from the end scence).

Eldacar
02-06-2005, 10:42
See what I mean? Movie critics, one and all. :rolleyes:

Clearly the best to you, but I think RotS is the best. I know Empire Strikes Back was good. But MY opinion is that RotS is better than Empire.

Ass Goblin
02-06-2005, 11:07
My person favorite Lightsaber battle is Anakin vs Obi Wan from Episode III. Second is the 'Art of the Saber' fan film. Best darn fanfilm ever.

Eldacar
02-06-2005, 11:30
Can someone show me a link to the fanfilm, or do I have to get it by a means that doesn't involve the internet? I don't think I've ever actually seen it, funnily enough.

Delicious Soy
02-06-2005, 12:52
See what I mean? Movie critics, one and all. :rolleyes:

Clearly the best to you, but I think RotS is the best. I know Empire Strikes Back was good. But MY opinion is that RotS is better than Empire.Well then explain in detail why you like it, it seems that everyone (self included) who presents a critque of the prequels does a far more thorough job then those who do. I would really love a detailed arguement as to why the prequels beat the OT.

I think the best duel in the prequels was definitely the Dooku vs Obi-wan, Anakin and Yoda, simply because it at least tried to convey the sense of long held malice "Fought well you have, my old padawan." One of my favourite lines in AOTC (the rest belong to McGregor)

Eldacar
02-06-2005, 14:44
I didn't say all the prequels beat the OT. Phantom Menace certainly didn't. Attack of the Clones was saved at the end by the Yoda/Dooku/Anakin/Obiwan fight. And by the tiger in the sacrificial arena.

The reason I said "movie critics, one and all" was as a joke. I just threw off the comment that a lot of people here prefer the older series (which they do), and then someone had to jump in and reply to it.

DisruptorX
02-06-2005, 15:48
I do not think any of them beat the battle at the end of Jedi. When Luke gives into his anger, you can really feel it, the scene conveys emotion in a way that no other battle in the series does.

I should point out that Return of the Jedi isn't even my favourite Star Wars movie, but as far as battles go, I do not think many movies of any kind can compete with the duel between Luke and Vader at the end of the movie.

neXus6
02-06-2005, 23:50
I have to agree, the Luke Vader one is the best overall.

The Obi Quigon Maul is certainly the best technical fight of the lot.

Obi - Grevious sucked...simply cause the ruin that was Grevious' movie character didn't let it be good. The Grevious fights from Clone Wars are brilliant if only it had been a movie vertion of one of those. Yes the spinning thing was good, but the ease with which Obi disarmed him just ruined it, and then the climax if you can call it just totaly destroyed the whole fight.

Warlord Gnashgrod
03-06-2005, 07:23
My favorite was the total battle(not just the lightsaber part) between Emperor Palpatine and Yoda in Revenge of The Sith. It had a lot of action in it, and through it we finally get to see the full extent of the Emperor's power.

Grumnir
03-06-2005, 07:51
Pffft Starwars kid has to win this one ;)

IAMPHONE
03-06-2005, 10:11
Lol, yeah, Star Wars kid, Can't remember where I saw that, but it was pretty damn good.

Anyways, I know what a lot of people are saying about the Luke vs Vader fight, and it is really good. But I liked the Anakin (actually He's Darth Vader by then) vs Obi Wan at the end of the EP3. I thought the emotional contents was up there with Luke vs Vader. Obi wans fighting after just having everything he believed being destroyed by his apprentice and brother. Anakins fighting after realizing he's just about lost the on he loves. I loved the fight, not to mention that it was the one scene has been built up to since AOTC.

EffCee
03-06-2005, 11:08
On a reputable star wars website someone has put the Battle of Heroes theme over the OT obi wan vader fight. It really improves it.

The boyz
03-06-2005, 12:13
I also like the Light Sabre duel between Count Dukoo(sp) and Yoda that is a classic. :D

Eldacar
03-06-2005, 13:09
On a reputable star wars website someone has put the Battle of Heroes theme over the OT obi wan vader fight. It really improves it.
Mind linking to it? Sounds interesting.

Zechs
03-06-2005, 14:34
Here is a link to some Star Wars fanfilms: http://www.theforce.net/fanfilms/

Art of the Saber is fantastic, and I also enjoyed watching Troops, it's very funny.

EffCee
03-06-2005, 17:52
Here's the link http://boards.theforce.net/Revenge_of_the_Sith_/b10331/19687986/?150

The pestilent 1
05-06-2005, 02:30
Here's the link http://boards.theforce.net/Revenge_of_the_Sith_/b10331/19687986/?150

sweet mother :cries:
beutiful!

Eldacar
05-06-2005, 05:46
A very nice duel. Adding the music made it run on perfectly from the last battle in RotS.

tzeentchgiant
05-06-2005, 12:26
I like that duel, even though I fel Vader is far to static, but anything with alec Guiness in it just shines in my star wars memory.

I think the thing that separates that from the other duels is the style and character that Vader and old obi bring to the screen.

Not the best, but a great duel.

TG

Wiseman
05-06-2005, 14:46
luke v vader empire strikes back, just for the emotion and intensity in it

Emperor's Light
05-06-2005, 20:34
In terms of fight choreography I vote for Obi-wan & Qui-Gon vs. Darth Maul. I think that fight really benefited from Ray Park, who's a stunt man trained in wu shiu, play the role of Darth Maul. It was also less CGI heavy than almost all of the other prequel lightsaber duels. The ones involving Count Dooku are especially notceable CGI (since Christopher Lee, being over 70 years old, has a somewhat limited range of movement.)

Forgotmytea
06-06-2005, 13:18
The good ol' classic Luke v Darth Vader with the Emperor forming a one-man audience and judge from episode VI! :D Although I must admit the Dooku v Anakin, Maul v Obi wan and Qui gon and Ben Kenobi v Darth Vader (Episode IV) were amazing as well. But, personnaly I like Episodes IV, V and VI best, and the final battle really epitomises the original Star Wars for me :chrome: