PDA

View Full Version : Size of a unit of Ushabti

StefDa
20-06-2011, 13:29
So I helped myself to a box of Finecast Ushabti, and I must say they areabsolutely gorgeous. No bubbles whatsoever, details crisp and clean, they're perfect.

Now, I want to use these no matter the cost. I have four metal ones and three resin ones, totalling seven. I know I will use at least six in a 3x2 formation.

The question is - is it a good idea to add the seventh I have available? If yes, where should he go - in the back, excluding him from fighting but letting the +1 Rank Bonus last a little longer, or in the front, adding one model's worth of attacks but endangering the aforementioned rank bonus?

Also, I guess I will add a full command group as it's rather cheap... The +1 for the banner is nice and +1 attack from the champion is alright, I guess. The gods know the Ushabti need to cramp as many attacks into their relatively small and handy footprint as possible.

Would you attach a character? I guess a Prince or a Necrotect (though often shortlived) would be nice. Maybe both?

I will definately keep a Tomb Herald close. Maybe even give the Tomb Herald the Banner of the Undying Legion and throw him in the Ushabti unit, granting them a lot of resilience.

The thing is, all of the above is well and nice, but if this is hugely ineffective I will have to just run them barebones.

Anyway, in an army that *has* to have 6-7 Ushabti, and that also includes at least a big block of Skeletons, a lot of archers, at least one Warsphinx, either a Casket or a Hierotitan (or both) and a block of 25-30 Tomb Guards, what would you do?

EDIT: Obviously the last poll option should read "7 Ushabti with great weapons, full command group"!

russellmoo
20-06-2011, 13:47
7 because they have great weapons- it is very likely that you will lose at least one model before they get to strike, 7 will help ensure a full hitting potential.

Okuto
20-06-2011, 14:00
six to me is fine, no command......don't see why 7 is needed....

StefDa
20-06-2011, 14:19
The reason behind 7 is that if you place them in a 3-3-1 formation the unit has a +1 rank bonus until the rear rank (one model) and one model from the middle rank is gone, then it loses the +1 rank bonus. If you place them 4-3 you get three additional attacks but as soon as the unit takes its 3rd wound the rank bonus is lost. I hope you see the conumdrum now.

That said, I'm not arguing for or against seven models over six models, I'm lookin for your experiences!

decker_cky
20-06-2011, 16:20
No reason to ever not take command on Ushabti. They're so cheap for monstrous infantry (others tend to pay 50 pts where Ushabti pay 30). The banner is the important one for death or glory games, but musician for swift reforms is big too.

I'd go as far as saying to take 8-9 of them (4 wide) with full command. With the poll, 7 with full command is my vote, but a few extra bodies would definitely be solid.

Pulstar
20-06-2011, 17:11
I'd buy another box...run 10 (FC and 5x2) and then run with a big block of HW/Sh skel with Necrotect right next to them.

Use the ward spell and Pha's from Lore of Light to keep them up until you can get them into combat.

I'd leave the TG home in this list. But I would try and get a War Sphinx or two to run with them.

decker_cky
20-06-2011, 17:22
Careful with lists like that - unstable means that the skeletons often increase the damage caused to Ushabti. Spynx's are the units that suffer the most from this, so need to be in combat with other tough units.

Aluinn
21-06-2011, 12:35
No reason to ever not take command on Ushabti. They're so cheap for monstrous infantry (others tend to pay 50 pts where Ushabti pay 30). The banner is the important one for death or glory games, but musician for swift reforms is big too.

I'd go as far as saying to take 8-9 of them (4 wide) with full command. With the poll, 7 with full command is my vote, but a few extra bodies would definitely be solid.

I think the reason not to take command is that there are no models for it, and it's difficult to convert even with them being resin now. I know I personally am not confident enough with greenstuff to attempt a musician Ushabti model, though at least there's the option of making a back-banner for the standard.

EDIT: On the size, I don't think seven is really necessary. There are times that it may preserve rank bonus, but then again some units can kill two Ushabti--then you should make it eight, but some units could kill three Ushabti ... and so on. Sure, more is always better, but seven is not some magical solution to taking casualties, and the same logic would say you should take eight rather than seven, etc. ad infinitum.

Though I will say that eight is actually something I'd consider because it allows two full ranks of four, and I'd also consider ten for the same reason. Seven just seems completely oddball, and I'd stick to even numbers so all can be in combat in the event that none of them die, and stomps are maximized after consideration of ranks.