PDA

View Full Version : Revenue Sharing?

Hrw-Amen
22-06-2011, 17:58
Does anyone know anything about Revenue Sharing with regards to Youtube? I have had an e-mail from them about adding one of my videos to the scheme. Now I'm probably not going to do it as I expect it is more trouble than it is worth, for the little I'd get (If any.) to sort it out with the tax man.

But it also says that you cannot use copyright material.

So if you have built a model kit from GW and painted it, animated it etc, does this count as your own creation, or is it still from a video point of view a GW thing and as such would they become displeased and start sending you threatening letters if you did this?

Note: I really am not going to do it, I just wondered as it came up.

rodmillard
22-06-2011, 20:02
So if you have built a model kit from GW and painted it, animated it etc, does this count as your own creation, or is it still from a video point of view a GW thing and as such would they become displeased and start sending you threatening letters if you did this?

Note: I really am not going to do it, I just wondered as it came up.

Yes, and Yes.

Under UK copyright law, you would own the copyright of the "permitted adaptation" of the model (ie, once you have assembled and/or converted and/or painted it, the copyright belongs to you not GW - the more unique your conversions/paint scheme are, the more defensible that copyright is). Technically, GW's copyright only applies to the original components they sell, so apart from single piece metal/finecast models, the moment you assemble it the rights become yours.

They would still get displeased and start sending you threatening letters, working on the assumption that it is easier for you to quit than fight it out in court.

paddyalexander
22-06-2011, 20:06
Also youtube don't check the validity of a complaining letters claim, they just pull the video. There have been example of videos being pulled dispite being protected by parody laws or jouralistic laws.