PDA

View Full Version : Applying to GW Product Design team, advice...?

mallymoocow
26-06-2011, 14:08
Hi all,

So I'm having a shot at the product design post at GW hq.

Been updating my portfolio today, anyone have advice on what I should present to them?

I've put on my uni course work, including drawings, cad work, n photos of prototypes, what other things do you think they'll be looking out for?

Cheers

Mal

Inquisitor Kallus
26-06-2011, 15:35
Your passion for the hobby,....which is a huge thing

Edit: oh, and good luck!

ModelCalamity
26-06-2011, 17:06
Yes don't ask for advice here :)

Not because of the people here mind you. But because of the view GW has on the forums here.

Come in from your own strengths
Good luck

Edit: the thing is it would be like joining a human rights rally just before joining up with with the communist party in China. It might be morally right, but it wouldn't help you get the job.....

Korraz
26-06-2011, 20:58
You also should put great value into the opportunity to work for Games Workshop. 'Cause you ain't gonna get paid well.

crixsus
26-06-2011, 21:07
best of luck, it's a great start! let us know if you've been successfull

koran
26-06-2011, 22:31
I would say possibly even more than the passion of the hobby would be a good knowledge of the background and clarity of how you think that translates to the world of warhammer and 40k universe.

Good luck as well.

MarcoSkoll
27-06-2011, 02:04
Don't have any ideas about "Changing the company for the better". If they're hiring you, they're not hiring you for your thoughts on how the company should be run.

On a similar note, that also means if you get the job, you're going to have to accept the company's direction for better or worse.
And personally, while I love the hobby and would gleefully spend endless hours doing it to get a paycheque - I don't think I could bring myself to work for GW, mostly because the management are immoral idiots with their heads up their own backsides making some decisions in the running of the company that I find myself unwilling to condone.

So, if you are going to apply, be sure that GW is a company you're willing to work for.

Anarnaxe
27-06-2011, 02:14
If you really want the job, slip a £20 note in the portfolio when you send it in.

Should help :angel:

selfconstrukt
27-06-2011, 05:37
Record everything. Evey meeting, every conversation with managers, forward all e-mails to another e-mail address so you have records. Keep notes in a notebook if you have to.

Record everything. Some of the other managers/supervisors will use it against you (when they eventually feel you are a hindrance to them) so you might as well arm yourself from the start.

Hendarion
27-06-2011, 07:26
Applying to GW Product Design team, advice...?
My advise? Don't apply. Latest sources speak very badly about how the upper managers think about people who like the hobby. You have to like the company and not the hobby actually - dig deep in some lower areas.

blongbling
27-06-2011, 07:39
Yes don't ask for advice here :)

Not because of the people here mind you. But because of the view GW has on the forums here.

Come in from your own strengths
Good luck

Edit: the thing is it would be like joining a human rights rally just before joining up with with the communist party in China. It might be morally right, but it wouldn't help you get the job.....

Actually that is very poor advice as I recruited dozens of staff to work at GW so would say that, from my own view, I am very qualified to tell you what it takes to work at GW HQ

blongbling
27-06-2011, 07:46
Hi all,

So I'm having a shot at the product design post at GW hq.

Been updating my portfolio today, anyone have advice on what I should present to them?

I've put on my uni course work, including drawings, cad work, n photos of prototypes, what other things do you think they'll be looking out for?

Cheers

Mal

I did write loads of stuff here but I felt that it wasn't appropriate so the only advice I would give you is to be yourself, and this is from a career point of view.

If you come across in the interview as someone who they feel will fit the culture but you have faked it then when you actually do get to work for GW then you will not enjoy the environment or the people and you will end up leaving/being asked to leave

ModelCalamity
27-06-2011, 11:47
Actually that is very poor advice as I recruited dozens of staff to work at GW so would say that, from my own view, I am very qualified to tell you what it takes to work at GW HQ

I mentioned that is not because of the people here but rather of the people in GW

My point was along your second post

ArtificerArmour
27-06-2011, 12:09
Try and get across that you have other interests apart from gw. One thing you need is an eye for real world design.

All the successful products have an element of real world in them. Show you have a good eye and appreciation of other things around games workshop, and you'll have podentioal to go far.

Inquisitor Kallus
27-06-2011, 12:22
And, if you're thinking about jumping up on the table as you walk into the office whilst wearing a bright red cape then grabbing the interviewer by the collar and asking,

"Gee wilickers Batman, whats the quickest way to Narnia?"

Before shouting,

"Optimus, Optimus Prime! We've ne seen nothing like it before Cap'ain, now hoist the main sails.These guys really don't give up. Full speed ahead Ramirez and make it snappy. Why won't these guys exploderize?!"

as you hurl bannanas in peoples general direction, I would highly recommend that you don't. Been there.....

Renzokuken
28-06-2011, 18:10
Record everything. Evey meeting, every conversation with managers, forward all e-mails to another e-mail address so you have records. Keep notes in a notebook if you have to.

Record everything. Some of the other managers/supervisors will use it against you (when they eventually feel you are a hindrance to them) so you might as well arm yourself from the start.

Pretty much the advice I would have given, save everything, keep backups of your backups. Make notes, but don't make it obvious or they'll feel threatened and find some way to fire you. Usually using the "not a good fit" excuse, bare in mind you're applying for the only company ever that doesn't appreciate and/or value differences in personality. Your either a full on GW-asskisser who believes the company can do no wrong, or your out the door on your backside.

Lowmans
28-06-2011, 18:22
Firstly, good luck.

What do they want!? I'd guess somebody who can slightly spin their imagery in avway that will keep it fresh without betraying the setting.

Advice for you:
Be positive. Be honest in your application and at interview. Have a realistic idea of the salary you need.
If you get an interview, enjoy yourself.

Llew
28-06-2011, 19:16
Be yourself. Have realistic goals out of working there. Realize that you're being hired for a task, not to change the world.

And remember that working for GW gives you the experience you need to work for fun and exciting gaming companies! ;)

I poke fun, but honestly, if you want to work there and know what you're in for, I'm sure you could have a blast doing it. But you have to be dedicated to what *they* want to do. You can drive yourself insane trying to make a workplace conform to your goals, or trying to fake your way into a job that you thought would be cool.

Tavendale
29-06-2011, 13:08
A little off-topic, but can anyone offer a little advice for the trainee management posts? I've got a phone interview coming up and really don't know what to expect.

e2055261
29-06-2011, 13:17
Don't mention warseer whatever you do!

To be honest, who knows what goes on in their heads - perhaps the Chaos Gods are real afterall - don't take ought lightly...

Good luck comrade!

Korraz
29-06-2011, 15:28
Don't mention warseer whatever you do!

Actually, don't mention the internet.
Better yet: You claim that you don't even know what internet is and the only publications you read are WD, GW Books and Black Library.

Inquisitor Kallus
29-06-2011, 15:30
don't lie......

Tokamak
29-06-2011, 15:35
Practice is in the mirror “finecast, finecast, finecast...“ to limit the chances of saying 'failcast' during the interview.

blongbling
29-06-2011, 16:45
A little off-topic, but can anyone offer a little advice for the trainee management posts? I've got a phone interview coming up and really don't know what to expect.

Just be yourself but remember to not be too frothing mad but equally not too business like

mallymoocow
29-06-2011, 23:53
all very gd comments :p

cheers all

Gir
30-06-2011, 01:55
Practice is in the mirror “finecast, finecast, finecast...“ to limit the chances of saying 'failcast' during the interview.

He's clearly not 12, so that shouldn't be a problem :)

Tavendale
30-06-2011, 07:30
He's clearly not 12, so that shouldn't be a problem :)

Plus, price aside and understanding that the technical hiccups will be ironed out, I quite like Finecast.

Nazguire
30-06-2011, 09:13
Hey blongbling, you mentioned that you used to hire for GW. Could you elaborate on your experiences recruiting for them? Any guidelines you were issued with recruitment, what you wanted to see most in potential employees, etc?

IJW
30-06-2011, 09:33
bare in mind you're applying for the only company ever that doesn't appreciate and/or value differences in personality.

If only. :rolleyes:

blongbling
30-06-2011, 10:50
Hey blongbling, you mentioned that you used to hire for GW. Could you elaborate on your experiences recruiting for them? Any guidelines you were issued with recruitment, what you wanted to see most in potential employees, etc?

The thing that is recruited for is fit to the company, skills are important but all things being equal having the right "feel" to them is the most important thing.

The "feel" is then dependant on who is recruiting you. Ultimately GW looks for a fit based around its core three principle "Honesty, courage and humility"; this is where it becomes subjective in terms of fit though as each person has a different view on what those three words mean and how "important" they are. I have met people at GW who consider it gospel but then don't really understand the meaning behind the words, but only consider the words.

So, in one sentence, you need to portray the right fit.

samiens
30-06-2011, 19:56
As an HR professional I thought about suggesting a lot of tricks here- but really there's only one thing you need to do:

Be honest and be yourself.

Why? Because if you don't have the skills to do the job you won't get the job whatever you say or do. So let's assume that you do have the skills- the key then is organisational and job 'fit.' You have to be the kind of person who is suited to the way the company works; and the job has to suit your skills and preferences.

The whole point of recruitment and selection is to align people, roles and organisations- the process isn't designed to catch you out- its designed to create the best relationship. If you are honest and open about who you are- and if you are right for the job- and you get it then you will be successful, both in selectiona nd the job.

Trust me when I say that there's nothing worse than using 'tricks' to get a job you then find you are utterly unsuited to.

Oh...and remember that GW is a big successful company, not the ready to crash mess the internet depicts at times (to avoid the flame war- yes I'm sure it could be doing better, long term strategy blah...). I say this becuase if you go in with an obvious preconception of the organisation that isn't borne out you will have shot yourself in the foot there and then

Batwings
30-06-2011, 21:19
Ultimately GW looks for a fit based around its core three principle "Honesty, courage and humility"

Not in the Design Studio, it doesn't!

;)

2ndCompanyVeterans
30-06-2011, 21:58
Just read Blingblongs statement it's bang on the money

blongbling
01-07-2011, 12:07
Ultimately GW looks for a fit based around its core three principle "Honesty, courage and humility"

Not in the Design Studio, it doesn't!

;)

it is company wide, and having worked in the design studio studio it is there too, but there are different levels that it is anticipated that people will conform to it. The design studio is quite full of egos who don't exactly embody it but if you don't have it you wont get in the door in first place

Griefbringer
01-07-2011, 12:34

Do these principles also apply to the marketing and sales departments? :confused:

blongbling
01-07-2011, 15:33
Do these principles also apply to the marketing and sales departments? :confused:

Yeah, why are you confused?

MarcoSkoll
02-07-2011, 04:03
Yeah, why are you confused?
Looking at Finecast alone:

Honesty: Quite a few staff have been convincing players to "just fix" models that should really go back. Also, I've heard that some staff are considerably overstating the risks of other resins (sometimes to the point of claiming Finecast is the only safe resin out there).

Courage: Well, I have to give them credit here. Regardless of what you think of Finecast, such a huge change to their product was a very brave move.

Humility: Comparing Finecast to the moon landing. Very humble. </sarcasm>