PDA

View Full Version : GD Valhallan diorama

Pages : [1] 2 3

Guilliman
26-06-2011, 19:50
People following my Truescale log (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=278139) already know I've taken a break from it to work on my Golden Demon entry. Although I've only got three months to finish it I hope this log might help me a bit on the way.

The plan is to have a couple of valhallans warming themselves by a fire in a trench. I've always liked valhallans, but due to the available poses and the hero scale on all of them I've decided to sculpt all the models myself. After collecting several references from both models and real life photos I started sculpting one of the models last night. My sculpting is a bit rusty so I might redo some details later in the process but I'm pretty happy with the result so far. Only the boots and the right side of the greatcoat is finished. I'll cut away most of the right side and finish it next time. Don't be fooled by the tiny torso, he's not going to look like a high elf when finished. ;)

I also finished the oil drum they'll have their fire in. After several hours of trying to bend plastic card by several means and then giving it a try to sculpt details on I had a revelation and sacrificed my almost empty tube of mustard.

Jo-Jo
26-06-2011, 20:21
Looks good so far. Will they be happy and singing making the most of the short lifespan of a guardsman, or sad and sober?

Guilliman
26-06-2011, 20:42
I'd say sad and sober. Want to create a rather miserable scene; cold and dark, only enlightened by the small fire keeping them (not very) warm. This will be my first proper OSL paintjob so I've got one hell of a challenge in front of me.

I'd like to show you more soon but I'm going away to a music festival for a week. But when I'm back I'll get to work as soon as I can. My guess is I have to have the sculpting finished by the end of July to have any chance of finishing in time.

synapse
26-06-2011, 21:34
yeah, sad, sober and wet... sounds right to me :)

interesting to see theyre going to be scratchbuilt - faces and all?

Guilliman
26-06-2011, 21:39
yeah, sad, sober and wet... sounds right to me :)

interesting to see theyre going to be scratchbuilt - faces and all?

No I've actually ordered the heads and weapons. I'd be happy to suceed in sculpting a good face, but to get the right expression on the face as well would be to hard. I only do the sculpting in the lack of models so I'll use as many fitting available parts as possible.

icecream boy
28-06-2011, 00:12
How did you do the oil drum so accurately?

Guilliman
06-07-2011, 23:00
I'm back with a small update. Did the rest of the lower coat today. There's some things I'll tidy up tomorrow on both the new and old part. But after I've done the torso. :D

How did you do the oil drum so accurately?

As I said, get some metal from a tin tube. Make sure it's flat. I used my rolling pin. Cut out (with scissors) a strip at the desired height. I then marked where I wanted the rings with two lines and bent the foil in a 90 degrees angle. To hold it firm I pressed mine between two metal rulers and carefully bent it with my fingers. Then carefully flatten the fold against a table with your finger (fold pointing upwards), the fold will then look like the ones on my oil drum. Then simply roll the strip around a pen. If it reaches around more than one lap, just cut it where necessary.

Before the rolling I also made a tiny fold at the bottom towards the inside. It's to give my plastic card bottom something to rest on and to give the drum a nice rounded corner.

zis
07-07-2011, 00:28
Great as always.
And don´t forget to come the 23/7 12:00 and paint whit us.
I posted the date in nos forum but if you missed it.

icecream boy
07-07-2011, 13:22
Not a bad idea, I must give it a go some time =)

The Laughing God
07-07-2011, 18:03
Looking forward to seeing how this turns out. Keep up the good work.

Guilliman
07-07-2011, 22:49
Quick update. I tried to do the torso, but like when I did the lower coat I only managed to finish half of it on the first try. I'll have to do the chest tomorrow. :D

I also remade the forehead on the head (cadian commander). This bit is insanely small! It must have been skulpted in a computer or with a bigger original. I had to take pictures with my camera and zoom in to see where I could improve. :p

The pic is in B&W to better show how the GS fits with the rest of the face. He is supposed to be talking to the man next to him. I was first thinking about doing something about the mouth as well but I think this will work. I'm afraid to mess it up. I hope the paintjob will probably improve this a bit instead.

Jo-Jo
07-07-2011, 22:59
This bit is insanely small! It must have been skulpted in a computer or with a bigger original.

GW has used computer models for alot more plastic minitures recently. Plus they do use three-up when skulpting which is basically three times the size of what you get. Don't mean to patronise you if you know this already.

Look forward to seeing this at GD.

Guilliman
08-07-2011, 20:27
I did know that Jo-Jo, but no offence taken. :)

Got a little update for you before I spend the weekend with my girlfriend. Next time will be really exciting as I'll get to work more on the details and the poses of the arms. It's also something I'm more confident in; I'm used to skulpt new details on existing models and now it feels like I've got one to work from. It's really been a challenge this far. I've probably got ten models by me all the time to as references to get all the proportions right. Together with tons of photos of russians and me posing in the largest coat I could find at my parents' place.:p

Anyway, on to the pics:

imm0rtal reaper
08-07-2011, 20:51
Wow, great work so far. Really looking forward to more!

Kyrios
08-07-2011, 21:04
I had to double-check the GW homepage. They really do have huge collars! Looks really nice, as expected :)

Guilliman
11-07-2011, 14:17
Thanks guys! :D

Got an update for you. I wasn't sure how to d it first, but I think I finally managed to get it in the right place. I know I haven't given his pose away yet, but I think I'll do his left arm when the GS has cured in a couple of hours.

imm0rtal reaper
11-07-2011, 14:19
Wow that lasgun looks massive on him!

Guilliman
11-07-2011, 14:34
Wow that lasgun looks massive on him!

That's partly because of the closeup but mainly because of the hero scale weapons made by GW. You should see a cadian lasgun next to him!

castellanash
11-07-2011, 14:39
Guilliman I once again have that bit of hate for you and your amazing talents :P I love it! Looks like you should be going for a new job ;)

Guilliman
11-07-2011, 22:01
We always talk about "killing your darlings" in my illustration education. I always knew I shouldn't have spent so much time sculpting the torso, Kyrios even told me so last week. But I guess it was good practice. As you can see the I've only got the fold of the sleeve end to sculpt left. I think I'll retouch the creases then as well.

As always, thanks for the flattering comments. :)

Colonel Gordon
12-07-2011, 07:28
Really impressive work!
Amazing !:D

tancrede
12-07-2011, 10:35
If you are as good with GI as you are with your marines, it will be an amazing thread to follow.
Consider me subscribed.

BBTramp
12-07-2011, 11:28
Fantastic Sculpting me friend, awesome stuff!!!

Guilliman
12-07-2011, 21:05
Thanks everyone!

Tancrede I love your marines! It's always exciting when I see that thread among the latest updated! Once again, it's awesome to hear you like my stuff. :D

Got another update for you. As I said I had to fix some of the creases. I also shortened the sleeve a bit. But I guess the finished bedroll is the only thing interesting here. :rolleyes:

C&C welcome as always.

I should have the right arm halv finished by tomorrow. :)

Sicarius the 2nd
13-07-2011, 10:03
This is some nice stuff, look forward to seeing more!

StugMeister
13-07-2011, 12:18
Great job so far - I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with... :)

Solun Decius
13-07-2011, 14:26
This is a really good sculpt your doing. I also can't wait to see the OSL painting.
Are you planing on putting a hat on top of his head? The forehead still seems a bit low/short.

Guilliman
13-07-2011, 16:21
This is a really good sculpt your doing. I also can't wait to see the OSL painting.
Are you planing on putting a hat on top of his head? The forehead still seems a bit low/short.

Yes most of his forehead will be hidden beneath a hat. I actually made the base for it yesterday so I might get somewhere with it tonight. :)

bp.
13-07-2011, 17:52
Fantastic work, your gs skills are pretty damned awesome!

Guilliman
13-07-2011, 23:40
Another update. Hat is finished save for the skull on the front and the little radio on his right ear. :D

Mohaniker
13-07-2011, 23:48
Can't wait to see this finished, its good to see some Valhallans for a change! Keep up the good work!

Petay1985
14-07-2011, 08:02
you sir are a very talented man, the scult is fantastic, forgeworld in quailty! i cannot wait to see this diorama finished.

icecream boy
14-07-2011, 09:46
He's looking quite simply magnificent. Fantastic work :eek:

Solun Decius
14-07-2011, 11:11
Niiiiice! Hat's great.

Lord Azoth
14-07-2011, 11:41
jawdropping!...amazing sculpting skills!

Deamon-forge
14-07-2011, 12:15
very nice work, i'd leave the skull of the hat, as the hats perfect. you sir have got talent with the green.

Pichamorena
14-07-2011, 14:50
Oleeeee!! Great job!! I'm impatient to see finished

Karak Norn Clansman
14-07-2011, 15:05
Imponerande! With this quality, you'll stand a good chance in Golden Daemon. I'll be keeping my eyes on this project. :)

Guilliman
15-07-2011, 18:33
Not quite there yet, but I thought I'd give you an idea of the finished model. Only the sleeve, rifle strap and cigarette in his right hand left to do. :D

I've actually decided to make a rubber mould out of him. Not that there's much use for a model like this somewhere else than in this diorama, so it's just for fun. It's the first model I've ever sculpted almost completely from scratch. I've already got the stuff needed and as I've only used them once. They were really expensive so I think it's about time they come to use again. :rolleyes:

TheConverter15
15-07-2011, 19:01
This is great! Amazing sculpting skills here Guilliman :)

Mega Nutz
15-07-2011, 19:51
Great posing, I can imagine him with Michaels Caines voice saying 'See, e was only sposed to blow the bloody doors orf' :)

Simply superb work!

Tinners
15-07-2011, 21:28
If you cast him pm me :P

Guilliman
15-07-2011, 22:14
I'd like to sell them cheap to anyone interested, but I'm not sure how legal it is when I've used GW's head. But perhaps it's legal if I give them away for free? Simply send me an envelope containing another stamped envelope?

MaxSigmund
15-07-2011, 23:31
Well, I hope you don't feel the might of GW's legal arm on your bonce, because your sculpting is absolutely great! Cracking work.

icecream boy
16-07-2011, 01:02
AFAIK, giving them away would be totally fine, though given how nice the sculpt is, it would be a waste. I would totally be interested in getting one if you do decide to cast some, as would many others I imagine.

SSG Snuffy
16-07-2011, 02:14
That's a really impressive sculpt. What do you have planned for the other figure?

If I may be so bold as to offer a little inspiration... take a look at Youtube at a video titled "Tyomnaja Notch." Plenty of iconic poses and expressions in there that would be great material for your diorama.

Sicarius the 2nd
16-07-2011, 10:36
This looks amazing so far, looking forward to the end products and to see some paint, reminds me of a scene from band of brothers when they are in Bastogne!
Andy

Jo-Jo
16-07-2011, 12:26
Must have one :P
Good luck on the rest of them. Hope they turn out even better. If thats possible.

Hadriel Caine
16-07-2011, 13:56
Awesome stuff! Can't wait to see him finished. The pose is very natural.

Guilliman
16-07-2011, 23:14
Thanks for all the comments. I can really see how the interest for this thread has increased as the sculpt has gotten closer to completion (I wouldn't be interested after seeing only the first post either). Also how everyone get their own associations. Some people like to name their dioramas with a quote of some sort but I won't do anything like that. I like how people can have their own interpretation of what the topic of conversation is.

Anyway, he's 99% complete. I only have to file the lower bit of the strap down once the GS has set completely and I have rolled a very thin strip of GS that I will cut down to get his cigarette. I'll just wait until I've made the mould before I attach it. It's way to thin to cast successfully anyway.

For all interested: I will make the rubber mould, but I'll cast copies only after Games Day when I feel I have the time to do so. It's tempting to do a profit of it, but as I've said, the bigger the profit the more nervous I'll get about the legal stuff. Simply send me a PM and I'll see how many interested there are and then wait til after GD.

Tomorrow I'll ask my brother to pose for the second sculpt so I can begin the work on it right away.

Melchor
16-07-2011, 23:19
Looking ace Guilliman! It looks like when it's painted it will be undistinguishable from an actual GW Valhallan.
One suggestion though, the right hand looks like it needs cigarette. :D Not sure how that will affect your chances at winning a Golden Demon though...

Guilliman
16-07-2011, 23:24
Looking ace Guilliman! It looks like when it's painted it will be undistinguishable from an actual GW Valhallan.
One suggestion though, the right hand looks like it needs cigarette. :D Not sure how that will affect your chances at winning a Golden Demon though...

Read the entry more careful and you'll see he's meant to have a cigarette. And OF COURSE it will increase my chances of winning a statuette! :D

SharpSilver
16-07-2011, 23:28
Some excellent sculpting there. Look fab.

Melchor
17-07-2011, 00:32
Oops sorry. My bad.
And I'm sure a smoke will make him look a lot cooler. I'm unsure as to wether GW has problem with the GD entries smoking. I'm guessing with all the war and violence that's depicted in their games and imagery they'd be ok with it but you never know. ;)

Guilliman
17-07-2011, 00:42
Oops sorry. My bad.
And I'm sure a smoke will make him look a lot cooler. I'm unsure as to wether GW has problem with the GD entries smoking. I'm guessing with all the war and violence that's depicted in their games and imagery they'd be ok with it but you never know. ;)

I thought about that earlier today as well but then I realized you get a smoking head in the cadian command squad. Lord Castellan Ursarkar Creed's got one big cigarr between his fingers as well, so I guess it won't be a problem. :D

Hadriel Caine
17-07-2011, 09:14
I'm blown away with the quality of sculpting here. I thought you were going to put a skull on the hat. I think it looks good without it tbh but thought I'd mention it incase you had forgotten!

Guilliman
17-07-2011, 09:42
I'm blown away with the quality of sculpting here. I thought you were going to put a skull on the hat. I think it looks good without it tbh but thought I'd mention it incase you had forgotten!

Thanks. I left it off, only forgott to mention it. I'm not really a fan of those skulls, and as Deamon-forge poited out, it probably looks bertter without it. :D

Mega Nutz
17-07-2011, 10:29
I've really enjoyed seeing this figure develop and the completed model is simply superb. As for the comment about the cigarette, I'll add my two peneth worth...smoking has featured both in GW's models and in the Imperial guard codex (previous one to the current) so it'd be rather contradictory to mark someone's work down due to that!

Brother Alexos
17-07-2011, 16:51
That Lasgun is huge...

Guilliman
17-07-2011, 19:03
I know Alexos.. :( We can thank GW's hero scale weapons for that. At least I got rid of the worst of it on the rest of the model. To show you guys how he scales to another warhammer model I took this pic for you:

Been rather busy today doing something else than sculpting. The next valhallan will be sitting on a box of ammo, so I had to build the box first. As a side effect of me being a perfectionist: they open. :p

I also took a shot for you to see the basic layout of the scene. Next guy will be sitting on the box to the right warming his hand over the fire. My plan's been to have a third soldier trying to get some sleep lying down with his back against the same box. The original plan of the composition was to have him on the right side with his feet pointing away from the rest of the scene. But having taken this picture now, I'm unsure on where to place him. Perhaps placing him on the other side between the two awake in front of the other boxes won't have him sticking out of the scene as much. Suggestions?

Serpent
17-07-2011, 19:13
Put him with his back to the three boxes, so that his feet are close to the fire. Perhpas he's been out on patrol, and his feet are cold. That would explain the fatigue as well.

This is a great project. Keep it up!

SSG Snuffy
17-07-2011, 20:52
Hmm... I like the semi-circular arrangement better than the more linear original composition. If you change his orientation, what will the third soldier be doing? How about writing a letter? Strumming a stringed instrument? Shaving with a straight razor? Field-stripping his weapon?

Sleeping would be fine, too, though if you do that I'd put him on his side and allow his curled position to mimic and reinforce the semi-circular arrangement of his two buddies.

Just my opinion!

baphomael
17-07-2011, 21:01
your valhallen is fantastic, its wonderfully characterful, and I can imagine him complaining with a comrade in that fatalistic slavic black humour.

"Comrade, you think it bad here? On St. Josiah's Landing we had bug bigger than bear!"

"Oh yea, well on Alpha-Two-Six we had bug bigger than car! And it lay egg in your brain!"

"Bah, our bug would eat your bug for breakfast!"

"Yea? Well our bug would eat your bug, puke back up and eat again!"

Guilliman
17-07-2011, 22:01
Hmm... I like the semi-circular arrangement better than the more linear original composition. If you change his orientation, what will the third soldier be doing? How about writing a letter? Strumming a stringed instrument? Shaving with a straight razor? Field-stripping his weapon?

Sleeping would be fine, too, though if you do that I'd put him on his side and allow his curled position to mimic and reinforce the semi-circular arrangement of his two buddies.

Just my opinion!

Thanks Snuffy for some good points. :) I'll have him sleeping and snuggling beneath a blanket. The plan is to make it look really cold. Plus it will save me so much time sculpting if I only need to sculpt one blanket with a head. ;)

Munchy
18-07-2011, 09:25
Hi Guilliman,

I've been keeping an eye on this as I usually enter the Diorama category as well. This is progressing very nicely! Your sculpting skills are excellent and I look forward to seeing what the next figures look like.

Here's to hoping we both come away with a demon!

Guilliman
18-07-2011, 11:43
Thanks Munchy! I remember seeing your Photo Diorama thread a while ago. I love dioramas like yours that shows something besides the fighting. Any chance of seeing what you're entering this year?

Munchy
18-07-2011, 12:39
This year's entry is somwhat more complicated, I will be making a thread soon for it ;)

It's tricky as at the moment, I am in the middle of moving house, amongst other things. So I am not getting anywhere near as much time as I hpe to to work on it. It will be featuring Death Korps and Catachans though, and the base is built and the plan is made, and most of the models have been purchased.

Gonfrask
18-07-2011, 22:58
Nice sculpt!

Guilliman
19-07-2011, 00:45
I hope you'll make it in time Munchy. It'd be great to see something like your last diorama live at GD. :D

Well I'm back with some updates. It took me more time to have my brother pose for reference photos and building the skeleton than I thought it would.
But I really hope to have the legs and lower part of the coat finished by tomorrow.

But some time of today has been spent building the fire as well. I'm not satisfied yet. The fire needs more flames as it looks to pointy at the moment, but you get the general idea. Sculpting flames turned out to be easier than I thought so I should be finished by tomorrow.

Then fire goes into barrel. :D

Tinners
19-07-2011, 01:33
Looking forward to seeing more. Not enough valhallans around, and defo not enough lovely scratchbuilt ones. I envy your skills I really do.

icecream boy
19-07-2011, 07:33
Fire is a difficult thing to sculpt really, though I'm confident in your abilities. Have you though of putting a LED light into it?

Caiphas Cain
19-07-2011, 07:43
If you paint this well, you'd better win. :D

If you don't, yell racist at the top of your lungs or something dignified like that. :p

Guilliman
19-07-2011, 11:07
Fire is a difficult thing to sculpt really, though I'm confident in your abilities. Have you though of putting a LED light into it?

I've had trouble sculpting fire once before and it ended up with me making a GS mould out of a horror arm. Turns out it's much easier when you've got the right tools for it. :D

Some of my friends have already suggested a LED light. That wouldn't however be the same thing as painting the OSL myself. Only thing that's tempting though is casting it in clear plastic. :rolleyes: But then again, painting it is the only real challenge. I think painting the rest of the scene as dark as I'm planning will make a really bright fire stand out really well. :)

Munchy
19-07-2011, 11:26
Guilliman, I just found this photo of one of my first GD diorama entries, with a similar theme!

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a314/munnchy/PICT0007.jpg

Yours is looking far superior already :D

Guilliman
19-07-2011, 11:38
Guilliman, I just found this photo of one of my first GD diorama entries, with a similar theme!

Yours is looking far superior already :D

That's awesome Munchy! I used to follow that thread, it inspired me a lot. :D

Guilliman
20-07-2011, 02:02
Got a lot done today. First I finished the fire. Not much to show though, it's basicly the same thing you saw in my last update with some more flames on it. I almost finished the legs and lower part of the robe. What's left is the back of the robe that should be visible between his legs. Also the top of the left leg will be fixed tomorrow. The problem with sculpting the robe hanging free in the air is that I have nothing supporting it, so smoothing it out is sometimes impossible. But tomorrow I'll have what I've done today to press some new GS onto.

Right after these photos were taken I realized I'd built to much flesh onto the skeleton and my guy was huge. However I managed to cut enough of the GS away and sculpt new creases and it now looks a lot better next to my first sculpt.

SSG Snuffy
20-07-2011, 04:09
Right after these photos were taken I realized I'd built to much flesh onto the skeleton and my guy was huge.

No plus-sized Valhallans? ;)

Fox Of 9
20-07-2011, 10:26
An overfed adviser?

Guilliman
20-07-2011, 22:53
Been really busy today as usual. I was hoping to finish the collar before I went to sleep, but I had to attach the head with GS that now has got to cure before I can do anything else. Getting the head right was relly difficult and like yesterday I've made some alterations after taking the pics (pressed it down a bit). I also tried to get a picture of the two interacting, but it was really difficult doing it with one hand. The'll be standing closer and facing each other better than now but you get the general idea.

G.Hawke
20-07-2011, 23:20
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v211/Morskittar/Valhallan%20diorama/DSC05492.jpg

i can imagine the discussion....

"And then it was like Caw Caw! Caw Caw!"

looks good, nice clean sculpting.

-hawke

Gonfrask
20-07-2011, 23:21
The diorama is very promising, Are you thinking of something or someone watching the guards?
A Lictor or similar

DigitsDavid
20-07-2011, 23:24
Very sweet work. Some of the best gs work I've seen.

Guilliman
20-07-2011, 23:40
Are you thinking of something or someone watching the guards?
A Lictor or similar

No, that's not the intention of the diorama. Some "easter eggs" would be fun though. Best ideas som far is a rat that's eating from a hole in one of the boxes and/or writing "Footballs" on one box in russian. :p

I'm open to suggestions but nothing involvning "enemies".

SSG Snuffy
21-07-2011, 00:33
How about labeling the box as something totally inappropriate for a winter battlefield? It would be fun to put the Munitorium's inefficiency on display... something like beach balls, life preservers, suntan lotion, parasols, etc. Labelled in Cyrillic, of course.

StormCrow
21-07-2011, 02:48
How about labeling the box as something totally inappropriate for a winter battlefield? It would be fun to put the Munitorium's inefficiency on display... something like beach balls, life preservers, suntan lotion, parasols, etc. Labelled in Cyrillic, of course.

I humbly suggest you go with this idea, suntan lotion would be awesome

Cygnusmaximus
21-07-2011, 03:02
I humbly suggest you go with this idea, suntan lotion would be awesome

Except sunblock and/or lotion could be completely appropriate for snowy environs. Snow can be very reflective.

I recommend refrigeration units.

SSG Snuffy
21-07-2011, 04:44
The box looks about the right size for an air conditioner window unit... good thinking!

drmarco
21-07-2011, 19:56
Hey Guilliman...

Excellent work; first rate sculpting, and the diorama is really tapping into the 'behind the scenes' feeling that often works so well.

I have just one concern.

The imagery is brilliant, and two soldiers gathering for warmth, grabbing a quick cig, is an iconic look that reverberates the world war imagery that the imperial guard grew from.

But in this uber-pc age, with a multi-national 'plc.' mentality...might the cigarette dissuade a judge?

Sure, black library has lho-sticks and the setting is one of brutality and violence, but bearing in mind GWs demographic might the presence of a ciggie make a judge think twice?

I'm not trying to scupper things for you, but just recall a friend in the mid nineties who had a vehicle entry - a beautifully converted harlequin jetbike...excellently converted, dynamic and stunning freehand patterning and imagery.
He was relegated to a finalist spot by 3 slightly bland contenders.

Afterwards, a friend in the studio related that it was because the colours chosen (predominantly purple, green and white) in conjunction with the 'harlequin' concept made it a little too close to another company's ip - although not a direct reference, the similarities to 'the Joker' seem to have dissuaded the judges.

All a bit apocryphal, I know, and maybe it's just that experience that makes me skittish. But when they get to finalist standard I'm sure judges have to start thinking of 'deciding factors' to discount folks, and I would hate to see anything prevent this entry walking with a trophy.

Perhaps there are gd winners out there with smoking figures or perhaps it would add the grittiness that a smoking judge would love! But just worth a thought...

Thanks for sharing the amazing work so far, and can't wait to see the next installment...

Good luck,

Marco

Karak Norn Clansman
21-07-2011, 20:01
Good progress. That sitting Valhallan currently looks like he's about to fly. Will you keep the pose? ;)

Guilliman
21-07-2011, 20:51
You make a good point Marco. But I think it's more worth considering in the use of the Cyrillic alphabet rather than the cigarette. Don't forget the cigarr in Ursarkar E. Creed's hand. There's even a head with a cigarette in the Cadian Command box, so I don't think you have to worry. I will however think twice about the boxes.

And Clansman, no he won't be waving his arms like a colibri when he's finished. :D

Munchy
21-07-2011, 21:46
I don't believe the cigarettes will be a problem, my diorama had 2 in it last year and I believe it would have comfortably gained a bronze statue instead of finalist if my painting standard was up to what it is this year (fingers crossed).

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a314/munnchy/Golden%20Demon%202010/DSCF3168.jpg

After speaking to a couple of the judges about where I could improve, cigarettes were not mentioned.

Sculpting is looking great Guilliman! Looking forward to seeing the second chap finished.

StormCrow
21-07-2011, 23:15
Except sunblock and/or lotion could be completely appropriate for snowy environs. Snow can be very reflective.

I recommend refrigeration units.

Whilst true I'd rather fight the enemies of the Imperium with tanks and grenades instead of sunblock...

Guilliman
22-07-2011, 01:00
Been rather busy today. I decided to threw the arm together tonight. I might do some tweaks to it tomorrow. The GS hardened extremely quickly. I almost thought I wouldn't have time to sculpt the creases. :confused:

Only thing I'm unsure about is the size of his torso. Getting the proportions right has been extremely hard since I have no good minis for reference. I've had to work with the photos I've taken of my brother and it's then the hero scale has really taken its toll. The slightly to big legs and bigger head (bigger than the first sculpt's that is) hasn't made it easier either. I hope the torso will look bigger once the bedroll is on first thing tomorrow morning.

Apart from that I'm really satisfied with the pace I've kept up with this one. Even though it was my goal in the beginning of the week I could barely hope to finish one entire mini in one week. :D

The Laughing God
22-07-2011, 01:11
That looks fantastic. Really smooth work, I wish I could do that.

icecream boy
22-07-2011, 07:56
I can see what you're talking about with the torso. I think it might just be his shoulders more than anything, not too hard to fix. See how it looks with the bedroll on anyway =)

Mega Nutz
22-07-2011, 08:51
Another superb looking sculpt!

I can't help wondering if something as simple as these two figures, the oil drum and a box maybe sufficient for the diorama. The overall simplicity might help promote your sculpting/painting skills.

just a thought! :)

Munchy
22-07-2011, 10:03
Looking great Guilliman!

I have yet to try sculpting an entire model from scratch, but I may have to do a reasonable amount of scultping for this year on catachans. Muscle is probably hard to sculpt!

When do you plan to start applying paint to these beauties?

Guilliman
22-07-2011, 10:43
Looking great Guilliman!

I have yet to try sculpting an entire model from scratch, but I may have to do a reasonable amount of scultping for this year on catachans. Muscle is probably hard to sculpt!

When do you plan to start applying paint to these beauties?

Good luck with the sculpting. I'd be happy to give you some tips if you run into any difficulties. :)

I'll sculpt the thrird one next week and then finish building the scene. So I hope to get the painting started in two weeks. I've begun building the scene but I think Mega Nutz has got a good point. The scene looks a bit big atm and I can't really start fixing anything in place in it until I know there's place for all the minis. I want to make it as small as possible to really get the models in focus but at the same time display their enviroment with the could and ruined trenches.

Munchy
22-07-2011, 11:43
How are you planning to make the base itself? Will it be mounted on a plinth? If you need a hand sourcing anything, let me know as I can highly recommend two companies for bases and brass plaques.

I may take you up on the sculpting advice!

Guilliman
22-07-2011, 12:18
My plan is to make some nice wooden base myself. My dad' a carpenter and his garage is his wood workshop so I'll have no problem throwing something nice together. And as I'm not planning to name it there's no need for a brass plaque. But thanks anyway. :)

Guilliman
26-07-2011, 23:08
Well I'm back with an update. First I thought I'd show you the progress of making the rubber mould for my cast. First half should have hardened by tomorrow. Then I'll turn it over and pour some more rubber into my lego mould. To cover the first half I used a speciel sand. I got it from a friend that's got tons of it. I'll let the photos speak for themselves:

Next up is the guy sitting. I just finished him, although he will have a helmet lying behind him on the box. I hope to get started on the third sculpt tomorrow. Problem is I've almost run out of GS and although I ordered more this friday it hasn't even been posted yet. I'm keeping my fingers crossed they post it tomorrow.

Guilliman
26-07-2011, 23:09

I was going to take a picture with both models in front of each other but realized the other one was lying in liquid rubber. :p

ephrael
27-07-2011, 00:17
What kind of sand is that? I've been using clay and it is a bit of a hassle to clean off the master.

Guilliman
27-07-2011, 06:54
What kind of sand is that? I've been using clay and it is a bit of a hassle to clean off the master.

It's some kind of moulding sand. I know it was available from the same store (don't remember which one) I bought my casting equipment but I was to cheap to purchase some. Luckily my friend got his from our university's workshop. The sand packs so tight it's actually possible to produce two mould halfes made completely from sand possible to use for 1-2 casts in metal. Not as detailed casts as this will be though.

synthet
27-07-2011, 07:12
Your sculpting skills i amazing! I saw your minis i nyköping a few days ago, and I most say that they look about 10 times better IRL! I would be surprised if you didn´t get one statuette on GD:)

Mega Nutz
27-07-2011, 08:30
The second finished pose is fantastic. Can't wait to see the two in situ!

Xepher
27-07-2011, 09:13
Are you sure you don't work in GW's design studio? these are fantastic. Definitely professional standard sculpting. Can't wait to see the finished product ;)

Munchy
27-07-2011, 11:40
Looking great Guilliman! I hope your mold doesn't damage the first trooper though!

Guilliman
27-07-2011, 13:10
First mould half is finished. The trooper is fine but it turns out I should have looked into this sand a bit more as the rubber soaked up the upper 1 mm layer of sand. I think one's supposed to spray some kind of release agent on the sand first. But i managed to cut away the sand layer and everything seems fine by now. The second mould half is hardening outride in the garage the moment I'm writing this. :D

Now I'll finish the helmet I started working on yesterday and pour some of the rubber on top of it unless it's hardened to much in a couple of hours.

Then I'll get started on the sleeping guy. :)

Ash
27-07-2011, 14:40
Really looking forward to seeing how these turn out. Your sculpting is superb.

Balerion
27-07-2011, 20:38
That looks fantastic. Really smooth work, I wish I could do that.
Yes! Smooth both literally and figuratively.

Actually, Guilliman, I was wondering what sort of tool + technique you use to smooth areas of greenstuff. It's something I find very difficult to get right, and you are clearly excellent at it.

Guilliman
27-07-2011, 21:40
Yes! Smooth both literally and figuratively.

Actually, Guilliman, I was wondering what sort of tool + technique you use to smooth areas of greenstuff. It's something I find very difficult to get right, and you are clearly excellent at it.

I usually use the knife end of the GW sculpting tool. I have however heard that many people complain about the GW tool. I think I was lucky to get a good one. The important thing is you've got a flat tool you feel you have good control over then simply use it as a trowel as if you're smooting out filler.

Another important thing when using green stuff is to apply all GS you need at one time. I usually apply a bit too much for, lets say, an arm. I then form it to the approximate size and shape by pushing the GS towards an "end" (in the case of an arm that's usually the wrist), then cut the excess GS away. If yo do it the other way around with to little GS in the beginning you have to add small balls of extra GS all the time. Those are always a pain and sometimes impossible to smooth out.

The nest thing I can think of is to mix your GS in proper amounts. I like my GS a bit dark. Though it hardens faster this way it's much more easyto get smooth. This is because it gets less sticky and doesn't stick to your tools as often.

Which leads to the last thing I can think of: Always keep your tools clean from GS. The moment you've got tiny amounts of putty covering your tools it's impossible to get a smooth surface. Keep the tools wet at all times to avoid this and have a tissue to wipe if off when it happens anyway.

I hope that will give you something to start from. :)

adpMagos
27-07-2011, 21:45
You'r truly gifted man, both for skill and concept!
May I ask you where did you get those faces/hands and what did you use to make the barrel?

Guilliman
27-07-2011, 22:01
You'r truly gifted man, both for skill and concept!
May I ask you where did you get those faces/hands and what did you use to make the barrel?

Thanks Magos! :D

Faces are from the Cadian Command squad and the hands on my last model are from the Empire Flagellants box and the smoking hand is from the Empire Militia box.

If you read though my post ons the first pages I've tried to write down a pretty good guide on how to make the barrel.

adpMagos
27-07-2011, 22:06
Thanks Magos! :D
If you read though my post ons the first pages I've tried to write down a pretty good guide on how to make the barrel.
My fault: I noticed that after I had already posted:angel:
Thanks anyway;)

EDIT: what a shame they're gonna be so few...I'd like to see a regiment of these!!!

drewxfu1
27-07-2011, 22:35
Great sculpts :)

I wish the GW valhallans looked as good as these!

icecream boy
28-07-2011, 07:09
The only problem I can see you coming across in the comp is people assuming they're simply conversions and not realizing how much work has gone into them.

Guilliman
28-07-2011, 22:19
The only problem I can see you coming across in the comp is people assuming they're simply conversions and not realizing how much work has gone into them.

I've learned the GD udges are more observant than most people. I'd say the risk is bigger they think they're models from another company. But given how they resemble valhallans so much I doubt it. If I see it's not made the first cut I'll have a serious talk with them. :angel:

Finished the first stage on the third guy today. The feet and shoulders and up will be the only thing visible outside the cover he'll be sleeping under. He'll also be resting his head on the medic satchel from the Cadian command squad. I'm taking a lot of inspiration from this pic I found on the net:

And here's a pic of the progress so far:

Here's a little something I did for fun and detail.

I've also made a mould so that I won't have to sculpt two more identical to it. Speeking of moulds: today the second half of the mould for the first sculpt has cured. Everything worked out fine, so I'll probably be able to make a few casts after games day.

I'm going away for the weekend though. I'll hopefully have some material for the scene delivered when I get home, so I'll probably start posting pictures of the whole thing next week.

TheConverter15
28-07-2011, 22:26
Looks absolutely fantastic! The posing is perfect!

Gustovic
29-07-2011, 11:34
Mmmhh, the soilder isn't sleeping, he's dead...:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Ghod
29-07-2011, 12:16
This all looks quality, best of luck with it.

Jo-Jo
30-07-2011, 01:52
It's so...

Beautiful :D Nothing else to say but keep up the good work.

VERITAS/AEQUITAS
30-07-2011, 11:05
I always had a love for the Valhallan troopers. Looking forward to see this project getting into shape. Your love for details is amazing as is your sculpting.

G.Hawke
30-07-2011, 11:20

yeah but i don't think he's aiming for 'here's two live dudes having a conversation whilst a squadie becomes wormbate' type of diorama...

great work, can't wait to see the casts.

-hawke

Karak Norn Clansman
30-07-2011, 11:38
Excellent progress so far, It'll be interesting to see the mold. As for the sitting soldier who recently looked like he was about to fly: One idea for a future diorama, featuring a squad of Guardsmen who ran into Vespids, might be to have one soldier jumping about on a crate waving his arms like a colibri, whilst the others watch him and the Vespid gun that is lying on a crate in front of him. It'd be humorous at least. :D

Corvussanctus
30-07-2011, 13:54

nahw, pining for the fjords of norway....

Great sculpts and poses! :yes:

Gen.Steiner
31-07-2011, 14:44
Truly awe-inspiring stuff. I would be very interested in getting hold of any models you happen to have spare; I'll PM you in a sec.

Best of luck for the GD, I'll be following this thread with much interest!

baphomael
31-07-2011, 16:12

"S-so c-c-cold...s-s-so...c-cold. I..I th-think I'll just c-close my eyes...rest a touch...rest..."

Wow, that got a bit morbid :|

Daniel36
31-07-2011, 16:28
Incredible... Just plain incredible...

JoeRugby
31-07-2011, 20:14
Looking awesome so far

Very envious of your sculpting ability

Guilliman
31-07-2011, 21:28
"S-so c-c-cold...s-s-so...c-cold. I..I th-think I'll just c-close my eyes...rest a touch...rest..."

Wow, that got a bit morbid :|

Just the reaction I was hoping for. ;)

Thanks for all the comments. Keep 'em coming, this is what keeps me going. :)

Today, one week later than expected, my corrugated iron plastic card for the trench finally arrived. Though this (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Corrugated_iron_manual_roller.JPG) was what I thought I had ordered, this (http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Trapezplat.jpg?uselang=sv) is what was in the mail. After some cursing I finally figured out what I had given up when I ordered the plastic card. I found this pair of pliers in the garage:

And after some bending back and forth I ended up with this:

I now have two sheets with different spacing and I'm a bit unsure on which one to use. Please help!

I've gotten even further on the sleeping (or dead? ;)) guy. I'll probably post pics later tonight.

Gen.Steiner
31-07-2011, 21:35
My opinion would be to go with the smaller corrugations; it looks more in scale.

Of course, at the end of the day, it's your baby!

G.Hawke
31-07-2011, 21:51
i'm with the call for the smaller ridges... it just looks alot cooler. Still can't wait to see how this beast develops.

-hawke

TheConverter15
31-07-2011, 22:01
Smaller, though if you mix them, it may give the diorama a more rag-tag desperate feel. :D Looks good however you do it!

Gen.Steiner
31-07-2011, 22:13
That's a good point actually. Maybe make a few 'patches' of the wider corrugated stuff, covering battle damage and preventing a collapse. Also you'll probably want a million sandbags and pit props (wood or metal or both)?

Guilliman
31-07-2011, 22:31
Trust me there will be a LOT of sandbags.´Mixing is a great idea, so I'll use both types of the plates.

Although all of you and all the friends I've asked has said the left one looked better I've decided to use most of the right. I just realized it'll be a pain to paint the OSL on the smaller one. Also, the right one is actually more to scale, so at least I'll have that on my conscience. :rolleyes:

Toschenko
31-07-2011, 22:38
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v211/Morskittar/Valhallan%20diorama/2.jpg

I'd go with neither of the two :p. As in the pic you posted, some wooden walls could look cooler IMHO (it shouldn't be too difficult to obtain them out of balsa wood). If you want to follow the corrugated metal route, as others have already said I'd probably add a mix of the two styles to help adding that "rushed" and improvised feel to the trench. Guard should always stand in extemporary cover, you know - as they rest between sweeping advances through bullet walls and thousands of their comrades' corpses :rolleyes:

Exceptional work so far, I wish I had your scuplting skills - I'm jumping on the five stars train :D

Toschenko

Gen.Steiner
31-07-2011, 22:39
Also, the right one is actually more to scale, so at least I'll have that on my conscience. :rolleyes:

I sit corrected! :D

MrDee
31-07-2011, 23:10
that is exceptional

bp.
01-08-2011, 00:45
You don't need to worry about the picture - none of those soldiers laying down are dead as they would have been removed from the trench, they are all resting.

icecream boy
01-08-2011, 08:12
Those two look great together =)
Not sure if you've touched on this, but are you going for more of a muddy or snowy setting? Or even a bit of both?

Guilliman
01-08-2011, 09:52
I wan't to make it look really cold, so something like frozen mud covered with a thin layer of snow. I must however make the snow outside the light from the fire lookdark somehow. I'm used to use baking soda for snow so I'll have to experiment on how to colour it grey. :p

Gen.Steiner
01-08-2011, 11:07
Don't use baking soda. Splash out on some GW snow, get a small amount and put it in a (very) watered down dish of black wash. Then strain it using a coffee strainer, and leave it to dry.

Tinners
01-08-2011, 12:39
Or look around online and get what GW rebrand for cheaper.

Guilliman
01-08-2011, 17:01
Don't use baking soda. Splash out on some GW snow, get a small amount and put it in a (very) watered down dish of black wash. Then strain it using a coffee strainer, and leave it to dry.

I've never been a fan of the GW snow as it covers such a thin layer but I'll give it a shot. :)

Finished the third guy some minutes ago. Now I'll play around with the corrugated metal while he hardens and then I'll be able to play around with the setting of the three soldiers together. I've figured I need to be certain on the sixe of the base since I plan to let the sand on it "flow" onto the wooden plinth I'm making, thus I need to make the plinth before I finish the scene.

Jo-Jo
01-08-2011, 20:05
Cold and extremely fed up. Love him!

Guilliman
01-08-2011, 20:12
Thanks Jo-Jo! :D

He's finally hardened enough. So I played around with the composition and realized it probably looks better the way I planned from the beginning. What do you all think?

The composition I've lately been aiming for:

My original plan:

And one I did for the sake of an alternative:

Karak Norn Clansman
01-08-2011, 20:20
Go with the original plan, it's the best one. Good progress, by the way! Riktigt snitsigt. :)

Toschenko
01-08-2011, 20:24
Baking soda makes up for a good snow effect, but on shops there are some proper products to emulate snow. They are made out of fine glass spheres and an acrylic bonding medium, which give a smooth and pearl-like finish like frozen snow. Here there is an example, produced under the italian brand Prochima:

Prochima snow effect (http://www.prochima.com/eng/product.asp?id=19)

there are also two videos on how to use it. You may want to give them a look :p

Toschenko

Jo-Jo
01-08-2011, 20:29
Depending on how you intend to paint the blanket, I would most likely go for the original, as the man in blanket seems hidden and wasted.

Col.Gravis
01-08-2011, 20:30
Just to drop in my 2cents, aside from the fact what you've done so far is absolutely awesome, another alternative for snow is crushed glass, not suitable for gaming but ideal for diorama pieces, Secret Weapon Miniatures sell it.

http://www.secretweaponminiatures.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=13&products_id=106&zenid=i2t2ud72i11vo5uii3i32ts1f6

VERITAS/AEQUITAS
01-08-2011, 20:43
I like the last one best. The other two hide the lying soldier too much IMO.

Toschenko
01-08-2011, 20:52
Whooops I lost the last pictures. I'd go with the third: it is visually well balanced, and gives the feel that the three men positions are "right". I don't like the second one, but only because the lying guy seems too far from the consoling warmth of the fire. At least this is the impression it gives to me. While it's true that the third guy is somewhat "out of the scene" lying on ground, you may always paint his blanket with a contrasting colour (green, if you're going with the GW Valhallan scheme).

My two cents on an already wonderful masterpiece,

Toschenko

DeathCat147
01-08-2011, 21:24
I vote for you original idea or a slightly modified version of the first pic. Same basic lay out, but how about have the sleeping guy perched on a couple of crates along the left hand section of sheet metal instead of the cold ground?

Melchor
01-08-2011, 21:24
For the sake of visibility I'd go with the 'original plan'. As others have said the sleeping guys is kind of hidden in the other ones. I have another suggestion if you're up for it though. How about this:

From left to right: sleeping guy, feet towards the fire. Then the barrel with the standing guy behind it (sort of facing the viewer from across the fire). Finally the sitting guy on the right facing the fire as well. This way the fire becomes the centre of the diorama with the Valhallans arranged around it.

Just my €0.02. ;)

Daveofdoom22
01-08-2011, 22:28
This has got to be some of the best sculpting I've seen in a while. thank you for the boost of inspiration. keep up the good work!

TheConverter15
01-08-2011, 23:46
These are fantastic, I think your original plan is good, go with that. Maybe paint sleep drool on the other guy :p Any ideas on a title yet?

SSG Snuffy
02-08-2011, 02:07
I like the layout of your original plan, but I agree with DeathCat147: if the ground is frozen, you don't lay on it to sleep. If a cot is out of the question, then may a shipping pallet or some such is in order.

Cygnusmaximus
02-08-2011, 06:25
I like the layout of your original plan, but I agree with DeathCat147: if the ground is frozen, you don't lay on it to sleep. If a cot is out of the question, then may a shipping pallet or some such is in order.

Or a groundcloth, at the least.

I'd actually recommend that you center the standing fellow behind the barrel with the chap that's sitting on one side and the man laying down on the other. I think that would make the best use of space and makes the best use of the height of the standing figure.

Fantastic work!

icecream boy
02-08-2011, 07:38
RE the snow, I use this stuff (http://www.sceneryexpress.com/prodinfo.asp?number=NH08750) to rather good effect. It's basically really fine pieces of clear plastic. It's far cheaper than the Prochima product (though I believe that stuff looks better). If you wanna see what it looks like, check out the link in my sig.

Guilliman
02-08-2011, 16:24
Thanks for all the tips guy!

Here's what I've been doing so far today. I'll also get to work on some kind of groundcloth. I can't believe I didn't think of that, but that's partly why I have this plog. :)

And don't worry about the metal, I just had problems making it stay up for the photo. :p

I hope the plinth doesn't look to big. I had two choices of tools to make the side with and the other one was way too small.

Melchor
02-08-2011, 17:30
The plinth looks ok I think. It's a bit on the large side but it might look better once it's painted. Black I presume?

As for the composition, I still think it could be better. the leftmost guy should probably face the audience more. I'd still like to see how they look in the suggestion I posted earlier. ;)

Guilliman
02-08-2011, 18:23
I kept staring at that plinth and I finally just HAD to try the smaller one. And by Terra does it look better!! I gave your setup a try Melchor and I relly like it. This will take some serious consideration! Yes the plinth will be black and as you're reading this I'm out in the garage making a new one out of wood.

Goat of Yuggoth
02-08-2011, 18:28
About the texting you thought some two pages back:

Russian language doesn't use a specific wording of what game the balls are for, they're just 'balls'.

But that's awesome, too! The correct term in plain russian is: МЯЧИ
You could write something else however, if you think the word is too short. Something like kalashnikov, or the Stalker logo for example. But that's up to you of course.

And the setting is now quite what I had in mind when I first glazed at this thread. Keep it up! The lying down guy could, however, be slightly more feet towards the fire, if anything.

And don't thank me, thank my Russian bride :D

Cheers,
Goat

Melchor
02-08-2011, 18:35
That's what was talking about! It's a more triangular composition that way. Like in the Last Supper by Da Vinci. :) might want to angle the sitting guy slightly towards the viewer though but that's just me nitpicking. The plinth is also much better. I like!

Goat of Yuggoth
02-08-2011, 18:38
Whoops, ninja'd by you Melchor and Guilliman!

Totally agree with Melchor about the posing, and the smaller one looks definitely better!

But the rest of the previous comment is valid still :D

Goatee

Guilliman
02-08-2011, 19:16
Unfortunately the posing of the sitting guy's head doesn't allow me to turn him much more towards the viewer. That's why I didn't consider placing the standing guy in the middle. But I think I can do slightly better by moving the standing and sleeping guy a bit conter clockwise.

I've always tried to figure out how to get a triangular composition like this in the scene. Funny I never thought about this composition. Thanks a ton Melchor! :D

New wooden base i finished.

nedsta
02-08-2011, 19:40
Amazing stuff, might be a bit fiddly but have you maybe thought of making some empty rations to go next to the sleeping guy, I know when i was in the amy i would eat sometimes before going to sleep, just a thought but might portray that he's not really in the conversation, having eaten his food he's now trying to kepe as warm as possible and go to sleep

Mega Nutz
02-08-2011, 20:23
Like this composition alot although a quick question.. will the base work to come provide some sort of link with the sleeping soldier? At present his pose and the surroundings don't gel as well as the other two figures.

Jo-Jo
02-08-2011, 20:27
Have you thought of putting the laying guys lasgun somewhere? I know the hero scale makes it a bit intrusive, but it would make sense.

Guilliman
02-08-2011, 20:38
Mega Nutz, as I originally intended to have him resting his head on the same box the other one is sitting on I didn't really see that problem. But to answer both your questions I'm planning to include all manner of details. Sleeping guy will be resting on a sandbag or the medic bag from the command squad box (don't have the bag yet so I'm not sure how it'll look). And I'll have lasguns for both the sitting and sleeping guy, plus a showel, probably helmets for all three and a rat eating from a hole in the box the guy is sitting on.

And Nedsta, I've considered just that. :D

nedsta
02-08-2011, 21:07
Great minds think alike :D, hell if you can manage it then you could try making a small stove with a mess tin on top . This diorama ticks the main box for me, telling a story. I can't wait to see how this looks when you've finished it and I wish you all the best at GD.

FlashGordon
02-08-2011, 23:20
You should make a forth guy watching the trenches on top of the beach-ball boxes. ;) (oh and this is beautiful btw)

Mega Nutz
03-08-2011, 05:33
Mega Nutz, as I originally intended to have him resting his head on the same box the other one is sitting on I didn't really see that problem. But to answer both your questions I'm planning to include all manner of details. Sleeping guy will be resting on a sandbag or the medic bag from the command squad box (don't have the bag yet so I'm not sure how it'll look). And I'll have lasguns for both the sitting and sleeping guy, plus a showel, probably helmets for all three and a rat eating from a hole in the box the guy is sitting on. :D

That sandbag/s sound like a great plan and would compliment the setting perfectly!

The whole diorama looks brilliant and has a strong narrative, love it!!

(PS, have you considered a 40k version of a trench periscope for one of the details?)

Gen.Steiner
03-08-2011, 07:17
Just be careful, and don't add so much detail that it becomes clutter. ;) the rat sounds ace, though!

Generaloftheabyss
03-08-2011, 17:16
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v211/Morskittar/Valhallan%20diorama/DSC05806.jpg

the posing is so realistic , can imagine it coming straight from some ww2 photo.

tcraigen
03-08-2011, 23:28
Beautiful sculpting work. Very natural poses and they feel 40k style wise. Well done sir!

Karak Norn Clansman
03-08-2011, 23:32
Very good progress. That smaller plinth is perfect. This will be awesome to boot.

Guilliman
03-08-2011, 23:57
Todays progress. I've been really lazy today. I'm sure I could have finished the ground as well without any real effort.

Not sure if I should cut off the back of the sandbags like the trench wall I think it makes the back a bit more interesting. Thoughts?

luks13
04-08-2011, 00:17
I would definitely cut the ends of the sandbags off, because I think, that a Diorama should be a own world for itself, having certain borders, due to it's space. It's more like a screenshot of a special Situation, what's near it doesn't matter

Jacobite
04-08-2011, 01:03
I would definitely cut the ends of the sandbags off, because I think, that a Diorama should be a own world for itself, having certain borders, due to it's space. It's more like a screenshot of a special Situation, what's near it doesn't matter

I completely agree with this, clean cut is the way to go I think. It just contains the world more completely.

Your sculpting is amazing by the way, really natural. The flames in particular I am in awe of.

FlashGordon
04-08-2011, 01:42
I think the sandbags are way too big(i can just imagine one of those bags weighting more than a full grown bodybuilder) . Just make them smaller and it will look perfekt. :)

adpMagos
04-08-2011, 02:04
Maybe this pic can give you some more ideas about sandbags size/placement:
http://i875.photobucket.com/albums/ab315/Cap_87/Legio/DSCN2278.jpg

SSG Snuffy
04-08-2011, 06:08
I agree with FlashGordon, the bags are too big. They also look much too... well, 'full.' Having filled my share of them, I can assure you that no-one puts that much filler into a bag. The picture posted by adpMagos is pretty realistic, with regards to the bags.

The standard US military sandbag (can't imagine it's that different for the rest of the world) is 14" x 26" when flat/empty and can hold up to 50 lbs. of sand, though most get 30-40, tops.

As far as cutting them off flush, I usually don't care for that look... but in this case, you've already done so with one of your pieces of corrugated 'tin,' so I think you should trim the bags to match. Just my $0.02!

Student
04-08-2011, 08:44
I think the backs of the sand bags should be cut off. The whole diorama is looking great. I'm so envious of your green stuff skills.

Gen.Steiner
04-08-2011, 09:55
I'm going with the flow and saying that the backs need to go, and that they need to be a lot less full! :)

Melchor
04-08-2011, 10:48
I'd say cut off the sandbags. I would however consider some snow spillage onto the plinth like you suggested earlier. Keep it subtle though, too much will probably ruin the effect.

As for details, might I suggest some cups and/or a little kettle? Probably standing on one of the crates or something. Perhaps a hipflask next to the sleeping guy to suggest he's taken a little 'nightcap' before dozing off.

Guilliman
04-08-2011, 12:39
Redid the sandbags this morning. :D

Gen.Steiner
04-08-2011, 13:55
Much better. Well done!

Jo-Jo
04-08-2011, 16:38
Can we get a picture from the otherside?

Corvussanctus
04-08-2011, 17:23
looking great. :yes: :yes: :yes:
And i know you don't have much space in that diorama, but where's the firing step?

Gen.Steiner
04-08-2011, 17:27
It looks like a reserve trench or a sap leading back from the front anyway, so there wouldn't be a firing step neccessarily.

Karak Norn Clansman
04-08-2011, 19:20
Very good sandbags. Now it looks right.

Guilliman
04-08-2011, 20:35
Just got the sand glued on. What's left now is to sculpt the stuff the sleeping guy will be lying on and adding some random details. But first dinner. :D

Slightly different angle showing the trimmed down sandbags.

Another angle showing the back:

And one showing the look from the sitting guy (probably my favourite part of the diorama):

Corvussanctus
04-08-2011, 20:50
lovely!
But with so much love to detail, i hope you will make the belt of the gun fall in a more natural way. :)

Guilliman
04-08-2011, 20:53
lovely!
But with so much love to detail, i hope you will make the belt of the gun fall in a more natural way. :)

Yes, it's only there for show in the pic. :)

Karak Norn Clansman
04-08-2011, 20:53
Holy moly! This is shaping up really nice. I suppose you're not going to add some skulls to the base? :D

Guilliman
04-08-2011, 21:00
Holy moly! This is shaping up really nice. I suppose you're not going to add some skulls to the base? :D

No sorry, I don't imagine valhallans leaving their fallen comrades to rot in the trenches.

Mega Nutz
04-08-2011, 21:20
A superb composition!

FlashGordon
04-08-2011, 22:09
The new sanbags are perfekt. :) And i think there is nothing more i can advise about. Thumbs up! :D

Chiron
04-08-2011, 22:58
No sorry, I don't imagine valhallans leaving their fallen comrades to rot in the trenches.

Nope, a ready source of meat is to useful to let rot

G.Hawke
04-08-2011, 23:59
Nope, a ready source of meat is to useful to let rot

Dunno, i mean... there is only so many sandbags you can get your hands on... and bodies do seem to be at hand.

as for the modelling great stuff, can't wait to see it painted.

-hawke

Guilliman
05-08-2011, 18:14
I'm pretty much finished building this thing now. Got some minor things to fix, like the hole on the sleeping guy, the strap on the lasgun, maybe sculpt a rat as I've mentioned earlier. Some things depends on how much time have left in the end. Enjoy!

The Laughing God
05-08-2011, 18:39
That looks awesome. Once painted with the OSL I bet it will look amazing. I can't wait to see this thing finished.

Bladelord
05-08-2011, 20:08
Impressive.

Melchor
05-08-2011, 20:48
That is VERY impressive. I think even if you paint it without OSL it'd at least be a finalist. With a more than average paint job it'll be a serious contender for a Demon.

baphomael
05-08-2011, 21:07
That is looking fantastic!

lilloser2010
05-08-2011, 21:26
That's a beautiful scene, so unlike the over the top, bombastic images 40K is usually associated with.

No criticism, just encouragement and praise. The execution of this project is wonderful.

LilLoser

Student
05-08-2011, 21:49
Excellent work. There's so much feeling in it.

cyphertheory
05-08-2011, 23:58
fantastic bit of work there, love it

Serpent
06-08-2011, 06:12
Great job, very nice composition. Will there be casts of those three guys, perhaps? :)

TheConverter15
06-08-2011, 14:18
Amazing as always, can't wait to see it for real at Games Day :D

Fox Of 9
06-08-2011, 21:21
Can i see boot prints in the sand or are my eyes fooling me???

looking excellent.

David

FlashGordon
06-08-2011, 23:14
*********** awsome!

Karak Norn Clansman
06-08-2011, 23:15
That is bootprints in the sand/mud, right? I spotted them too. Good attention to detail.

Sgt John Keel
07-08-2011, 02:58
Not too bad at all, actually. ;)

It's really shaping up to something.

Guilliman
07-08-2011, 10:14
Thanks for all the praise guys! Know that a lot would have been different if it weren't for a lot of your comments and criticism. :)

That is bootprints in the sand/mud, right? I spotted them too. Good attention to detail.

I could say yes, but actually, no, it isn't. :p I was thinking a lot and hard about how to do the ground in the diorama. First I wanted a really muddy look with lots of bootprints by mixing sand and filler but I never got enough control over it to use that method. Finally, after looking at the same reference pic I've posted earlier in the thread, I decided on using sand. I figured the ground is frozen and doesn't leave footprints anyway. The bootprints will hopefully appear in the snow later. :D

lasergreger
07-08-2011, 12:01
This is so incredibly awesome. There is so much to comment on but the only thing hammering my brain right now is: "I bet the source-lightening from the fire is gonna be great!" :P

Commissar Molotov
07-08-2011, 12:15
My only concern is that the lasgun leant against the crate on the right has a very "fake" strap - by that, I mean that it seems to be ignoring the laws of physics, rather than falling naturally.

Aside from that, this is amazing, and I wish the Valhallans could be re-done to these standards!

Gen.Steiner
07-08-2011, 12:57
The Valhallans look just like the ones the Perry Twins made. Which is high praise indeed!

The rollmat the sleeping man is on looks just like the real thing, which is brilliant.

I predict a Demon in your future, unless the judges are drunk! :p

laudarkul
07-08-2011, 13:13
It's almost perfect...With paint it will be almost real...

Lord Cook
07-08-2011, 15:26
Superb work.

bomblu
07-08-2011, 22:33
Great work Guilliman, you've got some fantastic sculpting skills! Will be watching this thread closely ;p

Sniper_Killer
08-08-2011, 11:01
for the rat can i suggest making it thin and starved, as if its not just the men suffering out there. awesome work, hope to see it in WD after you've entered and won :D

Gen.Steiner
08-08-2011, 11:17
for the rat can i suggest making it thin and starved, as if its not just the men suffering out there.

Actually... rats in that environment are usually big, fat, and well-fed, with glossy coats and bright eyes.

Rats, lice, and alien analogues of the same would thrive in trench war. Even in winter! That's why soldiers hate them, and have rat-killing competitions and things like that.

Guilliman
08-08-2011, 17:17
At least rats make good food. ;)

HAven't really put very much work into this thing these last days. :( Yesterday I spent an hour spraying everything black (the fire white). Today I did some shopping and came up with this little rig:

I ended up with 50 pics like these ones:

So now I have a great reference for where the light and shadows should land. I've also been playing around with photoshop trying to get night colours from the valhallan squad pic from the GW site. This is the best I coame up with after trying several online tutorials:

It's a very low res pic so it doesn't respond to the PS filters very well, but I just want to get an idea of how the colours change when it gets dark. This also brought up the issue of what uniform colours to use but I think I'm pretty fond of the GW one. Green is a good complementary colour to the red/yelloy light from the fire.

Melchor
08-08-2011, 17:20
Excellent trick. For a moment I thought you had changed your mind and were planning to install the light into the diorama. Good thing it's only temporary. :)

Gearhart
08-08-2011, 18:24
Very good work don't forget to tell us that you win!

Haij
08-08-2011, 19:23
I'm impressed! This is actually one of the best blogs I've seen on this site. Good updated almost daily.

As for the uniforms I think it might look good with the brown/green colours Russia had on their uniforms during WW2 and green helmets. Maybe have another colour on the blanket on them to break up the colors. Just my thought and I'll leave the google hunt to you good sir.

Best of luck!

Generaloftheabyss
08-08-2011, 20:33
Wouldnt a brown for the coats work better? easier to show clear light contrast than it would be with camo , plus camo over complicates the peice , if youve ever stood near a fire , youl notice how everything turns into shades rather than clear colors , kinda like how 300 is filmed with everything shaded and muted , in which situations browns oranges reds etc would really show off the lightsource rather than detract from it.

Just an idea :) im sure whatever you choose well be smashing.

edit: this website has some great examples ; http://www.ravenlore.co.uk/html/the_spirit_of_the_campfire.html

Lost Egg
09-08-2011, 13:14
Great work Gulliman, I'm really loving the look and feel of this piece.

HN

Lost Egg
09-08-2011, 13:15
Great work Gulliman, I'm really loving the look and feel of this piece.

HN

shaw3029
09-08-2011, 17:00
I've followed this since the start and its all coming together so well. If the painting is as good as the modelling your win a golden demon I've no doubt about that!

Petay1985
09-08-2011, 18:18
Simply awe inspiring fella, the sculpting is second to none and the concept is refreshingly realistic for 40k, best of luck.

Monsterzonk
09-08-2011, 22:07
That's a really nice little scene there... Looking forward to seeing it with some paint on!

Cheers,
Monsterzonk :skull:

Cygnusmaximus
10-08-2011, 01:21
Lovely work, as usual, and great idea using the LED to get a realistic image of how the light from the fire will look on the men standing around it!

It just occurred to me that this diorama is missing something. Surely the soldiers of the 41st millennium wouldn't be permitted to stand around and talk so freely! I think a servo skull or other little spy would be appropriate, listening in on the conversation and reporting anything even remotely heretical.

Just a recommendation...

Colonel Gordon
10-08-2011, 07:07
The Diorama looks great..but way is the tutorial so dark ?

Dio´Ra
10-08-2011, 08:23
Amazing job, the sculpting work is just terrific and it already has a good strong atmosphere about it. Now with a lick of paint the atmosphere will only increase!

Guilliman
10-08-2011, 09:13
A servo skull is a very good idea actually. I haven't really thought of anything really good giving this a better 40k feeling. I do have some FW ones lying around, I'll see if I add one if I have time in the end.

I spent most of yesterday painting the fire and the barrel. Not sure hos satisfied I am but I'm pretty tierd of it so I'll see if I get back to it later. The hard thing about this detail is how the eye and cameras perceives light and dark. I want the fire to be the light center of the piece but also have dark colours visible around it. However, IRL when looking into a fire your eye adjusts itself to the light and therefore hardly sees anything dark around it. While on the other hand, if you adjust your vision to the dark the fire will be blindingly bright and look like a white/yellowish blur.

I've tried to accomplish a mixture of the two; inside I've painted the fire as if the eye is adjusted to the light and outside as if adjusted to the dark. That's why the bottom of the barrel is hardly illuminated on the inside While the holes are glowing on the outside. I guess I'll see how well if fits into the scene later on. Right now it looks rather bright as I place it in the black enviroment.

Munchy
10-08-2011, 09:18
Looking great so far Guilliman! It's hard to comment right now, but I think the flame effect you have painted is good. It will all come together when you start painting the OSL I think.

Schmacker
10-08-2011, 11:41
This is, quite frankly, amazing. I await it's conclusion with... Anticipation!

greylark
10-08-2011, 13:24
wow this is quite amazing

Gen.Steiner
10-08-2011, 15:19
That's a promising start, frankly. :)

hwd
10-08-2011, 15:52
well i just read the whole log with my face aghast...

amazing stuff here, can't wait to see if finished!

Guilliman
10-08-2011, 18:26
Thanks guys! :D

I thought the fire was a pain... After slaving over a test mini today, only to realize I didn't want the GW green I'd finally managed to replicate (way to colourful for the atmosphere I want to achieve), I was close to my breaking point. That's when my girlfriend pointed out I barely had anything to eat today. :rolleyes:

I'm now giving it another go with catachan and knarloc green, which seems to look great! We'll see if I'll manage to give you an update before bed.

SSG Snuffy
10-08-2011, 18:38
Low blood sugar will get you every time... Exercising patience & persistence are the most difficult & frustrating things about painting for me. I want it to look great the first time!

Ridicule
10-08-2011, 18:54
Ooh, this looks very nice so far! Keep it up :)

Munchy
10-08-2011, 23:27
I heartily recommend getting a bowl of cheesy nibbles and a stash of red bull and keeping it right by your painting area. I actually kept track of the number of cans I drank over last years painting frenzy... 56. And I got a finalist place, so it must work!

Note: I'm not sure why I am not actually dead. I DO NOT suggest drinking 56 cans in one go.

Pfreck
11-08-2011, 13:36
Excellent work on both the sculpting, composition and of course the entire concept. I'm very much looking forward to see the diorama painted. I like the fact that you used an LED light to see how the source-lighting will look like, very clever!

I'll be watching this thread closely!

Guilliman
12-08-2011, 12:39
I'm finally back with an update. Sleeping guy is finished. Well for the moment at least. Thing is my only experience with OSL is painting green around the screen of a space marine auspex. And out of all the OSL guides I've read, they all suggest painting the minis as normal before doing the OSL. And as my plan has been to paint the colours the way they change from the light of the fire I've had to think a lot about this. I finally realized I was way over my head changing the colours as well.

So I decided to do this one step at a time. First I'll paint the models with their "normal" hues in colour but taking the shadows and falling of the light in account. That's what I've done here. Then when all is finished, I'll go back and do all the glazes of red to yellow people normally do.

That said, I'm still trying to use only suitable hues of coulours without having to mix a lot of reds and yellows into them. I'm also tying to adjust the darkness of the coulours to how close they are to the fire. This will be more apparent when you see the uniform of the other two being painted much lighter than this one.