PDA

View Full Version : Hrud Rumors Summary

Pages : [1] 2

MrSatan
28-06-2011, 22:30
This will be a thread to compile and discuss the upcoming Hrud army thats going to be released with the new edition next year. This was brought to light in the 6th edition rumor thread by Ghost and backed by BramGaunt.

Firstly big thanks to Ghost as pretty much all so far has came from him but I am hoping the other rumormongers will also pitch in! The idea of a Hrud force has really caught my attention as I have always been a big fan of them. Please don't let this degenerate into trolling and wishlisting and I will update this thread as more info comes to light!

Firstly for reference heres the current Hrud info:
http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Hrud

MOST RECENT INFO (GHOST):

-Will probably be a white dwarf teaser list and then a full codex. Look out for hints in upcoming WD's
-The Umbra WILL be in the army
-There will be at least one vehicle described as a tunneler modified for war (tunneling rules a la trygon perhaps?)
-Rules for 'entropic fields' that probably reduce stats of those in range
-They have units named/such as Triads, Blades, Shamans, Paths
-They are described as a 'steamroller' type force withe tactic such as 'shoot retreat shoot , ambush'
-Background-wise they are described as an ancient race that are pissed because they lost their homeworld to slaanesh, the umbra are said to be fragments of their God (Q'ah) that was destroyed by Slaanesh. They hate Chaos with a passion.
-They are described as having distinct tribes with each tried bein visually different/sub-species
-Possible Lovecraftian flavours to the army, mentions of shoggoth-like creatures

Thats all, again this is pretty much all from Ghost so far. If anyone including Ghost has anything to add feel free to post/PM me and I will keep this up to date.
Many Thanks

Theocracity
28-06-2011, 22:41
I believe the Triad / Shaman thing was speculation from a different poster, not actual rumor material.

MrSatan
28-06-2011, 22:53
I believe the Triad / Shaman thing was speculation from a different poster, not actual rumor material.

I got it straight from ghost, so its in :D

adeptusphotographicus
28-06-2011, 23:00
Hrud? that would be interesting, but as a army... really does not fit any of the stories ever published thus far. seems terribly far out.

plus.. a new 40K edition? bummer.. there goes a good third of the players, the stores will stock less.. then we will have to buy a whole host of messed up codex and new models with massive price increases..
wish they would stop re-inventing the wheel and let us enjoy the game/hobby.
oh well.. pardon the diatribe. just seems a really stupid way to market new models..

rabblerouser
28-06-2011, 23:07
Oh great... space rats. Whats next? Space lizards? Space monkeys?

MrSatan
28-06-2011, 23:10

If you check lexicanum, they have moved away from the 'skaven in space' that they were originally. I expect the codex to move away even further

Oh and we already have space monkeys...

EDIT: and space Lizards

soviet
28-06-2011, 23:16
Do we know if we're getting space skaven-style hrud or weird bendy plant people-style hrud? I'm not sure that Xenology is necessarily considered canon on this issue.

I would much prefer the former to the latter, especially having seen Jes Goodwin's concept sketches in The Arcane and the Eldritch.

soviet
28-06-2011, 23:21

Too right. I'm just glad they never went with space elves.

The Warmaster
28-06-2011, 23:22
-Background-wise they are described as an ancient race that are pissed because they lost their homeworld to slaanesh

Sounds like a hard life, considering that the Iron Warriors also curb-stomped them during the Great Crusade. :chrome:

I'm so tempted to take this with a heaping of salt, but considering the Hrud are one of the most referenced (if not THE most referenced) races in the background with no current army list or models, non-Kroot/Vespid Tau allies notwithstanding, it's not too surprising. I'd like to see if this actually does go anywhere, especially if they keep the entropic fields mentioned on their Lexicanum page.

As a Chaos man, I'd rather see a Cult Legion codex/codices so we can get Berserker bikers and Rubric Terminators back (I'm aware that a formation including Rubric Termies is available for Apocalypse, but I meant outside of that without referring to house rules, like my WIP Codex: Thousand Sons), but hey, whatever works.

MrSatan
28-06-2011, 23:26
The legion codex has also been confirmed, but I have to idea if its legion or the hrud getting released first (yet)

The Warmaster
28-06-2011, 23:28
The legion codex has also been confirmed, but I have to idea if its legion or the hrud getting released first (yet)

Wait, when did this happen?

Oh, happy days!

MrSatan
28-06-2011, 23:31
In the 6th edition rumours thread along with a chaos cultist WD list I think

loveless
28-06-2011, 23:33
Wait...Hrud? Really? This isn't a joke?

Well...that's interesting...

madprophet
28-06-2011, 23:34

Comrade, what do you think the Eldar are? :confused:

Seriously, though - Hrud? Might be interesting, though the Hrud are by all accounts a very minor race.

I converted some "Space Skaven" a while ago out of plastic Mordheim Skaven as Special Scenario troops - I wonder which Hrud concept GW will go with, the ratman meme or the pod-people meme.

In any case, until they do something interesting like a new campaign pack like the Storm of Chaos or Storm of Magic they are doing for WFB, they'll get me for 2 starters and an IG codex until they retread the game again for 7th edition. I've only purchased 4 models in the last few years... and then only because I am doing some Cain novel characters.:angel:

The Warmaster
28-06-2011, 23:35
I hadn't read that yet. That made my day... and the WD list appears to be a series of major amendments to Codex: CSM, actually. Which will likely still involve Cultists, but still.

MrSatan
28-06-2011, 23:38
All thr info came from Ghost who has proved to be legit, alot of it was backed up by BramGaunt too, both reliable rumourmongers

Acheldama82
28-06-2011, 23:39
So Op Skaven even in 40k? Balls ....

Inquisitor Engel
28-06-2011, 23:48
I preferred when Hrud were vermin.

I don't like the idea of them having tactics. They should be more like Orks, but with a Tyranid mentality. Going off the description of a Hrud migration in IA:10 they just follow their own path and kick the crap out of anything that's in the way.

I don't want to see them with goals or anything, other than simple, basic, bestial desire to fulfill biological urges. Like really smart wildebeests. With plasma weapons.

Oh and no ties to the Old Ones or C'tan/Necrontyr please.

Walls
28-06-2011, 23:48
As they say, it's 5 o'clock somewhere... and apparently April 1st.

Ravenous
28-06-2011, 23:49
Man the rumours over the last 2 weeks have been stupid. Has GW launched some sort of anti rumour campaign?

soviet
28-06-2011, 23:58
Comrade, what do you think the Eldar are? :confused:

I was being ironic.

However, on an unrelated note, I really hope they don't ever try to do space dwarves or space undead. ;)

BobtheInquisitor
29-06-2011, 00:00
Do we know if we're getting space skaven-style hrud or weird bendy plant people-style hrud? I'm not sure that Xenology is necessarily considered canon on this issue.

I would much prefer the former to the latter, especially having seen Jes Goodwin's concept sketches in The Arcane and the Eldritch.

Considering the rumors mention the Umbra, which were invented in Xenology, I think it's safe to say that GW is going with the Xenology interpretation of the Hrud. They'll probably tweak the design a bit to make the models look more enticing, but they probably won't tweak them all the way back to looking like Master Splinter in Space.

dala_karn
29-06-2011, 00:06
there isn't enough salt to make this rumour sound plausible, it sounds too much like a fan's wish list.

However, on an unrelated note, I really hope they don't ever try to do space dwarves or space undead. ;)

I've heard that the Demiurg (squats 2.0) may make their way into the Tau Empires ranks, since they are already in their space fleets.

Darkblade89
29-06-2011, 00:06
I must say that I find this very intruiging. As a fairly new player in the WH40k universe i don't know much about the Hrud background or apparently confusing look/feel but I encourage any new codexes and additions to the game in general, especially non-imperial ones.

On the other hand: what ravenous said.

the rumours flying our way these past few weeks have been kinda spectacular. Too spectacular. Whilst the 6th ed rumours look very cool to me, the fact that they are so far off but seem so 'accurate' and elaborate makes me suspect the worst. It will be interesting to see how this pans out...

in any case: here's hoping for a new xenos army, wether it be in ratform or not!

cheers,

darkblade

MrSatan
29-06-2011, 00:12
there isn't enough salt to make this rumour sound plausible, it sounds too much like a fan's wish list.

Again this info has come from reliable rumormongers. It was first mentioned in the 6th ed thread and then discussed with ghost and posted with permission, I know that it has been an interesting couple of weeks for rumours but I am just passing on what I have heard from reliable sources. :)

Inquisitor Aaron
29-06-2011, 00:40
for real....no admech yet?!

rabblerouser
29-06-2011, 00:53

Now that would just be ridiculous. Especially if it were evil space elves. I am glad games workshop is so awesome at coming up with new alien races instead of rehashing stuff from WFB (that in itself being an interpretation of Tolkien's universe.)

If you check lexicanum, they have moved away from the 'skaven in space' that they were originally. I expect the codex to move away even further

We don't know that. Eldar/Dark Eldar/Exodites are very much space elves/evil space elves/wood elves in space. Space orks are orcs. Necrons are undead. I would prefer it if they didn't recreate fantasy races for 40k. I think they do better when they draw on other inspirations. For example I thought tau was a pretty fresh idea consisting of samurai foot soldiers, anime exo-armour, droid army tanks, allied with half-bird-half-african-warrior-predator-type dudes. It wasn't just "lets take elves in put them in levitating tanks."

Sandling
29-06-2011, 00:59
Reliable sources suddenly popping up all kind of early rumours can only mean one thing: The internal structure of Games Workshop must've changed policy wise again in regards to at least 6th edition.

madprophet
29-06-2011, 01:08
I was being ironic.

Comrade, you are to report for sensitivity re-education where you will sit in the BLUE chair where you will learn about Squats and Necrons :p

Revanchist13
29-06-2011, 01:10
I would prefer it if they didn't recreate fantasy races for 40k.

Well, at least we get moral victory in that WoC are just Spess Mehreens without guns. (Seriously, I was looking through the army book and could have sworn that several pictures were actually 40k Chaos Lords)

Baaltor
29-06-2011, 01:19
This will be a thread to compile and discuss the upcoming Hrud army thats going to be released with the new edition next year. This was brought to light in the 6th edition rumor thread by Ghost and backed by BramGaunt.

Firstly big thanks to Ghost as pretty much all so far has came from him but I am hoping the other rumormongers will also pitch in! The idea of a Hrud force has really caught my attention as I have always been a big fan of them. Please don't let this degenerate into trolling and wishlisting and I will update this thread as more info comes to light!

Firstly for reference heres the current Hrud info:

MOST RECENT INFO (GHOST):

-Will probably be a white dwarf teaser list and then a full codex. Look out for hints in upcoming WD's
-The Umbra WILL be in the army
-There will be at least one vehicle described as a tunneler modified for war (tunneling rules a la trygon perhaps?)
-They have units named/such as Triads, Blades, Shamans, Paths
-They are described as a 'steamroller' type force withe tactic such as 'shoot retreat shoot , ambush'
-Background-wise they are described as an ancient race that are pissed because they lost their homeworld to slaanesh, the umbra are said to be fragments of their God (Q'ah) that was destroyed by Slaanesh. They hate Chaos with a passion.

Thats all, again this is pretty much all from Ghost so far. If anyone including Ghost has anything to add feel free to post/PM me and I will keep this up to date.
Many Thanks

Frankly I'd be more inclined to believe you if Ghost or the others you may have mentioned reinforce this claim. No offence intended of course. :)

That said I'd be very happy to see a new race in 40k if not for the absurd amount of time it takes to rotate through all of the existing races. When I longingly look at the army roster for fantasy, I can't help but notice that only two races are humans. Three if you count chaos, but that's not too accurate IMHO.

brassangel
29-06-2011, 02:46
Hrud? that would be interesting, but as a army... really does not fit any of the stories ever published thus far. seems terribly far out.

plus.. a new 40K edition? bummer.. there goes a good third of the players, the stores will stock less.. then we will have to buy a whole host of messed up codex and new models with massive price increases..
oh well.. pardon the diatribe. just seems a really stupid way to market new models..

Have you been paying attention to the 6th edition buzz at all?

ALL of the armies will be updated (rules-wise), so none of the messed up codexes you speak of.

The price increase already happened, and they are always at least a year apart.

A third of the players gone? That's funny, because there are more now than there were with 4th edition.

Pardon the diatribe, just seems a really stupid way to come off like you don't know what you are talking about.

EDIT: Oh, and there's no fluff-reason why the Hrud should have a standing army of their own that poses a threat to any of the existing forces in the galaxy.

TimLeeson
29-06-2011, 03:32
Thanks so much to Ghost21 (Again!)

Finally I'll get THE army I've wanted for several years or more!! this is the most exciting news in 40k for me ever. I can't wait.... finally a NEW xeno race, and one that has snome good non-humanoid elements.

I know I'm not alone in thinking this sort of thing is EXACTLY what 40k needs right now, so it looks like - itll happen. Like it or not. It's happening.

SgtTaters
29-06-2011, 04:17
That's odd, I don't think of ambush and hit & run as traits associated with steamrollers...

Hahah, so exactly the same as Eldar? Hahah

I hope they're space skaven, they have a cool aesthetic.
Or something with bug eyes. Nothing in 40k so far has compound eyes.

Revanchist13
29-06-2011, 04:22
Nothing in 40k so far has compound eyes.

Don't the Nids?

TimLeeson
29-06-2011, 04:27
personally I hope they make the Hrud more weirder and creepier, less humanoid. But I'll be happy to have my Umbra army, and my fellow lovecraftian fan friends will also love this - I bet itll get a lot of folks like myself into the game too.

m1acca1551
29-06-2011, 04:46
Meh... will believe it when i see it... i think GW should concentrate on re-doing all the codexes before bringing in a new army...

6th ed will do what 8th did for WFB drive some players away, but bring older gamers back...

hobodog
29-06-2011, 04:52
Are they still gonna be space skaven?
Or have they moved away from that?

Wrath
29-06-2011, 04:56
I hope they're space skaven, they have a cool aesthetic.
Or something with bug eyes. Nothing in 40k so far has compound eyes.

they are too small to tell for certain but I think Vespid do.

KarlPedder
29-06-2011, 05:01
MrSatan it might be worth updating the 1st post with links to the posts where the people you credit the info to stated as such.

As for the actual info it's interesting to point out that several months back Stickmonkey mentioned a new 40k race in the pipeline but it came up just before stinger89 posted about the Demiurge/Tau thing and it just sort of got merged into that as if Stickmonkey had seen new Tau Aux and mistaken them as a new race.

Sephiroth
29-06-2011, 05:40
But I'll be happy to have my Umbra army, and my fellow lovecraftian fan friends will also love this

You should check this thread (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=308815), Tim. ;)

TimLeeson
29-06-2011, 05:45
You should check this thread (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=308815), Tim. ;)

Ooo thanks! nice find...I'll be buying 20 of those if they are for sale.

----

Also one should note GW are likely never going to update all the codices for each edition - it's been that way since 4th and it looks like that will continue into 6th and possibly the future too - so all those saying they should update the current ones - well it wont happen - and besides, some of us don't mind weaker dexes anyway since we play for fun - I for one am just happy to have the kind of alien race I've wanted since second-edition when I got into the game - that's a long wait!

Mjoellnir
29-06-2011, 06:51

Aren't eight space monkey armies enough?

Can't say I'm too stoked about that. The picture from the Xenology is ugly, I don't really need to see space Skaven either, the fluff is the kind of Lucius the Eternal "you may have won the game but I still win"-crap and GW already isn't able to properly support the current codices each edition, neither rules-wise nor miniature-wise....

ihavetoomuchminis
29-06-2011, 07:26
I don't believe it.

PsyBomb
29-06-2011, 08:37
I'd believe it. Besides the Ghost confirmation, there was a section of the 6th Ed rumors that stated one of the "divisions" of psyker powers are those that are "void-based", and whaddaya know, a new race upcoming that by fluff has a bunch of these void abilities.

MrSatan
29-06-2011, 09:10
*sits ans hopes ghost comes along soon to save himself trawling through the 6th ed thread*

Aluinn
29-06-2011, 09:16
for real....no admech yet?!

Yeah really, what's with this xenos stuff? 40K clearly needs more humans, and, especially, Imperials. They only constitute like 80% of the armies out there. That's a total travesty. I'm so sick of playing against these endless xenos armies all the time: Boring!

It would be really nice to see a few more Rhinos, Razorbacks, and Chimeras across the table from time to time. I mean, sure, Sisters of Battle are coming soon, but obviously no one cares about them.

EarlGrey
29-06-2011, 09:16
Interesting.
Although my first thought is that GW started this rumour to someone to try and find out who is leaking stuff.

Dribble Joy
29-06-2011, 09:49
Also one should note GW are likely never going to update all the codices for each edition - it's been that way since 4th and it looks like that will continue into 6th and possibly the future too - so all those saying they should update the current ones - well it wont happen -

Unlike 3rd to 4th to 5th, 6th Ed. has large enough inherent rule changes that an update is necessary and a WD errata is essential. Some armies would be practically unplayable.

Killgore
29-06-2011, 10:22
Im hoping the Hrud will have plenty of funky powers that can reduce the stats of enemy models, their aging field or whatever it is they use in stories :D

Take that T3 spacemarines!

ghost21
29-06-2011, 10:29
Im hoping the Hrud will have plenty of funky powers that can reduce the stats of enemy models, their aging field or whatever it is they use in stories :D

Take that T3 spacemarines!

i think its more entropic field

Moriem
29-06-2011, 10:32
I have slight hint of scepticism over this, but who knows. There may be something too this.

ihavetoomuchminis
29-06-2011, 11:01
I'd believe it. Besides the Ghost confirmation, there was a section of the 6th Ed rumors that stated one of the "divisions" of psyker powers are those that are "void-based", and whaddaya know, a new race upcoming that by fluff has a bunch of these void abilities.

I should have told that i don't believe any of the 6th edition rumours. That Hrud army is a rumour too, wich comes from the same thread, is a confirmation to me that all this is a joke of some kind of a fandex, and that warseer people gets excited for anything.

ChrisMurray
29-06-2011, 11:01
I'll wait to see some pics of models before I decide if this is a good thing or not.

Killgore
29-06-2011, 11:11
I should have told that i don't believe any of the 6th edition rumours. That Hrud army is a rumour too, wich comes from the same thread, is a confirmation to me that all this is a joke of some kind of a fandex, and that warseer people gets excited for anything.

Whats the matter with getting excited about a Rumour? Wish people would stop repeating themselves about how everything is a pack of lies.

MrSatan
29-06-2011, 11:17
i think its more entropic field

So is that saying that the Hrud will have a stat-reducing special rule?? :P

Hragged
29-06-2011, 11:20
Wow, they're making a Hrud army? That's fantastic!

TimLeeson
29-06-2011, 11:24

I'm glad someone else here is excited as me :)

also glad to hear Entropic-fields are in, another kind of thing iv wanted to see in battles - those kinda twisted and weird weapons!

MrSatan
29-06-2011, 11:54
Me too!!!
Love the idea of a Lovecraftian army.

KisaKisaryu
29-06-2011, 12:05
I was being ironic.

Umm.. I thought space undead are the Necrons

Arbedark
29-06-2011, 12:16
Umm.. I thought space undead are the Necrons

People really seem to fail to understand sarcasm/irony. :rolleyes:

All those saying "I hope they're not space skaven!". Why?

It might not be an "original" archetype, but very little is.

eldargal
29-06-2011, 13:34
I hope its true, but I'm putting it firmly in the 'believe it when I see it category'. Which isn't to say I doubt Ghost21 and Bramgaunt, rather that I wouldn't put it past GW to think about doing this and err on the side of conservatism and not go through with it.

Orkfaeller
29-06-2011, 13:38
Do we havy ANY hint yet if the Hrud are going to follow their old Skaven-like designe or the newer... uh what ever the artwork is suppost to be,... swampmonsterlizzard-roach thingy...

Castigator
29-06-2011, 14:01
Do we havy ANY hint yet if the Hrud are going to follow their old Skaven-like designe or the newer... uh what ever the artwork is suppost to be,... swampmonsterlizzard-roach thingy...

I would be willing to bid a fair amount that the basic "trooper" of the new army (or any new army) will be antropoid (two legs, two arms, one head, some sort of gun/cc-weapon), though stuff like the swamp-squid might make it into the army as some form of special/rare unit.

Going all-out Skaven (and compatible with the WFB-Skaven range) might be the hard-nosed business way to increase sales of existing ranges and get a new army off the ground without too many releases. I have hopes however, that they would simply plunge for some unique, new design.

ghost21
29-06-2011, 14:01

they have a distinct tribe system... think of how rottern plague monks look next to standard skaven

Sephiroth
29-06-2011, 14:09
they have a distinct tribe system... think of how rottern plague monks look next to standard skaven

So they have different sub-species to represent various units?

Voss
29-06-2011, 14:22
Don't the Nids?

Nope. At least, not on the models. Too detailed for GW to sculpt/cast

Orkfaeller
29-06-2011, 14:30

whoow thx,

works for me, I guess.

kabalite
29-06-2011, 14:35
So do they have the same look as the pic in Xenology?

GrogDaTyrant
29-06-2011, 14:40
I'm a bit puzzled as to why GW would do Hrud, even as a WD army. They have enough problems as it is just keeping the armies they currently have updated. :rolleyes:

Wyrmwood
29-06-2011, 14:48
Hrud. Umbra. Yeah, if this release goes through I'm sold.

Adramalech
29-06-2011, 15:03
I was being ironic.

Necrons=Space Undead... :|
They're roughly the 40k equivalent of tomb kings.

thomas2
29-06-2011, 15:12
This is literally at the top of the page-

People really seem to fail to understand sarcasm/irony. :rolleyes:

And yet we still get this-

Necrons=Space Undead... :|
They're roughly the 40k equivalent of tomb kings.

I think people should stop using sarcasm/irony, too much of the warseer population doesn't understand it.

On that note I find vague rumours complete assurance that GW will release not just a new army but a rather unusual one and are not sceptical at all.

Voss
29-06-2011, 15:16
On that note I find vague rumours complete assurance that GW will release not just a new army but a rather unusual one and are not sceptical at all.

Hey, it gives them a way to use all those invisible Frodo models. Just tint them dark grey and there you are. An army of shadow things.

omegoku
29-06-2011, 15:19
I don't mind the Hrud being rat men in space, but I do hope they bring a new way to play to the field.
The closer they are to skaven, the easier they are to convert I suppose!

The more non 3+ save armies out there the better.
Everyone has a Marine army, myself included, but i also love taking some DE, IG or Tau out for a spin just as often.
Its great to play (with and against)different types of armies, to keep things fresh and interesting

Wyrmwood
29-06-2011, 15:24
They'll likely have a special rule along the lines of 'Entropic Field', which will probably function in a similar way to the Waagh! rule, only doing an extra wound or something in close combat/within a certain distance, or cause a pinning test or act as a modifier to armour saves or. Well, I'll be interested to see how it's implemented.

Castigator
29-06-2011, 15:27
I'm a bit puzzled as to why GW would do Hrud, even as a WD army. They have enough problems as it is just keeping the armies they currently have updated. :rolleyes:

There is no automatism or claim to "updating".

Indeed, I would arguably much prefer if GW stopped the cheap re-runs of everything and anything they've ever published a Codex or Army book for and instead focussed on new armies exclusively.

Adramalech
29-06-2011, 15:29
This is literally at the top of the page-

And yet we still get this-

I think people should stop using sarcasm/irony, too much of the warseer population doesn't understand it.

You clearly don't seem to understand that text lacks inflection without use of distinct writing styles. Hence, sarcasm can be a little difficult to recognize on warseer. Even then, though, you have to consider the possibility that people are legitimately that stupid. :D

You should be careful about how you derail the topic to incriminate someone. On that note: Did I snub or hurt you in the past? Because you really weren't worth remembering if I did...

Demerznid94
29-06-2011, 15:39
I hope they have some sort of tunneling bikes, when me and my friend made a fandex of Hrud we added bikes that could deepstrike into the game because they tunneled up from below! :D It was awesome

soultaker
29-06-2011, 15:40
Isnt there already a hrud model in circulation? the one holding that fancy dark angel helmet? Assuming hrud and watchers in the dark are one and the same, because they sure look it.. (tiny robed 40k jawas)

iamjack42
29-06-2011, 15:45
I was being ironic.

You clearly don't seem to understand that text lacks inflection without use of distinct writing styles. Hence, sarcasm can be a little difficult to recognize on warseer. Even then, though, you have to consider the possibility that people are legitimately that stupid. :D

You missed the winky at the end of his Space Undead comment, then? And the context that it was placed in?

It's good advice for life that if there are two ways to interpret something, and one is either stupid or offensive, the correct interpretation is probably the other one.

Especially in a case like this, where it would really be beyond the pale stupid.

Odin
29-06-2011, 15:54
Hrud eh? Interesting. I'd have thought Demiurg were the more likely new race.

Will be impressed if they manage to pull off a unique style of fighting for the Hrud though... not easy to do with 40K.

Yeah, that's what happens every new edition isn't it? They started with loads of players when Rogue Trader was released, and each new edition has seen a third of players drop out of the game altogether, until sooner or later there will be nobody left.

Oh hold on, that's nonsense isn't it.

Xeones
29-06-2011, 15:56
While I'm always interested in the new models that GW comes out with, and I applaud the fact that IF they are actually adding more factions, they are at least doing another xenos race, I can't help but feel as others have said that they REALLY can't afford to add another race to their development schedule given their current track record.

Ideally, I'd say that EVERY existing codex needs an update for EVERY edition. If not a full codex realease, at least a "new edition patch" and a couple of new models. This means that for 5th Edition, (which came out in '08, right?) every army would be updated within that 4 year period. Given the number of current armies, that's 3.5 new codices a year. If the rumors are true that Hrud and Chaos Legions will be added, that's 4 codices that would need to be done a year for a full update every 4 years.

I'm happy for those that are excited about this new race, but the sad truth is that given current GW business practices, all of you will fork out a ridiculous amount of money for this army now only to have absolutely no additional support for 7 or 8 years while new editions make your existing forces worthless. Finally when you do actually get an update, they'll turn everything on its head making many people's Hrud army incompatible with the next codex format. However, at that point, all of you will be so starved for an update that you'll happily shell out whatever money it will take to update your army. Then the cycle will start over...

Sorry to be so cynical but we were promised that every codex would be updated before the next edition came out. Now it looks like that will only happen because some races (my beloved Tau likely among them) will be getting shoddy White Dwarf Codices instead.

My advice? Play space marines. They actually get updates each edition. Plus, new models for the multitudes of other SM factions can keep you occupied with cool conversions until your codex comes back up for revision.
:shifty:

BobtheInquisitor
29-06-2011, 16:23
I think it's funny that you think most of us who are excited about a new army give a damn about things like support and updated codices. We're excited because there is something new coming out, not just another flavor of the same old-same old. I don't care whether GW updates each codex every edition. It's a lunatic's pipe dream to imagine they ever would, anyway. At least GW is adding something new to their universe and giving players an option they never had before. And if the army's rules suck and never get updated, at least we'll have cool models.

Besides, I hear we can always play them as "counts as" Blood Angels.

Voss
29-06-2011, 16:30
Sorry to be so cynical but we were promised that every codex would be updated before the next edition came out.

I do love these promises that I've never actually seen in print. I mean, I obviously have some issue with GW as a company, but this really holds little weight.

What GW should do (or rather, should have done many years ago) is write army books that last. The continual updates are a bad thing, especially considering how weighted they are (SM get them regularly, other armies languish), as well as a cheap ploy to bolster sales. They don't actually add much to the game, as its a constant retread of existing material (which is dull) or a random retcon (which is annoying). A well written codex that can weather edition changes is far superior to one that has to be replaced every few years.

Grimtuff
29-06-2011, 16:30

This.

We can go galavanting around wishlisting for all these new armies all we want, but when GW simply does not update armies for just over a decade *cough*DE*cough* then the update cycle will be just made worse. I want to see both Tau and Necrons updated before we even consider any new armies.

Voss
29-06-2011, 16:34
This.

We can go galavanting around wishlisting for all these new armies all we want, but when GW simply does not update armies for just over a decade *cough*DE*cough* then the update cycle will be just made worse. I want to see both Tau and Necrons updated before we even consider any new armies.

:confused:
Both those armies _are_ being updated before any new armies. Your concerns are satisfied.

Xeones
29-06-2011, 16:38
Besides, I hear we can always play them as "counts as" Blood Angels.
lol

Well, I'm in the hobby more for the the miniatures than the game as well. I would say that's partly because of GW's treatment of the gaming aspect of the hobby though. If cool-looking minis is your thing, then it doesn't really matter when they update things so you're golden. For those who actually want to play a game with their expensive minis though, things get frustrating. :(

Grimtuff
29-06-2011, 16:39
:confused:
Both those armies _are_ being updated before any new armies. Your concerns are satisfied.

And?

Adding a new army will just exacerbate the situation when the time to update stuff rolls around again.

IF GW can up their release schedule from the practically glacial pace it goes at ATM then add new armies, but i'm not prepared to wait up to 12 years for an army to get updated. We have codexes that are 2 editions out of date, yet others leapfrog them and get more updates. Hell, even before 6th ed. comes out (even though 2012 is the logical time to release it, what with it being 40k's 25th) we *should* have all of the 4th ed. codexes updated.

But this won't happen.

Endobai
29-06-2011, 16:42
I like Hrud since reading Xenology - there is something about those nomadic, half-barbarians, scavengers with ancient history and one of Old Ones as a god/ally.

Another army? I am considering it if they follow the path started in Xenology.

Ozendorph
29-06-2011, 16:46
Every army (or army style, at least) added makes it that much trickier to fine-tune a tournament list. This is a good thing.

Xeones
29-06-2011, 17:00
Setting aside the issues inherent in adding more races to 40K, Hrud could be a cool race, but I also wonder how they will manage to make them have a unique tactical feel without rehashing things already covered by other races. Though I must say that recently, GW has gotten away from shoe-horning factions quite as much into one tactical style of play. You can now have super-mobile Air Cav IG with Valkyries and Vendettas, You can have super-shooty ork Lists with tons of Shoota Boyz and Lootas... Who knows? Tau might suddenly get tough CC units next time around.

I agree that "steamroller" in my mind doesn't really jive with "hit and run" and ambush tactics. When I think of steamroller, I think of Green Tide Orks or swarmy 'Nids -- the steady, inevitable advance the just rolls over the enemy lines --heck, even Necrons can do that.

Hit-and-run and ambush tactics seem more like Tau or Eldar though --lots of mobility hitting enemy lines quickly as specific points using superior maneuverability and precision to bring down the foe.

Personally, I hope that the Hrud turn out to be different than both "space rats in space" or the Xenology book depiction. I suppose I wouldn't mind it if they looked vaguely rodent like, but not over-the-top. I'm not really a fan of the "swamp thing" in the Xenology book either. To me, it doesn't look very intelligent --more like a mindless beast. And if the Eldar actually respect the Hrud, I'd think that they'd need to look more cunning. Just my opinion...

Revanchist13
29-06-2011, 17:07
Who knows? Tau might suddenly get tough CC units next time around.

Right. And GW is also going to reduce all their prices XD

Azazyll
29-06-2011, 17:08
More options are always good.

But I would have preferred AdMech first. And Genestealer cults. And Exodites.

Demerznid94
29-06-2011, 17:15
Has anyone seen the picture of space marines battling an Umbra Possible MC?

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/File:Umbra_in_battle.jpg

^link to lexicanium with the picture. Rather scary.

x-esiv-4c
29-06-2011, 17:15
Umbra in the army? That should be interesting...

Balerion
29-06-2011, 17:20
My bet is on a shameless return to the idea of Space Rats. Which is exactly what I would prefer (given that the Xenology illustration is the worst alien race design I've ever had jammed down my poor, suffering eyeballs).

Some clueless suit at GW WFB HQ was probably looking/gloating over the stellar sales figures of the new Skaven products from the past few years, and decided to ask his 40K counterpart, "So, are the Space Rats selling this well too?"

"Uhhh.... well... we kinda, well.... don't actually have Space Rats yet."

The new Necron design seems to be a wholehearted swing back in the direction of Space Undead, so I would not be surprised if the Games Workshop ethos of the 2000s, "keep WFB and 40K separate" has finally died.

edit: Also, I hope Umbra come 3 per box, and one of the models is just a sphere. A $20 plain plastic sphere. We'd be through the looking glass. ;)

Inquisitor Engel
29-06-2011, 17:22
Ambul had compound eyes. ;)

All Cing Eye
29-06-2011, 17:26
The way I see the Hrud Umbra army playing would be a horde of Hrud that have an ability that makes them hard to hit in shooting, and an ability that makes enemies weaker the longer they are in close combat with them. Then the Umbra would act as deepstriking fear causing harrasement units. Could play very interesting.

Chapters Unwritten
29-06-2011, 17:31
The legion codex has also been confirmed, but I have to idea if its legion or the hrud getting released first (yet)If they bump Chaos for these virtually inexistent characters it will be a pretty big slap in the face to most Chaos players, I imagine.

Kronos
29-06-2011, 17:38
I've just seen/heard this today, extremely surprised if not somewhat sceptical. But if's true then it would be good to see a new xeno race as an army for 40k.

Not sure on the previous concepts of Hrud though, I like the idea of a rat like race much more than than the springy almost plant like sketch.

brassangel
29-06-2011, 17:52
Sorry to be so cynical but we were promised that every codex would be updated before the next edition came out. Now it looks like that will only happen because some races (my beloved Tau likely among them) will be getting shoddy White Dwarf Codices instead.
:

No we weren't. We were promised that every codex would be updated to be brought in-line with 6th edition, not before 6th edition. I promise you, it will happen within 90 days of the 6th edition rulebook.

Threeshades
29-06-2011, 17:54
There rumours sound very hard to believe. But I think until further evidence arises i will wait and linger.

baphomael
29-06-2011, 18:06
Hrud? Wait? What?!

Tay051173096
29-06-2011, 18:40
I'll buy the codex and some umbra I love the image of one attacking SMs...

http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?t=11125

Erazmus_M_Wattle
29-06-2011, 18:47
I have to chip in here. The Hrud have never actually been described as space Skaven. The only image before Xenology was a tiny hooded figure with what could maybe have had a rat-like tail.

I quite like the Xenology depiction though I'd rather they retained the robes.

I don't mind the notion of a race that shares the ethos of the Skaven but I wouldn't like rats in space.

I think 40k needs a few more races. There aren't enough Xenos races. The background describes numerous races that only appear in the stories. I would like to pit my Iron Warriors against more than the imperium, Orks and Eldar. Okay so I missed Tau and Nids out.

If it turns out to be a baseless rumour I will be disappointed. It's a great bunch of rumours and thanks to the relevant rumour mongers for sharing.

iancw
29-06-2011, 18:47
In the 6th edition rumours thread along with a chaos cultist WD list I think

I wouldnt' really say that one rumour, inside another rumour is "confirming" that there is a Legion codex coming out. After all, there are things in the current 6th edition rumours that contradict what other reliable posters like Ghost have said before (ie in the 6th edition rumours it says there will be two starter boxes, one with Dark Angels & the other with Chaos but Ghost said before it will be Black Templar in the starter box).

scarletsquig
29-06-2011, 18:52
Bit of a weird rumour, but I'd be okay with it.

Beats "yet another space marine codex" any day.

Wraith
29-06-2011, 19:03

Ghost, are umbra to feature as generic units or only as special characters (like the C'tan)?

How many umbra models would there be in a generic army on average?

I'm just trying to gauge the composition really -- more like Necrons and C'tan or Tau and Kroot?

Thanks

soviet
29-06-2011, 19:11
My bet is on a shameless return to the idea of Space Rats.

Oh man I hope so.

There are a couple of Space Skaven concept sketches in Jes Goodwin's sketchbook The Arcane and the Eldritch. They look really good, basically WW1skaven more than space skaven - heavy trenchcoats, archaic gasmasks with eyegoggles, and long flintlock style rifles.

Warlord Gnashgrod
29-06-2011, 19:20
I too would much prefer to see the Hrud be "Space Skaven" rather than the "swamp thing monster" that was in the xenology book. Those concept sketches by Jes Goodwin sound great. But I guess we'll just have to see.

Xeones
29-06-2011, 19:47
No we weren't. We were promised that every codex would be updated to be brought in-line with 6th edition, not before 6th edition. I promise you, it will happen within 90 days of the 6th edition rulebook.

Alright... that's not what I remember, but I admit "promised" is probably a poor choice of words regardless.

Really, if White Dwarf starts regularly printing relevant gaming info like new unit stats and mini-codices, it could be a good thing. This combined with the style of errata they did for DA and BT where they brought them closer in line with other marine codices could mean that it's not totally necessary to have a completely new codex every edition. Also, if they lengthened the time in between editions, they'd have more time to bring everyone up to speed. The only problem I see with this strategy is the potential confusion it can cause when all of the info for a race is no longer just in the codex itself. Other than that it seems to be a generally superior way to run things.

Back on the main topic, I'd imagine that if the models look good, space rats or lovecraftian what-its could work equally well, but I'd imagine that there would be more interest in the former --no offense to TimLeeson and others who no doubt feel very strongly to the contrary. Personally, I'm not really looking to start another army, but I always like to look and drool over the new stuff. :)

Balerion
29-06-2011, 19:49
I have to chip in here. The Hrud have never actually been described as space Skaven. The only image before Xenology was a tiny hooded figure with what could maybe have had a rat-like tail.

It's not merely that original image, but the image combined with the tantalizing threads of background we've gathered over the years. Underdwellers, blackpower-looking weapons, powers of entropy/decay, etc.

Vandelan
29-06-2011, 19:57

Agreed!

If only I didn't already have too many armies! :cries:

Inquisitor Engel
29-06-2011, 20:06
I'd like to point out that a Hrud migration causes a MASSIVE Ork Waugh so they can GET OUT OF THE WAY and eventually destroys an entire Space Marine chapter. The Star Phantoms dislike Hrud.

Hrud in large numbers create WARP RIFTS so large they engulf large portions of space.

If the idea of essentially a disruptive, non-motivated army weren't so appealing (existing within the 40k kind of like a violent, territorial NPC, no regards for the concerns of other races... just survival) I'd almost say they were a leak to see where the holes are... A fabricated rumour.

Yes, this has been done before, though with smaller tidbits.

Dark Primus
29-06-2011, 20:54
Never heard of the 'Hrud' what are they?

Wraith
29-06-2011, 21:04
Back on the main topic, I'd imagine that if the models look good, space rats or lovecraftian what-its could work equally well, but I'd imagine that there would be more interest in the former --no offense to TimLeeson and others who no doubt feel very strongly to the contrary. Personally, I'm not really looking to start another army, but I always like to look and drool over the new stuff. :)

Going by the rumours GW have squandered the C'tan as an awesome Lovecraftian concept (like they did previously with Chaos [to a lesser extent]). The C'tan have become at best poor shoggoth look-alikes rather than great old ones.

I'm much more interested in the Umbra than the Hrud. What I want to know is whether they feature as a generic unit rather than a special character.

prowla
29-06-2011, 21:50
The Tau codex could be changed to Codex: Xenos, and add a couple of those Demiurgs/Hruds/whatnot into the mix, if someone wants to play as random xenos. I've always considered Tau a poor fit into the WH40k universe, in fact I'd be happy if they'd be cut off all together and the resources put into better use with remaining armies. And if the Tau are a boring, generic scifi race amidst all the grimdark races, it would be kinda silly to add another "random" alien race into the mix. IMO there's no chance of a Hrud book happening, you might encounter them in the RPG but not in 40k. Besides, I'd think that the existing 12 or so races, plus a couple of specific marine chapter codexes, would be enough for one game system?

Danny76
29-06-2011, 22:31
Well with Tau gettin gtheir new codex, Hrud could always just be thrown in there.

I don't see two new Codecies being released for a new addition.
Eachtime they bring out a new edition, every army needs to be looked at for new books, adding two more would make it so many..

EDIT: I believe Rick Priestly said something along those lines also in a recent interview.

I'm all for it if any of it is true, but it pushes back all current players stuff being released and they don't get extra players buying armies it just divides the current players into more groups... so the monetary gain for GW isn't great for a new army, with a whole new line of stuff.
Many players would pickup 2nd or 3rd (4th in some cases like mine) armies but they'd not get full new investment money wise..

Hokiecow
29-06-2011, 22:38

Isn't this a contradicting statement? A steamrolling and retreating?

Fugazi
29-06-2011, 22:51
Never heard of the 'Hrud' what are they?

Panzerkanzler
29-06-2011, 22:52

Not at all, they'd just be steamrolling backwards!

ferrus
29-06-2011, 22:56
But I would have preferred AdMech first. And Genestealer cults. And Exodites.
AdMech and Exodites are pretty much confirmed to be on the FW backburner for if/and when they get round to featuring them in an IA book. I suppose Genestealer cults are of much the same nature.

Hrud are more of an all new shiny, plastic-extravaganza, sell-to-idiotic-12-year-olds-in large-numbers type of release that the mainstream GW front does these days. And, in fairness, they do it pretty well for what it is.

If, of course, this rumour has any substance. Till our good friend Harry nods I suppose we are in the rank pits of ignorance. Although I did once openly dream on the forum that Andy Chambers dismembered spirit imparted such knowledge to me in a phastasmagoria of GW trade-marked images. Got warning points too, dammit - absolutely no respect for clairvoyance among moderators in our benighted age.

Goatboy
29-06-2011, 22:57

Maybe there strong in and against mid to short range shooting but weak in hth(Xenology has a imperial crewman kill one with a spade iirc)?

Souleater
29-06-2011, 23:34

They tank shock you then tank shock you in reverse...just to make sure. :evilgrin:

I'm all for another non-Imperial army in the game.:)

Starchild
29-06-2011, 23:49
Although I did once openly dream on the forum that Andy Chambers dismembered spirit imparted such knowledge to me in a phastasmagoria of GW trade-marked images. Got warning points too, dammit - absolutely no respect for clairvoyance among moderators in our benighted age.lol, did you mean disembodied spirit? :p

Anyway, knowing that GW is (allegedly) working on a new xeno army is good news. The problem is that they've had trouble supporting the xeno armies that are already part of the range (thankfully Dark Eldar and Necrons will be free from criminal neglect this year.) So if current trends are anything to go by, they should do well with a properly supported Hrud range.

MrSatan
30-06-2011, 00:01

That was word for word how ghost described them to me. I assume that it means they have a large block of troops relentlessly advancing and luring the enemy to commit then ambushing them (using the tunneling machines or possible the umbra). Maybe ghost could expand on the playstyle a bit more?

KarlPedder
30-06-2011, 01:31
People who get stuck on the whole every codex needs to be updated every edition are a little silly.....

So what your saying is that its really important that CSM, DA, BT, CD, CWE and Orks get 5th ed Codexes stat.....I mean we are moving into 6th but hey we must have every army wih a 5th ed book before that happens and never should anything new be introduced because it will make this extrememly unlikely circumstance less likely....

Bionicman
30-06-2011, 01:51
Not sure if i wanna' be labelled as a serious doubter but this seems a little unlikely to me. True, Hrud have been an ever present part of the background for at least as long as I've been playing (nine years almost) and probably long before but it's usually in the context of "these aliens got there arses well and truly spanked and as such they've disappeared into voidy nothingness for emperor-only-knows how long" rather than "these are a viable force to threaten the Imperium/ Forces of Chaos/ etc. I would never put a thing past Games Workshop, especially these days, but i don't think i see this coming to fruition. That said, I'm sure plenty of people will remember back in 2007, rumors abound of Chaos Legion(s) codex(s). That never happened, then the Terminator Lord God-specific characterisation sprue disappeared into a murky draw, and now apparently it's back on the cards coming out with the 6th. I guess the overarching point i'm trying to make here is...rumours are just that, can never ever trust Games Workshop to be reliable (or even rational at times :/) and i'm pretty sure there are a fair few armies (*cough* Black Templars, *cough* Dark Angels) that would sell better, and some, such as Chaos Legions that are cooler, then the prospect of a Hrud army. But hey, never say never. Watch me be shockingly, appallingly wrong...
:chrome:

KarlPedder
30-06-2011, 02:17
Course based on the rumoured schedule your looking at what Necrons>Tau>6th>Starter boxes>BT>Chaos Legions.....so if they appear at all I wouldn't think they would show up before second half of 2013.

Bionicman
30-06-2011, 02:35
Plus how ever many other Marines in between? And i'm certain there will be a new expansion at some point or another. And some big surprise that we couldn't possibly fathom but will probably, in some way, be related to Marines. I'm not being facetious truly, a great deal of Games Workshops marketing revolves around Marines. Slightly random aliens that have had their arses constantly handed to them by Marines since way back when don't seem to be a logical choice. Games Workshop hates villains that appear underpowered, or not fancy enough. Lost and the Damned anyone?

ago syb
30-06-2011, 04:30
I'm interested. I had my races mixed up, though. These are the brooding nocturnal guys, which was the race of stupid-violent ape things that gave the world eaters a run for their money? I may just be totally backwards.

MajorWesJanson
30-06-2011, 05:29
Not sure if i wanna' be labelled as a serious doubter but this seems a little unlikely to me. True, Hrud have been an ever present part of the background for at least as long as I've been playing (nine years almost) and probably long before but it's usually in the context of "these aliens got there arses well and truly spanked and as such they've disappeared into voidy nothingness for emperor-only-knows how long" rather than "these are a viable force to threaten the Imperium/ Forces of Chaos/ etc.

That could actually work. "Thought mostly wiped out during the Great Crusade, the Hrud have stayed at the fringes of society. Regarded as 'monsters in the dark' by the average citizen, they are rarely encountered besides their occasional massive migrations. What most species don't know is that the Hrud have been building their numbers, waiting to reclaim the swaths of terretory that was stolen from them during the Great Crusade."

Eks Bocks
30-06-2011, 06:09
Not sure if i wanna' be labelled as a serious doubter but this seems a little unlikely to me. True, Hrud have been an ever present part of the background for at least as long as I've been playing (nine years almost) and probably long before but it's usually in the context of "these aliens got there arses well and truly spanked and as such they've disappeared into voidy nothingness for emperor-only-knows how long" rather than "these are a viable force to threaten the Imperium/ Forces of Chaos/ etc. I would never put a thing past Games Workshop, especially these days, but i don't think i see this coming to fruition. That said, I'm sure plenty of people will remember back in 2007, rumors abound of Chaos Legion(s) codex(s). That never happened, then the Terminator Lord God-specific characterisation sprue disappeared into a murky draw, and now apparently it's back on the cards coming out with the 6th. I guess the overarching point i'm trying to make here is...rumours are just that, can never ever trust Games Workshop to be reliable (or even rational at times :/) and i'm pretty sure there are a fair few armies (*cough* Black Templars, *cough* Dark Angels) that would sell better, and some, such as Chaos Legions that are cooler, then the prospect of a Hrud army. But hey, never say never. Watch me be shockingly, appallingly wrong...
:chrome:

I'm starting to doubt this too... I haven't seen any posts from Harry comfirming any of these Hrud rumours.

MajorWesJanson
30-06-2011, 06:17
I'm starting to doubt this too... I haven't seen any posts from Harry comfirming any of these Hrud rumours.

Personally, I doubt it too, but it is fun to discuss.

Arbedark
30-06-2011, 07:03

While I respect Harry a great deal (for doing what he does and putting up with baseless criticism), he's not the be all and end all of rumours.

Theocracity
30-06-2011, 07:20
Personally, I doubt it too, but it is fun to discuss.

Yeah... that's kind of where I'm at too. I think it's so far out on the schedule that even if ghost's information is accurate as of today any number of changes could easily bury it.

But it's fun to talk about right now!

Samuell
30-06-2011, 07:28
While I respect Harry a great deal (for doing what he does and putting up with baseless criticism), he's not the be all and end all of rumours.

Hear hear!

I think the Hrud are the most likely non-imperial race to be added to the game. I can see it happening too, but not for many years to come.

Kalishnikov-47
30-06-2011, 07:29

You are the kind of guy who likes to divide by zero aren't you? :D

I personally have a hard time with these rumours, but as others have posted it passes the time by having something to discuss.

Arbedark
30-06-2011, 07:46
You are the kind of guy who likes to divide by zero aren't you? :D

No, but just because Harry hasn't posted I don't take that these rumours are completely fake.

Ghost has added his support for them, which makes me err on the side of them being true.

Yes, some support from other solid rumour mongers would be nice, but even Harry has said that he doesn't hear about everything that's coming up, so maybe he isn't posting because he hasn't heard anything.

Frgt seems to be much better at substantiating rumours that are very close than those that are far away.

DPA hasn't posted in ages.

Same with Scryer.

Kalishnikov-47
30-06-2011, 07:48
I hear you. GW has been doing some rather...out of character moves lately, which is why I believe a fair amount of the rumours coming out. Just some of it seems so farfetched is all.

SgtTaters
30-06-2011, 08:04
whoah, you know what's the best part of a Hrud codex
count-as Grot revolutionaries

It is very likely they'll be little guys with wacky guns. It's a faction that 40k lacks. (grots are two unit entries and ratlings are one in their respective army lists, and lacking HQ options)

yeah, they do have a place in 40k as an army of little scurrying humanoids.

Wyrmwood
30-06-2011, 08:27
whoah, you know what's the best part of a Hrud codex
count-as Grot revolutionaries

It is very likely they'll be little guys with wacky guns. It's a faction that 40k lacks. (grots are two unit entries and ratlings are one in their respective army lists, and lacking HQ options)

yeah, they do have a place in 40k as an army of little scurrying humanoids.
I don't think that the Hrud are small... How would you explain the fields of entropy? Umbra? It'd also be a horrible thematic butchery, you may as well use Codex: Imperial Guard... Still, a Grot Revolutionary army is always fun to see/play against.

TimLeeson
30-06-2011, 08:49
personally I hope they get rid of the legs and give them a worm-like form of movement instead, would look slimier and creepier imo. I guess they will update/perfect the design from Xenology so it is more appealing anyway..

Wishing
30-06-2011, 09:03
Not sure if i wanna' be labelled as a serious doubter but this seems a little unlikely to me. True, Hrud have been an ever present part of the background for at least as long as I've been playing (nine years almost) and probably long before <snip>

As far as I know, the first mention of Hrud was in the 3rd edition rulebook, the little picture with the robes and tail that also featured an ugly proto-Kroot and 2nd ed style Necron. So they are a relatively new addition to the game background - they didn't exist in Rogue Trader or 2nd ed, unlike the other wish list armies mentioned in this thread, like Exodites, Genestealers, Mechanicus, etc.

For perspective, the only current armies that didn't exist in any form in Rogue Trader or 2nd ed are Tau and Dark Eldar, I believe.

quantumcollider
30-06-2011, 09:13
Have Ghost and BramGaunt mentioned where they got the information from (perhaps they saw models or a testcodex)?

Because isn't it possible that this is just desinformation from GW to throw us off track?

deadly claris
30-06-2011, 09:19
so when do you think we will se the hrud ? 2013-14?

really hope sobs get a REAL codex first
then necrons templars tau and chaos dark angels ...then can we take abaut somthing new

Brucopeloso
30-06-2011, 09:25
So they have different sub-species to represent various units?

That would be soo cool!

sgtspiff
30-06-2011, 10:14
I like the idea of a new army and love the idea of a new xenos army.

Hrud will be as good as any other xenos. I like the idea of an army that is not "in-your-face-fighting" but instead sneaky and stealthy. I think it's missing in 40k. Would be nice if they'll be space rats but not necesary.

Umbras are fluffily awseom but it's hard to imagine the minis.

Poseidal
30-06-2011, 10:20
Sound like more Eldar concepts being put into yet another race.

fracas
30-06-2011, 10:37
Would love to see a hrud army
But am skeptical of a white dwarf list for hrud without models available or
New plastic models with the list with just a WD list and not a full codex

Borsil
30-06-2011, 11:39
You know, if only one good thing comes of these rumours it will be that they made me spend all day yesterday re-reading Xenology :D

Mr_Foulscumm
30-06-2011, 11:41
What I don't get...

Is that people are talking about the Hrud as if they're a Lovecraftian flavored army. But in the summary it says it's a "good" army. Now, goodness isn't something that really fits with either 40k or Lovecraft.

Also, wasn't there an old Hrud model from the 80īs that was later turned into the Tyranids? I think they even printed an image of it in one of the WDs.

Wishing
30-06-2011, 12:33
Also, wasn't there an old Hrud model from the 80īs that was later turned into the Tyranids? I think they even printed an image of it in one of the WDs.

My impression is that Hrud were invented in the late 90's with 3rd ed, so I'd like to hear more about this supposed 80's Hrud model if anyone knows what this is about.

Personally I'd love to see an army that isn't space skaven per se, but uses a lot of the same aspects - small, skittering, stealthy, and leprous and dressed in cloaks and rags. Weird sci-fi bug plants isn't really my thing, 40k's vision has always been more related to dark gothic fantasy than traditional sci-fi in my opinion.

Hendarion
30-06-2011, 12:39
You not by chance speak of Zoats (http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Zoat)?

baphomael
30-06-2011, 12:56
One thing I'm wondering, if indeed hrud will get an army list and Umbra will be in it, is *why* would umbra be in the list? From what I gathered the umbra arnt really sentient so wouldn't have their own agenda, theyre warp fauna that gets stuck I'm the material realm when ships to and fro between warp and realspace. They're kinda like sea urchins... but instead of spikes its shadows that eat your face.

Now, the hrud could potentially utilise them as weapons, but how would they be able to get round tuft umbras natural, and rather unique, self defense mechanism? Id be interested to see how they tackle this, if indeed the rumour is true.

If it is true, I can imagine some pretty cool minis for them - lots of amorphous eldritch weirdness.pi

sidcom
30-06-2011, 12:59
What, Hrud?? I tought they were supposed to live underground.. in tunnels?

Mr_Foulscumm
30-06-2011, 13:08
You not by chance speak of Zoats (http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Zoat)?

Ah yes! That was the one. Never mind and thanks :)

TimLeeson
30-06-2011, 13:10
One thing I'm wondering, if indeed hrud will get an army list and Umbra will be in it, is *why* would umbra be in the list? From what I gathered the umbra arnt really sentient so wouldn't have their own agenda, theyre warp fauna that gets stuck I'm the material realm when ships to and fro between warp and realspace. They're kinda like sea urchins... but instead of spikes its shadows that eat your face.

Now, the hrud could potentially utilise them as weapons, but how would they be able to get round tuft umbras natural, and rather unique, self defense mechanism? Id be interested to see how they tackle this, if indeed the rumour is true.

Two points to consider, 1) they are fragments of the god Qah. There maybe other sorts of Umbra fragments they invent for a possible force of them, controlling avatar type ones ect.

2) current fluff will likely change, evolve and be retconned to make them work for as an army. Afterall, It's GW we are talking about. I know it's not a very good analogy/comparison - but look at the chaos-androids and how they turned that into the necron army.

If it is true, I can imagine some pretty cool minis for them - lots of amorphous eldritch weirdness.pi

Me too :D

gorgon
30-06-2011, 13:13
What I don't get...

Is that people are talking about the Hrud as if they're a Lovecraftian flavored army. But in the summary it says it's a "good" army. Now, goodness isn't something that really fits with either 40k or Lovecraft.

I was wondering that myself. Not really seeing any ancient evil, elder races, madness, etc in the Hrud or Umbra. Don't wanna be a Lovecraft dork about it, but the description doesn't seem to fit. Necrons are the army with the biggest Lovecraft tie-in.

Not that I know of. Tyranids have been around since the beginning (in the RT book). Could you be thinking of Zoats? They were a WFB race that later became Tyranid slaves in 40K.

Edit: Ninja'ed on Zoats.

Lexington
30-06-2011, 13:19
My impression is that Hrud were invented in the late 90's with 3rd ed
Pretty sure this is correct. The first time I recall hearing about the Hrud was in the 3rd Edition rulebook, which had a picture of various "minor" alien races. These included a Kroot (which, humorously enough, spawned the joke that got them turned into a full-blown race), a Necron, a Clawed Fiend of Donoria (sp?), and a miniscule, hooded creature clutching a rifle, called a Hrud.

streetsamurai
30-06-2011, 13:25
personally I hope they get rid of the legs and give them a worm-like form of movement instead, would look slimier and creepier imo. I guess they will update/perfect the design from Xenology so it is more appealing anyway..

hell yeah, that would be really cool

ashendant
30-06-2011, 13:32
Pretty sure this is correct. The first time I recall hearing about the Hrud was in the 3rd Edition rulebook, which had a picture of various "minor" alien races. These included a Kroot (which, humorously enough, spawned the joke that got them turned into a full-blown race), a Necron, a Clawed Fiend of Donoria (sp?), and a miniscule, hooded creature clutching a rifle, called a Hrud.

The clawed fiends are in the dark eldar codex and if the rumours are true with the Hrud, all that is left to add is the jellyfish the insect head and the holders of those two weapon, from that picture.

Wyrmwood
30-06-2011, 13:35
The clawed fiends are in the dark eldar codex and if the rumours are true with the Hrud, all that is left to add is the jellyfish the insect head and the holders of those two weapon, from that picture.
The 'jellyfish' is an Enslaver. :p

gitburna
30-06-2011, 13:39
And i seem to remember thinking that the insect head thing was an Ambull ... ?

Pacific
30-06-2011, 13:41

Yes I believe so, presumably that started the line of reasoning that the Hrud were a 40k version of Skaven.

FerociousBeast
30-06-2011, 13:43
Okay, since no one has mentioned it yet, there's someone at BoLS insinuating that all of these Hrud rumors are misinformation fed to ghost to embarrass him for continually leaking info he's been asked not to.

Also, the Slaanesh connection with the Hrud is very suspect in my opinion. It's verbatim Eldar.

TimLeeson
30-06-2011, 13:58
hell yeah, that would be really cool

Yeah, the design needs more work imo, but could be really cool. The face I think needs a lot of work, it is too earthlike (insectoid). I'd take away the mouth entirely and leave it blank, and add an extra eye on the forehead. Worm-like body could be done in the same "ridged" style as the arms and legs were. If they have to keep the legs - I think they should give it three legs (even numbers of legs are too earthlike, odd numbers make them more unfammiliar) a bit like the Vore's from quake1.

Wyrmwood
30-06-2011, 14:01
Okay, since no one has mentioned it yet, there's someone at BoLS insinuating that all of these Hrud rumors are misinformation fed to ghost to embarrass him for continually leaking info he's been asked not to.

Also, the Slaanesh connection with the Hrud is very suspect in my opinion. It's verbatim Eldar.

As in this? (http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showpost.php?p=147449&postcount=24)

Alright, story time.

My "source" (let's call him Mr. Black because it sounds cool) has been leaking small tidbits to his friends for years, with the understanding that we keep things under wraps and not say anything until it becomes public knowledge on the internet. He's a cool guy and we want him to keep his job. One of the guys in my group is a poster on Warseer and he leaks like a soggy teabag, though. Mr. Black suspected this, but it wasn't that big of a deal because most of the information he shares with us is either confirmations of rumors that are already out there, it's small stuff that most people wouldn't care that much about (fluff, internal workings, etc). Well, Mr. Black has a laptop, and on that laptop are the next 2-3 unreleased codices plus plenty of other work-related stuff. When Mr. Black went to the restroom one day without locking his laptop, our leaky friend snuck a peak at the unreleased GK codex and leaked a ton of rumors onto Warseer. He didn't get caught at first, but suspicions were running high. Later as a test, Mr. Black told Leaky about some new information he'd heard from on high (all of it completely BS), and sure enough the next day it's all over Warseer under the same account name as the guy who leaked the GK rumors.

Now that we have confirmation that Leaky is a ****, he is being fed a lot of utter BS to see how gullible he is and/or how long it takes him to realize that he's been caught red-handed. I don't know Leaky's screenname but people who frequent Warseer might be able to take a stab at it.

That said, I haven't talked to Mr. Black in a few weeks and have no idea if this Hrud information is legitimate or not. Basically I'm just giving the rumor mill a bit of a warning.

TL;DR: Be wary of what you read on Warseer.

I actually buy that less than these Hrud rumours! :p In fact, someone with the user name 'Mr.Black' posted at the end of the thread which I found quite funny.

http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showpost.php?p=147628&postcount=40

Mr_Foulscumm
30-06-2011, 14:16
Sadly, I think that guy is on to something. A new race would be fun, but I just can't see it being true. (Seriously, I wish they would switch one of the many Imperial sides for a new Xeno)

Oh well, time to go be productive.

Sephiroth
30-06-2011, 14:17
Um... no one leaked the GK (I assume it means Grey Knights) rumours in any particular form... I'd have imagined it was the PROTOTYPE CODEX that was being sent across the 'net that leaked it all. :eyebrows:

streetsamurai
30-06-2011, 14:21
that's crap

the guy knows that he's a snitch, yet he doesn''t know his username

ghost21
30-06-2011, 14:24
cough shoggies cough

anyway the steamroler thing meaning slow to get started ie the ambush techniques, enemies fall prey to there entropic tech

btw im not mr black or know who it is and secondly i know what ive seen and im only asked not to post direct rules and stats so there ye go

oh i dont have a laptop just a tablet pc for work

streetsamurai
30-06-2011, 14:35
Ghost, so you can say if the Hrud are space skaven (booo) or more like in the xenology book ;)

TimLeeson
30-06-2011, 14:38
cough shoggies cough

anyway the steamroler thing meaning slow to get started ie the ambush techniques, enemies fall prey to there entropic tech

btw im not mr black or know who it is and secondly i know what ive seen and im only asked not to post direct rules and stats so there ye go

They'll be Shoggoth type things? jesus, are they scanning my brain or something?

I could see Shoggoth type things as shadow constructs made by Umbra.

Casuir
30-06-2011, 14:44

Its not suspect its the pre-existing background that was there before these rumours surfaced. Xenobiology describes the Hrud gods as "a horned hunter, a red-handed figure, a laughing jester and a hammer weilding artisan" and comments about their similarity to the gods of other races. Maybe its meant to be verbatim eldar seeing how they eldar seem to have been created by the old ones as well

ghost21
30-06-2011, 14:46
well i have this deal with thease brain removing aliens... you didnt notice you were in a jar for a few hours?

id say neither to the discription

TimLeeson
30-06-2011, 14:49
well i have this deal with thease brain removing aliens... you didnt notice you were in a jar for a few hours?

Mi-Go ? :D

Mr. Ultra
30-06-2011, 14:56
Hrud? Seriously?

No, I mean...

Hrud? SERIOUSLY?

crandall87
30-06-2011, 14:59
Interesting. If these do come out and they do hate chaos then I'll be buying some of these for my trophy racks!

MrSatan
30-06-2011, 15:23

These guys are sounding more lovecraftian by the minuit, total nerdgasm!

TimLeeson
30-06-2011, 15:33
These guys are sounding more lovecraftian by the minuit, total nerdgasm!

My thought's exactly :D

Plus going by your music-taste, you have good taste in general, sir ;)

x-esiv-4c
30-06-2011, 16:12
I'm curious to see what new fluff emerges with the Hrud.

GreySeerZ
30-06-2011, 16:19
Personally while I feel like the idea is kind of bonkers, I'm always ready for a new army.

As for updating armies, its not just the Codex that takes time to release, but the miniatures (sculpting, molding, casting, etc.) that cause releases to take so long. Lets be honest, at the moment the current new models are pretty fantastic. The detail is amazing and I don't really see how more could be fit in there while still being paint-able.

It wouldn't surprise me if GW switched from re-releasing entire lines of miniatures to updating 1/2 per codex release once the super old ranges are replaced. This will result in much faster turn around time for Codexs and would give them more time for new model creation. Lets be honest, the majority of their sales are most likely through the internet anyway (half of their stuff isn't even in their stores) so shelf space isn't a concern. Plus new armies = sales, that's just how it is. As for hrud...I don't know what to say, but as long as they make them very VERY different, I will buy them. I'm so sick of humanoid xenos (so basically everything but tyranids). I'm ready for something out there.

Mr_Foulscumm
30-06-2011, 17:12
My thought's exactly :D

Plus going by your music-taste, you have good taste in general, sir ;)

I still don't get how any of this is Lovecraftian...

It wouldn't surprise me if GW switched from re-releasing entire lines of miniatures to updating 1/2 per codex release once the super old ranges are replaced. This will result in much faster turn around time for Codexs and would give them more time for new model creation.

This would be true if the sculptors wrote the books as well...

Starchild
30-06-2011, 17:17
I still don't get how any of this is Lovecraftian...Well, think Chthonians, for a start... not strictly Lovecraft but definitely part of the "Cthulhu mythos."

Mr_Foulscumm
30-06-2011, 17:28
But the army is described as anti-chaos good guys. And I have a hard time believing that GW would EVER make a mini based on that ugly ugly Xenology drawing. *shrugs*

Eddie Chaos
30-06-2011, 17:29

Brains in jars appear in the H.P Lovecraft short story "The whisperer in Darkness"

other than that horror = lovecraft especially on the internet ;)

Wyrmwood
30-06-2011, 17:32
But the army is described as anti-chaos good guys. And I have a hard time believing that GW would EVER make a mini based on that ugly ugly Xenology drawing. *shrugs*
Assuming you mean ugly as in bad... Really? Really?

TimLeeson
30-06-2011, 17:35

Have you seen the Umbra? shadowy extra-dimensional creatures with random mouths, eyes, tentacles?

Hrud hinted to look like Mi-Go from Whisperer In the Darkness?

A hint at something akin to Shoggoths?

Mr_Foulscumm
30-06-2011, 17:49
Assuming you mean ugly as in bad... Really? Really?

Not a bad drawing, a bad design. Yes.

Have you seen the Umbra? shadowy extra-dimensional creatures with random mouths, eyes, tentacles?

Hrud hinted to look like Mi-Go from Whisperer In the Darkness?

A hint at something akin to Shoggoths?

The only image I've seen of the Umbra haven't been from GW, so I wouldn't draw any conclusions from that at all.

Mi-Go or Rats in space. It's just guess work.

Hints in a suspect rumor thread... soild :D

Mind you, I wouldn't mind a horror faction. But then, good guys?

Wyrmwood
30-06-2011, 17:53
Well, we'll agree to disagree there.

The only image I've seen of the Umbra haven't been from GW, so I wouldn't draw any conclusions from that at all.
Well, the images from Xenology are as close as you're going to get. Personally, I love them.

Where has it been said that they're 'good guys'? Opposed to Chaos (at least Slaanesh), yes, but that doesn't make them good.

Grimbad
30-06-2011, 17:56

You know, this occurred to me when I read the description of a Hrud Migration in Badab War part 2. Why are the Hrud using shadow power? Isn't that an Umbra thing?
And now, rumors that Umbra are in the Hrud army. Forgeworld knew something we didn't, I guess.

Maybe the entropic field attracts Umbra like warp drives do? In the IA10 account, it's not clear which effects come from the Hrud themselves and which are just the accompanying warp storm breaking up reality, but the entropic field looks like it's in there. The structures of the star phantoms' homeworld age and crumble at a lighting rate.

Mr_Foulscumm
30-06-2011, 17:59
You know, this occurred to me when I read the description of a Hrud Migration in Badab War part 2. Why are the Hrud using shadow power? Isn't that an Umbra thing?
And now, rumors that Umbra are in the Hrud army. Forgeworld knew something we didn't, I guess.

Or someone who started the rumor has also read the FW Badab War books?

TimLeeson
30-06-2011, 18:01

Mi-Go or Rats in space. It's just guess work.

Hints in a suspect rumor thread... soild :D

Ok, here you go, The one from the Xenology book : http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa207/embodiedscrew/40k_MinorRaces/Umbra_Awesome.jpg

And yeah, im basing the lovecraft thing on the rumours/hints..but of course if they arent true the point is moot.....but if they ARE, itll be the faction iv wanted for 15 bloody years :D

Mannimarco
30-06-2011, 18:03
Or someone who started the rumor has also read the FW Badab War books?

Theres a certain wisdom there but we're gonna choose to ignore it because it takes away from what we want to be true:

WOO!!! HRUD ARE COMING!!! HRUD ARE THE NEW RACE AND THEY'RE FOR REAL!!! GW TAKE FOREVER TO UPDATE THE BOOKS AS IT IS BUT WHO CARES? HRUD ARE REALLY COMING!!!!

Wyrmwood
30-06-2011, 18:12
Theres a certain wisdom there but we're gonna choose to ignore it because it takes away from what we want to be true:

WOO!!! HRUD ARE COMING!!! HRUD ARE THE NEW RACE AND THEY'RE FOR REAL!!! GW TAKE FOREVER TO UPDATE THE BOOKS AS IT IS BUT WHO CARES? HRUD ARE REALLY COMING!!!!
We'll finally be getting that Codex: Chaos Legions, Mannimarco. Wait and see... We'll finally be getting that Codex: Chaos Legions, Mannimarco. Wait and see... Will's coming, wai- sorry, wrong bit of IP.

Mr_Foulscumm
30-06-2011, 18:13
Ok, here you go, The one from the Xenology book : http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa207/embodiedscrew/40k_MinorRaces/Umbra_Awesome.jpg

And yeah, im basing the lovecraft thing on the rumours/hints..but of course if they arent true the point is moot.....but if they ARE, itll be the faction iv wanted for 15 bloody years :D

That looks pretty cool. :)

And as I've been saying, another Xeno faction would be cool... It's just that this recipe needs more salt.

It'd prefer Rats in space over the Xenology version of the Hrud though. Then throw in the gibbering horrors. I'd be down with that. Personal preference of course.

On a side note: Chaos really should be the horror part of the 40k universe... but it seems that ship sailed on by. So maybe 40k needs a new race to do it properly.

TimLeeson
30-06-2011, 18:29
It'd prefer Rats in space over the Xenology version of the Hrud though. Then throw in the gibbering horrors. I'd be down with that. Personal preference of course.

heh, I've noticed theres two crowds - the people that prefer the space-rats and hate the xenology one, and the ones that prefer the xenology ones and hate the space-rats. For me, I dislike both - I think they should look much more alien and creepier, I have a visual in my head - but it's kinda hard to put into words though (maybe I sshould do a sketch?).

ghost21
30-06-2011, 18:32
heh, I've noticed theres two crowds - the people that prefer the space-rats and hate the xenology one, and the ones that prefer the xenology ones and hate the space-rats. For me, I dislike both - I think they should look much more alien and creepier, I have a visual in my head - but it's kinda hard to put into words though (maybe I sshould do a sketch?).

id be very intresed in seeing that

Mr_Foulscumm
30-06-2011, 18:37
+1

I'd prefer space rats over whatever the Xenology option, but would really prefer something other than those options. :)

Wargorelord
30-06-2011, 18:51
Hope we dont get Space Skaven.
There are so many possibilities.
I want some squishy stuff and many tentacles.

theJ
30-06-2011, 18:54
As far as I know, the first mention of Hrud was in the 3rd edition rulebook, the little picture with the robes and tail that also featured an ugly proto-Kroot and 2nd ed style Necron. So they are a relatively new addition to the game background - they didn't exist in Rogue Trader or 2nd ed, unlike the other wish list armies mentioned in this thread, like Exodites, Genestealers, Mechanicus, etc.

For perspective, the only current armies that didn't exist in any form in Rogue Trader or 2nd ed are Tau and Dark Eldar, I believe.

"Noctural Warrior of Hrud"
http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/mediawiki/images/9/91/Other_dangerous_aliens.jpg

For the record, out of the proposed looks, this is the one I'd prefer - tiny robes with rifles - make them about the size of Grots and I'll be sold :)

TimLeeson
30-06-2011, 19:08
I want some squishy stuff and many tentacles.

Squishy and tentacled ? as far as im concerned, there is no other way to do it. :D

Spider-pope
30-06-2011, 19:17
Where has it been said that they're 'good guys'? Opposed to Chaos (at least Slaanesh), yes, but that doesn't make them good.

Exactly. Necrons are anti-chaos but i don't think any of the other races would invite them round for tea. Well except maybe Blood Angels.

Mannimarco
30-06-2011, 19:36
Exactly. Necrons are anti-chaos but i don't think any of the other races would invite them round for tea. Well except maybe Blood Angels.

And maybe the Tau: They tried it before but it didnt end well.....must have been a cultural misunderstanding ;)

TimLeeson
30-06-2011, 19:55
id be very intresed in seeing that

A rotting mass of insect-corpses gliding over the ground (like daleks) is much what I had in mind, really disgusting and putrid with rusted mechanical arms/weapons. Get a bunch of dead crickets and glue them together and put each bunch on some bases, and you'll have a rough idea ;)

ghost21
30-06-2011, 20:24
A rotting mass of insect-corpses gliding over the ground (like daleks) is much what I had in mind, really disgusting and putrid with rusted mechanical arms/weapons. Get a bunch of dead crickets and glue them together and put each bunch on some bases, and you'll have a rough idea ;)

sounds like my ex wife.... anyway....

BrazenRogue
30-06-2011, 20:32
Aye, what you've been describing sounds cool to me! I suppose I'd okay with rat-shaped things in space, but actual humanoid rats might well kill my interest dead :D But the Xenology look just doesn't look great to me either.

I'm not pathologically adverse to humanoids, though ;)

And it's been said before, but it is worth reiterating; "hates chaos" doesn't mean "are good people." Even ignoring the whole "no good guys in 40k" thing.

Balerion
30-06-2011, 20:32
Well, we'll agree to disagree there.
The illustration in Xenology looks like a Wampa infused with genetic material from a palm tree, and then caught beneath a steam roller. Hmmm, come to think of it, maybe ghost21 meant "a steam-rolled" force instead of "a steam-roller" force.

Anyway, that design is a tossed off piece of forgettable junk, and I pray that nobody at GW runs with it.

Well, the images from Xenology are as close as you're going to get. Personally, I love them.

On the other hand, the Xenology illustration of the Umbra is awesome, and models inspired by it (or even just straight-up copied from it) would look great.

Kendo
30-06-2011, 20:36
sounds like my ex wife.... anyway....

Word.

And to make this something other than a spam post, I support the introduction of more alien races. Countless races are frequently mentioned in fiction, yet we have had the same ones for years. For the most part, they all are similar, generic, humanoids. I know there has to be a practical cap for support reasons, but with the move to more and more product direct sales, it should be opening up shelf space for the initial release before everything disappears online. The more, diverse, creepy aliens the better I say.
I'll take Hrud whether they are swamp rats or swamp things.

Demerznid94
30-06-2011, 20:42
Seems everyone wants the Hrud to be comparable to Thyrrus Warriors. Minus the flamboyant colors, I'd presume.

edit: By everyone I mean those who want a non-rat and non-"bendy" type and by comparable I mean in design. Since I don't wanna be misunderstood.

TheLaughingGod
30-06-2011, 21:15
I dont understand. In a universe with sorceror mutations, literal demons, galaxy spreading organisms that are literally just a set of perfectly evolved apex predators, psychic assasin soldiers made by the gods to kill gods themselves, vampire lich eternal torture & rape embodied nightmares, giant ambulatory fungus who wants to kill and eat you, armored machines containing angry hateful ghosts who would enslave all life and feed it to the gods from before time, fanatic and hardy fish soldiers who would die to serve their masters before dishonor or retreat and armed with advanced technology, avian predators who eat you for your DNA to improve their vast tribes, and an empire of such cruelty and malice that they arm their greatest warriors as divine angels and slay all who refuse to worship their golden god-corpse, you want to play black spheres and jellyfish...

Its interesting, but its actually tame in comparison. And the models would be visually boring. If you fleshed out that idea, it would be unlike what you describe. Tentacles aren't any more
Alien than legs. Considering how little water there is in the galaxy, tentacles make even less sense from an evolutionary stand point. Case in point, tentacle monsters need to stay in flash Gordon. Its an outdated idea and its neither scary or cool

Inquisitor Engel
30-06-2011, 21:29
From BoLS:

Alright, story time.

My "source" (let's call him Mr. Black because it sounds cool) has been leaking small tidbits to his friends for years, with the understanding that we keep things under wraps and not say anything until it becomes public knowledge on the internet. He's a cool guy and we want him to keep his job. One of the guys in my group is a poster on Warseer and he leaks like a soggy teabag, though. Mr. Black suspected this, but it wasn't that big of a deal because most of the information he shares with us is either confirmations of rumors that are already out there, it's small stuff that most people wouldn't care that much about (fluff, internal workings, etc). Well, Mr. Black has a laptop, and on that laptop are the next 2-3 unreleased codices plus plenty of other work-related stuff. When Mr. Black went to the restroom one day without locking his laptop, our leaky friend snuck a peak at the unreleased GK codex and leaked a ton of rumors onto Warseer. He didn't get caught at first, but suspicions were running high. Later as a test, Mr. Black told Leaky about some new information he'd heard from on high (all of it completely BS), and sure enough the next day it's all over Warseer under the same account name as the guy who leaked the GK rumors.

Now that we have confirmation that Leaky is a ****, he is being fed a lot of utter BS to see how gullible he is and/or how long it takes him to realize that he's been caught red-handed. I don't know Leaky's screenname but people who frequent Warseer might be able to take a stab at it.

That said, I haven't talked to Mr. Black in a few weeks and have no idea if this Hrud information is legitimate or not. Basically I'm just giving the rumor mill a bit of a warning.

Link here - Post 24 http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?t=16104&page=3

As I said before - false leads to weed out leaks have been done before. It could also be sour grapes. This will be interesting to be sure,

Considering how little water there is in the galaxy, tentacles make even less sense from an evolutionary stand point. Case in point, tentacle monsters need to stay in flash Gordon. Its an outdated idea and its neither scary or cool

A you kidding? There's TONS of water all over the galaxy. We have an entire cloud of it encircling the solar system in the form of comets (The Oort Cloud), this, largely un-unique ball of rock is made of 2/3 of it, Mars has quite a bit, the moons of Jupiter might and that's just our solar system!

TheLaughingGod
30-06-2011, 21:58
A you kidding? There's TONS of water all over the galaxy. We have an entire cloud of it encircling the solar system in the form of comets (The Oort Cloud), this, largely un-unique ball of rock is made of 2/3 of it, Mars has quite a bit, the moons of Jupiter might and that's just our solar system! last time anyone checked our planet has the most water of any planet or moon so far. Also, we have liquid water unlike the frozen stuff elsewhere. Pretty big difference.

Demerznid94
30-06-2011, 22:09
But in 40k its a huge GALAXY, they have giant vietnam type worlds, they have huge frozen planets. Why can't they have liquid water planets?

TimLeeson
30-06-2011, 22:14
I dont understand. In a universe with sorceror mutations, literal demons, galaxy spreading organisms that are literally just a set of perfectly evolved apex predators, psychic assasin soldiers made by the gods to kill gods themselves, vampire lich eternal torture & rape embodied nightmares, giant ambulatory fungus who wants to kill and eat you, armored machines containing angry hateful ghosts who would enslave all life and feed it to the gods from before time, fanatic and hardy fish soldiers who would die to serve their masters before dishonor or retreat and armed with advanced technology, avian predators who eat you for your DNA to improve their vast tribes, and an empire of such cruelty and malice that they arm their greatest warriors as divine angels and slay all who refuse to worship their golden god-corpse, you want to play black spheres and jellyfish...

Its interesting, but its actually tame in comparison. And the models would be visually boring. If you fleshed out that idea, it would be unlike what you describe. Tentacles aren't any more
Alien than legs. Considering how little water there is in the galaxy, tentacles make even less sense from an evolutionary stand point. Case in point, tentacle monsters need to stay in flash Gordon. Its an outdated idea and its neither scary or cool

You don't understand?

I think that's fairly evident. To be honest, your posts like this come across to me - as very dissmissive and as if you arent really considering or even trying to see other peoples points of view. I maybe wrong, but it really comes across like this. And if I'm right - You wont understand because you don't seem to want to, and seem fairly set in your way that what we like is "boring". It seems like whenever someone -tries- to make a point - you just dismiss it, such as the water comment.

I totally respect you obviously like different things, but is it really that hard to understand that different people like different things? I find orcs, elves, space-bugs and power-armoured super soldiers to be Outdated and neither cool or scary as well - but again, people like different things. It's easier ti just say "each to their own" :)

Messiah
30-06-2011, 22:52
last time anyone checked our planet has the most water of any planet or moon so far. Also, we have liquid water unlike the frozen stuff elsewhere. Pretty big difference.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2003902/Research-finds-young-stars-blast-water-space-120-000mph.html

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2010/06/100614-moon-water-hundred-lunar-proceedings-science/

Scribe of Khorne
30-06-2011, 22:59
TimLeeson, what should I read (interweb sources please!) so that I can 'get it'. I do not mean to say this dismissively or with any kind of a patronizing tone, I actually am interested in differing view points and would like to have an idea of where you are coming from.

The little I know of lovecraftian/cthulu type horror I already have a source for, Chaos Gods. Now, yes visually they are obviously different (though the Chaos Spawn does fill in as 'tentacled madness made real') I just wonder what kind of a niche in a philosophical stance they can fill that has not already been done in 40K.

I guess what I wonder is, what could Hrud/Umbra mean or stand for, in the context of the existing factions?

TimLeeson
30-06-2011, 23:09
TimLeeson, what should I read (interweb sources please!) so that I can 'get it'. I do not mean to say this dismissively or with any kind of a patronizing tone, I actually am interested in differing view points and would like to have an idea of where you are coming from.

The little I know of lovecraftian/cthulu type horror I already have a source for, Chaos Gods. Now, yes visually they are obviously different (though the Chaos Spawn does fill in as 'tentacled madness made real') I just wonder what kind of a niche in a philosophical stance they can fill that has not already been done in 40K.

I guess what I wonder is, what could Hrud/Umbra mean or stand for, in the context of the existing factions?

The visual niche is enjoyable to those who like a sense of "Randomness", ever heard the phrase "beauty in chaos" ? guess it's a bit like that, for me it is the sillohette I find visually appealing, a simple sillohette of say a humanoid just does not appeal to me. It's very much about the overall shape and design I find exciting.

In a more general/conventiona snese - It's the same reason I like say for example the Daleks from Dr who, It's the shape and design/sillohette is very appealing - I use Daleks as an example as they seem to be the most popular and most loved non-humanoid alien in popular-culture. I know they lack symmetry, but are very alien still.

Yeah, Chaos and Necrons do fill in those niches from a phillisophical point of view - so you are right that Hrud/Umbra would have to be different in that context. From the fluff however they seem more like the shadowy and ultra-stealthy type niche with weird weaponry (entropic-fields that cause mass-ageing ect) - I guess you could say Eldar or Tau fill in that sort of niche, but they are more upfront about it - but, what if there are rules that prevent line of sight making them invisible? and of course entropic-fields - I could see them being a race that win by tactical-avoidance and weakening the enemy rather than using weapons - before sending in terror type stuff (like umbra) to finish them off.

Hope that helps! :) I really should be sleeping but insomnia kicks in - so I apologise if my phrasing comes across in an offensive way.

Light and Fluffy Time
01-07-2011, 00:09
Alright, story time.

So, someone has spent all that time and effort writing up 6th edition, hrud, chaos, etc rumours just to spite one guy?

Sorry, but this all seems very silly.

Bestial Fury
01-07-2011, 00:22
So, someone has spent all that time and effort writing up 6th edition, hrud, chaos, etc rumours just to spite one guy?

We know for a fact each of those is compromised or making assumptions?

Gensuke626
01-07-2011, 00:40

given the length of the rumors for Hrud and 6th ed...it totally seems like something that 4chan's /tg/ board could produce in like...an hour tops.

Shatterclaw
01-07-2011, 00:59
In some respects i wouldn't mind if 6th ed is just a rumor. I mean it will happen at some point in time, give me another year or two and i might welcome the idea.. just not at that place right now.

It would be interesting if all three rumors where a Gee Dub tactic to see who are there security leaks, and it would fit in with there crack down on info till a month before hand.

Now that the community knows this, what else would they try?

We know for a fact each of those is compromised or making assumptions?

Shatterclaw
01-07-2011, 01:26
Okay, they Hate chaos.. would they see the
Space Marines in a different light then the Chaos marines?
The Chaos marines did come from the same place as the Space marines.. And looking at how the Empire deals with other.. it possible they may not see a differances other then some are blue.. or blue ish.. but most are red with spikes.. :chrome::shifty:

Aye, what you've been describing sounds cool to me! I suppose I'd okay with rat-shaped things in space, but actual humanoid rats might well kill my interest dead :D But the Xenology look just doesn't look great to me either.

I'm not pathologically adverse to humanoids, though ;)

And it's been said before, but it is worth reiterating; "hates chaos" doesn't mean "are good people." Even ignoring the whole "no good guys in 40k" thing.

The Dude
01-07-2011, 01:27
Sounds more like something a jaded and liklely recently banned ex-Warseer member might say in order to try and "hurt" what is, regardless of what "some people" may say or think, one of if not the most popular tabletop gaming forums on the internet.

Mannimarco
01-07-2011, 01:35
Theres just something about the plethora of rumours we have over the past few days. Remember GW have locked down on rumours really tight (wasnt that long ago we were all complaining about the rumour lockdown) so the fact that all of these rumours have come out in such a short space of time just strikes me as more than a little odd.

Maybe Im just getting cynical in my old age but Im not prepared to do my happy dance just yet because of the supposed Hrud army and the supposed tear down of the rules and making things more complex and not the over simplified "we are in the business of selling toy soldiers to children" we have come to expect from the past few years.

So we arnt 100% sure on what the black boxes are going to contain or have much concrete info on whats going on because of the rumour lockdown but now all of a sudden we know for a fact the Hrud are coming and we know what the 6th ed rule set is going to look like?

Would it be great if it happened? Of course it would but remember that old adage: If it sounds to good to be true it probably is.

BrazenRogue
01-07-2011, 01:58
Okay, they Hate chaos.. would they see the
Space Marines in a different light then the Chaos marines?
The Chaos marines did come from the same place as the Space marines.. And looking at how the Empire deals with other.. it possible they may not see a differances other then some are blue.. or blue ish.. but most are red with spikes.. :chrome::shifty:

Well, the difference between Imperial and Chaos marines is a little bigger than the "I hate space marines" crowd would have you think ;) But what your suggesting is that they'd hate humans because humans can turn to chaos. By that logic, they'd hate pretty much every species out there.

Which they might, for all we know. But I imagine they'd be a little more sensible than that. It's not like anyone ever really needs an excuse to go to war with people other than their usuals in this setting.

Sounds more like something a jaded and liklely recently banned ex-Warseer member might say in order to try and "hurt" what is, regardless of what "some people" may say or think, one of if not the most popular tabletop gaming forums on the internet.

Which was my first thought. Ghost says the above doesn't concern him, and I see no reason to doubt him.

Ouroborus
01-07-2011, 02:04
I have the suspicion that this is just a big fake rumor...

Malcontent
01-07-2011, 02:12
-Background-wise they are described as an ancient race that are pissed because they lost their homeworld to slaanesh, the umbra are said to be fragments of their God (Q'ah) that was destroyed by Slaanesh.

And here is the reason I call shenanigans on this rumor, how can the Hrud be an ancient race that lost their homeworld to Slaanesh, when Slaanesh is only 10k years old. The only plausible explanation is that they deep in Eldar territory when The Fall happened, and I somehow doubt that the Eldar would let them live, especially towards the end of the Eldar civilization.

The Dude
01-07-2011, 02:16
And here is the reason I call shenanigans on this rumor, how can the Hrud be an ancient race that lost their homeworld to Slaanesh, when Slaanesh is only 10k years old.

How can I be a 31 year old man who lost his car keys when I only got my car a year ago?

:eyebrows:

Mannimarco
01-07-2011, 02:18
And here is the reason I call shenanigans on this rumor, how can the Hrud be an ancient race that lost their homeworld to Slaanesh, when Slaanesh is only 10k years old. The only plausible explanation is that they deep in Eldar territory when The Fall happened, and I somehow doubt that the Eldar would let them live, especially towards the end of the Eldar civilization.

Because they existed before Slaanesh was born 10k years ago.

TheLaughingGod
01-07-2011, 02:33

valid point, as the center of the Eldar empire is what was consumed by Slaanesh,but I think they had co-existent races. They only had to not be a threat. That or its because Chewbacca is a Wookie and he lives on Kashyyk

jdp
01-07-2011, 02:41

Well Jes Goodwin did the initial work on Hrud aka space skaven back in 1991. Very cool steampunk look about them. There are sketches and dates in the Gothic and Eldritch of these guys about halfway through the book.

If GW went down this route with them I could see me starting my first new 40k army in 6 years...

Brotheroracle
01-07-2011, 03:12
I wonder if the hurd can be the true Mon-kiegh? I mean its mentioned in the fluff that the word used for humans goes back far before it was used for humans. I mean it would be kind of nifty if the Eldar also hated them but not just because they are an obviously inferior race, but because they had cultural disagreements over the nature of the gods they worshiped.

Also the Chronos for dark eldar drains the life out of what it attacks cauing them to age super fast. So the entropic field thing wouldn't be totally unique to them.

SgtTaters
01-07-2011, 03:14
Well Jes Goodwin did the initial work on Hrud aka space skaven back in 1991. Very cool steampunk look about them. There are sketches and dates in the Gothic and Eldritch of these guys about halfway through the book.

If GW went down this route with them I could see me starting my first new 40k army in 6 years...

You don't even have to wait, half of the skaven already fit into 40k hahah.

looking at the old old old Js notes we have...

jezzails for footsoldiers. Sleeves are used for unit markings. grenadiers with poison/plague/toxin grenades.

Born Again
01-07-2011, 03:58

People should stop drawing this conclusion that Jes began working on 'Hrud' in 1991. What the book contains is some sketches for carrying over the Skaven in to 40k, like many races where in the early days (eg; Zoats). This has nothing at all to do with the Hrud, who made their first appearance in a very roughy sketch in the 3rd edition book in 1998. Any correlation between this drawing and the concept of Skaven is entirely fan-made, based on a couple of squiggles in the sketch that some people interpreted as a tail. All other information we've been given on them since them seems to discount the Skaven likeness, so I don't know why it persists so heavily.

Grimbad
01-07-2011, 04:19

People should stop drawing this conclusion that Jes began working on 'Hrud' in 1991. What the book contains is some sketches for carrying over the Skaven in to 40k, like many races where in the early days (eg; Squats). Though it isn't Hrud by name, this has a lot to do with the Hrud, who made their first appearance in a very roughy sketch in the 3rd edition book in 1998. Any correlation between this drawing and the concept of Skaven is fairly obvious, based a really blatant tail in the sketch that some people obstinately refuse to recognize, the size and posture, and the crude-looking rifle. All other information we've been given on them since them seems to support the Skaven likeness by describing Hrud as nocturnal, subterranean, verminlike and so on, so I don't know why the resistance persists so heavily.

Regardless, they probably won't be space skaven when they finally appear. They also probably won't be 'bendies,' as even xenology admitted that was a crude sketch of a race that was impossible to accurately depict.

Inquisitor Engel
01-07-2011, 04:30

Hrud, would be the leak I would assume is done to find the leak.

There were several Eldar Codex rumours when it was redone last that were leaked to find certain sources of leaks.

Spider-pope
01-07-2011, 04:55
Alright, story time.

What a lovely little story. I like the part where he knows the leak is a leak on Warseer but doesnt know his screen name, despite them being such good friends who all hang out with laptops full of Games Workshops upcoming codexs. And of course the little caveat at the end making sure he can't be doubted even if the Hrud stuff is true.

I'm sceptical of the Hrud stuff, but this little tale is so full of ******** there are roses growing on my keyboard. Laptops full of secrets laying around heh, this is GW not the British Government we are talking about.

Inquisitor Engel
01-07-2011, 05:50
Laptops full of secrets laying around heh, this is GW not the British Government we are talking about.

This is, in fact, how GW playtesting works.

Playtesters get sent various drafts of rules/codexes that they then test from. Some small changes are just posted to emails and whatnot.

Each actual playtester in contact with GW has a group who all sign NDA's and test the PDF's/tweaks GW sends the playtester. A smart playtester, who likes the gig (free product!) prints the PDF's off and collects them at the end of the games. A dumb one leaves the electronic for people to copy/email etc.

I'm not saying the story is 100%, it's equally as vague as the Hrud rumours but the Hrud do sound suspiciously like a test leak, rather than something true.

Mr_Foulscumm
01-07-2011, 11:55
I didn't get my hopes up. But it's still slightly sad. Also, stopping leaks seem like such a pointless undertaking. This is after all, not life or death unless you're 28mm tall.

Idaan
01-07-2011, 12:53
And here is the reason I call shenanigans on this rumor, how can the Hrud be an ancient race that lost their homeworld to Slaanesh, when Slaanesh is only 10k years old.Read "Xenology". Everything is explained there.

The only plausible explanation is that they deep in Eldar territory when The Fall happened, and I somehow doubt that the Eldar would let them live, especially towards the end of the Eldar civilization.
You mean like humans? Who, as we all know, were left alone by the Eldar.

BrazenRogue
01-07-2011, 12:56
See, given the direction GW have been going lately I don't find it all that hard to believe that Hrud are in the pipeline or any of Ghost's other rumours. Of course, there is always the possibility that Ghost (or any other rumour-monger) is being fed misinformation to tap leaks, but by his own admission he has only been told not to post specific things.

This could all be nonsense. That's always a possibility with any rumour, but it doesn't stop us floating here and discussing it. Worst case scenario? Hrud aren't in the pipeline, but GW realises that there's a lot of interest in them.

TimLeeson
01-07-2011, 13:03
See, given the direction GW have been going lately I don't find it all that hard to believe that Hrud are in the pipeline or any of Ghost's other rumours. Of course, there is always the possibility that Ghost (or any other rumour-monger) is being fed misinformation to tap leaks, but by his own admission he has only been told not to post specific things.

This could all be nonsense. That's always a possibility with any rumour, but it doesn't stop us floating here and discussing it. Worst case scenario? Hrud aren't in the pipeline, but GW realises that there's a lot of interest in them.

Indeed!! and it's a lot of fun to speculate and think about :) so even if it doesnt come to fruition, I'll of had some fun debating and discussing the rumours here. :D

Leggy
01-07-2011, 13:26
I went to BOLD and read a few of LittleBirds other posts. One claimed, without a hint of irony, that in the new Necron codex, Blood Angels would be their allies. I'm disinclined to put too much faith in his offerings.

BrazenRogue
01-07-2011, 13:27
Indeed!! and it's a lot of fun to speculate and think about :) so even if it doesnt come to fruition, I'll of had some fun debating and discussing the rumours here. :D

Exactly my way of thinking. Heck, it's already given me some spiffy ideas for Dark Heresy...

KarlPedder
01-07-2011, 13:32
I know if I was putting out misinfo to try and tap 40k rumours leaks it wouldn't be vague rumours about a new army. It would be extremely credible but contraversial rules that were ultimatly fakes. NEW 40K ARMY CODEX HRUD 411!!!!! just doesn't seem like its a very efficient net.

There is just too much chance that some wishlister seeking attention could post about some fantasy Codex Hrud you would't want to "plug a leak" with that kind of info if you were to use a new race it would be better to use one that has never appeared in the lore throw in some specifics and if that pops up on the web chances are its a leak.

Mr_Foulscumm
01-07-2011, 13:48
So Hrud is real, 6th ed is fake... :evilgrin:

TimLeeson
01-07-2011, 14:05
Exactly my way of thinking. Heck, it's already given me some spiffy ideas for Dark Heresy...

Same here, I may end up sculpting and self-casting my own depiction of them if the rumours end up false - so id hardly call it a bad thing true or not. anything that inspires or gets people creative is a good thing imo.