PDA

View Full Version : Vostroyans?

Icewalker
04-04-2006, 21:31
My questions to you: Who are these guys? Why do they bear resemblence to Soviets (at least I thought they looked lke em?) and are they a new IG company? I freaked out when I saw "14 boxes left" and thought that they were a limited edition sort of thing. Answeres s'il vous plait.

Xisor
04-04-2006, 21:57
The story has it they are a regiment on friendly and happy terms with the Cult Mechanicus. I can't honestly say more as I don't remember! :rolleyes:

It'd be interesting to hear about'em though.

Xisor

Pilgrim
04-04-2006, 22:43
They are a new regiment invented for the 'Cities of Death' supplement. They look like soviets on purpose, since they are just the latest in an unfortunate (to my mind) line of historical troops released as Imperial Guard troops.

The Vostroyans are, according to people familiar with the subject, Tzarist Russian soldiers. Then there were previously the Valhallans (WW2 Russians), Tallarns (Lawrence of Arabia), Catachans (Rambo), Praetorians (Boer War British) old Cadian Shock Troops (and to a lesser extent the new ones) (American army), Steel Legion (WW2 Germans) and the Mordians (I forget these, but I have the feeling they were Prussians)

Any information on them is going to be in the 'Cities of Death' book, in all likelihood.

Adrian

Minister
04-04-2006, 23:31
Mordians are a dead ringer for the WW2-era Soviet dress uniform (I found an old propaganda painting of Marshal Zukov which confirmed it for me). Right down to the studio colour scheme. They can also look scarily like US marines' dress uniform.

Tallarns are more based on the SAS in the northern Africa end of WW2 than Lawrence, with the exception of the tank commander from Forge World.

Lord Zsinj
05-04-2006, 15:42
Mordians are a dead ringer for the WW2-era Soviet dress uniform (I found an old propaganda painting of Marshal Zukov which confirmed it for me). Right down to the studio colour scheme. They can also look scarily like US marines' dress uniform.

Fluff wise, though, with their massed ranks and and volley fire, the Mordians are modeled after the armies of 18th & early 19th century Europe.

Minister
05-04-2006, 16:16
True. They also make excelent models for using the movie-era Star Trek uniforms, as the 31st Mordian Redshirts sitting next to me here will attest.

Tastyfish
05-04-2006, 17:34
I'd say Cadians are slightly more Starship Troopers types rather than modern, its more or less the same but I think there is just one more step in the chain rather than being supposed to look like modern soldiers.

Volstroya kept out of the Horus Heresy, protecting and maintaining the Forge World they come from rather than get involved with the main fighting. They regret this now and wish to atone, sending their first born sons off to join the IG regiments (hence the Volstroyan First Born).