PDA

View Full Version : IG running out of time?

Tarax
30-06-2011, 09:58
Hi there,
last evening I was playing with my IG against an Eldar player. While I didn't need much time moving all my units, it took me a lot of time in the shooting phase. Within 1,5 hours, excluding set-up, we only played 2 turns and because of time restraint we ended it there.

So my question is, does anyone of you have the same problem with IG when you have a time limit? This includes tournaments.

Note that I took no Mech list, so I had relatively a lot of infantry, approx. 100 models and only 6 vehicles.

Lord Damocles
30-06-2011, 10:04
Nope. Never had a problem with games taking too long. Even with infantry-heavy lists.

sigur
30-06-2011, 10:21
I never finished a game in under at least three hours. Also never really had the urge to do so in less time because why would you put so much pressure onto you? With tournaments I somewhat get the idea but outside of them I don't see the need.

wascloud
30-06-2011, 10:26
I think that with most lists you can play as fast or as slowly as you want, obviously depends how long you have been playing, war gamers tend to pick up an almost supernatural ability to count dice :P
Also of course depends on how picky your opponent is being with your turn, whether they NEED to see every dice roll or if they can trust you to play fairly and therefore, quickly

Diclonius
30-06-2011, 10:56
A couple of times the person/s I have been playing with have just gone "Ah, I give up. This is taking too long"... but it doesn't happen often.

Dorn's Arrow
30-06-2011, 11:03
No, I've happily finished 7 turn games with infantry Guard in 2 hours or so.

Bunnahabhain
30-06-2011, 11:06
Nope.

Of course it helps no end if you know all the common rules, have everything WYSIWYG, so don't need to check lists, have space to unpack etc,a nd the biggest one of all.
Be decisive, and face a decisive opponent.

carldooley
30-06-2011, 13:14
it helps to do your tactical planning during your opponent's turn. Also, if you find yourself taking too long, don't leave the table during your opponent's turn - pay attention to what he\she (only if you're really fortunate) does during their turn.

Chem-Dog
30-06-2011, 13:19
I actually don't understand HOW you run out of time with what sounds like a gun-line army, unless you only have one D6 and have a blobbed infantry squads going FRFSRF all over the shop.

Dorn's Arrow
30-06-2011, 13:27
I actually don't understand HOW you run out of time with what sounds like a gun-line army, unless you only have one D6 and have a blobbed infantry squads going FRFSRF all over the shop.

All that shooting takes a while, and blob infantry can do a surprising amount of movement as well.

Tarax
30-06-2011, 13:44
My biggest problem was the number of units that were firing each turn. And this doesn't include rolling for orders.
To give a small indication of the number of units:
1 HQ
2 Platoon commands
4 Platoon squads (including combined squads)
1 HWS
1 SWS
1 Veteran in Chimera
1 Elite
5 vehicles, with 3 singular and 2 in a squadron
This gives 15 'elements' that can shoot. Albeit that 1 vehicle was left in reserve, but arrived on the second turn. And some units were out of range or had moved and couldn't shoot.

I have no problem with the rules or tactics and it was a friendly game with no conversation about other stuff going on. It was just the number of dice.

I hope this makes it a little clearer.

Chem-Dog
30-06-2011, 13:46
No, it really doesn't take all that long. Admittedly things like scatter can slow the process down if your opponant is overly picky about how many guys your blast has hit ect, but still....

EDIT. To be clear this message is a reply to Dorn's Arrow. Not to Tarax. :)

ColShaw
30-06-2011, 14:13
My infantry Guard forced me to become VERY efficient at setup and movement, and to make tactical decisions quickly. I once deployed 150 Guardsmen in less than 5 minutes, due to Apocalypse "screw you infantry" deployment rules.

It's putting them BACK in the case after the game that gets tedious.

freddieyu
30-06-2011, 14:19
The advice of the people here is sound. However, I have found that versus another horde army is DOES take more time, thus of course there is the factor of the other person.

If it happens to all your games, then it is indeed you. Initially my games also took long (hybrid army list) but I have tweaked my lists and learned to play faster. But yes 2.5-3 hrs more is less is the standard time in 1850-2000 pt games (including setup)...

ArtificerArmour
30-06-2011, 14:20
I play at speed and get fed up with players who take time. Sure, if theres banter i dont mind. But someone taking overly long, taking moves back, not knowing their own rules and not engaging conversationally makes for a tedious game. I game infrequently, and 2.5 hours foxr one game I do not have.

Dorn's Arrow
30-06-2011, 17:07
No, it really doesn't take all that long. Admittedly things like scatter can slow the process down if your opponant is overly picky about how many guys your blast has hit ect, but still....

EDIT. To be clear this message is a reply to Dorn's Arrow. Not to Tarax. :)

I'm not saying it's going to take an hour per shooting phase or anything daft like that, but it does take some time. If you're then having to reference things (particulaly against finicky opponents who want to check every second thing) then it eats up more time. I still have no idea how a guy took 3 hours to play 2 turns but there you go.

Paul Nexus
01-07-2011, 01:59
I game infrequently, and 2.5 hours foxr one game I do not have

Really? What size games do you play? Because 1000-1500 generally take that time.

I find movement is the longest phase for me. Being a DE player, where me units end up is the important bit. What I can shoot and who can shoot at me is where it's at.

I last played IG with the codex before the current one (doctrines and all that). Shooting wasn't that long. Point, shoot. Movement was the longest, as all my units were light infantry. Still, unless you take ages deciding who's shooting where, the rolling takes mere seconds. Pick up dice, roll. Pick up hits, move misses out of the way, roll.

easternheretic
01-07-2011, 02:41
My infantry Guard forced me to become VERY efficient at setup and movement, and to make tactical decisions quickly. I once deployed 150 Guardsmen in less than 5 minutes, due to Apocalypse "screw you infantry" deployment rules.

It's putting them BACK in the case after the game that gets tedious.

Agreed, I've become fast in setting up my apoc nid army (horde nids BTW :wtf:) and moving them across the board.

Mind you, I'm pretty inprecise in gaming terms. All that really matters to me is that I'm within the movement range or deployment zone, don't want to give rise to unpleasantness. This however, also means that I'm not maximizing cover and model placement. :rolleyes:

It is the packing afterwards that is really tiring. Doesn't help that it's always at the end of 2 day worth of mayhem.

If only we can have the packing up as the first thing to do on the first day, play the game then be done for beers and chips!:angel:

Cheers.

agurus1
01-07-2011, 04:14
Tabled a guy in 5 player turns today, in around 1 and a half hours with my combined arms guard list. The big time saver is being familiar with your army and the core rules. Stopping to check your codex or the to-hit or to-wound chart every time you shoot can slow things down.

Axeman1n
01-07-2011, 09:48
Practice. Learn your army. Use an army transport and distinguish your units within the transport. I recomend Battlefoam. You can also make a well designed and organised movement tray/display base.
Oh, and Pay attention. If you are not ready to roll when you need to roll, or you're not ready to take your turn when it starts, you will lose precious seconds.
I too run IG. In a 2k list it runs about 150 models with 3 transports. Even with doing all of the above things, I rarely see any turn past turn 4. Most games end on turn 3 or 4.