PDA

View Full Version : HE Prince on Dragon setup

warplock
30-06-2011, 10:30
I'll be controlling a Prince on a star dragon soon and was wondering about his set-up. He'll be facing off against an allied WoC + Daemons army including a Bloodthirster, Warriors and Chaos Knights, and I can't decide whether to gear him up to take on the 'Thirster or to take out infantry. Problem is I'm not sure he can take out the 'Thirster since if he doesn't kill it in one round it will likely rip the dragon to shreds. On the other hand there's nothing else in the army that's 1) maneuvarable enough to catch the BT, and 2) remotely strong enough to stand a chance against it. But on the other hand :eek: (I eat a lot of warpstone), T4 high save troops like warriors and knights (no Chosen, thank God) are perfect targets for the Prince since he'll rip them apart as if they were nothing more than zombies.
I could also downgrade the dragon but the extra save and S7 would be so much better against any opponent, so I'm not sure I want to do that.
My standard set-up would be something like Great Weapon, vambraces, armour of caledor. Potion of Strength to maybe help against the BT. Any other advice?

D'Haran
30-06-2011, 14:45
No other advice is needed, although you might consider dropping the potion for the other tricksters shard, rerolling ward saves will end up being much better than extra str for a round.

Von Wibble
30-06-2011, 18:04
Risky option - you also reroll your own successful ward saves iirc. But that is not an issue if the BT is attaking the dragon I suppose - it just makes you a little more vulnerable to his magic.

I would stick with your original setup.

Citadel97501
30-06-2011, 19:46
Risky option - you also reroll your own successful ward saves iirc. But that is not an issue if the BT is attaking the dragon I suppose - it just makes you a little more vulnerable to his magic.

Nope they have said you are not adjacent to yourself, so its the better option than putting it in a unit, as I have ran into that problem with my Phoenix Guard.

RobPro
10-07-2011, 15:10
Talisman of Loec may come in handy?

enyoss
10-07-2011, 21:30

As Citadel97501 correctly points out, the model bearing the Other Trickster's Shard does not suffer the effects.

With this in mind, it is definitely better than a Potion of Strength. Against a 5+ ward, your opponent's chances of saving go from a decent 1/3 to a pathetic 1/9. It's not quite so great against a 4+ ward, going from a 1/2 to a 1/4 chance of saving, but that's still pretty good for you. This then gives your Dragon a good chance of putting some wounds on the Bloodthirster every turn.

GenerationTerrorist
11-07-2011, 22:38
Bear in mind that Bloodthirsters often come with that Flaming Axe (5 times in the 8 games I've faced one so far in 8th Edition), so if your Prince is wearing Dragon Armour, both he AND the Dragon get a 2+ ward from the Bloodthirster's attacks.

Trains_Get_Robbed
11-07-2011, 22:45
Why does the dragon get it? I though that was 7th ed.

Yes, ToL/OTS, AoC, G.W, Vambraces is the way to go against thirsters. The real question isn't whether you should kill it, its whehter your dice betray you, because theoritically you should in about two turns ideally -ie; dragon has like 1-2 wounds left, and dosen't get to take a second round of attacks agaisnt the thirster. Between 8 rider attacks, 7 dragon and a 2D6 breath weapon, it should die eventually.

ihavetoomuchminis
13-07-2011, 10:54
Why does the dragon get it? I though that was 7th ed.

Yes, ToL/OTS, AoC, G.W, Vambraces is the way to go against thirsters. The real question isn't whether you should kill it, its whehter your dice betray you, because theoritically you should in about two turns ideally -ie; dragon has like 1-2 wounds left, and dosen't get to take a second round of attacks agaisnt the thirster. Between 8 rider attacks, 7 dragon and a 2D6 breath weapon, it should die eventually.

I think it's due to dragon armour affecting both the bearer and his mount.

Kloud13
13-07-2011, 13:35
And with a nearby "Life" Mage, you can put wounds back on the Dragon.