PDA

View Full Version : What happened to the Thunder Warriors?

Quetch
01-07-2011, 00:51
As the title says, what happened to the original proto-astartes after unification? Presumably they had a measure of immortality and they were still a force to conquer worlds, but at the end of The Last Church the Emperor said they would not take part in the Great Crusade. So did they just sit around on Terra until they eventually died of old age?

Tarian
01-07-2011, 03:49
Or there's a group that hangs around Terra with great gear and skill, almost as if they were custodians of something.

((Just my thoughts, have nothing to back it up.))

Brotheroracle
01-07-2011, 04:00
Nuked them from orbit, it was the only way to be sure....

I imagine that they either got the full astares treatment or were tasked with training the new breed.

Nazguire
01-07-2011, 04:03
I'd say died off. Once they were modified they were pretty much done, you can't really go and give them the full Marine treatment. More than likely de facto leaders of the new Legions until enough experience was garnered by the new Legionnaires.

Ahriman in A Thousand Sons seems to mock them with contempt, in that they were'unstable' I think I recall. If so, then more than likely their bodies couldn't handle their modifications properly and they died an early death/insanity/whatever.

MajorWesJanson
01-07-2011, 05:31
They were early attempts at gene-modified warriors. Worked well enough for taking Earth, but not really all that great. Basically prototypes. Then the Emperor perfected the process, creating the Custodes. Unfortunately, despite how good the Custodes were, they took a while to make, too time consuming. Thus the Primarch project, to create leaders and mass producable warriors through the use of Geneseed.

Thunder Warriors likely remained a garrison force on Terra, and mostly killed off in the Unification and aftermath. We know some holdouts lasted until the Astartes were around, so the Thunder Warriors were likely used up taking down holdouts.

deloneninja
01-07-2011, 05:59
Same thing that happened to the 2nd and 11th legions ;)?

GitzBlasta
01-07-2011, 06:11
The Thunder Warriors were unstable, as mentioned above. They tended to snap and go insane or just burn out and die.

I'd assume the Emperor would have taken them with him on the Great Crusade. I see no reason why he wouldn't have - he took the first Marines, his Custodes and unaugmented human Imperial Army soldiers, he may as well chuck the remnants of the Thunder Warriors in the mix too and just not bother replacing their casualties.

Wazzahamma
01-07-2011, 06:14
One of the books mentioned they broke down and went mad over time.

Polaria
01-07-2011, 06:57
Or there's a group that hangs around Terra with great gear and skill, almost as if they were custodians of something.

((Just my thoughts, have nothing to back it up.))

Nice thought, but The Last Church entry doesn't back it up since Adeptus Custodes did take part in Great Crusade. I suspect the Thunder Warriors, being early prototypes and all, just didn't have the 1000 year lifespan of an Astartes and they just grew old and died.