PDA

View Full Version : High Elves & Transformation of Khadon?

Citadel97501
01-07-2011, 05:36
Hello all,

I am just wondering but if your going to cast this spell which is your favorite form? I apologize if this issue has been beaten to death.

I am assuming that the Horned Dragon and Mountain Chimera are the best for High Elves, due to the high number of attacks and high initiative? However I can see an argument for going defensive with the Hydra or Fire Dragon.

Sexiest_hero
01-07-2011, 07:17
Red dragon is fitting.

grhino
01-07-2011, 09:36
Does anyone actually use that spell? I'd hate the fact that I do not have the model to represent the beast that my wizard transformed into. Then again, I only ever play with fully painted armies...

stiggie
01-07-2011, 10:16
Fluff wise id say one of the dragons,, gameplay wise i'd say... save the power dice :P

EnternalVoid
02-07-2011, 07:19
Not necessarily true. I have not had a chance to use it yet but I have been working on a list with a Lv4 with Lore of Beast. Give the mage the robes and talisman to make them nearly unkillable in combat save to natural magical attacks, then either the Silver Wand or the Staff of Solidity. Now if he throws 6 dice at the transformation, he can turn into an ASF monster that can attack *as it cancels his magic items*. After his attacks are done and it is time for the enemy attacks, you can if you wish end your remains in play and turn back into your nearly untouchable mage before he swings.

now there is the risk of miscast. Technically as the FAQ words the Staff of Solidity, it says;

Change to “This staff prevents the Mage’s first miscast – the
spell is still cast with irresistible force, but there is no need to
roll on the Miscast table.”

That suggests, at least to me, that the staffs ability it triggered at the point of rolling two 6's, not at the actual miscast portion. This is important as like other magic items the Staff would stop working once you were a monster, but if it makes you safe at the spells casting rather than the point of rolling on the miscast table you are safe from that first miscast even if it is what turns you into the monster.

If you feel safe against the unit, feel free to use the breath attack and thunderstomp if you can, inflict as much damage as you can. If your opponent is not aware of the robe and talisman he might spend valuable power dice dispelling it on his turn so he can attack your mage *and then find out he can't hit said archmage*. And if you survive and transform again, according to the Rulebook FAQ, you can use the breath attack again.

Mind you the key to using the Lore of Beast list with High elves would be making sure you have targets for the spell. I am currently trying to figure out how best to have a combat character or two that would be able to profit from the spells. And what else I might need to give my army the proper support.

GodlessM
02-07-2011, 15:53
The Staff wouldn't work as the spell effect is always triggered before the miscast roll, which is when the Staff comes into play, and at which time you cannot use Magic items. Still a good set-up though otherwise.

cptcosmic
02-07-2011, 18:10
The Staff wouldn't work as the spell effect is always triggered before the miscast roll, which is when the Staff comes into play, and at which time you cannot use Magic items. Still a good set-up though otherwise.
the text indicates that the effect of this item comes into effect when you actually you have an IF not on the miscast roll.

GodlessM
02-07-2011, 19:24
No, the action of the item is to ignore rolling on the miscast table, thus the action takes place when you normally would roll on the table.

mcstu
04-07-2011, 16:52
I have used this spell. I was using a High Elf army and transformed into a greater fire dragon. I do have a large dragon model which is painted and certainly got plenty of attention from others when I placed it beside the spearmen unit. :)

My choice of changing to dragon was purely due to having that model and not having a model for the other opinions. Also reason for using the spell at all is primarily the reaction you get when changing a weakling wizard into a large dragon. There are better lores to take and better tactics, but for fun you can't beat a large dragon.

popisdead
06-07-2011, 17:21
I am assuming that the Horned Dragon and Mountain Chimera are the best for High Elves

Mt Chimera and Fire dragon are the way to go. The chimera has a chance to be brutal if you roll well on your crapload of attacks.

Lord Solar Plexus
06-07-2011, 18:00
Where is the model placed? Beside the unit?

the text indicates that the effect of this item comes into effect when you actually you have an IF not on the miscast roll.

Nowhere does the text indicate anything like that.

macdaddy_o
06-07-2011, 19:22
The answer is easy. Mountain chimera.

The elf keeps his ASF ability. With the chimeras high initiative, he will get 4d6+1 attacks that will re roll misses, plus a s7 thunder stomp.

The re roll misses with lots of high strength attacks is why beast players love the chimera (they keep primal fury)

Citadel97501
06-07-2011, 20:42
Well yesterday I had a game vs. Dwarves, and won only due to a lucky LD roll of a 4, and finally getting off the Transformation of Khadon after 4 bad magic phases.