PDA

View Full Version : exalted daemon worth it - ?

jcmwolf1
05-04-2006, 01:57
Is this guy worth it? I am builiding a mortal chaos army and was thinking of either using the exalted as the general or as a support character, mainly because I painted up the model and like him. But on looking at the point costs, an exalted champion for the general, or a doombull as a support character seems like a better investment. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

ROCKY
05-04-2006, 02:44
Exalteds are not exactly that terrific in a mortal army if you want a big bad demon in a mortal army, I would definately go for a prince, (do not forget, he can have up to lv4in magic!) give him master of mortals, lvl4, diabolic splaendor, soul hunger, and the blade of the ether and watch as your opponent gets seriously messed up. of course there is one problem...he is a very BIG point sink I do not recommend using daemon characters in games less than 3000points. unless its an all out daemon horde army (they have different rules in the SoC book) oh and by the way some people claim that a prince is a LARGE target, he is not, so do not worry about him getting sniped.

colnagoing
07-04-2006, 04:56
They are OK, though they dont really perform as well sometimes as I wish they would

Zilverug
07-04-2006, 08:58
I think Exalted Daemons are (in general) better value than Daemon Princes.
EDs are very expensive, DPs are ridiculously expensive points-wise.

Try to give an unmarked ED/DP the lore of fire, hoping for the flaming sword spell...

Latro
07-04-2006, 09:05
Go for the Khornate Daemon Prince:

- extra attack
- save points on not needing magic levels
- get an extra dispel dice
- get +1 strength

... that monster has 6 attacks with re-roll first round at strength 6 with no armour saves possible, what's not to like?

:evilgrin:

Zilverug
07-04-2006, 15:20
... that monster has 6 attacks with re-roll first round at strength 6 with no armour saves possible, what's not to like?

That, due to frenzy, the daemon has to charge the front of an almost-free, six ranks deep unit of goblin spearmen that will instabilize him due to ranks, outnumbering and standard? :mad:

Latro
07-04-2006, 15:24
That, due to frenzy, the daemon has to charge the front of an almost-free, six ranks deep unit of goblin spearmen that will instabilize him due to ranks, outnumbering and standard? :mad:

Nope, due to being not that large he was unable to take a peek over the Furies that were flying along ... :D And now he's behind enemy lines with plenty of easy targets to choose from ... :evilgrin:

:cool:

Finnblood
07-04-2006, 15:52
Well... frankly, no. He sucks. If I make him a mage, he miscasts and dies, if I make him a warrior, he instables and dies, if I make him a terror bringer, everybody's gonna succeed their terror tests.

Best possible combo: 1 lvl magic, Diabolic splendour, LoFire. Then make a unit of a) mounted daemonettes b) furries c) screamers to follow him and charge with him. They are just as fast, so they can charge at the same time. And always hit flanks or rears or you'll just instable. Flaming sword is a gift from gods if you get it.

Trunks
07-04-2006, 19:28
Every single Exalted Demon or Demon Prince should have Soul Hunger before you even consider buying anything else unless you are using a Nurgle one (in which case, Stream of Corruption is the first thing you get). Soul Hunger is cheap and upgrades your close combat abilities well.

Your army really requires a special build if you want him to go all out on magic due to the massive points sink. Level 1 just to get a dispel die is all you really need (and if you have other wizards you don't really "need" that either).

You can easily use a demon prince or exalted in 2000 points. You just have to be aware that this one model costs 250-350 points. I wouldn't take an Exalted Demon and then max out on character magic items for the other character slots. Just make sure you have enough points left to get some actual troops out there after selecting characters.

I'm a big fan of them (in a pure Demon Legion or leading Mortals or beasts).

MarcoPollo
08-04-2006, 02:30
I find that they are a bit to point costly for their purpose. I have used a slaanesh ED and found that it was getting pick off by shooting too much. Personally, I like normal characters that arn't too expensive.

Soul_Man
10-04-2006, 02:37

but seeing as he has such a big charged range he can choose not to charge the spearmen and charge that juicy looking unit of knights near the spearmen.

Kharnath
28-04-2006, 12:52
and remember with bloodthirsters/princes/exalted, you can always face them backwards and backflip towards the enemy and avoid the frenzy issues untill you want to.

youll feel dirty but it increases your control no end.:D