PDA

View Full Version : Peliminary "Storm of Magic" list. Daemons (3k)

thesheriff
03-07-2011, 20:08
Hi all! :D

Trying to get a "small" scale Stomr of Magic list finalised so i can budget my purchases. Building on my all Khorne daemons with some tzeentch stuff. We are trying to work out a system of additional monsters and magic users. We are probably gonna try 3k game total, up to 25% of which can be monsters, magic items and extra wizards; Here it is;

Lords
*Bloodthirster w. Armour of Khorne, Firestorm blade, Spell breaker = 25, Infernal fury = 540

Heroes
*Skulltaker = 150
*Herald of Tzeentch w. Master of Sorcery (Death) = 135
*Herald of Tzeentch w. Master of Sorcery (Death) = 135
*Herald of Khorne w. BSB, Armour of Khorne, Great Icon of Despair =215
*Herald of Khorne w. Armour of Khorne = 115

Core
*36 Blood letters (Skulltaker and BSB here) w. Command, Icon of Endless war = 487
*29 Blood letters (Herald here) w. Command, Skull totem = 403

Rare
*3 Flamers = 105
*3 Flamers = 105
*3 Flamers = 105
*3 Flamers = 105

Monsters, Magic Items and Wizards
*Chimera w. Fiery breath = 200
*Chimera w. Fiery breath = 200

Total = 3,000

There it is. I am tempted to drop a flamer unit for one of these almightly weapons of untold power for skulltaker :p. Which might be cool.

Tactics wise, bloodletters go forward to mid field and chop stuff up. Tzeentch heralds sit on two close fulcrums and "BLAT" enemy wizards with death magic. The Flamers lurk armound the fulcrums, 2 units around each, as a deterant for monsters that seem to pick on my wizards. 6D6 S4 flaming shots per 2 units should take a few wounds of a hyrda/hellpit before the long haul combat with my wizards. The bloodthirster hunts wizards/monsters with his 7 S7 flaming attacks :evilgrin:. And the chimeras unleash themselves on much the same. Each charecter is quite self explanatory after that i hope.

Love some imput guys!

thesheriff

GodlessM
03-07-2011, 20:50
Not to be a downer on things but this post is a perfect example of why you don't make lists for books that aren't even out yet; monsters and magic allowance is free, i.e. you make a 3000pt army and then you take your 25% allowance, so a 3000pt game of Storm of Magic is actually a 3750pt game.

On the list itself however, I honestly think it is very bad. Don't let the Fulcrums take it all in, having a load of heroes to assault wizards on Fulcrums is no good when you can't even cross the field because the opponent has an actual army against your few heroes and troops.

thesheriff
03-07-2011, 21:19
Not to be a downer on things but this post is a perfect example of why you don't make lists for books that aren't even out yet; monsters and magic allowance is free, i.e. you make a 3000pt army and then you take your 25% allowance, so a 3000pt game of Storm of Magic is actually a 3750pt game.

Sorry, i should have explained. We will be TRIALLING the game on a smaller scale. We will effectivly be doing a 2,400pts game by that system (with the 25%, or 600pts, takes us to 3k). I meant 3k in total. And before anyone says its to small, it is a trail, we will probably be playing 4k eventually (in total, 3k + 25%). I just wrote this to get a flavour of what i want/ need.

I will eventually add in some horrors, prehaps anouther wizard. Maybe some flesh hounds and a cockatrice aswell. Who knows?

Its a peliminary list. It is far from finalised. More for tactics and ideas on protecting fulcrums/dealing with wizards. Its not final.

On the list itself however, I honestly think it is very bad. Don't let the Fulcrums take it all in, having a load of heroes to assault wizards on Fulcrums is no good when you can't even cross the field because the opponent has an actual army against your few heroes and troops.

I see what you are saying. But none of the charecters are for killing wizards anyway. Skulltaker, maybe (even though i always take him anyway). Both the tzeentch heralds sit on the fulcrums as there main priority to control them. My khorne heralds are hatred bestowers, and bsbs. hence, i havent given them things to aid charecter killing (ie; firestorm blade).

With more troops, i usually find i have enough in other similar 3k games. Prehaps your meta is severly horded (ie; lots of cheap troops, gobbos, emire, skaven).

BTW, what would you drop for more troops? And would you put in more bloodletters, or some horrors. Bearing in mind, i woudl probably need a 115pt herald for the bloodletters (which woudl be good, ive always wanted the 'Avatars or War' one)

But thanks for the input. And dont worry on being a downer. I wouldnt expect you, or anyone (including myself) to pull any punches (apologies to Haye fans :p). I put this up here to evaluate the choices i made and correct them. And, if this saves me money, its worth it.

RanaldLoec
03-07-2011, 21:38
Why the flamer msu's, my regular demon opponent runs two units of 6 in a very similar list.

He has too as 6 wounds with toughness 4 and a 5+ ward ain't allot.

Also I noticed just 1 spell breaker, not every cataclysmic spell will be irresistible force but will require high dispel rolls. Two spell breakers could be a life saver.

I would personally drop a few blood letters from the 36 unit drop in another spell breakers and think about grouping the Flamers into two units.

Do you need two hydras with a bloodthirster as well?

I would think about a third wizard a summoned WoC sorcerer could help claim that third fulcrum as you lose just one tzeentch hearld and your going to struggle to claim fulcrums which by all accounts you need to for the win.

thesheriff
03-07-2011, 22:02
Why the flamer msu's, my regular demon opponent runs two units of 6 in a very similar list.
Well, ill try both i guess. Cant hurt.

Also I noticed just 1 spell breaker, not every cataclysmic spell will be irresistible force but will require high dispel rolls. Two spell breakers could be a life saver
I have maxed out on heroes. In fact, im over on heroes ive just realised. I will need to check if you can take heroes from your own book in the 25% of the extras as it were.

Do you need two hydras with a bloodthirster as well?
Im not sure. Prehaps one chimera woudl be enough. Or, drop the bloodthirster for more bloodletters?

I would think about a third wizard a summoned WoC sorcerer could help claim that third fulcrum as you lose just one tzeentch hearld and your going to struggle to claim fulcrums which by all accounts you need to for the win.
Good idea. Prehaps i could replace the magority of my wizards with WoC ones to avoid missing the 25%?