PDA

View Full Version : Trish Carden Tongue

surprize
05-07-2011, 10:43
Trish Carden has sculpted some nice monsters over the years, but there has always been something a tiny bit "off" on them for me, but I hadn't been able to pin it down until I noticed a while back that Trish Carden sculpts all of her monsters with their tongues poking out as if they are not so much roaring as being sick or panting. This is a real signature of hers and I don't recall seeing it on any other monsters from other sculptors (GW or otherwise).

GW seem to pride themselves on doing loads of referencing in concept phases, just wondering if anyone knows of a creature that roars/hisses with its tongue past its teeth as I'm not sure there is one?!

Spider-pope
05-07-2011, 17:15
GW seem to pride themselves on doing loads of referencing in concept phases, just wondering if anyone knows of a creature that roars/hisses with its tongue past its teeth as I'm not sure there is one?!

Does it matter if no real life animal does? We are talking about entirely fantastical creatures here, which evidently do stick their tongues out past their teeth in the Warhammer world if we go by Trish's sculpts.

loveless
05-07-2011, 17:19
just wondering if anyone knows of a creature that roars/hisses with its tongue past its teeth as I'm not sure there is one?!

Gene Simmons.

Autobot HQ
05-07-2011, 17:20
Loveless wins the thread. Close it down now boys, this one is done.

Dryaktylus
05-07-2011, 17:21
Maybe they just have a good yawn...?:angel:

drear
05-07-2011, 17:22
oh loveless! :D

i for one love the tongues sticking out, it gives you a area for colour diffrent from teh beasts main body. with my squig i can paint them yellow, and give them pink mottled tonues for a nice contrast. i suspect its more down to aestetics , and less to do with anatomy.

if they were all naturally correct..they would all be cowering and have a button that played a 'wet leopard growl'

Chainaxe07
05-07-2011, 18:15
Hmmm...by Trish Carden you mean Trish Morrison???

theJ
05-07-2011, 18:33
huh... hadn't thought of that.

If you don't like 'em, I guess it'd be a pretty simple thing to cut them off though, wouldn't it?

I might think of doing it myself, to be honest. Depends on how my cockatrice turns out once assembled I suppose, can't be making too many decisions til' then.

EDIT: Come to think of it, I've seen it on several statues depicting monsters, so I guess it's not really a new thing. Makes me a bit curious, actually...

russellmoo
05-07-2011, 18:41
Maybe her creatures aren't roaring, just yawning (ever seen a dog yawn its tongue usually shoots out, or up and down), smelling the air (like a snake), or trying to eat some bugs (like a frog)-

You are just assuming those monsters are supposed to be roaring-

popisdead
05-07-2011, 18:42
Loveless wins the thread. Close it down now boys, this one is done.

Pretty much.

Also,.. who cares? These tongues that stick out that much can be remedied with GS or not attaching them and less GS.

fruitystu
05-07-2011, 18:52
I get the impression from her overall sculpting style that rather than anatomical correctness, her main influence is medieval renditions of the these beasties, hence the slightly odd poses, and indeed the tongue thing.

iamjack42
05-07-2011, 18:59
Hmmm...by Trish Carden you mean Trish Morrison???

He means Trish Carden, the artist formerly known as Trish Morrison. Sometimes women change their last names. :eek:

MOMUS
05-07-2011, 19:06
Dinosaurs roar with their tongues stuck out, i saw it on jurassic park.

Chainaxe07
05-07-2011, 19:12
He means Trish Carden, the artist formerly known as Trish Morrison. Sometimes women change their last names. :eek:

Just for fun? That's...odd, i say!