PDA

View Full Version : planning cities of death

Johnmclane
05-07-2011, 23:17
Hi

I'm going to build a modular cities of death board and I'm wondering if the "imperial sector" is worth it's price tag or if I'm better off buying the individual kits (like 3 of them).

Thanx in advance
john

djhowitzer
05-07-2011, 23:34
much better value than buying the individual kits

agurus1
06-07-2011, 01:29
umm... building your own from foam board would be least expensive

not to mention would end up looking more unique

dblaz3r
06-07-2011, 08:27
I always buy the Imperial sector over the separate boxes, much better value if you're buying a few. I wish they still sold the large box which could make 10 buildings.

Carlosophy
06-07-2011, 08:53
Polystyrene and Cardboard are FREE. Save your money and build it yourself.

Ozybonza
06-07-2011, 09:30
As much as building your own is the admirable and purist thing to do, as the owner of 5 x CoD buildings, they are well worth it :)

Killgore
06-07-2011, 09:41
The CoD building kits look great, much more detailed then your average home made scenery

Bunnahabhain
06-07-2011, 09:58
I'm somewhat negative about most GW terrain, but the cities of death stuff is well worth it. It is wonderfully detailed, and not silly expensive. I've only seen one company doing anything that compares,and it wasn't much cheaper, and I can't find it now....

Fairly much all the rest of their terrain is overpriced, done better by others, or easy to do yourself ( pick one or more of these), but cities of death stuff is well worth it.

EDIT: The Pegasus stuff was what I was thinking of. Right scale, well made, Techno-Gothic, but with less grim-dark. Thanks Colfax!

Colfax
06-07-2011, 11:32
I'm somewhat negative about most GW terrain, but the cities of death stuff is well worth it. It is wonderfully detailed, and not silly expensive. I've only seen one company doing anything that compares,and it wasn't much cheaper, and I can't find it now....

Pegasus Hobbies?

http://www.thewarstore.com/IMEXPlatformerHexagon.html

some pretty neat looking stuff for a decent price

Starchild
06-07-2011, 13:33
umm... building your own from foam board would be least expensive

not to mention would end up looking more unique

Hmmm, we should carve our own Space Marines out of particle board chips! They would end up looking more unique than the silly GW plastic kits! :angel:

Sorry, couldn't resist... :o

Ahem... I highly recommend the CoD kits. Just try to think outside the box and don't be afraid to make really big buildings, buy extra sprues for catwalks and bridges between buildings, snip bits off at random places, etc etc. Having lots of smaller building ruins is fine, but it looks somewhat generic compared to GW's past attempts with plastic ruins.

I also suggest investing in an airbrush if you want the best results. Airbrushed base coats and highlights over fully cleaned up pieces (i.e. all mould lines etc. removed) look amazing-- way better then the common drybrush method seen in most game stores.

edit: The Pegasus ruined building kits are also very nice and look great next to the GW buildings. :cool:

DeadInTheHead
06-07-2011, 14:00
I was lucky enough to get an Imperial City, and since then I've bought extra sprues of floor tiles. Just try to have a plan in mind when you're building this stuff. I went with making the 3rd floor (two above the ground level) modular so that models could move from building to building.

They really are great kits.

Okuto
06-07-2011, 15:11
I say build it yourself but the Imperial city sector comes with alot of nice things....esp if you intend to build a industrial center.

I tried to not buy it(or the planet strike terrian) but it really adds character next to my form buildings.

Nezalhualixtlan
06-07-2011, 20:28
Building it yourself is an option.

But I own 2x Imperial sectors that I built stuff with (check my terrain log in my sig if you want to see it), and I do not regret the decision.

They aren't cheap. But if they are in your price range, the buildings are really a joy to put together. They are well built for modularity that lends itself to easy and quick design and ease of building. And the detail levels on the terrain models are really awesome if you want to put the time into picking them out and really making them look nice.

I could have built my buildings out of polystyrene, but I have no illusions, they wouldn't have looked even a quarter as nice by the time I was done because I wouldn't have been willing to put in the extra time and money to carve up plasticard and try to detail things myself, and that's if my artistic vision would have been sufficient to match what GW already has available.

I don't have a ton of spare time on my hands. I work full time and make a decent salary, I go to school at night for most of the year. I really wanted my buildings to look very nice, and over enough time the cost was something I could afford for the pleasure I get out of it in my games.

So the Imperial Sectors made sense. I'd probably have bought enough of the buildings to make up what I had anyway, and the Sector is definitely a savings over the individual kits.

Chem-Dog
06-07-2011, 21:06

Do cardboard and polystyrene grow on trees in Sheffield? Down south we still have to pay for these things!!!! :p

Hi

I'm going to build a modular cities of death board and I'm wondering if the "imperial sector" is worth it's price tag or if I'm better off buying the individual kits (like 3 of them).

Thanx in advance
john

Buy the biggest set you can- simple as, the Sector contains more wall "tiles" than a combination of one of each of the three individual building types. The only thing that's a shame is the absence of the Imperial city, that baby was really worth it.
I'd suggest investigating the various online retailers who offer silly levels of discount and buying two sectors and combining them, if this takes you over the magic firgure of 100 most with discount you further or at least give you free P&P.

General suggestions.
Plan-Plan-Plan. these kits aren't like any other GW kit you've built, you're going to have to dry fit everything and trim parts that don't look like they should be trimmed, there are no instructions, only suggestions.

When I say plan, plan every minescule detail, get some grid paper and scribble out a basic plan for each building you want to make.
Log how many of each tile you have so you know exactly what you can get away with.

Don't be tempted to make "Whole Buildings" you get a LOT of wrecked/damaged pieces and if you squander your intact pieces of a single grand edifice you'll end up with one big building in a city fill of ruined corners.
By all means make building "Fairly intact" but use up some of those wrecked pieces on random holes in otherwise pristine walls and whatnot.

Get creative. You get far to many of the Sanctum "double doors" tile, all the CoD tiles come with usable detail on both sides, consider buildings that are "Inside-out". You can get extra milege out of the double doors by cutting them out an re-inserting them the other way or simply leaving the doors absent.

Remember you're making something you're going to be crawling over a lot, make model placement a big priority because it is a real pain when your CoD terrain falls out from under your heavily converted and consequently quite delicat Daemon-Prince. Be careful of how many spiky bits you put on your buildings!!!

Give serious consideration to current and future storage and transport issues, don't mount a three storey largely intact Basilica building on a nice piece of MDF if it's going to be moved once a week an if storage is going to be a pain, corner pieces stor better and are far more resilient to damage because of it.
I built two really nice buildings and mounted them, went to all the detail of making rubble piles and creating a general narrative around them (the rubble was appropriately placed around larger areas of damage and doorways were clear ect) six months of transportation saw both loose exterior detail (only stick the lights on if it's got some nice safe storage) and require hefty alteration and repair then in the last 18 months they've been an absolute pain to store and transport as I've moved house.

Finally. Don't overlook the Shrine of the aquilla it's a fantastic short-cut to making a big impressive centrepiece building when combined with the Basilica kit.

Now, I'll leave it there for now.
Good luck and remember Location, Location, Location ;)

Tzar Boris
06-07-2011, 21:36
The sectors nice, but as peeps are saying there's more than one way to skin a cat. My own preference is to mix it up with some custom jobs. A little bit of thin plywood/MDF or cardboard can make you relatively expensive Plastic kit go a lot further.

Take a look at most cities - the big ornate gothic buildings tend to be facades or have been expanded with cheap block building afterwards - why not use your Plasti kits for the fronts and add some nice grimy backalleys with brickwork or concrete blocks.

Make a couple of nice precincts and perhaps some walkways and it's all good. Why not go for a hilly city - would add some real depth to the buildings and a sense of claustrophobia. Or a three tier hive city cut away - use some plumbing pipes to elevate each level 8"-12" and you can have a really 40k feel. In fact, if I can find the space I think I might just do that myself!

Starchild
06-07-2011, 21:52
I was lucky enough to get an Imperial City, and since then I've bought extra sprues of floor tiles. Just try to have a plan in mind when you're building this stuff. I went with making the 3rd floor (two above the ground level) modular so that models could move from building to building.I'm interested to see how you pulled that off. Care to share some pictures with us? :cool:

Npf6
06-07-2011, 21:53
imperial sector kits are way better! got mine for $70 from miniwargaming

Tzar Boris
06-07-2011, 23:00
Oh yeah, and foam mounting board. It can be expensive from stores so shop around, but a bit of patience can reap wonderful things.

Check it oot - http://www.warseer.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=7518&title=zombie-apocalypse-board&cat=500

Jo-Jo
07-07-2011, 00:15
Don't choose between foam/cardboard and GW terrain. If you buy one GW box(set), you can easily create induvidual yet detailed buildings, and make it strech for a whole board. At least thats what my club does.

Tzar Boris
07-07-2011, 00:31
All that and not being afraid to experiment. Add wee bits from bits boxes, mount your buildings to oversized boards so you can have cool "pavements", finish it all off with varying degrees of "sprue rubble" (cut up sprues, small rocks, gravel, sand, some polyfilla, some PVA) to add some interest, sacrifice a few models for the greater good and give them some nice gory deaths, spend some time making street furniture (a few benches and lamp-posts will make for more realism than any amount of highly detailed buildings), find inspiration everywhere (what can I use "this" for?).

For the old skool inspirational tables at GW, the budget used to be about 30-40, less if there was plastic kits to be used. Best advice I can give you is to ignore your budget limitations and design from the heart. Then look at what you can do with your materials and budget. Don't buy stuff you won't need, but make notes of where you can get wire mesh, spackle/polyfilla, sandpaper, pink foam etc. Poundshops are your friend!

There's lots more, but if in doubt, bodge it!

Nezalhualixtlan
07-07-2011, 02:32
Plan-Plan-Plan. these kits aren't like any other GW kit you've built, you're going to have to dry fit everything and trim parts that don't look like they should be trimmed, there are no instructions, only suggestions.

When I say plan, plan every minescule detail, get some grid paper and scribble out a basic plan for each building you want to make.
Log how many of each tile you have so you know exactly what you can get away with.

Chem Dog makes a lot of excellent suggestions, but this bears repeating. If you do go with these sets, you can make a lot of very impressive looking buildings. But plan, then go back, double check, refine, and replan.

I'll second making sure your plans include the playability of the peice. I've played games with other people's or stores terrain where it looked impressive, but was just a royal pain to play on because of how cramped everything was. My fingers are not small, and it's not a lot of fun for me to try and squeeze them in to buildings to delicately place models only to have to squeeze them back in 2 mins later and move them again next phase of my turn. Make sure you give a thought to how the buildings can be utilized. Think about LOS blocking, and vertical space, it adds a lot of tactical dimension to the game, as well as just looking very cool.

Look up what other people have done. Check out the terrain logs here. Do a google pic search for Cities of Death and all the other individual terrain kits that GW makes. You'll find a lot of interesting inspiration. Take a look at the terrain articles GW has written, they have a massive ton of useful suggestions and tips you might not otherwise have thought of.

But plan, and plan well.

One other thing I will suggest, if you make a front facing balcony, the wall sections are not built to slot the floor sections in on that side. Take your hobby knife and clippers, and cut out a slot in the vertical riveted pieces to make them fit. You'll be a lot happier that you did once you've taken the time to do so, otherwise they look sloppy and have terrible gaps that you either need to live with or fill and that are really unnecessary to begin with.

GW will give you this tip too when you read their articles, but it really does help. When you build, start with corners, they make the best solid foundation for your buildings. Two wall pieces, and a floor piece to align the angles all correctly. This can be a longer floor section, it doesn't need to be a single chip, but just make sure to get the 90 degree angles all correctly set so the rest of your building sits right. If your foundation is off, it will only magnify as you create the rest of the building sections, as is usually the case with most real life construction. Except that leads to weird and unpleasant warping on the plastic here.