PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on my chapter colours

Mace1982
06-07-2011, 01:04
ok which one looks the best, im not sure of chapter iconography nor name yet just trying to iron out the colour scheme

*ok added a few more schemes to it and now im really unsure as to which one to go for so any opinions are more than welcome*

*2nd edit* Ok so i have added a few more colour schemes, i have also finally decided which way i want my chapter to go they will be either a imperial/crimson fists or Black Templars Successor ( basically i like all the iconography for both chapters and well you can get some lovely extras for them :p

Inquisitor Engel
06-07-2011, 01:17
The one on the right would look most striking. Yellow in small areas is even more of a pain than yellow over whole models.

The one of the left.... is ugly. Sorry, but it is.

jason_sation
06-07-2011, 01:18
I like the one in the middle. Go Steelers!

Morgrad
06-07-2011, 01:19
The one on the right

self biased
06-07-2011, 01:20
the first one looks terrible.
the second one looks okay; it's hard to screw up black. It's hard to do black super well, too, but the learning curve isn't too severe.
i like the third one the best, but the lenses should be either red or magenta.

Mace1982
06-07-2011, 01:28
The one on the right would look most striking. Yellow in small areas is even more of a pain than yellow over whole models.

The one of the left.... is ugly. Sorry, but it is.

yeah when doing it on B&C it grew on me abit them wained and i was not 100% sure but the one on the right is probably the one i will go for

the first one looks terrible.
the second one looks okay; it's hard to screw up black. It's hard to do black super well, too, but the learning curve isn't too severe.
i like the third one the best, but the lenses should be either red or magenta.

yeah i thought black is more forgiving than any other colour, but at the same point looking at the pic now it looks like the bumble bee marine,

yeah the bronzed flesh with lich purple is just rank well dont know till you try :p

self biased
06-07-2011, 02:58
you can effectively change the shoulder pad trim to the opposite color and it'll look good with number three. alternatively, you can take your yellow/gold trim (shoulder trim, aquillae, &c), and make it red. though i'd not paint the between-the-armor-ribbing anything but dark.

grayghost
06-07-2011, 03:04
Numba two!

Lord-Gen Bale Chambers
06-07-2011, 04:00
Number 1 looks like some kind of Emperor's Children successor...
Number 2 looks sharp and shouldn't be hard to do. It won't look great though.
Number 3 offers a challenge and could look good if done well

nariaklizhar
06-07-2011, 04:11
one on the far right

Lothlanathorian
06-07-2011, 04:34
I like the far left most, far right second, set the Steelers on fire the one in the middle the least :)

kafrique
06-07-2011, 05:07
I like the center, but he looks like loyalist Black Legion.

Inquisitor Engel
06-07-2011, 05:43
I like the center, but he looks like loyalist Black Legion.

I hate to nitpick, but that's an oxymoron. ;)

The only loyalist sons of Horus..... are Sons of Horus.

Scaryscarymushroom
06-07-2011, 05:58
I think #2 is best. #1 and #3 are tied, and still both good.

Given the choice between #1 and #3, I'd go with #3 only on the premise that it looks like it would be more difficult to paint up---more rewarding to see completed.

(@Mace1982) Which do you like best?

Lord of Divine Slaughter
06-07-2011, 07:17
None of the above :p

Go find a name and some fluff for your chapter, then choose your colours, so they make sense :)

jt.glass
06-07-2011, 09:28
The one of the left.... is ugly. Sorry, but it is.I wouldn't say ugly, so much as camp. Probably still not what the OP is going for, though. EDIT: The one on the left could look cool if the panels were bone, but (on my screen at least) they are coming accross as peach!

The one in the middle looks good, but I think I prefer the one on the right.

jt.

Mace1982
06-07-2011, 10:25
@scary I'm torn between 2 & 3, 2 will stand out but 3 will test me,

I always sort out my colour choice first then name to fit this is easier for me :-)

I'm going to do a few more variations on 2 & 3

The peach is actually bronzed flesh :p

HRM
06-07-2011, 10:31
#2, no question. Full stop. I despise all of those "half'n'half" color schemes like #3. They all look so... clownish.

sgtspiff
06-07-2011, 15:03
The first or the last. No "clean" colors (red, blue yellow, black, green) which has been done to death by now.

Mace1982
06-07-2011, 16:10
Ok so i have maxed out on attachements to my main post i have the 3 last schemes i have come up with one of these 13 will be my colour scheme, please see first post regarding my choice of founding and iconography :-)

Dr.Clock
06-07-2011, 16:34
Hmmm... some interesting possibilities.

The only one that SCREAMS imperial fists or black templars are the yellow and black ones.

That being said, I really like the middle bottom, bottom second-from-right and top far right.

The green ones look surprisingly like either Sons of Medusa or Raptors... which both have very cool fluff.

Black Templars don't have successors... they have Crusades or some such... basically each company-level fighting force is self-sufficient and will break up when and if it ever gets too large. As a result, there are likely significantly more than 1000 BT brothers... and no-one really knows how many Crusades are active at any one time.

That being said, there is no reason why you couldn't do up a Crusade in slightly different colours. I'd probably tend to just ramp up the white a whole lot (mostly white with black pads, greaves, elbows, hands, and face). Black and white with red and metal details could look pretty smashing.

Cheers,

The Good Doctor.

Worship
06-07-2011, 16:51
On the bottom row, far right. Looks the best imo

Bleached Bone armor with Red helmets looks awesome.

Mace1982
06-07-2011, 17:02
Indeed at current levels black templars do not have successor chapters but i did some research and found that if I founded them as early as is physically possible then potentially it is highly feasable that the black templars gene seed was used to make successors, just no documentation of this yet, however the extensive ammount of background research that i would have to pu tinto it just to get this fact through in my own IA its really off putting.

That said I feel i may buy a box of tac marines and just paint one of every scheme minus 3 of the most obvious "pansy" style schemes, thus i can see how my strength's/weakness at painting appear on the marines.

Rogzor87
07-07-2011, 01:08
I really like the Teal/White ones.

kafrique
07-07-2011, 03:35
I hate to nitpick, but that's an oxymoron. ;)

The only loyalist sons of Horus..... are Sons of Horus.

Except I didn't mean pre-heresy Black Legion, ie Sons of Horus, I literally mean he looks like a loyalist in Black Legion colors.

I like the halved black and yellow, it looks good and is appropriate as a fists successor.

William The Conqueror
07-07-2011, 10:27
I liked the fourth from the left in the second row the best, but I think it might be better if you go with a solid color for the helmet.

Psycoticspacemarine
07-07-2011, 12:49
I like #8 and #10. 10 looks a lot like one of my Sang Priests. I like 8 just because it is very striking.

Gingerwerewolf
07-07-2011, 16:57
I really like the Half Yellow / Half Black devided down the middle. That one is very Black Templar / Imperial Fist.

As for Background you could have them as an Imperial Fist successor who've been working with the Black Templars.
When they create a new Chapter they usually take experienced Marines from the Successor Chapter to build it up, but remember that seasoned veterans of chapters are seconded to other chapters to assist in their training. See Telion from the Ultramarines. Thus one of the Black Templar Characters could have Helped with the chapter training and his attitudes and tactics have stuck...

Lord Gabranth
07-07-2011, 17:37
I liked the bleached bone one with the red helmet and fists, seems more like a Crimson Fist/Imperial Fist sucessor.

Btw, where do you get the template from to set up those color schemes? Or if I just have to save the pic what do I load it up in to try out some new Ideas I have?

Jo-Jo
07-07-2011, 17:46
Ok one by one (first colour named is the main colour, second is the, well, secondary):

Orange/Purple marine: Just. No. Please. 0/10
Black/Yellow: To Black Legion-y. 3/10
Green/White checkered: Looks good, but are you confident you can paint that for a whole force. I couldn't. 8/10
White/Green: 2/10
Green/white: 5/10
Yellow/Black Havled: Very nice, My personal favorite. 9/10
Yellow/Black: 7/10
Blue/White: 6/10
Green/White: 7/10
White/Red: 8/10

razormasticator
07-07-2011, 17:55
I really liked the Teal and White... Think it was awesome.

TheBigStink
08-07-2011, 01:20
I like the cream/white color with red helmet and trim. I think that would make a really cool black templar spin off.

daemonprinceyourself
08-07-2011, 04:56
I like the blue colored marines. Feels similar to Crimson Fists