PDA

View Full Version : need help settling for just ONE army

TheBigStink
06-07-2011, 20:46
Hi All,

I am new to 40k but have played fantasy for a good many years. I have tried many times to get into 40k but my problem is I keep switching armies. I tried Necrons because I thought they would be easy to learn the game but their background is boring and I found myself wanting more fluffwise. I have many codexes but am having a hard time settling on just one army. What is a good army for a 40k beginner that has interesting fluff and has kept your interest?

Thanks,

Stinker

MasterGideon
06-07-2011, 20:53
Space Marine or Orks, If I could start again I would have stayed orks for the conversion and sheer amount of crazyness you can do is unlimtied. marine are good to paint and good to play as and thus good to start with.

MasterGideon

Lothlanathorian
06-07-2011, 20:57
Space Marines or Orks, yeah. Orks are awesome, obviously, and Space Marines have lots and lots and lots of fluff and are one of the most forgiving armies on the tabletop for a beginning player. And you have more options of army style with Marines.

TheBigStink
06-07-2011, 21:02
Thanks for your insight. I was thinking Ork because they are so much fun and random in Fantasy. I'm no power gamer but I want an army that keeps me coming back for more.

MasterGideon
06-07-2011, 21:07
Plus you can kit bash orks with any other army tanks to make unique and wonderful designs, just have fun with them!

MasterGideon

Lothlanathorian
06-07-2011, 21:24
Yeah, kitbashing is a big plus!

rayrod64
06-07-2011, 22:13
Space Marines are the easiest with the most options and their dead hard, if you want history or fluff...they have the most books out there...

Latro_
06-07-2011, 23:04
I'v always liked chaos space marines the most, they always seem to match up well with my personality (not sure if thats good or bad!) and i love their style, i'm a big fan of post apocalypse fiction and heavy metal music, chaos is kinda those two styles smashed together with a shot of evil bad guy and a hint of tragedy.

Maybe that'll keep your interest, find an army you identify with more than the others.

Jo-Jo
06-07-2011, 23:09
I use to flitter between armies, but I found the orks a few years ago and havn't looked back. I think it the one. True love forever.

I think the main reason is that if a new kit comes out (Stormraven), I can make a looted version. So every new release I can get something out of it. I have a looted vehicle from every army that has come out since 5th started.

You gotta keep trying and you will find your one soon. (There's one of everybody or so they say ;))

KingDeath
06-07-2011, 23:33
Dark Eldar, they are visualy impressive, competative and allow all kinds of crazy background ( mercenary cabal? gladiators? headhunters who supply the arenas with the most dangerous beasts in the galaxy? outcast Slaanesh worshippers? something official? swashbuckling pirates? ).

TheBigStink
06-07-2011, 23:57
Some great ideas thank you.

A good follow up question would be how did you all find the army you use the most and what about them keeps you interested?

sasheep
07-07-2011, 00:09
Yeah I would go with Orks or Marines for the reasons above. BUT I would suggest haveing a look at all the codicies (is that the correct term?) first just incase something else grabs you!
I am rather bad at sticking to an army tbh but I made my own chapter a few years back and have stuck with it. Probably because it is mine with my own colour scheme and heraldry and a load of background that I have writen etc
My true love however is DE. I have always loved the fluff but the models were some of the worst I have ever seen imo untill their revival last year. Now they are just beautifull (in a rather twisted way) and that has helped keep me loyal :)

spekkiebig
07-07-2011, 05:42
A good follow up question would be how did you all find the army you use the most and what about them keeps you interested?

I just fell in love with the Falcon model (about 15 years ago or so) and played my Eldar ever since.

laudarkul
07-07-2011, 05:56
With the new Codex I would say Imperial Guard. Plenty of army list choices and very funny to play it . And for a beginner it's easy to learn. The only drawback is that you keep buying models :D to cover everything (in the last codex I had only one Chimera and now without 8 a mech IG would not be perfect). And if you want an AirCav style of army now it's becoming more interesting.

Revanchist13
07-07-2011, 06:02
I've played a year and a half, and started off with a small Craftworld Eldar army, because I liked the looks of the model, but began to regret it soon after (between rules, rather cliched fluff, and a lack of inspiration after my first few units were done). I tried Tyranids, and still love them, but as I was testing out different Nid armies, the new Dark Eldar came out and really caught my eye. Actually, it was a WD article on a converted Wych cult army: only Wyches, Bloodbrides, and Lelith, and even the drivers for the Raiders had been swapped out for Wyches! It was definitely my inspiration, and it's the most fun I've had between my three armies. So, yeah, get inspired!

Carlosophy
07-07-2011, 07:58
The following are all game-legal armies representable with specific rules:

Generic Space Marines
Ultramarines
Crimson Fists
Imperial Fists
White Scars
Raven Guard
Blood Angels
Flesh Tearers
Dark Angels
Deathwing
Ravenwing
Space Wolves
Black Templars
Generic Imperial Guard
Cadian Shock Troops
Tallarn Desert Raiders
Valhallan Ice Warriors
Catachan Jungle Fighters
Grey Knights
Inquisition
Sisters of Battle
Generic Eldar
Iyanden Ghost Warriors
Biel Tan Swordwind
Wild Riders of Saim Hann
Ulthwe Seer Council
Generic Orks
Ork Speed Freeks
Generic Dark Eldar
Wych Cults
Haemonculus Coven
Tyranid Hive Fleet
Generic Chaos Marines
World Eaters
Emperor's Children
Deathguard
Thousand Sons
Renegade Astral Claws
Fabius Bile Genhanced Marines
Tau Empire
Farsight Enclaves
Necrons

Pick the one that sounds the coolest!

Khamul
07-07-2011, 08:29
The following are all game-legal armies representable with specific rules:

Generic Space Marines
Ultramarines
Crimson Fists
Imperial Fists
White Scars
Raven Guard
Blood Angels
Flesh Tearers
Dark Angels
Deathwing
Ravenwing
Space Wolves
Black Templars
Generic Imperial Guard
Cadian Shock Troops
Tallarn Desert Raiders
Valhallan Ice Warriors
Catachan Jungle Fighters
Grey Knights
Inquisition
Sisters of Battle
Generic Eldar
Iyanden Ghost Warriors
Biel Tan Swordwind
Wild Riders of Saim Hann
Ulthwe Seer Council
Generic Orks
Ork Speed Freeks
Generic Dark Eldar
Wych Cults
Haemonculus Coven
Tyranid Hive Fleet
Generic Chaos Marines
World Eaters
Emperor's Children
Deathguard
Thousand Sons
Renegade Astral Claws
Fabius Bile Genhanced Marines
Tau Empire
Farsight Enclaves
Necrons

Pick the one that sounds the coolest!

What he said!

I would go with a army with variety- I wanted to start with Necrons too, but the models and fluff where BORING. Any form of Space Marines are good, you can have lots of different units. Orks are good, for the simplicity and kitbashing aspects. But I'd say pick a Space Marine chapter- they have the best fluff, and they have excellent variety. Just DON'T take those smurfs the Ultramarines!

MasterGideon
07-07-2011, 08:35
One of my ideas for an ork army would be them trying to copy space marines, so I was planning on having them all in power armour (well scraps of power armour) and go from their, this way you can combine two of the best plastic kit ranges in to one and at the same time be semi easy to paint!

MasterGideon

TheBigStink
07-07-2011, 18:30
@Carlosophy
I had no idea there were so many different armies with their own set of rules! I think you made my problem worse!

@MasterGideon
That is a great idea! I might pawn it off as my own.. Jk

Jo-Jo
07-07-2011, 18:51
As to finding the one, you dabble around in a few, but there is no true way to find the one. I have done several armies before, but only found true happiness in the Orks.

I think using the Metaphore of courtship works rather well for this situation :rolleyes:

TheBigStink
07-07-2011, 19:17
As to finding the one, you dabble around in a few, but there is no true way to find the one. I have done several armies before, but only found true happiness in the Orks.

I think using the Metaphore of courtship works rather well for this situation :rolleyes:

True, true. However, courting with different armies is like courting women (or whoever, no judging here) and is very expensive! With Fantasy I spent over a grand "dabbling" until I finally settled with O&G.

daemonprinceyourself
08-07-2011, 04:39
I like World Eaters because they are psychopathic maniacs who run across the field cheering for blood and skulls for the Blood God. And since it does not matter from where the blood flows, it doesn't matter if my entire army is completely obliterated in the process! The Blood God always wins

MasterGideon
08-07-2011, 07:04
@thebigstink

Go for it! I Will never do it, just post pictures! the idea really came from the old 40k background books when the imperium would work with the blood axe commandos (they stole the idea of camo from guard) so I thought I wounder if they would every try and copy space marines too.....

my one tip/advise is that orks like big guns so I was planning on making some really big guns for their trucks/razorbacks & battlewagons/landraiders.....

MasterGideon