PDA

View Full Version : Interest for a Tale of Board Game Painters

Solun Decius
08-07-2011, 11:00
Hey people!

Since the Painting Support forum has become an important part of the MP&T part of warseer and all the Tales of painters have really skyrocketed, I’d like to offer to organize a Tale that is of great interest to me, but I’m afraid might get rather less participation than the WHFB and 40K Tales. Nonetheless I don’t want to put it off the table without checking if there’s interest in participating.

I imagine unpainted sets of the new Space Hulk can be found all over the world, but Fantasy Flight games have also been releasing more and more board games with detailed miniatures lately and the possibilities of making your game sets cooler by painting up the plastic figures are all around.

I myself organized the painting of the Mansions of Madness set earlier this year with great results and I’ve just got Warhammer: Chaos in the Old World and wish to paint that as well, one ruinous power at a time.

I’m not sure exactly how this would be organized as it’s not a fixed points size each month, but I imagine every participant would set up a plan for their project, splitting the whole set into 5 or 10 portions. Then I’d keep track of progress in monthly show-off and comment threads over 6 or 12 months, allowing one or two jokers as we’ve gotten used to in the tales.

This thread is simply to check for interest in this kind of project, see what Board Games people have got and would like to participate with, and how dedicated you believe you’ll be.

If there’s enough interest to make this happen then I’ll be more than happy to do the organizing, and if someone participates with old full sets of Hero Quest or Space Crusade my life will be complete :D

Please comment on the idea and whether or not you’re interested in participating. Also what games do you visualize being painted up in a project like this.

If interest is sufficient I'll put up a proper enrollment thread in August and we'll see what really happens.

Steam_Giant
08-07-2011, 12:20
I have 3 sets of Heroquest, I really should paint one of them.

I loved your work on MoM, Consider me interested.

Robert
08-07-2011, 13:54
I'd be interested in taking part with Mantic Games' Dwarfs Kings Hold games. Probably do both games, which would give me about 50 models to do.

DarthSte
08-07-2011, 13:56
Well, I bought the latest version of Talisman a couple of weeks ago...

iamjack42
08-07-2011, 14:08
I have been meaning to paint my copy of heroquest for a while now...

Fechik
08-07-2011, 15:12
I'd be interested. I have the Castle Ravenloft game I wanted to paint the mini's for.

theimp
08-07-2011, 16:49
I'd love to get in on this. I've been eyeing the new D&D boardgames for a while. I just have too many projects right now though. I'll look for season two.

Morglum Necksnapper
08-07-2011, 19:01
I would love to paint a box of Space Crusade.

warflag
09-07-2011, 11:34
Needless to say I΄d be in this, too, if it happens. Don΄t know what to paint but I surely find something...

Get it on!

Solun Decius
09-07-2011, 12:58
OK, cool guys!
This is certainly enough interest to get me interested :D
Actually it got me thinking "we should just start this in August already" but I think its better to be patient, give it time for more people to realize this is going on and in September more people will be set in their normal routines after summer vacation.
Still, there's nothing stopping the ones already wanting to get on board from doing a test figure or two and thinking about how to plan this.

I'm thinking it'll be both 6 month and 12 month plans, depending on participants, so anyone can split their set in to 5 or 10 portions (allowing for jokers), each to be painted in a month.
It'd be Sept-Feb (ending March 1st), Sept-Aug (ending September 1st) and also March-August, taking in new participants in February, and also allowing those who might not have finished in the first 6 months to set up a new plan :D

Many board games are simply too small to be painting them over the course of a full year, but it's importand to allow everyone their own speed, even just a figure or two per month.

All of this will still be organized in the same monthly thread. It'll probably be small enough anyway, and there's more support in more people, even though they're not all on exactly the same schedule.

Please keep expressing interest here. I'll send a PM to everyone who posts on this thread, to let them know when the proper enrollment thread open next month.

DAGabriel
09-07-2011, 13:16
Think i will return the visit to the ToSGP and use the Chance to paint my Space Hulk Crew.

Solun Decius
09-07-2011, 18:12
Alright, cool! Besides, it was your TOSGP that got me thinking on this track. The whole 6 month plan thing is from there too.
This is gonna be fun methinks!

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

Whitwort Stormbringer
09-07-2011, 18:39
I have a box of Space Crusade (and the Eldar Attack expansion) that I would love to get painted up, but my painting time is limited and right now it's dedicated to some other games.

So that said, I might be able to join in the later 6-month period (March-August), I'll just see how things are coming along.

Fechik
09-07-2011, 21:42
I don't know if it's true or not (because I've not looked into it), but I heard that Puppet Wars is going to be a board game. If that's the case I'll be painting a bunch of puppets up for that.

Zark the Damned
12-07-2011, 09:53
Depending on what my schedule is like when this starts, I may join in with my copy of Descent :)

Solun Decius
12-07-2011, 10:14
Cool man! You'll be informed when this begins.

That's cool Stormbringer, I was hoping this setup could cater to more people's schedules like that.

@Fechick: Yeah, those minis are amazing cool. That would be a boardgame of great interest, if it's true.

steevn
13-07-2011, 09:21
i'd like to join

i have these things to paint :
utopia http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/31745/utopia
mylady and the musketeers http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/78954/mousquetaires-du-roy
cadwallon city of thieves http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/69120/cadwallon-city-of-thieves

send me pm when it starts plz

Daemonslave
13-07-2011, 10:12
I've got Warhammer Quest stuff to paint and my Space Hulk guys too. Hmmm decisions, decisions. Sign me up though - I need motivation!

someone2040
14-07-2011, 06:34
Yeah, sign me up for Space Hulk. I payed a lot of money for a board game that I've only clipped half the models off the sprue and played once for!

Solun Decius
14-07-2011, 11:17
Will do steevn!
Daemonslave & someone2040 - I've got you signed up. You'll get a PM reminder again when the proper signing up starts next month.

iamjack42
14-07-2011, 13:32
Sign me up as well. I'm a little confused about the rules/process, (specifically timelines) But I have a copy of Space Hulk and a Copy of Heroquest (with two expansions) and I need to paint them all.

Morglum Necksnapper
14-07-2011, 13:37
I'm really looking forward seeing this develop! :)

Solun Decius
14-07-2011, 15:51
Yeah, iamjack24, the process will be clearer when there's a proper enrollment thread next month, but the tale won't really start until September when everybody's summer vacations are over, so there's plenty of time to prepare :D

Solun Decius
29-07-2011, 16:45
OK guys, I'm travelling now but I'll be back home sometime next week and I'll set up a proper enrollment thread ASAP. The process should be very clear then and we can all make a plan for finishing our board games.
Everyone who posted here will also get a PM so I'm hoping the participation will exceed my initial hopes :D

Daemonslave
30-07-2011, 00:50
OK guys, I'm travelling now but I'll be back home sometime next week and I'll set up a proper enrollment thread ASAP. The process should be very clear then and we can all make a plan for finishing our board games.
Everyone who posted here will also get a PM so I'm hoping the participation will exceed my initial hopes :D

Already done :p. Here's my plan (any suggestions?);

Painting Space Hulk in a year

Contents of the box that needs painting;

12 Terminators
22 Genestealers
Broodlord
Dead Marine in chair
Chalice
C.A.T.
20 Door bases

Month 1 - September

Sergeant Lorenzo
2 Genestealers
5 Door Bases

Month 2 - October

Brother Zael
2 Genestealers
5 Door Bases

Month 3 – November

Brother Goriel
2 Genestealers
5 Door Bases

Month 4 – December

Brother Deino
Broodlord
5 Door Bases
C.A.T.

Month 5- January

Brother Omnio
2 Genestealers
Chalice

Month 6 – February

Sergeant Gideon
2 Genestealers

Month 7 – March

Brother Leon
2 Genestealers

Month 8 – April

Brother Valencio
2 Genestealers
Dead marine on chair

Month 9 – May

Brother Noctis
2 Genestealers

Month 10 – June

Brother Scipio
2 Genestealers

Month 11 – July

Brother Claudio
2 Genestealers

Month 12 - August

Librarian Calistarius
2 Genestealers

I know it doesn't seem a lot per month but it's going to be manageable with other projects on the go (I got loads of stuff for Warhammer Quest to paint too – will have to do that as my Tale next year).

:)

Solun Decius
01-08-2011, 01:07
Looks cool dude. The only thing is I, myself would allow for two jokers in a 12 month plan and so split the set into 10 parts. It looks nice though to have exactly one live marine each month, as they will be the most involved painting. Good plan!

Daemonslave
01-08-2011, 11:49
Hmmm, good point, but the timing of the start of this 'Tale' is perfect for me as August and a large part of July is usually when I'm on a nice long 5/6 week holiday (perks of being a teacher I guess), so any catch up can be done then, plus I've made each monthly requirement quite small so hopefully I won't need any Jokers (famous last words!):p

Zark the Damned
09-08-2011, 15:54
Am currently listening through old podcasts and realised D6G has a relevant section in episode 49: http://www.thed6generation.com/d6g_ep_49_trademarks_terraforming_painting_gaming_ with_the_blind

Solun Decius
11-08-2011, 00:27
OK, cool! I haven't listened to that podcast but it sounds interesting. I'll check out the mini painting section when I've got time.

I've sent a PM to everyone who replied to this thread and for everyone who didn't reply but is following then I've started a proper signup thread here: http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=313544

Hope to see you (and more) there!