View Full Version : First Storm of Magic List - 2K Tomb Kings

Spiney Norman
08-07-2011, 23:04
I'm starting fairly small, my Rasetran Tomb Kings, plus friends

Lords
Horus the Everlasting, Grand Hierophant of Rasetra
L4 Liche High Priest, Lore of Nehekhara, Earthing Rod

Heroes
Prince Akenaten of Rasetra (Tomb Prince, Great Weapon, Armour of Destiny)
Hotep, Priest of Ptra (L2 Liche Priest, Lore of Light)
Dios, Priest of the Mortuary Cult (L1 Liche Priest, Lore of Nehekhara)
Anubis, Priest of Djaf (L1 Liche Priest, Lore of Death)

Core
30 Skeleton Warriors (full command)
20 Skeleton Arches (full command)
4 Chariots

Special
Khemrian Warsphinx
24 Tomb Guard (full command)

Rare
Hierotitan
Casket of Souls

Monsters & Magic
Young Forest Dragon
Carnosaur
Great Eagle w/ Feathers of the Iron Phoenix

I'm actually wondering if my Orcs and Goblins might not fair somewhat better with a similar setup with regard to the monsters, I will likely exchange the carno for a Cockatrice if I can manage to stump up the cash for one as the added mobility will make a massive difference to a TK army.

GodlessM
09-07-2011, 21:37
What do the Feathers do?

empra
09-07-2011, 21:45
5+ scaly skin, not great but there is nothing else that those points could be used for (but i'm not a fan of armour saves less than 4+ so eh)

Spiney Norman
10-07-2011, 07:29
Yep, gotta use my last 5pts for something.

Actually I'm considering swapping the carnosaur out for my Giant and using the 10pts that frees up to get the flame roc upgrade for the eagle instead (+1 str & flaming attacks).

I'm less enthusiastic about the carny since I discovered wizards on fulcrums are immune to the multiple wounds rule.

I also noticed a glaring error in that I've not got Enkil's Kanopi, perhaps swapping it for the earthing rod on the hiero? Theres no way I'll be putting him on a fulcrum unless I'm utterly desperate.

Von Wibble
10-07-2011, 18:03
The carnosaur is a good monster killer, and in SOM you are pretty much guaranteed to face some monsters. I would use the dragon to kill fulcrum wizards and the carnosaur to kill monsters. Though for the few extra points I'd consider losing the eagle and investing in a second young dragon instead.

What puts me off the cockatrice is how easy it is to kill - a modest sized unit of missile troops has a chance.

With regard to your army, I am interested (as a fellow TK player) to know what dictated your choice of units. Personally I might consider losing the Hierotitan, as you get a lot of dice anyway, and getting 2 tomb scorpions instead. With kb the scorpion is a pretty good fulcrum taker, and cheap.

Spiney Norman
14-07-2011, 09:51
The carnosaur is a good monster killer, and in SOM you are pretty much guaranteed to face some monsters. I would use the dragon to kill fulcrum wizards and the carnosaur to kill monsters. Though for the few extra points I'd consider losing the eagle and investing in a second young dragon instead.

What puts me off the cockatrice is how easy it is to kill - a modest sized unit of missile troops has a chance.

With regard to your army, I am interested (as a fellow TK player) to know what dictated your choice of units. Personally I might consider losing the Hierotitan, as you get a lot of dice anyway, and getting 2 tomb scorpions instead. With kb the scorpion is a pretty good fulcrum taker, and cheap.

In any game where magic is important the casket and hierotitan are pretty much auto-includes. The warsphinx is basically there to help with enemy troop blocks, then it was a few blocks of my own to park in front of the fulcrums and a small unit of chariots to secure the flank of the army.

I was constrained a little by the models I own if I'm honest.

14-07-2011, 11:46
I would consider giving tomb guard the 10 point banner in rulebook for flaming attacks to stop regeneration, plus a chimera (if you can get one) would be better than the forest dragon, what else in your collection do you have to pick from?