PDA

View Full Version : Am I brave or foolish!? Wood Elves, here we come!

BBWags
09-07-2011, 01:24
I am very nervous about playing Wood Elves, but I just can't shake my love for them. Their fluff is the best of any army, with only Bretonnia as a close second. The Woodies are "good" but can find a reason to fight just about anyone, and above all they just FEEL right...

... Though I'm not sure if that will translate at all to the table top. At any rate, I haven't bought a single model yet, but I was hoping to get a good idea of what I can make work before I spend lots of money. So here goes-

2500 points

Highborn- Bow of Loren, Arcane Bodkins, Amaranthine Brooch, Scout kindred (goes with the waywatchers)

Spellweaver- level 4 (probably life), Wand of Wycherley Elm, Talisman of Preservation

Noble- BSB, Hail of Doom Arrow, Extra Hand Weapon

20 Glade Guard- Musician, Standard, Banner of Springtide

10 Glade Guard- Musician, Standard

10 Glade Guard- Musician, Standard

14 Dryads- Branch Nymph

6 Treekin- Treekin Elder

Treeman

2 Great Eagle

9 Waywatchers

The basic thought is the waywatchers deploy in the enemy backfield and cause all sorts of havoc. The eagles shoot over the battlefield to join them in hunting down war machines or tying up enemy archers that could really hurt my glade guard. The forest spirits run interference, intercepting enemy combatants who want to take out the Glade Guard and steal my very few banners. The Spellweaver goes in one of the smaller units of Glade Guard and buffs and regenerates casualties as best she can.

Any thoughts, whether tactical or list oriented? Thanks for any suggestions!

Kai Itzah
09-07-2011, 10:26
As I understand it, Waywatchers aren't Scouts, so a Scout Kindred cannot deploy with them. Waywatchers specifically "deploy at the same time as Scouts" but the way they deploy is unique, different from normal Scout deployment. This may have been FAQed, but I'm pretty sure only a Waywatcher Kindred can deploy with a unit of Waywatchers.

I don't think the Banner of Springtide is worth it, you're ebtter off with the Banner of Eternal Flame.

Other than that it looks pretty good.

sninsch
09-07-2011, 10:48
I think the nobel BSB loses his bow, so he has no weapon to shoot the Hail of Doom arrow.

BBWags
09-07-2011, 10:58
Man that is bad news on both accounts... I will look into these and post a revision. Thanks for the heads up!

thesheriff
09-07-2011, 22:08
Well, you could just make the highborn waywatcher kindred.

And give the bsb Asydeis bane. Although I prefer my bsb's defensive (armour if destiny, shield)

At any rate, it's a good list. Couple of things, the highborn could become alter kindred, and take the 4++ vs shooting. 5 shots from the bow too.

I'd also keep banner of springtide, and put banner of fore on a unit of 10. S soon as they cause a wound to something, regen is gone for the shooting phase. So you don't necessarily want it on the big unit.

I think dryads work best in small units, msu os good. There only there for contributing attacks, flank bonus and charge bonus. There doesn't need to be 14 of them. For this, drop the Eldar upgrade for the treekin and the branchnymph. That will get you enough pts for a extra 2 dryads easy.

thesheriff

Sylvos
10-07-2011, 05:50
As I understand it, Waywatchers aren't Scouts, so a Scout Kindred cannot deploy with them.

You can deploy Highborn or Noble's with Scout Kindred with Waywatchers.

samw
11-07-2011, 04:24
I think bow of loren, alter, arcane bodkins, stone of rebirth is the way to go. If you check the FAQ for the stone, it has suddenly become really good.

"Q: Can the ward save from the stone of rebirth be used more than once?
A: Yes"

http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m1610151a_FAQ_WoodElves_V1_2.pdf

myrdinn
11-07-2011, 08:16
It's a good list. Definitely take Life with your weaver, and I'd consider splitting the big unit of GG out into 2 blocks of ten. As someone said, 2 units of dryads is probably better than one.

A lot of people on here will tell you that a) waywatchers have been nixed in 8th ed and b) you need more treekin. Personally I'd say that an MSU-style army like this still works, you just have a steep learning curve getting used to it.

BBWags
11-07-2011, 13:27
Thanks, everyone, for the comments! I'm very much considering a lot of changes to this list and hope to post another list soon.

But before I do that, a few questions to guide my revisions...

What do you think about going armor save free. I mean, none of the elves have saves anyway, if the get in CC they WILL lose. And since I want to have shooty characters, they will lose in CC even if they have a decent save. So what if I save the points on saves and go increased offense!

AM1640
11-07-2011, 16:29
Hi, I have a very shooty WE list and I find that the Alter High born is good but don't try and scout forward with him too much. Enemy magic, shooting, scouts, fast cavalry will kill him really quick.
$0 Glade guard shots a round directed at 1 target will do some damage. However against a horde it is almost pointless, especially at strength 3.
Waywatchers are usefull but don't expect to always get to deploy them behind the enemy. More often they get placed in front of the enemy since a good opponent will see that you have them and deploy so you have no room to put them down. Don't be afraid to use this to alter your opponent's deploy and then put them down in you own deployment zone.
Dryads are really good but in big units their extra attack will be lost. Small units are the way to go.
Keep the pair of eagles, and the trees.
Life is good magic, but don't be afraid to try other lores.
And definately take the banner of eternal flame.

popisdead
11-07-2011, 22:57
If you really love Wood Elves, they are still good enough that in the hands of a competant general will do fine. However it means really playing tight and knowing the ins/outs very well.

Scout Highborn isn't a good option.

I do not believe you can give your BSB an xHW

Banner of Springtide isn't that good as generally thing charge from further than 4/5"s away.

Waywatchers have the same deployment as Scouts and for 7 points more have Add'l HWs, -1 to hit from shooting, +1 BS. In the end they are still just S3 bows where over one in 6 models will get a KB. I suggest just scouts as they are core as well.

BBWags
12-07-2011, 03:21
One of the biggest turn ons for me with waywatchers is their extreme maneuverability. They can shoot even when marching as skirmishers, get behind enemy lines, and unlike scouts, pose a significant threat to heavily armored units so they have to be dealt with. This helps you control how the opponent deploys and can also keep some of the enemy units from simply streaking straight across the board into the glade guard...