PDA

View Full Version : worst count as army idea ever?

sprugly
09-07-2011, 21:59
Ok so I'm at work and getting in a little play on pokemon, and my work mates are ripping me for my geeky ways ( all in good humour) and one of them says why don't you do a pokemon warhammer army?

At first I'm like, no that would be stupid but then I'm thinking about it while bored With the trivialities of serving the public and I begin the think. With the right scale toys, properly re painted, you could probably make a passable count as deamon or tyranid army! Little guys for troopy type things and larger scale models of bigger pokemon like gyarados or onyx for monsterous creatures.

Now I will probably never do this but its kinda tempting for a laugh.

Is this the worst idea ever? Does anyone have constructive criticism or suggestions purely for fun. Has this already been done?

Sprugly

IronEyeball
09-07-2011, 22:14
Can't be worse than Sanrio Marines.

sprugly
09-07-2011, 22:20
I love it when people paint bad ideas really well.

Sprugly

Wesser
09-07-2011, 22:46
Can't be worse than Sanrio Marines.

Wow...I.. I mean, no..no. I can't face that army. You win the Battle for Terra or whatever is at stake. No victory is worth fighting that

Hrw-Amen
09-07-2011, 22:50
I have thought of doing Codex Mini-fig. Maybe different elements, perhaps M-Tron, Space Police I & II, Blacktron I & II and so on representing different squads. Quite easy as well as no painting required and minimal assembly. Just a tad expensive to get all those old classic models. I suppose you could do ADU instead?

The bearded one
09-07-2011, 23:03
Look what google turned up!

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s98/Sanctjud/motivator1089935.jpg

fluffymcfluff
10-07-2011, 00:20

Awesome!. That is all.

Latro_
10-07-2011, 00:37
yep its a cardboard cutout nid army, as i remember the guy who did this was very brash about how some folks wanna just play and shoudlent have to buy models etc... ofc 99% of people gave the 'cheap-ass!' response.

Son of Morkai
10-07-2011, 00:57
I saw a skaven counts-as Imperial Guard army at a GT long long ago. It was actually pretty cool looking... until a judge came along to score his army and started asking questions.

"Where's your HQ?"
Guy pointed to a random skaven.
"Where's his combi-melta?"
Guy points to a candle.

:confused:

As for the Mokepanz... do it. Totally do it. Chaos Daemons. Use all Fighting types for Khornate Daemons, Psychic types for Tzeentch... um.... um... Poison for Nurgle... and............. Smoochum and Jynx for Slaanesh...? CHAOS IS A STRANGE AND WILEY AND WE CANNOT HOPE TO UNDERSTAND IT'S WAYS.

Chem-Dog
10-07-2011, 01:18
Chaos....

Has standards.....

:p

Axeman1n
10-07-2011, 01:25
"You no take candle!"
Thunderwolf cavalry using My Little Ponies comes to mind as a really bad idea.
Anything to do with power puff girls, or teletubbies, or care bears would be bad too.

SgtTaters
10-07-2011, 01:38
Is this the worst idea ever? Does anyone have constructive criticism or suggestions purely for fun. Has this already been done?

Sprugly

There are lots of pokemon gashapon, that is small plastic vending machine toys, that would fit in 40k scale. Not perfect but suitable for tabletop.
The highest quality set has all pokemon sized to scale with one another. I believe it's called "Pokemon evolution gashapon"

It would work best as a Kill-team or combat patrol scale force so you can customize a small force.
Say with Grey Knights, the Inquisitor is your trainer and his acolytes are the pokemon. Six quick pokemon...

Death Cult Assassin= scyther's slash and agility
Crusader= graveler's tough shell and heavy fists
Plasmagun acolyte= Pikachu's dangerous electricity
Meltagun acolyte= Charmander with his flaming breath
heavy bolter servitor= bulbasaur and razorleaf
Daemonhost= Ditto

Dark Eldar are also a good fit with beastmasters
clawed fiend= Primape with rage
razor flock= dugtrio, any swarming pokemon
kymera= any agile pokemon

canonically within the various pokemon timelines Pokemon have been used for war and men have fought alongside them. The mangas also tended to have more violence, such as pokemon bisecting one another or melting zombies. There's also quite a lot of 40k-Pokemon crossover art
40k and pokemon have the same target audience anyways.

and Sprugly, the worst count-as army idea is replacing the Primarch's with My Little Ponies to have Pinkie Pie and Rainbow Dash chapter ponymarines.

Gensuke626
10-07-2011, 01:55
"You no take candle!"
Thunderwolf cavalry using My Little Ponies comes to mind as a really bad idea.
Anything to do with power puff girls, or teletubbies, or care bears would be bad too.

It depends...the new MLP show is pretty awesome.

I saw a skaven counts-as Imperial Guard army at a GT long long ago. It was actually pretty cool looking... until a judge came along to score his army and started asking questions.

"Where's your HQ?"
Guy pointed to a random skaven.
"Where's his combi-melta?"
Guy points to a candle.

:confused:

As for the Mokepanz... do it. Totally do it. Chaos Daemons. Use all Fighting types for Khornate Daemons, Psychic types for Tzeentch... um.... um... Poison for Nurgle... and............. Smoochum and Jynx for Slaanesh...? CHAOS IS A STRANGE AND WILEY AND WE CANNOT HOPE TO UNDERSTAND IT'S WAYS.

I would think that Lopunny would also make a great Slaaneshi Daemon.

jack da greenskin
10-07-2011, 02:04
Pokemon 40k has to be done with tau, sorry. I've deliberated it myself actually :L

Born Again
10-07-2011, 03:22
yep its a cardboard cutout nid army, as i remember the guy who did this was very brash about how some folks wanna just play and shoudlent have to buy models etc... ofc 99% of people gave the 'cheap-ass!' response.

I can beat that. I know of a guy who doesn't even bother with printing out images of the models, he just has stand-up pieces of blank card with "termagant" "genestealer" "carnifex" etc written on them. Strange enough, he does it with Tyranids too. What is it with tyranid players? :p

ReveredChaplainDrake
10-07-2011, 03:27

If ever something needed more cowbell...

Probably the goofiest I've seen is the "Bloodletter" army where a guy took a bunch of A-to-Z red fridge magnets and glued them onto 25mm bases. And back in the days of True LOS abuse, I recall somebody using epic-scale minis on 40k-scale bases. It was hilarious... for about two seconds.

Then again, back in the day, I started the hobby by taking what I learned from an intro game and making cardboard cutouts of bases with "Space Marine" and "Eldar" written on them. Using what little I knew about game mechanics (and fudging what I didn't), I managed to play what would have then qualified as full-sized games without spending a penny. In fact, I'm surprised more new players don't do this.

drmarco
10-07-2011, 03:38
Not to go too far off topic, but the original rogue trader rulebook had printed 'counters' in the 'battle for the farm' scenario at the back...it advocated photocopying them, cutting them out and using them in place of marine/ork minis to 'get you started'. Heck, even the original 40k boxed set with it's shedloads of plastic marines, orks and grots had a cardboard orky dread to be used...how far we've come, huh? :)

Cheers,

Marco

madprophet
10-07-2011, 03:52
Not to go too far off topic, but the original rogue trader rulebook had printed 'counters' in the 'battle for the farm' scenario at the back...it advocated photocopying them, cutting them out and using them in place of marine/ork minis to 'get you started'.

I'm a grognard with 30 years as a wargamer and this is a venerable method of deciding whether or not to invest in a particular army - make an army list, use counters to represent your figures and play 3-4 games with it to decide if you like the army well enough to invest $300-500 and 3-6 months modeling time in building it. I've rejected a lot of armies by this method.

I also chose my core force, my beloved Imperial Guard (18th Lyubov Rifles) by this method as well.

Born Again
10-07-2011, 06:31
If ever something needed more cowbell...

Probably the goofiest I've seen is the "Bloodletter" army where a guy took a bunch of A-to-Z red fridge magnets and glued them onto 25mm bases. And back in the days of True LOS abuse, I recall somebody using epic-scale minis on 40k-scale bases. It was hilarious... for about two seconds.

Let's not forget the old chestnut about taking the already mentioned cardboard Ork Dred from 2nd edition, and having it advance down the board in a sideways crab-walk, allowing it to hide behind the thinnest of terrain. What's more, because it came in a GW boxed game, it could technically qualify as a 'legal' model in tournaments :cheese:

Aliarzathanil
10-07-2011, 21:38
As long as I don't have to know what each of the Pokemons(?) do, than it's fine, but stupid.

sprugly
10-07-2011, 22:01
The plural of pokemon is still pokemon, however you are correct that it would be stupid. Lol
Sprugly

daemonprinceyourself
11-07-2011, 02:40
It may be stupid, but it would be the most brilliant thing I've ever seen. Just saying.

NerZuhl
11-07-2011, 09:44
I think Pokemon for Daemons would be perfect.

However, every time you DS you have to shout "XXXX I Choose You!"

I still think Sprue Necrons are the best worst count as army ever. It is even 100% GW

Thoume
11-07-2011, 10:51
I'll admit that as a kid I tried to make a tabletop pokemon ruleset based off 40k, with some terrible clay and milliput sculpts to test it out. Thankfully it didn't go much further than that...! :p

A friend of mine makes pixel art / sprite art out of these little beads, usually 8-16bit characters with each bead representing a pixel. Wonder how terribad a Sprite Marine army would be? It would be like the carboard cutout army but a tad more durable!

Ok, this is a StarCraft marine, but something like this on a smaller scale: http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4124/4998663885_a3a2e04df6.jpg :D

jack da greenskin
11-07-2011, 12:31
The plural of pokemon is still pokemon,
Sprugly

QFT.

I still think Sprue Necrons are the best worst count as army ever. It is even 100% GW

link for those not in the know, (http://easternfringe.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=74721#74721) but your comment is tempting me to do something similar for when necrons are re-released... Tourney legal, GW hobby center legal I hope...

RandomThoughts
11-07-2011, 12:31
Back in 2003ish when I tried to get back into 40K with extremely limited budget, I started to use base-sized printouts with tiny sketches of the models I wanted on them.

Then, two years ago or so when Warmachine caught my interest, I did something similar again, except this time it was model name in white letters on background colored according to faction. I still use these when I want to experiment with models I don't have or play an introduction game since I only own models from one faction so far.

I also own some beatifully done terrain-printouts. A few autumn forests, a bunch of lakes that can be used without problems with real models/terrain as well, stuff like that. :D

Vipoid
11-07-2011, 12:32
I haven't seen these sort of stand-ins on an army-wide scale (although I probably would let someone use a pokemon army for sheer amusement).

My favourite single model stand-ins were all done by the same friend:

3) A small, plastic, olympian statue as the Eldar Avatar.

2) pieces of wood, sellotaped together into a square, which represented a Necron Monolith.

1) A cardboard rhino, made from folded Magic the Gathering cards, held together with duct tape (and done quite well in terms of the overall shape). He used to have two of these, until a different friend sat on one.

Easy E
11-07-2011, 13:09
link for those not in the know, (http://easternfringe.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=74721#74721)

That might be the coolest 40K army I have seen in a long, long, long, time.

The love that went into each of those models. Just wow.

Frankly, I think that is inspired and borderline Art.

Thoume
11-07-2011, 13:21
You know, after seeing them for perhaps the 4th or 5th time I think I might be inspired enough to have a use for the big bucket of sprue I have kicking around...! :D

wbarretw
11-07-2011, 20:38
let me see your pokemans!

biggreengribbly
11-07-2011, 23:05
Ok, this is a StarCraft marine, but something like this on a smaller scale: http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4124/4998663885_a3a2e04df6.jpg :D

OT slightly, but That is furiously awesome. :shifty: