PDA

View Full Version : most popular way to play dwarfs?

adam-stronach
10-07-2011, 07:29
i aquired sizable amount of dwarfs(4000pts). whats the most popular way of playing them in 2-2500pt games?

danny-d-b
10-07-2011, 07:57
Dwarfs work best this edition as a ballanced force- take 2-3 blocks of troops and some warmashines and go from there

adam-stronach
10-07-2011, 08:14
what size blocks?

wascloud
10-07-2011, 08:44
For dwarfs since that are fairly expensive I would suggest 30 max, any more than that and you won't have the unit count to prevent your opponent enveloping and grinding you down

adam-stronach
10-07-2011, 08:50
how about handgunners/quarrellers?

Dark Aly
10-07-2011, 09:12
I dislike having too much artillery and missile troops as it makes you play too deffensive and results in slightly stagnant games. As a result my dwarfs usually consist of 1 unit of veterans (hammerers, longbeards or iron breakers) at 30ish models, two units of 30 warriors with great weapons, a cannon, grudge thrower and other things to taste. Thats the usual basis but never forget a BSB as it is highly embarrasing when your proud Ld9 wariors flee :(

adam-stronach
10-07-2011, 10:14
arent dwarfs meant to be defencive?

wascloud
10-07-2011, 10:17
Dwarfs certainly can play defensively, it just won't be much fun, for you or your opponent. Honestly I would go with a balanced list as has been suggested

Matt.Wood88
10-07-2011, 10:31
If it were me, I would play an all hand to hand army :)
But then again, I hate defensive play, so yeah...
I would go with minimum core of warriors with 2 units of hand weapon and shield, one with great weapons, longbeards with great weapons, iron breakers, slayers, that kind of thing :)
But that's because I hate snooty armies :P
Cheers
Matt

adam-stronach
10-07-2011, 10:53
the thing is i have 30 old metal handgunners.

Dark Aly
10-07-2011, 11:03
you don't have to use them all at less than 3000 points. You said in the OP that you have 4000 points and want to play 2000-2500 point games, so some models will always be left behind. I usually bring 16 quarellers with great weapon as a support unit (Bugman's rangers) as one of my "add things to taste" so some shooting units can and should be included just not loads.

By all means try a gunline. Then after you've played a dozen or so games you'll probably be bored and start adding in combat units. That's probably how most dwarf generals start anyway- I did.

Nkari
10-07-2011, 11:12
Have 1 of everything you can fit in.. =)

1 warrior block 30+
1 longbeards (either of these can be rangers if you want) 30+
1 Handgunner unit of 20 with full command ofc (if you got that)

1 special block, hammerers or ironbreakers 30+
1 miner block 20ish
1 cannon,
2 bolt throwers

1 Grudge thrower
1 Organ gun
1 Gyrocopter

Aaron Chapman
10-07-2011, 14:58
My tournament record with Dwarfs is 4 GT's = 16-W / 2-D / 2-L, With both a Best General and Best Overall Award. My force is made up of:

Dwarfs of Barag Khaz 2500

"Furgil Ironfist" (Runelord) @ 288 Pts
General; Gromril Armour; Shield
Runic Talisman:
-Master Rune of Balance (Dwarfs: +1DD / Enemy: -1PD)
-Rune of Spellbreaking (x2) (Dispel Scrolls)
Runic Armour:
-Rune of Preservation (Immune to KB/Poison)
-Rune of Resistance (Re-roll Armor Save)
-Rune of Stone (+1 Armor)

"Morgrim Firmheart" (Thane) @ 165 Pts
Battle Standard; Gromril Armour
Runic Armour:
-Master Rune of Gromril (1+ Armor Save)
-Rune of Preservation (Immune to KB/Poison)
-Rune of Resistance (Re-roll Armor)
Runic Talisman:
-Rune of the Furnace (2+ Ward against Flaming Attacks)
Runic Weapon:
-Rune of Fire (Flaming Attacks)

"Grungi's Finest" 38x (Hammerers) @ 536 Pts
Great Weapon; Heavy Armour; Full Command
Runic Banner:
-Master Rune of Grugni (5+ Ward from missiles all Dwarfs in 6")

"Picqueters" 40x (Rangers - Warriors) @ 455 Pts
Great Weapon; Heavy Armour; Standard; Musician; Scouts

"Ale Guard" 40x (Warriors) @ 415 Pts
Great Weapon; Heavy Armour; Standard; Musician

"Sting" Bolt Thrower @ 65 Pts
4x Crew (Engineer)
Engineering Runes:
-Rune of Burning (Flaming Attacks)

"Old Reliable" (Cannon #1) @ 140 Pts
4x Crew (Engineer)
Engineering Runes:
-Rune of Forging (Re-roll Artillery Dice Misfires)

"Grimner's Revenge" (Cannon #2) @ 145 Pts
4x Crew (Engineer)
Engineering Runes:
-Rune of Burning (Flaming Attacks)
-Rune of Forging (Re-roll Artillery Dice Misfires)

"Gob-Lobber" (Grudge Thrower) @ 170 Pts
4x Crew (Engineer)
Engineering Runes:
-Rune of Accuracy (Re-roll Scatter)
-Rune of Penetrating (x2) (+2 Strength)

"Splat" (Organ Gun) @ 120 Pts
3x Crew

+3 Dispel Dice
-1 Power Dice from Enemy
2x Dispel Scrolls
+2 to All Dispel Rolls

Lord: 11% / Hero: 6% / Core: 34% / Special: 42% / Rare: 4%
Number of Deployments: 4 (+1 Scouts)
Infantry: 120 / Artillery: 5
Total Army Cost: 2499 pts

------------------------------------------------------

List of Tournaments:

11/2010 - "Alamo" Indy GT - San Antonio, TX (http://www.bugmansbrewery.com/topic/31700-alamo-gt-battle-report) : 3-1-1

01/2011 - "Shiloh Slaughter" Indy GT - Fayetteville, AR (http://www.bugmansbrewery.com/topic/31932-shiloh-slaughter-indy-gt-2011) : 5-0-0 "Best General"

04/2011 - "Lonewolf" Indy GT - Dallas, TX (http://www.bugmansbrewery.com/topic/32880-lonewolf-indy-g-t-dallas-49-10) : 3-1-1

06/2011 - "Capital City Carnage" Indy GT - Austin, TX (http://www.bugmansbrewery.com/topic/33854-capitol-city-carnage-indy-g-t-austin-june-4th-5th) : 5-0-0 "Best Overall"

------------------------------------------------------

Basicly it is a fairly balanced build (only removing BS-based shooting as I find it too ineffective). Artillery Thins out large blocks, kills off a couple powerful elite models and drops the really big monsters. Then Magic defense shuts down all but the most powerful casters. Finally our forces engage in close combat whith their's being depleted usually and hordes of Greatweapons smash the fragile enemy to bits.

It is the most competative I can make it (so far) and if you want a 2500 pt force this is where I'd start.

My characters are there for both accepting/issuing challenges (but usually don't kill the enemy, just hold them off from killing the unit). The characters are purely for supporting the infantry with re-rolls on LD and protecting them from Horde-destroying magic spells. Typically the enemy will not be able to kill either of them unless they focius heavily on their destruction. Most of the time if they direct too many attacks on the characters they just bounce off and have now wasted attacks that could have killed normal Dwarfs with relative ease and may have caused themselves to lose the combat and break.

I find that 30 Dwarfs in a unit just isn't enough to handle everything out there. 40 gives me 10 extra bodies and full ranks while in a horde formation. Horde formation is where GW-Warriors are at their mosrt dangerous, so that's my default formation. 30x attacks againstunits that are 80mm wide or more is amazingly powerful, there are rarely any situations where this is not beneficial to the Dwarfs.

If I drop points down to 2000 points then I'd drop the Bolt Thrower and a Cannon and use 30 Warriors & 30 Hammerers, at these points I don't need quite as manay troops as long as I still have 1x Cannon, 1x Organ Gun and 1x Grudge Thrower to cripple the enemy's most deadly monsters/units.

adam-stronach
11-07-2011, 02:58
idont have that many hamerrers. nor any thing else save warriors andf longbeards.

Kaiserdean
11-07-2011, 22:52
Handgunners and quarrellers are just warriors with shooty bits. I field them in blocks.

However, I often field my dwarf army in blocks of 25, and march forward aggressively with only shooting coming from warmachines. Since you can charge 2d6 +move and always march, dwarf movement is far less encumbered than in previous editions.

Plus, my opponents rarely suspect this tactic and are usually surprised when dwarfs start to outflank them...

sulla
12-07-2011, 06:52
great weapons, great weapons, great weapons (any flavour from the list), artillery, artillery, artillery, artillery (any flavour from the list), a general and a bsb (as unkillable as you can make them) and a couple of rune-guys.

Not rocket science, just efficient and boring.

adam-stronach
12-07-2011, 08:52
is there a flavourable way to play dwarfs? even if its not very competitive.

Harwammer
12-07-2011, 11:29
Drunk, grumpy and vengeful would be the flavourable way to play dwarfs. I'm not sure what that has to do with tactics though?

Grimmeth
12-07-2011, 11:46
Ninja Dwarfs!?

Josef Bugman, couple of units of Rangers and some Miners always tempted me, you could then add a bit more of a solid core to that as needed.

Kaiserdean
12-07-2011, 15:00
Another thing to keep in mind: since dwarfs are likely to attack last anyway, go ahead and take great weapons.

Hiding an Anvil in a corner is also an often-used tactic.

adam-stronach
12-07-2011, 19:10
i like these ideas! :)

Flash Felix
12-07-2011, 21:27
Not rocket science, just efficient and boring.

As efficient and boring as Shadow Lvl 4, Cauldron, Corsair/Witch Elf Hordes, Black Guard, massed RXBs and double Hydra maybe? With a side-order of MINDRAZOR!!!!! as well?

adam-stronach
12-07-2011, 22:32
is that sarcasm?

adam-stronach
13-07-2011, 05:38
well whats the most odd sort of list for dwarfs?

Aaron Chapman
13-07-2011, 05:59
If you want to be a maverick, max out Slayers with 3x 30 in each unit plus the required Slayer Characters. Then Take a huge unit of 50x Longbeards as core with the Strollaz Rune to rush the army forwards quickly.

You could also take 5x Hordes of 40x GW-Warriors. Bring a BSB and a Runesmith to round it out and you've got a huge army to walk across the field slow and steady.

russellmoo
13-07-2011, 16:59
Also, if your plan is to run the multiple slayer blocks and rush them forward- you might also want to include the MR of Grugni on a unit in the center- that way when you rush up you can help protect those slayers from being shot to pieces before they get there-

A good way to look at building a dwarf list is something like this- in order to be effective you should probably take- @2500- take at least 3 units (30+) with great weapons, at least +2 dispel dice, and a grudge thrower- As long as you meet these requirements you should be fairly competitive and from this point on you can go any direction you want with the rest of those points- (this is not the only way to be effective- but is great as a bare bones structure- think of it as a solid foundation with which to build a dwarf army upon)

Oh, yeah don't forget the BSB-

adam-stronach
15-07-2011, 01:34
what's the weirdest list out there?

calnen
10-08-2011, 10:32
what's the weirdest list out there?

Well, you could make weird ones that didn't work?

My favourite list to play is the 'zero deployments' list. Bugman, 2 big blocks of rangers, lots of miners, and possibly an invisible warmachine (or just a gyrocopter as your single deployment). It's great fun :) (But not as competitive as the above lists)

teafloy_the_damned
16-08-2011, 20:27
Well, you could make weird ones that didn't work?

My favourite list to play is the 'zero deployments' list. Bugman, 2 big blocks of rangers, lots of miners, and possibly an invisible warmachine (or just a gyrocopter as your single deployment). It's great fun :) (But not as competitive as the above lists)

Funky, quirky, edgy and suicidal.....I like it!