PDA

View Full Version : Characters in breaking units, negating rank bonuses and spellcasting in close combat

Wizzerdrix
10-07-2011, 22:41
Hi all. I've got three questions for you today.

1. I recently had a block of dwarven rangers with three heroes in the front line of the regiment wiped out because they turned tail and ran and the skeletons they were fighting caught up with them. Are three expensive characters with multiple wounds/hitpoints dead just like that? It seems crazy!

2. Is it true that you negate the enemy unit's rank bonus to combat resolution if you have them occupied in the front and you charge another unit in their side or rear? And can you achieve this with just a single unit if you win a round of combat at you overlap the enemy to get troops on their sides?

3. When is spellcasting in close combat permitted? Only with the spells where it specifically says so? And not with, say, an ordinary magic missile spell of some kind?

The bearded one
10-07-2011, 23:01
Hi all. I've got three questions for you today.

1. I recently had a block of dwarven rangers with three heroes in the front line of the regiment wiped out because they turned tail and ran and the skeletons they were fighting caught up with them. Are three expensive characters with multiple wounds/hitpoints dead just like that? It seems crazy!

yes, sadly dead, dead dead dead! How did you lose from the skeletons in the first place though? You should be beating the bejeezus out of them, especially with 3 heroes. Also remember that if those 3 heroes were all close together in the front line and several of the skeleton models were not in basecontact with any of your ranger models, those specific skeletons will have to direct their attacks to the heroes.

2. Is it true that you negate the enemy unit's rank bonus to combat resolution if you have them occupied in the front and you charge another unit in their side or rear? And can you achieve this with just a single unit if you win a round of combat at you overlap the enemy to get troops on their sides?

You negate an enemy's rankbonus if you have a unit with 2 ranks (also count the very first rank) in the flank or rear of an enemy unit. For example if a unit of dwarfs with 10 models, deployed in ranks of 5 wide, charges into the flank or rear of a unit of.. say.. 20 skeletons, than the skeletons do not count as having a rankbonus in combat. If the skeletons kill a couple of dwarfs so that the dwarfs don't have 2 ranks anymore, the skeletons will have a rankbonus again.

Overlapping is something that was possible in an edition long ago, but not anymore. In combat your unit has to stay in the same arc of your opponent's unit and can't move/reform into another.

3. When is spellcasting in close combat permitted? Only with the spells where it specifically says so? And not with, say, an ordinary magic missile spell of some kind?

in the back of the rulebook is a very handy table detailing when spells can be cast and when not, what requirements there are for casting them (like if the target should be within line of sight etc.)

Lord Zarkov
10-07-2011, 23:02
1) yes - the advantage of the characters is it's less likely you'll lose and run away, but if you do they die.

2) It depends on how big the flanking unit is. Any unit engaged it the flank or rear by a unit with at least two ranks (including the front one) loses it's rank bonus.

3) A wizard in combat may always cast spells (that aren't magic missiles) subject to any normal spell limitations (so he might have LOS issues for example).

Spells can only be cast at units in a combat if they specifically say so (including all Hex and Augment spells, see BRB p31)

Edit: Damn Ninjad

Yrrdead
11-07-2011, 05:47
I wouldn't recommend the spell casting type table in the back as it has error's in it.

NTJ2010
11-07-2011, 06:41
The only difference (I'm aware of from the FAQ) is that Augments and Hexes do NOT require line of sight (that was a change I put a book tab over since it's pretty huge)

T10
11-07-2011, 09:20

No. You do not need to engage the enemy in both the front and the flank/rear to disrupt it. A single unit of the appropriate formation in the flank/rear is sufficient.

Also, the rules for lapping round is no longer a part of the game.

-T10

Mercules
11-07-2011, 13:31
All of these questions are pretty clearly laid out in the BRB. The suggestion I would make would be to read it again.