PDA

View Full Version : Malcador or Marcharius?

cuda1179
10-07-2011, 23:24
I am going to be getting a new super-heavy tank for my Imperial Guard. I am torn between a Malcador with a battle cannon and a Marcharius with Vanquisher cannons.

I like both the same visually, but I am undecided which is better game-wise.

Which would you choose and why?

Mannimarco
11-07-2011, 00:18
Neither

The standard malcador is garbage. Basically its a leman russ with worse armour and there macharius is far to unwieldy being as it is a massive bullet magnet like the baneblade but without the baneblades damage output.

Personal opinion: Take a malcador but not the standard one. Tailor it to complement the rest of your list: Do you have a tonne of anti infantry weapons? Take the malcador annihilator . Do you have lots of anti tank? Take the defender.

TheScreamingGodKing
11-07-2011, 02:21
Why don't you get a bane blade or shadowsword or some other variant if this is all about in game ability

Monospot
11-07-2011, 02:35
I personally am a big fan of the Malcador defender, because it is a pillbox on treads. Best tank in the game? Nope. Cool looking? IMHO, yup.

cuda1179
11-07-2011, 04:10
Why don't you get a bane blade or shadowsword or some other variant if this is all about in game ability

As I've stated previously, I originally went with how I liked the look of them. THe tie-breaker is game effectiveness. THe reason I don't want a baneblade is because I all ready have two, and a shadowsword, and a Stormblade.;)

As I see it, the Malcador with three lascannons and a battlecannon is actually decent at anti-tank duty and not too over the top on points. The lower armor and sub-par anti-tank over 48 inches is a little frustrating though

The Marcharius Vanquisher on the other hand has a longer effective anti-tank range and better armor. However, it is more points, and only has anti-infantry for the secondary weapons. If it looses the Vanquisher cannons it is next to useless.

cuda1179
11-07-2011, 04:15
Since I am looking for an anti-tank ability, how would you rate the Valdor? Has anyone ever seen one used?

Commotionpotion
11-07-2011, 07:09
The Valdor is a glorified LR Destroyer, and has the same central issue - one-shot heavy AT weapons are not to be relied upon when the vehicle in question has BS3.

The Malcador variants pretty much all have the issue of limited traverse weaponry to deal with - they mount a lot of guns, but can only really bring two at a time to bear on any given target.

Bunnahabhain
11-07-2011, 09:48
Macharius.

This is as they are easy to convert from 1:35 scale heavy tanks, so mine cost under 30. Well, the plain one did. The one based on a motorised chassis was a little more...

Efficient in game? No but fun.

Commotionpotion
11-07-2011, 10:17
Bunnanhabhain: what tanks did you use to convert your Macharius? I keep looking at 1:35 Char B1 models as a basis for Malcador chassis models.

Bunnahabhain
11-07-2011, 10:40
Tiger I. I'd seen the motorised 1:35 version, had the idea ( about the time the macharius first came out), so bought the plain one as a testbed, which I could convert without risking wrecking an expensive kit. I also wanted a decent size turret for those guns...

I've fitted side skirts, to make them look much more Imperial, altered the profile considerably, and fitted marine tank sponsons, to avoid having a gunner in the suspension...

A Char B1? that would work. The shop didn't have a Tamiya motorised kit for that though...

Drakcore Bloodtear
11-07-2011, 11:34
The Marcharius Vanquisher on the other hand has a longer effective anti-tank range and better armor. However, it is more points, and only has anti-infantry for the secondary weapons. If it looses the Vanquisher cannons it is next to useless.

Well actually the Vanquisher Cannon is fantastic against infantry, a S8, AP3, 7" blast is not something to dimissed