PDA

View Full Version : SoM Miscast(I think I am feeling odd)

Rogzor87
11-07-2011, 00:39
So I am reading this and I have a question about this as I sometimes play daemons.

SoM Miscast (roll of a 5, I think i am feeling Odd)
Pink Horrors. I assume the entire unit gets turned into frogs. But when your rolling a d6 to make them switch back to normal. Do I have to roll once for the Unit. Or once for every model in the unit? They are treated as a single wizard but the rule calls for each model to roll to turn back.

So say a unit of 30. gets turned into frogs. I roll 30 dice and x-amount get turned back into normal or i roll 1 dice and they all could get turned back into normal. In addition, if its the roll for each Horror individually. Do you not count the Frog-horrors when determining magic level and such?

Lord Zarkov
11-07-2011, 00:49
Since the whole unit is a single wizard, by RAW the unit would turn into a single frog.
How that would work for wounds etc I don't know (wounds = # of Horrors perhaps?)

Most sensible solution to my mind would be for each Horror to turn into a frog, but roll once for the entire unit (save book keeping etc), but that has little basis in RAW.

You could roll for each model I guess (champ would have to be done separately, and I guess you can choose which models go at the front), but it'd be a right pain to deal with incoming damage, although it is closer to RAW than my suggestion.

In short, it's probably one of those things you have to talk over with your opponent before the game starts.

Hope that's slightly helpful

theunwantedbeing
11-07-2011, 01:04
You pick a model in the horror unit to cast from.
This model is who suffers the miscast, not the entire unit.

Rogzor87
11-07-2011, 01:08

The miscast says all wizards (Friend or Foe) are turned into frogs though. So if its you who miscast or an enemy and this is the miscast result. I am trying to figure out what would actually happen.

This seems like it would be a hotmess to figure out though honestly.
Since they are a single wizard do they become 1 giant frog? that has 1 wound? Or does it wounds = the number of guys in the unit?(no idea honestly).
Do they become lots of little frogs? Do you roll once to turn them back to normal?(Rule says to roll for each model) Or do you roll for each individual model?
Do the Frog-Horrors count towards the pink horrors magic level?

Lord Zarkov
11-07-2011, 01:12
Yeah, the horrors don't necessarily have to be the ones who rolled the miscast - hence the problem.

The bearded one
11-07-2011, 01:56
I don't think any of the rules will give a clear answer.

The way I would handle it however, would be to turn the entire unit into frogs and roll for the unit as a whole.

GodlessM
11-07-2011, 02:20
Actually the clear answer is none of the above; Horrors never suffer the effects of a miscast but rather take D6 wounds with no saves instead.

The bearded one
11-07-2011, 02:22
This isn't really "suffering the effects of a miscast" as in taking Str10 hits or losing wizard levels, as it is someone else miscasting and affecting other wizards though, but the distinction is rather unclear.

Rogzor87
11-07-2011, 02:29
Actually the clear answer is none of the above; Horrors never suffer the effects of a miscast but rather take D6 wounds with no saves instead.

Thats only if Pink Horrors Miscast does that happen. They don't roll on the table they take d6 wounds. The question is more of what happens if another wizard miscasts or the opponents miscast and that result is rolled.

TrojanWolf
11-07-2011, 06:49
Hopefully this one'll get errata'd quick.

I tend to agree with GodlessM on this one. I'd say that the unit would suffer it's D6 casualties and be left at that.

If it were the opposite, I'd say the whole unit would be turned into one giant frog (since it counts as a single wizard for magic purposes) with wounds equal to the remaining number of Horrors. Having a giant, one wound frog would just be stupid as you'd see every available gun turned on them in the very next opponents shooting phase. Losing a 40 strong unit of Horrors to one mundane bow would be ridiculous.

No matter how Tzeentch-y it would be. :D

OldMaster
11-07-2011, 08:28
Hopefully this one'll get errata'd quick.

I tend to agree with GodlessM on this one. I'd say that the unit would suffer it's D6 casualties and be left at that.

If it were the opposite, I'd say the whole unit would be turned into one giant frog (since it counts as a single wizard for magic purposes) with wounds equal to the remaining number of Horrors. Having a giant, one wound frog would just be stupid as you'd see every available gun turned on them in the very next opponents shooting phase. Losing a 40 strong unit of Horrors to one mundane bow would be ridiculous.

No matter how Tzeentch-y it would be. :D

Seconded :D

Go giant Tzeentch frogs :D

Mr_Rose
11-07-2011, 10:30
I can just hear the truly epic rumbling bass "RIBBIT?" of surprise such a transformed unit would produce, rolling like a wave of thunder across the battlefield and freaking out everyone that hears feels it.

Lord Zarkov
11-07-2011, 11:19
Forgeworld Toad Dragon has about the same footprint as a Horror unit right? :p

Lex
11-07-2011, 15:11
How do you put Horrors on the Fulcrum? I thought the rules said only a "model" could be placed on a Fulcrum.

scarletsquig
11-07-2011, 15:13

Ever since finecast launched I'm having major trouble viewing the word miscast in the context of magic...

Tregar
11-07-2011, 15:26
How do you put Horrors on the Fulcrum? I thought the rules said only a "model" could be placed on a Fulcrum.

You can't put them on there, I don't think anyone is referring to the Horrors' own miscast causing this effect.

drear
11-07-2011, 15:38
nothing, as a horror unit cannot get onto a fulcrum.

if you could put a unit of horrors on a fulcrum, you would never ever take them off, thats all they'd need to do was dispell cantrips and they would decimate any lone thing attacking it.

edit: every wizard on the feild gets the result i see :D well then
did the wurrzag squig spell get faq'd to deal with the same issue?

Lex
11-07-2011, 15:41
You can't put them on there, I don't think anyone is referring to the Horrors' own miscast causing this effect.

It would seem some believe it is since they are discussing D6 wounds for miscasting. That only has an effect when the Horrors miscast. Anything that says "all wizards" from another wizard's miscast should affect them as stated in the result. My vote would be one frog for the whole unit.

PaintByNumbers
11-07-2011, 16:04
I have to admit, seeing a unit of 40ish toads would be epic.

Tregar
11-07-2011, 16:26
It would seem some believe it is since they are discussing D6 wounds for miscasting.

Well, GodlessM was, but even then it wasn't in the context of putting horrors onto a Fulcrum.