PDA

View Full Version : Vampire Counts Nercomancer SoM

Bloodmire
11-07-2011, 02:58
So I really love the new necromancer model for Vampire Counts, the one Storms of Magic expansion - yes that one! Anyways, well now I want to use the Goth Grandpa looking sod in a game of SoM (since I just put 3 hours of detail into him). This is were I need you guys. Is there any ideas to make this Necromancer last, I mean the full six rounds or at least five. I plan on him dying, I mean he is going to be on the Fulcrums taking hits, duels, etc. I just don't to have it be top of round one - Wood Elf Glade Archers advance 20 arrow volley, fail Necromancer. I can't find anything to give him. He is allowed 50 points of Magic Items for all the non-VC players. But he cant take Magic Armor so crap on that - Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Dante blackfur
11-07-2011, 04:36
he gets a 3++ ward if he's on a Falcrum. :)

Bloodmire
11-07-2011, 04:55
Regardless - he has two wounds.
20 shots, BS4, long range probably - 4s to hit (10 hits)
Str3 - T3, 4s to wound (5 wounds)

Even if he gets past the first, whats to stop the second. A 3+ Ward save is useless when that many dice are involved. Its pure dicehammer :confused: Sure he may survive the first round suffering one wound, but 5 more rounds..

3+ Ward Save you better be good!!

Bloodmire
11-07-2011, 05:01
Hey good news! My buddy just smacked me a told me that Fulcrums offer protection - they count as buildings. So you will get an additional -2 to BSs because of Hard Cover. Yay!:)

samw
11-07-2011, 05:38
Of course that gives you a new set of problems, since they can take the flaming attacks banner (re-roll to wound against models in buildings), and don't even start thinking about cannons (D6 HITS each causing D6 WOUNDS).

I think your best defence is a good offence. Wolves, bats, zombies, anything to kill off and tie up enemy missile troops, and an obsidian trinket to bump you to 2+ against any enemy magic.

Bloodmire
11-07-2011, 07:30
Actually the rules state that it can only be one hit per model. The Arcane Fulcrum also has the special rules that doesn't allow Multiply Wounds. So cannonball makes its hit. Wounds on 2+. I save the single wound on a 3+. I still hate these ideas of the Necromancer just failing miserably. Im pretty sure I will leave him at home the first couple of games. Vampires are twice the points, but at all things aside, wth why not right?

Haravikk
11-07-2011, 12:26
Are Necromancers desperately expensive? Just take several of them :)

What Would Batman Do?
11-07-2011, 12:44
If it's more about the model than the actuall Necromancer, play him as a Vampire. He looks suitable for a Nechrarch.

artisturn
12-07-2011, 01:26
Nightshroud might be a good choice for the necromancer .

Any one attacking him lose their charging bonus,always strike first and are reduced to initiative 1 and points wise it is only slightly less then 7 night goblins.

So that will leave him some points for one more piece of equipment.

some_scrub
12-07-2011, 03:09
Actually the rules state that it can only be one hit per model. The Arcane Fulcrum also has the special rules that doesn't allow Multiply Wounds.

What rule makes it so the cannon can only hit one model?

I think a VC army can really benefit from taking a bunch of necromancers in a Storm of Magic game. I'm reasonably certain that wizards that aren't on the fulcrums can still cast the cataclysm spells, and don't have to suffer the Fulcrum miscasts either.

Also, some of the most important spells in SoM are the rather cheap cantrips that all wizards have access to. Having lots of wizards makes it easier to resolve some of those.

Lots of cheap necromancers to hold fulcrums, and a couple of powerful magic vampires to cast cataclysm spells seems like the way to go.

EnternalVoid
12-07-2011, 04:15
Some things.

First, the rule for templates and buildings just say the unit inside takes d6 hits, it does not say anything about only one hit per model. The Rules for the Fulcrum just said the model on it is immune to the special Multiple Wound rule. So a Cannon hitting the Fulcrums does do d6 S10 hits, just they don't do multiple wounds if they get through the ward. This can be dangerous as 2 cannon balls will average 7 hits, 6-7 wounds, and then you are likely to fail two of your ward saves. Will kill a necromancer just as easily as a vampire thrall for the most part.

Honestly I think having 2-3 dirt cheap necromancers would not be a bad idea, afterall you can get 3 for less then 200 points.

And yes, all wizards can cast cataclysm spells even if they are not on Fulcrums, your side just has to control the proper ratio of them.

Algovil
12-07-2011, 11:21
This is Great news, casting cataclysm when not on fulcrum that is. Then I can use a Vampire Lord, with the Black book of Ibn Nagazzar in a big unit of skeletons as my general. Give him the Carstein Ring, Put the Lichebone pennant in the unit, maybe Red Fury, infinite hatred, and blood drinker, give him the Flayed Hauberk for the rest of the points, a necro with ironcurse icon in the unit as well. Use Necromancers on the Fulcrums, and go crazy with the Vampire. I wonder how long he lasts. No Ward save, but the Ring could be great in SoM. Just IoN the unit with Necros, and go all out magic with the lord, since he does not need any powers for magic really, he is quite a fighter as well.