PDA

View Full Version : 1300pts Local Tourney, Ogres

kafrique
11-07-2011, 04:40
Hey, I've got a local tournament coming up and I've decided to do my best with the Ogres, who I just started. I can't say I'm optimistic. The rules are rather odd, IMHO. No Power Scroll, no Fortress, no Book, and, weirdly, only 2 magic items (including big names, runic stuff, etc.) in the whole army. Also no caster higher than Level 2. I'm trying a gutstar unless somone has a better suggestion, so I figure the Runemaw is basically a necessity. That leaves me with one item. I wanted to get a Butcher in as well, for the magic and the full rank of characters, but I didn't see a way to make him fit.

Tyrant
Cathayan Longsword, Heavy Armor, Luck Gnoblar

Bruiser
BSB, Great Weapon, Heavy Armor, Luck Gnoblar, Wyrdstone Necklace

6 Ironguts
Command, Runemaw

8 Bulls
Standard, Bellower

8 Trappers

Scraplauncher

Lord Inquisitor
11-07-2011, 05:14
I might be tempted to go for the Crown of Command as your other item. I would also go for Ironfists on both the characters, more defensive than the CLS. You can also put the Rune Maw on the BSB instead, meaning that you can decide which unit you put the characters in. I generally prefer to put the characters and Rune Maw on the BSB in a unit of bulls, because that way the characters are displacing bulls and the ironguts can usually hold their own without characters.

You might also consider the Wizard's Hat. Not one I usually consider, but it effectively gives you a Level 2 wizard (okay, random lore, but rulebook lores are all good). Expensive, but since you can only have one item, it might be one of the few cases where it is actually worth it for ogres.

The other thing is that I would swap out the trappers for 20 regular gnoblars. Or drop an ogre or two and buy them as well. You need some runemaw bait! Otherwise the rune maw isn't worth much.

kafrique
11-07-2011, 06:27
You're right I totally forgot Runemaw bait. I also can't take the Wizarding Hat because you can't take more 75 points total of magic items. This restriction is kind of silly but it's the store's first WHFB event and practically no one there is familiar with the game, so whatever works. I hadn't considered the Crown but it could be very useful. Perhaps this list? I put champs in both units so the first rank could potentially be full characters. Would an extra Ogre and a luck gnob for the Tyrant be more useful than the trappers?

Tyrant
Crown of Command, Heavy Armor, Ironfist

Bruiser BSB
Runemaw, Luck Gnoblar, Heavy Armor, Ironfist

6 Bulls
Command

6 Ironguts
Command

20 Gnoblars

8 Trappers

Scraplauncher

Lord Inquisitor
11-07-2011, 07:23
I might be tempted to drop the trappers for another bull (this would mean 3x3 with the two characters) ... but they're undeniably useful against WM. A solid list.

Another possibility then is to drop the BSB, put the rune maw back on the Ironguts and take a Butcher. Since they're loremasters, they're quite useful at low points values and just as tough as a bruiser... Lose out on the BSB re-roll but with the crown that's not a big deal. No ward save on a butcher is a bit of a pain though.

Mercules
11-07-2011, 18:23
I would change 2 things. My Tyrant would get the Wyrdstone Necklace as your BSB auto-dies if you loose the combat and break meaning there is a higher chance he will just die with all his wounds than the Tyrant doing the same.

I would also get some Gnoblar Fighters for redirecting the Rune maw too. Maybe drop the Trappers to do so or the Champions. Probably the Champions.