PDA

View Full Version : Does heavy armor + shield slow units down?

Wizzerdrix
11-07-2011, 07:23
I have the 6th edition rulebook and I can't find info about it anywhere. I just have a notion that I read it somewhere. Is it true? Will my wight lord with movement 4 slow his skeleton regiment down to movement 3 if he wears heavy armor + shield?

OldMaster
11-07-2011, 07:25
Dear Wizzedrix,

No, he won't.

Cheers

danny-d-b
11-07-2011, 07:54
you will have read it in mordime posssibly- thats the only place I know of where heavy armour and shield slows you down (-1 movement) the only armour that slows things down is barding on warhorses (not counting adding light armour to gobos makes them non fast cav I think)

theshoveller
11-07-2011, 08:02
you will have read it in mordime posssibly- thats the only place I know of where heavy armour and shield slows you down (-1 movement) the only armour that slows things down is barding on warhorses (not counting adding light armour to gobos makes them non fast cav I think)
The Fast Cavalry thing is true of a lot of units, not just Gobbos ("if you add [armour option x], the unit is no longer considered Fast Cavalry"). It's definitely true of Empire Outriders and Chaos Marauder Horsemen.

T10
11-07-2011, 08:10
I have the 6th edition rulebook and I can't find info about it anywhere. I just have a notion that I read it somewhere. Is it true? Will my wight lord with movement 4 slow his skeleton regiment down to movement 3 if he wears heavy armor + shield?

That's a hold-over from 4th and 5th (possibly earlier, too) where heavy armor + shield reduced your Movement by -1 and barding for your steed reduced it by a further -1.

I can only assume that GW the extent to which this penalized heavy cavalry,os as a result all armies (except the Empire, and possibly the first Vampire Counts army book) received some sort of special rule that negated this penalty.

But that's in the past.

I'm surprised they seem to be holding on to the -1 movement penalty for barding, though. Why not leave the Movement unchanged but have the model lose it's Swiftstride rule instead?

(Correct answer: "Because you're not the game designer, T10!")

-T10

theshoveller
11-07-2011, 11:04
I'm surprised they seem to be holding on to the -1 movement penalty for barding, though. Why not leave the Movement unchanged but have the model lose it's Swiftstride rule instead?

Presumably because that wouldn't balance against slower-than-average cavalry units that get the barding effect (without barding) such as Cold Ones and (I think, they always used to) Boars. If you then removed Swiftstride than all of them, those units wouldn't be much faster than the nippier infantry units (i.e. Elves and Skaven), which strains credibility.

T10
11-07-2011, 11:28
Meh. I don't like this nay-saying! My idea is great! Great, I tell you!

-T10

theshoveller
11-07-2011, 12:55
Meh. I don't like this nay-saying! My idea is great! Great, I tell you!
I feel your pain. :D