PDA

View Full Version : How old is Commisar Yarrick

TheScreamingGodKing
11-07-2011, 10:07
Yarrick was already old when the war began and was scheduled to retire on the day the Orks landed
Warhammer Wikia

The Third War for Armageddon was fought in the latter years of M41, fifty seven years to the day after the Second War for Armageddon
Lexicanum

How old is the dude, he seems pretty badass and can take alot of punishment

Scammel
11-07-2011, 10:33
I don't think it's that unusual, given a decent quality of life and rejuvenat treatments, for imperial citizens to reach 200 years. To hazard an educated guess, I'd perhaps say he could be over 150/under 200 at the time of the 2nd war, with the gap between the 2nd and 3rd tipping him over 200.

TheScreamingGodKing
11-07-2011, 10:34
But isnt standard of living in Imperium bad plus his numerous battle wounds

Jo-Jo
11-07-2011, 10:39
Meh. He's a hero of the Imperium, a figurehead. They'll keep him alive, as much as he has the incredible will to live also.

Didn't Eisenhorn reach five hundred years old?

Lord Solar Plexus
11-07-2011, 10:43
But isnt standard of living in Imperium bad plus his numerous battle wounds

Certainly. That doesn't mean that some will live way above the standard. Yarrick surely gets his apple a day. You know, they even pondered to replace that cereal rooster with his profile.

Battle wounds? Bah, nothing but scratches.

Grimmeth
11-07-2011, 10:46
It's not unusual for rich/influential figures to hit extreme ages. But they're kept alive with various tonics, bionics,gene treatments etc.
Average Joe nobody may have a pretty short lifespan, but for a hero of the Imperium and a figurehead Yarrick will have some of the best equipment around thrown at him.

Eisenhorn was 198 by the close of events in the Eisenhorn trilogy - he did survivie for a while after that though (unsure exactly how long.)

Jo-Jo
11-07-2011, 10:51
Yes but in the Inquisition rule book he has many more adventure, and I seem to remember it been said he reached five hundred, albeit with leg supports to even walk around.

Lord of Divine Slaughter
11-07-2011, 11:52
Hmm..

I first remember young Yarrick from an issue of White Dwarf, where he appeared with Ghazkul Thraka ... I believe it was a number in the late 130's, and guessing it was around '92. So thats about 19 years :)

Latro_
11-07-2011, 12:14
Also factor in warp travel/storms can add further crazyness into he mix. You can enter one end and come out the other with a day passing for you but 100 years passing in realspace for everyone else, even thousands of years potentially.

Grimmeth
11-07-2011, 12:23
Yes but in the Inquisition rule book he has many more adventure, and I seem to remember it been said he reached five hundred, albeit with leg supports to even walk around.

I knew he had more but remember he went very radical though, so it's quite possible Cherubael helps to keep him alive much longer than that...
I was just using that figure as an example of the age of some higher-ups in the Imperium, Yarrick could quite easily be around 200 (Lexicanum states he was about to retire when Ghazkghull first hit Armageddon)

Okuto
11-07-2011, 15:55
Too old, man needs to retire lol.

Ole one eye 'nowz how da fight 'ut he's gittn weedy, 'aybez tey put um inna kan 'nd ten he canz 'ead 'ard 'nd killy

igwarlord
11-07-2011, 17:58
the trick is that in 40k all years are based on rotations of Terra around Sol
when traveling through the warp ships can be gone for years or show up before they actually left
in the Ciaphas Cain novels he is just at the point of retiring to teach in his 2nd century
also they mention Rejuv treatments alot to keep them young and in the pocket of the inquisition

nagash66
11-07-2011, 18:10
His too old for this S**t.

Or so his old commisariat buddy Murdoc keeps telling him.

Chem-Dog
11-07-2011, 18:22
I don't think it's that unusual, given a decent quality of life and rejuvenat treatments, for WEALTHY imperial citizens to reach 200 years.

Lime green addition to make the statement factually correct :D

Meh. He's a hero of the Imperium, a figurehead. They'll keep him alive, as much as he has the incredible will to live also.

This has got me thinking. Doubles. Would it not be entirely reasonable to assume that a high profile champion such as "The Old Man" might be replaced should he finally fall foul of illness and degeneration?

Didn't Eisenhorn reach five hundred years old?

I don't think he was ever stated as getting that far along, I seem to remember 300ish. Even so, it that chronological (IE Years since year of birth) or actual years (total compiled time alive). It would be quite easy (within 40K's framework) for someone to hit the Half K or more if you just subtract they year they were born from the current date....

The Inquisition rule book mentions a couple of brief intervals in his continued career, certainly not an indication of anything other than his continued work, and by extention his association with Devlan, Severina & Sevora.

Too old, man needs to retire

He did, then that jerk Ghazghkull Thraka showed up again and stomped all over his petunias :mad::mad: