PDA

View Full Version : Use of miniatures with WFRP

Brandir
01-06-2005, 18:15
Do you intend to use miniatures with your games of WFRP?

I do. I find that combat works easier if one uses minis. I have asked my players to provide a mini for their character (I may even award bonus xps!).

For 'monsters' I will use some generic minis and/or various coloured glass tokens.

Keravin
01-06-2005, 20:09
I probably won't be, but that's because I'm planning on running WFRP online.

I have done in the past though.

TheeForsakenOne
01-06-2005, 20:50
It would be nice but I don't want to force my players to make up a minis. Or if I use a map I don't have anything to draw a map to a decent size to use for minis.

Although its tempting to try to use the rules for a fantasy version of Inquisitor.

Rykion
01-06-2005, 20:50
I've always used miniatures in my WFRP games. I have most of the old and new plastics to represent monsters and NPCs. I don't get into super detail with the miniatures. I just use them to let the players see the general layout of a combat. I find that it helps prevent GM and player mistakes about who is fighting what in large combats.

Baggers
01-06-2005, 22:21
I have recently started GMing my groups first set of adventures and so far its going ok. I dont see the point of using models, though it is nice to see your character in 28mm metal/plastic what use does it provide.

I see using models in the actual combat actually incresses the amount of work put into scenario as you have to provide somewhere they can use the models in one on one combat. Which is fine if were in the sewers as my group has access to Warhammer Quest. But in most circumstances were not in the sewers.

I perfer to let my rather imaginative bunch use their imagination for combat, giving the barest discription avaliable and allowing them their own personal view on this world.

On the hand of large combats we have never really got past two adversiers vs the adventures. So I do not know what it is like. So can not comment.

Rathgar
01-06-2005, 22:24
My group (i'm the GM) uses min's for the PC, but if we can't get hold of any to represent the monsters/NPC we use bases, so a bit like you Brandir. It really helps to give an idea of who's where etc...

EDIT: But we only use mins when it comes to combat situations.

Brandir
01-06-2005, 22:32
I have no intention of using minis for anything other than combats.

Once I played a game of D&D where the DM insisted on drawing the dungeon on laminated A0 graph paper, making in an almost tabletop wargame, which is not what I wanted. It was probably my last 'dungeon crawl' and I would not like to go back to those days. I think that RPGs are becoming far more sophisticated and consequently more satisfying. I understand and accept your argument about imagination.

But trust me, having floor plans and minis/tokens makes combats a much better experience. This will be particularly useful in my group where I will have up to six players (the WFRP campaign I intend to start next week is proving very popular, it is as though the whole wargaming club is actually make up of RPGers playing tabletop battles because they though no-one else would play RPGs!).

Anyway Baggers, are you using the second ed published adventures or are you making up your own?

Rykion
01-06-2005, 22:43
I see using models in the actual combat actually incresses the amount of work put into scenario as you have to provide somewhere they can use the models in one on one combat. Which is fine if were in the sewers as my group has access to Warhammer Quest. But in most circumstances were not in the sewers.

It can be more work if you worry about trying to represent the environment, but even that can be easily done with a markable mat and a marker. I usually just put miniatures on the table and describe the creatures and the environment. The miniatures are there only to help the players visualize relative positions. That way a player doesn't accidently run in the middle of a mob of goblins, target the wrong creature, or leave the wizard undefended. I've been in several games where what I said I was attacking and what the GM thought I said I was attacking weren't the same thing. :confused: I don't turn the RPG in to a tactical miniatures game. A player simply points at a NPC/monster mini and asks if they can charge it, if its in range of his bow, etc.

Baggers
01-06-2005, 22:43
Anyway Baggers, are you using the second ed published adventures or are you making up your own?

We are currently working through the Plundered Vaults books having done Sing for your supper and finishing the Haunting Horror earlier tonight. As most of the group including myself is new to this WFRP gig we are testing out everything.

However I have been changing a few of the plot lines so that I have an overall theme running through, so they get to see a characters progression in the game.

It can be more work if you worry about trying to represent the environment, but even that can be easily done with a markable mat and a marker.

That is true it can be done easily enough with markers and so on. But that would require at least some artistic ability of which I have none. And the only member I know for sure is leaving us for a while.

I A player simply points at a NPC/monster mini and asks if they can charge it, if its in range of his bow, etc.

I don't feel that would work for the kind of scenarios we are playing as recently they have been in engaged in scenarios where the events take place in hosues so generally by the time anything happens there within range to attack anyway. Its like =][= to me as there are no ranges in that game its down to players and game masters taste to see how hard things are.

Kelroth
01-06-2005, 22:51
Same as Keravin, although I'll be joining an online group run by someone else.

Brandir
01-06-2005, 22:57
What programme/web site do you use to play online?

Rykion
01-06-2005, 23:02
I agree that digging out miniatures for small fights( 1 or 2 opponents) is probably more trouble than its worth. The last fight my group engaged in was against a necromancer and his 3 zombies. The fight was spread out over the characters' campsite. I found using miniatures helped prevent confusing the zombies in my and the player's minds. It also helped build tension as the zombies advanced on a stunned character miniature that failed his WP roll.

Baggers
01-06-2005, 23:02
I am geussing if you organise it it would be done over MSN, AOL Instant Messenger, IRC or other such similar programme. Though a web forum like this one or an MSN group would work just as well. I use to belong to a play by email warhammer group that used Paint to create battlefeilds and move units and online dice rollers to roll dice.

Brandir
02-06-2005, 13:09
Interesting interview with Chris Pramas of Green Ronin about WFRP:

http://www.gamingreport.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=Sections&file=index&req=viewarticle&artid=147

Keravin
02-06-2005, 13:11
What programme/web site do you use to play online?

I use a private one. Standard forum layout. Not using irc.

Main issue I think I'm going to have is how to do the character sheets for online.

Baggers
02-06-2005, 19:41
Keravin you could scan the spreadsheet in as a document you can write on, but that is not the most effective way though. Perhaps a spread sheet of some sort.

Brandir thanks for the article.

Kelroth
02-06-2005, 19:45
Baggers, not over MSN. IRC and AIM both have dice-rolling scripts, though.

Brandir, our group is currently in the 'interest?' stages. We have a GM and about 8 people willing to participate, so now we're waiting to see what the GM does. However, he's looking at either something web-based (the link to which I've utterly forgotten) or using mIRC. I guess he knows what he's doing.

neXus6
03-06-2005, 00:55
All the WFRP I've played we used models to keep the combat running more smoothly, it's easier to think when you have a physical representation of what's going on to look at.

I'm not sure if I'm going to be playing the new WFRP but if something does get organised I'd say models for combat would be the way to go.

Bubble Ghost
03-06-2005, 02:02
We tried using models, but found it was rubbish. It distracted us from the actual roleplaying parts of the game; it felt like playing a game within a game. You start thinking in a detached, wargame-like way, thinking about nothing but how to tactically triumph in this particular encounter. Sticking to doing it in our heads helped us stay in character, so that's what we do every time now.

neXus6
03-06-2005, 02:42
I must admit I wouldn't have any problem doing it without models it's just that when I've played WFRP we've not been doing it that seriously. I'd agree with Bubble Ghost when it comes to "serious" role playing.

Brandir
03-06-2005, 07:52
I hope that GW produce some WFRP career based minis. Yes, I know that the Mordheim minis are excellent for use with WFRP, but I'd like to see some GW minis to represent an Elf rat catcher, for instance:)

Rathgar
03-06-2005, 12:16
We can but hope! :D

It would be very nice to see some peasant or noble models. Or maybe even Initiates of the different Gods. Or hedge wizards. Or Students!!
I don't think it'll ever happen, but you've got me all excited by speculating :cries:

Keravin
03-06-2005, 12:20
For the Nobles I might just use the Cadwallon figures from Rackham if they ever come out.

Brandir
03-06-2005, 12:58
But companies like Heresy and Hasselfree may???

Keravin
03-06-2005, 14:26
But companies like Heresy and Hasselfree may???

Pardon?

The Cadwallon figures have been previewed for 2 years now and don't appear to be coming out until the game finally surfaces some time next year.

Brandir
03-06-2005, 14:39
Haselfree and Heresy are both UK based mini designers who used to work for GW:

Heresy Miniatures (http://www.heresyminiatures.com/)

I particularly like:

http://www.heresyminiatures.com/images/hh016_vanhalfling_front.jpg

Hasselfree Miniatures (http://hasslefreeminiatures.co.uk/)

Keravin
03-06-2005, 14:49
I'd seen Heresy before - mostly the Thrud figure. Very exaggerated characteristics - yeah even compared to GW :)

Not seen Hasslefree before though so cheers for the link.

Baggers
03-06-2005, 18:20
Heresy designer Andy was a manager at Warhammer World he never scuplted for them.

Brandir
04-06-2005, 08:50
Baggers, I'm in a very grumpy mood this morning so I am going to be pedantic. Sorry. I did not say that Andy was a sculptor at GW, merely that he worked their. Admitedly one would get the impression that I implied he was a sculptor at GW. But then again your post did not say I got facts incorrect in my post so why am I grumpy? Why do I rant and rave and waffle and meander in my posts? What am I doing here at my computer when I could be painting Von Halfling (the model that represents my Hobbit bounty hunter)?

Andy seems to have learnt his craft from colleagues at GW and Wargames Foundry. He also seems to have had the balls to follow his heart and do what he wanted to do, unlike me who is stuck in a rut of a job beause I can't afford to quarter my salary and do a job I want to.

Anyway, back on track. I intend to award those players who turn up with an appropriate mini a one-off bonus of 50 experience point.

Opinions?