PDA

View Full Version : Interesting vs Insane! (Malorian vs Seabo 2500)

Malorian
12-07-2011, 06:17
So Seabo told me he was looking for a game and had an 'interesting list' planned. Not being a gamer to be one upped in the interesting department, I went about putting together a crazy orc and goblin list...

Orb warboss w/ wyvern, enchanted shield
Orb warboss w/ wyvern, shield

Lvl 2 goblin shaman w/ wolf, scroll
Snagla gobspit
Night goblin big boss w/ great cave squig, light armor, shield, spear
Goblin big boss w/ gigantic spider, light armor shield, spear

38 spiders w/ banner, champ
9 wolves w/ spear, short bow, banner

6 trolls
5 savage orc boar boys w/ shields
5 orc boar boyz w/ shield, spear

Arachnarok
Giant

Total: 2499

Yup that's right, 4 thunder stomps! But if I get the watchtower or blood and glory I'm screwed :p

For Seabo's part he has told me he will either be beastmen, ogres, or dark elves, but from what I gathered he is looking at his beastmen the most.

So the game will be tomorrow (tuesday) and I'll get the report up ASAP. Until then bet how you think this will pan out...

Edit:

So I made up the video report but my connection up here is REALLY slow so it's probably going to have to wait until the weekend to upload :( But I still know how to type!

Edit to the edit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgPy0QKpNb0

Here is Seabo's list:

Doombull-Ramhorn Helm, HA, Sh, Dawnstone, Sword of Swift Slaying, Uncanny Senses
Gorebull-BSB, Dragonhelm, HA, Sh, Gold Sigil Sword, Many-limbed Fiend
70 Ungors-Sp, FC w/Ungrol Four-horn
2 Tuskgor Chariots
22 Minotaurs-AHW, Musi, Bloodkine w/Ruby Ring of Ruin
2 spawn

The mission we got was meeting engagement and there was a bunch of terrain but most of it didn't come into play other than 2 buildings in his deployment zone and a mysterious forest in the top right corner. Amazingly neither of us rolled a 1 during deployment.

He won the roll and deployed his minotaurs between the buildings, the spawn behind the right one, the ungors to the right of the building, and a chariot on either flank. I then deployed from left to right: savage boars, wyvern, arachnarok, *space*, wolves to bait and general wyvern and trolls behind, *space*, giant, spiders, cave squig, gigantic spider, boar boyz.

The spiders vanguarded into the woods, which turned out to be a fungus forest, and I didn't steal first turn.

Pre-Game Thoughts:

Drat, he did bring out the mino-horde... I had hoped to stomp infantry all game but my monsters don't get to thunderstomp minotaurs and in return all those str 5 attacks (plus characters) would finish me off in a round or two.

With that in mind I decided to play the running game. The plan was to sweep out on either side to encircle, crush his support units (including ungors), and then only commit to the minos if he gives me a flank or more realistically a double flank so he can't combat reform, but to be honest Seabo isn't an idiot and I can't see that happening.

Turn 1 Mino-Horde:

Minos passed LD to not charge wolves. Spawn move to the right, minos move down, and ungors reform to face right after a failed swift reform.

His magic was a bust, and would be for pretty much the entire game.

The great thing here was that he effectively split his forces, leaving the ungors to fend for themselves.

Turn 1 Monster-Mash:

Animosity and stupidity are passed. This would continue for the entire game as, like during deployment, it seemed the 1s were missing from my dice.

Looking to get to it, the spiders and giant charge the ungors but thanks to the placement of the spawn there simply wasn't room to fit the giant in and so he failed the charge. Otherwise everything moved out of LOS of the minos with the wolves and general wyvern moving between his units.

In the magic phase I make the minos Itchy and reduce their movement to 1.

In combat Gobspit challenges Ungrol to a challenge and they kill each other, thanks to a failed fury test the ungors only kill 9 spiders, then the spiders kill 16 back, and thanks to being out of range of the characters the ungors break and are ran down which panics the right chariot off the board.

So a pretty fantastic turn which now has me just where I want to be.

Turn 2 Mino-Horde:

Spawn both hit the flank of the spiders, and the minos just shift a bit up against the building to that I can't hit him with both monsters on the left flank, the wolves are blocking the trolls/giant on the right, and only the general wyvern could hit the right flank.

Again this was perfect as right now my main enemy is the clock and the more time he spends spinning his wheels the better.

In combat he rolls badly and only kills 2 spiders and in return I do 2 wounds back, so I win and combat reform to face them.

Turn 2 Monster-Mash:

Arachnarok charges the left chariot and it fails terror and runs off the board. Otherwise everything encircles, with the gigantic spider looking to help against the spawn.

In the shooting phase I show my dominance and do 1 wound to a mino ;), and in the magic turn I make the minos movement 1 again.

In combat I do another wound or something to the spawn and they are unbreakable.

Turn 3 Mino-Horde:

With Seabo looking around, wondering what to do with his movement 1 minotaurs with monsters on every side and trying to figure out the best way to reform them, I decide to work a little psychology and say "Hey, you could swift reform and go into the building. That would keep them safe." He falls for it :D

In combat I leave only 1 spawn with 1 wound, but before I did that they went nuts on me and I lose combat, break, and get away (jumping over the giant and the trolls) however it panics the gigantic spider off the board.

Turn 3 Monster-Mash:

Boar boyz charge the 1 wound spawn, spiders rally, and EVERYTHING converges on the building, making sure to be all around it so that there is no way even the characters can sneak out.

In combat my brand new boar boyz whiff their 8 str 5 attacks and luckily the spawn does equally crappy.

Turn 4 Mino-Horde:

It's now, with his only unit being boarded up in a building, that Seabo realizes my trickery and his mistake. The gorebull waves his ruby ring in anger, but that's all he can do.

Turn 4 Monster-Mash:

So at this point I could just do NOTHING and win the game, but what would be the fun in that :D

The arachnarok charges the building and everything else that isn't around the building moves closer to watch.

In combat be uses the dooombull and 2 minos to fight and I decide to try a little character assassination. I was thrilled when venom surge got far enough to force an armor save but that quickly faded when I revealed his rerollable 1+ save and the ramhorn helm. My arachnarok left the building with only half his wounds left, no damage done to the doom bull, and now the mino-horde had +1 attack...

Turn 5 Mino-Horde:

The doombull and gorebull play a game of checkers to pass the time...

Turn 5 Monster-Mash:

With the spider half dead I decide to send in the giant but, even though a wound done by a head butt means he did better than the arachnarok, in the end he limps out with only 2 wounds left.

Turn 6 Mino-Horde:

Fed up with doing nothing he throws all dice at the ruby ring, gets irresistible force, ends up with 5 hits against the giant, and kills him. The giant falls on the building and wounds a minotaur.

Turn 6 Monster-Mash:

Looking around I really didn't want to charge with anything. I mean the trolls could do ok but the general wyvern is blocking them. Seabo however uses his own psychology and talks me into a general fight, so the general charges in, issues a challenge and it's on!

As expected the doom bull absolutely tears the warboss apart, the wyvern attack only means that the doombull gets to bounce the attack back and kick it in the nuts, and the riderless wyvern crawls out of the building. He wouldn't get any points since the wyvern is alive other than the 100 for killing the general, but he's made his point.

Victory to the Orcs!

Post-Game Thoughts:

It's a lovely thing when a plan comes together like this one did.

It should be noted here that people should keep in mind how I dealt with the mino-horde. All too often I read about "OMG! This unit is unbeatable! How do I beat it?" and the answer more often than not is to not try and just kill everything else. That mino-horde was beastly, and I think even in a perfect situation where I hit both his flanks to pin him in with my best units that he would still end up ripping me apart.

With the game over Seabo wanted a rematch (he REALLY want to see his mino-horde tear something up) but I turned him done due to both time and the fact that I would just do the same thing again.

Anyway hope you liked it, and who knows, maybe when the last of my trolls come in and I can do my troll horde we can have a mino/troll bash of epic proportions :D

Congrats to Chaos Undecided, Guillelmus, meowser, RealMikeBob, StrangeGuy, Trodger87, Turandil, and Yrrdead for guessing right.

Seabo
12-07-2011, 07:06
I voted....
SHHH! It's a secret!
4 Thunderstomps.....ACCCK!

StormCrow
12-07-2011, 07:06
It's an interesting list, but perhaps you should have a gentlemens agreement to fight a pitched battle to avoid embarrasment :p

Looking forward to seeing what duel wyvern riders can do!

meowser
12-07-2011, 16:10
My bet's on seabo bringing doombull + ghorros + dual ghorgon :3

drear
12-07-2011, 16:15
its going to be damn interesting, especially if he takes monsters too D:

Malorian
12-07-2011, 16:25
My bet's on seabo bringing doombull + ghorros + dual ghorgon :3

There is a very real posibility that he's bringing a mino-horde+characters, and if he does that it's going to be VERY tough.

Even without great weapons that unit will eat my monsters like nothing.

It should be noted that this is the first time in one of my polls that I actually voted against myself ;)

Seabo
12-07-2011, 19:17
Mino Horde? Why would I do a crazy thing like that? :evilgrin:

TsukeFox
12-07-2011, 20:15
Hoping to see beastman at battle !!
Surprised that neither one of the wyvern riders are not packing a wizards hat.

Djekar
12-07-2011, 21:22
Mino horde? Nope. Now a Razorgore horde...

I actually voted that he would bring the ogres and trash you after the crafty Seabo has seen this list and realized that most of his OK army would be immune to those nasty T-Stomps. But in all honesty I'm really thinking that whatever Seabo brings will only have a single banner and you will roll Blood and Glory 3 times in a row. Wamp wamp.

Malorian
12-07-2011, 21:37
I'm working under the assumption that he made his list BEFORE he saw mine ;)

Seabo
12-07-2011, 23:29
I'm working under the assumption that he made his list BEFORE he saw mine ;)

I actually made this list after you said you were making a whacked out list but BEFORE I read the post :).
I've always wanted to play a true Mino Horde but it is insanely expensive. 2500 is the minimum size and even then it accounts for pretty much half the points.
Here's what I'm bringing:
Doombull-Ramhorn Helm, HA, Sh, Dawnstone, Sword of Swift Slaying, Uncanny Senses
Gorebull-BSB, Dragonhelm, HA, Sh, Gold Sigil Sword, Many-limbed Fiend
70 Ungors-Sp, FC w/Ungrol Four-horn
2 Tuskgor Chariots
18 Minotaurs-AHW, Musi, Bloodkine w/Ruby Ring of Ruin

No Gors and no Bray-shamans...Only 1 offensive magic item. I was going to throw in the Berserker Sword on the Bloodkine but then figured what the heck...EAT MAH FIREBALLS YOU SON OF A MUSHROOM!!!
:D
@Djekar
I was actually thinking of bringing one huge unit of 20+ Bulls and a few hundred Gnoblars but we just moved so they are mostly packed somewhere :(. As for a Horde of Razorgors? Someday man, someday...

meowser
12-07-2011, 23:38
this game is going to be amazing...

Sexiest_hero
13-07-2011, 09:38
I run the bloodkine with the ruby ring. I have it modeled as a nose ring. you should try adding centagors as troops.

Algovil
13-07-2011, 11:37
Interesting! Do the spiders stand any chance vs the minos? With poison they could be your best bet, am I right?=)

Malorian
13-07-2011, 15:43
Battle report added to the first post.

My stupid connection up here wouldn't allow me to upload the youtube report so that will have to wait until the weekend.

If you want to be notified as soon as it is ready you may want to subscribe to my youtube channel ;):angel: (MrMalorian)

Edit: Report's spelling mistakes and grammer fixed.

I should probably read these things over BEFORE I post them ;)

Borgnine
13-07-2011, 15:54
Were his ungors steadfast?

I think that you really lucked out by having the spell that makes the minos MV1. I think that other armies would have a lot harder time, as they wouldn't be able to neuter the super-unit like that.

Malorian
13-07-2011, 16:01
Yes they were steadfast but on their own leadership.

To be honest the movement 1 was just icing on the cake. The bigger part of it was staying out of his charge arc.

TsukeFox
13-07-2011, 16:07
Aw-Maybe a troll horde vs mino horde will be cool to watch

Seabo
13-07-2011, 22:32
Bleepity Bleepin Itchy stuff....that was rather annoying lol. Oh well :p. It was my game to lose and I completly whiffed it. Yes, 70 Ungors are Steadfast but on Ld6 and no BSB they were doomed. And I'm fairly certain I probably coulld have taken a flank charge and survived....meh. My Mino Horde will surface again, maybe to hammer some Dark Elves :D

Gabacho Mk.II
13-07-2011, 23:31
Is it me or am I seeing a trend here with 8th ed?

Horde lists trump any other 'tactical' lists.

Anyone???

Malorian
13-07-2011, 23:35
Is it me or am I seeing a trend here with 8th ed?

Horde lists trump any other 'tactical' lists.

Anyone???

Did you not notice who won? :confused:

w3rm
14-07-2011, 01:40

Sarcasssmmmmm!!

Yes! I like the youtube reports better but I can't view them at my home so go go written reports!! :D

meowser
14-07-2011, 04:00
Sounds like quite the unusual game, I don't know how sportsmanly I'd be having to deal with Malorian's hijynx :P Good read, and I hope to see these armies in action again

Gharof von Carstein
14-07-2011, 08:07
brains over brawn, so it seems.

Malorian
14-07-2011, 08:57
Youtube report is up: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgPy0QKpNb0

Gabacho Mk.II
14-07-2011, 18:13

oops, posted in the WRONG thread. :p

SevenSins
15-07-2011, 16:12
nice rep, poor Seabo though

if you can't beat them, run and hide?

Malorian
15-07-2011, 16:28
nice rep, poor Seabo though

if you can't beat them, run and hide?

Well... kill what you can and then hide, yes ;)

Shimmergloom
15-07-2011, 20:32
If you had gotten, blood and glory I think he would have been in bad shape as well. It looks like his fortitude was only 5. Take out the ungors and his bsb and you win.

Gork or Possibly Mork
16-07-2011, 05:31
Fun lists but the battle itself was a little disappointing.

I don't know i guess i was just expecting to see much more carnage.

Nice ruse though Mal.

russellmoo
16-07-2011, 21:56
I loved the list Mal- I also wonder though if there is a way to make it more competitive- I actually think a list with a ton of infantry would have been easier for Seabo to beat, as it would have been hard to get that unit of 100 NG's out of the way- while he mostly would have just killed 100 NG's but still-

Would Seabo have done better with 2 units of minotaurs, instead of the one?

Gork or Possibly Mork
21-07-2011, 06:22
Sorry to go off topic but im not gonna make a thread just to ask.

In one of your reports somewhere i read your thinking about selling off your Ogres?

Don't do it Mal! Wait for the book, then decide. I know in one of your podcast you kind of talked about not just getting rid of armies/models you don't like because you might like them and wish you had them when the new book comes out or something to that effect.

Anyway i don't know your reason, maybe you want to recoup some cash for more orcs & gobbo stuff, maybe your bored with ogres or just don't have time to paint them all or whatever the reason i think you should wait until the new book comes out. Or not

but...........wait for it............selfish reason coming...........:D

I will miss seeing your Ogre reports:( There's not alot of ogre reports around. I really enjoyed seeing them even if it was once in a blue moon.

Malorian
21-07-2011, 13:18
The ogres are pretty much gone.

I'm trading the whole 3K army to get my 3K bike army painted.

Then again I'm a kinda dissapointed with how long it's taking to get it done so the deal might come apart.

Toe Cutter
28-07-2011, 15:33
Just saying Seabo but if you have absolutely no magic defense then he is going to neuter you like that every single time (and twice on games day). If you'd have reformed the minos to a single rank of twenty four models he may have had less chance of scooting around the edges of it (would have allowed him to multicharge you too of course but you pays you money, you takes you chance). The single rank could also have been used to keep the ungors in range of the general if you so wished too.

Also, surely the mino bus is crying out for the inclusion of Ghorros to make units of centigors troops. Troops units with high movement rates able to pin stuff in place long enough for your minos to come and annihilate them? Yes please.

Malorian
28-07-2011, 15:37
I don't think that spreading them out into a single line would have been a good idea.

Pretty sure that at that point I could just charge with everything and break him.

That's a tactic I would use if facing a bunch of sneaky fast cav or skirmishers, but not an army of monsters.

Toe Cutter
28-07-2011, 20:31
Yeah I suppose if everything charged they'd probably struggle. If the chariots could be used to block off enough so that just the monsters got through then four monsters against the minotaurs might actually lead to a minotaur win with the doombull/gorebull making way to kill off the nastiest of the monsters in combat. Perhaps a compromise of two ranks of twelve :)